What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Emmit Smith promoted to ARI starting RB! (1 Viewer)

IDP4ME

Footballguy
Cardinals | Smith Promoted to Starting RB - from www.KFFL.comThu, 17 Jun 2004 10:35:04 -0700Darren Urban, of the East Valley Tribune, reports Arizona Cardinals head coach Dennis Green, in somewhat of a surprising move, has elevated RB Emmitt Smith to the No. 1 back on the team's depth chart. Smith hasn't started a game since the fifth game of the 2003 season, when he gained minus-1 yard on six carries and suffered a fractured scapula.
What?! This has got to be a motivational thing by Denny Green! Right?! I've got Shipp slated to start as my RB2 (yeah, yeah, I'd rather he was my RB3 but where I got him at I feel pretty lucky). Does anyone know the details here? Like, uh, what happened? Did Shipp hit on Green or something... my god man, what's the thinking here?!

It's hard to comment on just a small piece of information like that. It could mean a number of things:Shipp might have done something very bad, and Green is trying to instead publicly promote Emmitt instead of demoting Shipp.Green might have lost his mind.Green isn't serious.It's probably one of those three.

A 4th possibility: This report was either taken out of context or fabricated by a hack reporter.I'd want to hear this from multiple sources before I even start discussing it.

Emmitt is going to be the man in Arizona. Starting a very young QB and Wr's they need some veteran leadership on the field and Emmit will give them that. Shipp will be the RB that always dissapoints.

Even if Shipp gets the starting job back, I see this as a big negative. Obviously, he hasn't been impressive to this point.I think Shipp is a bit overrated. His 2002 numbers are nice, but his 2003 numbers are probably more indicitive of his true abilities. 3.6 YPC and 6.1 YPR aren't stellar averages. I wouldn't want to count on Shipp as my #2 RB this season.

A 4th possibility: This report was either taken out of context or fabricated by a hack reporter.I'd want to hear this from multiple sources before I even start discussing it.
Good point there, Ben.From the save EVT newspaper, FOUR days ago: A huge story in 2003, he's an afterthought in 2004, the backup running back for the Arizona Cardinals, which is kind of like being shipped second class to Siberia.“I signed up to be the starter, but I understand what my role is. He's No. 1, I'm No. 2.” -- Emmitthttp://www.eastvalleytribune.com/index.php?sty=22859

Even if Shipp gets the starting job back, I see this as a big negative. Obviously, he hasn't been impressive to this point.I think Shipp is a bit overrated. His 2002 numbers are nice, but his 2003 numbers are probably more indicitive of his true abilities. 3.6 YPC and 6.1 YPR aren't stellar averages. I wouldn't want to count on Shipp as my #2 RB this season.
Yep. You do not and will not see Shipp on any of my teams this year. My guess is that Green goes RB in the 2005 draft or he goes after his boy Bennet.

Emmitt is going to be the man in Arizona. Starting a very young QB and Wr's they need some veteran leadership on the field and Emmit will give them that. Shipp will be the RB that always dissapoints.
:confused: Emmitt Smith 2003 game logs:
Code:
+----------+-------------+--------+----+| WK  OPP  |  RSH   YD   |  RECYD | TD |+----------+-------------+--------+----+|  1  det  |   13    64  |     9  |  0 ||  2  sea  |   14    54  |     0  |  0 ||  3  gnb  |   20    50  |    16  |  0 ||  4  ram  |   12    25  |     0  |  1 ||  5  dal  |    6    -1  |     2  |  0 || 13  chi  |    1    -3  |     5  |  0 || 14  sfo  |    4    15  |     0  |  0 || 15  car  |    9    23  |     0  |  1 || 16  sea  |    4     9  |    27  |  0 || 17  min  |    7    20  |    48  |  0 |+----------+-------------+--------+----+|  TOTAL   |   90   256  |   107  |  2 |+----------+-------------+--------+----+
Marcel Shipp 2003 game logs:
Code:
+----------+-------------+--------+----+| WK  OPP  |  RSH   YD   |  RECYD | TD |+----------+-------------+--------+----+|  1  det  |    4    19  |     8  |  0 ||  2  sea  |    4     6  |     0  |  0 ||  3  gnb  |    7    24  |     1  |  0 ||  4  ram  |    0     0  |     3  |  0 ||  5  dal  |    9    31  |     0  |  0 ||  6  bal  |   14    61  |    47  |  0 ||  8  sfo  |   35   165  |     4  |  0 ||  9  cin  |   29   141  |    24  |  0 || 10  pit  |   22    63  |    40  |  0 || 11  cle  |    9    23  |    28  |  0 || 12  ram  |   24    95  |     2  |  0 || 13  chi  |   14    34  |    10  |  0 || 14  sfo  |   13    30  |     4  |  0 || 15  car  |   23    89  |     0  |  0 || 16  sea  |   12    32  |     4  |  0 || 17  min  |    9    17  |     9  |  0 |+----------+-------------+--------+----+|  TOTAL   |  228   830  |   184  |  0 |+----------+-------------+--------+----+
Your statement is asinine.

It's not as if Shipp's a rookie. I would think by year three you are a veteran. To start Emmitt over Shipp BECAUSE Emmitt has extra years of experience isn't a good decision.I have a hard time believing thirty-five year old Emmitt will be their starter.

AZCentral is also reporting the switch.

Following is from team website's MB:

According to Jurecki, Smith starts. Sorry Shipp fans, but Emmitt starts and according to Jurecki, Scobey has been running second. It seems to me that Shipp may have pizzed off Denny. I wouldn't be surprised if Shipp is cut in training camp. Either way, its cool to see that Green doesn't give a #### what the populace thinks. Bill Lewis said that Emmitt looked great at practices. Wow, big news.

The writing is on the wall. With the 3rd overall selection of the 2005 draft, Arizona selects, RB Carnell "Cadillac" Williams, Auburn.

I think getting 3 yards per carry out of your feature back would be more of a priority than veteran leadership. Emmitt looked washed up last year and unless he discovered the fountain of youth in the offseason, Shipp is the better back.

AZCentral is also reporting the switch.

Following is from team website's MB:

According to Jurecki, Smith starts. Sorry Shipp fans, but Emmitt starts and according to Jurecki, Scobey has been running second. It seems to me that Shipp may have pizzed off Denny. I wouldn't be surprised if Shipp is cut in training camp. Either way, its cool to see that Green doesn't give a #### what the populace thinks. Bill Lewis said that Emmitt looked great at practices. Wow, big news.
Interseting Capybara.I suppose it wouldn't be a shock to see Shipp get cut. But I still think it would be pretty shocking to see Emmitt start for the Cardinals. Especially with Antowain Smith, James Stewart, and maybe Eddie George available.

Emmitt doesn't have anything left in the tank, right?

The writing is on the wall. With the 3rd overall selection of the 2005 draft, Arizona selects, RB Carnell "Cadillac" Williams, Auburn.
Maybe the 1st overall if Emmit is starting.

I wouldn't want to count on Shipp as my #2 RB this season.
Yeah, well, me neither, but I don't have a lot of choice at this point. This could impact a lot of Shipp owners out there. And as for your assuming that his 2003 numbers (over his 2002 numbers) are more indicative of his ability, well I'd say that's a little early to say, don't you? I mean, there's been a few differences in AZ over the past year and with Denny Green supposedly getting more out of that OL, there's some promise in owning Shipp. Anyway, I would say he's a consensus RB3 with RB2 upside at this point. I would also like to point out that I agree it's tough to make any sort of guess as to what's going on here based on this limited information. But by the time we have all the pertinent information, this will be old news. My point in bringing this up was to draw on some AZ homers out there that might actually know something not yet reported by the mainstream and habitually lazy (cough, Pastabelli, cough) media. My secondary objective was to alert you guys as soon as possible in case any of you were in the midst of making deals, drafts, etc. To say this is premature to even discuss (which I don't think was your post, so don't take this personally) is ridiculous.

Bottom line: WHO CARES?! Between the 2 of them last year there was a total of 2 100+ yard rushing games and 2 touchdowns :thumbdown: . Unless you need to start 8 running backs in a 40 team league, leave both alone. :rotflmao:

But I still think it would be pretty shocking to see Emmitt start for the Cardinals. Especially with Antowain Smith, James Stewart, and maybe Eddie George available.
James Stewart seems like a good fit...he was showing promise in camp before his injury last year. I wouldn't be surprised to see this happen.

But I still think it would be pretty shocking to see Emmitt start for the Cardinals. Especially with Antowain Smith, James Stewart, and maybe Eddie George available.
James Stewart seems like a good fit...he was showing promise in camp before his injury last year. I wouldn't be surprised to see this happen.
He can also catch the ball, which is probably looked on favorably in this offense.Don't forget about something else:[rumor starter/] Green has all his ties still to Tice and Minnesota. Minnesota has too many RBs. Arizona doesn't have enough. [\rumor starter]

The Cardinals also have Emmitt Smith and Damien Anderson, however, there has been word out here in Phoenix that Dennis Green is intrigued by Josh Scobey because of his speed, and will look for ways to utilize him this season

Here are some of the latest writeups from the Phoenix area that discuss Scobey:

From the Arizona Sports Fan Network:

RB Josh Scobey. Now entering his third year in the league, Scobey is ready to make a significant mark on the football team. Tough and versatile, Scobey will emerge as one of the team's more productive role players. Look for Dennis Green to find ways to involve Scobey in the offense.

From Cardinals insider Mike Jurecki:

Third down back?

What a difference a year makes…the former sixth round pick in the 2002

draft, running back Josh Scobey, has caught the eye of Head Coach Denny

Green. There’s a strong possibility that if Scobey can pick up the mental part of the game, it could make him a more productive player with an opportunity to be on the field more. What Scobey needs to learn is his assignments, more importantly the blitz pickups. Green mentioned to me on Saturday that he likes Scobey’s speed and strength. It wouldn’t surprise me if the former Kansas State star doesn’t get the opportunity to become a third down back in this offense. Coming out of school he struggled catching the ball out of the back field, he just didn’t look natural catching the ball. He has improved in this area but he needs to take it to the next level. I can promise you this, he has turned Denny Green’s head.

This post has been edited by azcards33 on Jun 16 2004, 01:35 PM
Green has lauded Kendall and Davis, but over the spring he has called out the other starters. He's challenged Clement to play better than he did last year. Last week, he demoted Shelton, moving Davis from guard to tackle, although Shelton is expected to regain the spot. Right guard Cameron Spikes is in a battle for his job.

Last edited by a moderator:
He can also catch the ball, which is probably looked on favorably in this offense.Don't forget about something else:[rumor starter/] Green has all his ties still to Tice and Minnesota. Minnesota has too many RBs. Arizona doesn't have enough. [\rumor starter]
Get Switz and the Onterrio Hype Machine started up :gray: :gray:

The first Survivor Bombshell drops...no trades, no free agency, SOMEONE (or two people actually) are going to be LIVID.

Is it still possible (or likely might be the better question) for the Cardinals to make a trade? Someone mentioned Bennett as a possbility. Minnesota sure has the depth at RB to be able to pull that off. Denver is another team that comes to mind. Maybe they like Bell enough to trade Griffin away for a 2nd or 3rd rounder or something. That would be interesting -- to see Griffin in AZ.I can't remember -- is it highly unlikely for teams to make trades at this time of year?

Who's a better fit in Arizona? Michael Bennett or Onterrio Smith. ;)
I was being sarcastic...Bennet is obviously the better fit given that Green drafted him. Stewart may be the most likely scenario IF the Cards are considering parting ways with Shipp, which would still seem to be unlikely. Fun to speculate.

The first Survivor Bombshell drops...no trades, no free agency, SOMEONE (or two people actually) are going to be LIVID.
They deserve it. Shipp has never played a full NFL season as a starting runningback. Add in the presence of a new head coach....he had risk tattooed all over him. :yes: I'm looking forward to the Survivor drafts being released.

Green seems to like big play speed from his RBs. He drafted Bennett and raved about him. He has no ties to Onterrio.However, its not up to Arizona who could be moved. I don't see the Vikings making Bennett available. Onterrio? Maybe.

Get Switz and the Onterrio Hype Machine started up :gray:  :gray:
I was being sarcastic...Bennet is obviously the better fit given that Green drafted him. Stewart may be the most likely scenario IF the Cards are considering parting ways with Shipp, which would still seem to be unlikely. Fun to speculate.
Bennett certainly has the ties to Green, but I think it's more likely that they trade Smith.1) Bennett's the starter.2) Smith has a lower cap number I'm sure (fourth rounder vs. first rounder). Although doesn't Minny always have a ton of cap room?3) Arizona would likely have to give up less to get Smith.I could see either going to 'Zona, and the Bennett tie is certainly there. I just think Smith is probably more realistic.

I can't remember -- is it highly unlikely for teams to make trades at this time of year?
Yes, because almost all trades involve draft picks and there isn't another draft for 10 months. At this point in the year every team thinks they can compete and nobody's going to want to give up anything of substance for next year's draft choices.

Bennett certainly has the ties to Green, but I think it's more likely that they trade Smith.1) Bennett's the starter.2) Smith has a lower cap number I'm sure (fourth rounder vs. first rounder). Although doesn't Minny always have a ton of cap room?3) Arizona would likely have to give up less to get Smith.I could see either going to 'Zona, and the Bennett tie is certainly there. I just think Smith is probably more realistic.
Hard to say at this point, unless somebody has insider info on what Green thinks of Onterrio.

The only thing Shipp had going for him was his situation. Anyone who drafted him on the assumtion he was a great talent was fooling themselves.It's risky drafting marginally talented players because of their situation in the offseason since so much changes, and most people get burned doing so. Ya live ya learn I guess.Zona will be looking hard at aquiring a RB, Emmitt is not gonna go into the year as the main ball carrier.

I'm still not 100% sold that this is really the way it is going to be at the start of the season but man, what a bombshell. I haven't been as high on Shipp as many folks are but I thought he would be a serviceable option for the Cardinals this season at least.IF this is true, what a horrible blow for two of the squads in our Survivor challenge. Jason is right! Two owners are sobbing hysterically right now while staring in disbelief at the screen.

IF this is true, what a horrible blow for two of the squads in our Survivor challenge. Jason is right! Two owners are sobbing hysterically right now while staring in disbelief at the screen.
They will be getting no such sympathy from me :football:

I'm still not 100% sold that this is really the way it is going to be at the start of the season but man, what a bombshell. I haven't been as high on Shipp as many folks are but I thought he would be a serviceable option for the Cardinals this season at least.IF this is true, what a horrible blow for two of the squads in our Survivor challenge. Jason is right! Two owners are sobbing hysterically right now while staring in disbelief at the screen.
SERIOUSLY...everyone has to wait until Monday to find out, but there are going to be some reactions to this, guaranteed. :justreallyreallygladitsnotmehavingtodefendshippasadraftchoice:

I picked up E Smith as a desparation bye week fill in if necessary on my dynasty league. Does anybody think he will get alot of touchs after this announcement or is it more like everyone is posting that Arizona will trade for another back? With Smith missing most of last year I would think it's possible he might have 1 more year left in his tank.

IF this is true, what a horrible blow for two of the squads in our Survivor challenge. Jason is right! Two owners are sobbing hysterically right now while staring in disbelief at the screen.
Staff or MB'ers? After reading bagger's post defending Ship, and knowing he lives in AZ, I have a funny feeling that:bagger just got hit with a whammy and HAS NO CHANCE!

I picked up E Smith as a desparation bye week fill in if necessary on my dynasty league. Does anybody think he will get alot of touchs after this announcement or is it more like everyone is posting that Arizona will trade for another back? With Smith missing most of last year I would think it's possible he might have 1 more year left in his tank.
Anything is possible at this point. If Shipp did indeed bomb this miserably after all the positives Green had to say about him last month, then the Cardinals may indeed look to pickup somebody else or perhaps Josh Scoobey is the next great sleeper pick at RB.This article is from the Blogger, May 3rd

Cards notebook: Green impressed with Scobey

By Darren Urban, Tribune

The Cardinals’ running back landscape behind starter Marcel Shipp will be interesting over the next few months.

Coach Dennis Green is high on speedy Josh Scobey, the 2002 sixth-round pick, and before the draft even said he expects Scobey to be the second-string back in 2005, after Emmitt Smith’s contract expires.

It’s notable Scobey received a lot of reps during the just-completed minicamp with the second unit. But Scobey said he “wouldn’t have any idea” what that meant, and Green made it clear Smith was the backup to Shipp.

“Josh will still be a factor on special teams,” Green said. “But I don’t think it will be too much longer before he’ll be able to get out and make plays.”

Scobey, who turned into a good kickoff return man last season, is staying open to whatever Green might ask him to do.

“I’d be a liar to say I wouldn’t want to start someday in this league,” Scobey said. “Whatever opportunities are presented to me, I want to take advantage.”

PICK SIX

As for Shipp, the new coaches did notice he had 258 touches last season (228 carries, 30 receptions) without a touchdown, but Green said that won’t be repeated.

“I’ll be a big mouth and say I think he will score at least seven times this year,” Green said. “I think he is a fabulous back.”

Shipp isn’t sure how to interpret his end zone-less 2003.

“You always feel you could have gotten in once or twice, but it didn’t happen,” Shipp said. “You have to work on it, and that’s on me.”

I too have Emmitt as my RB5. While its always nice to see your guy get promoted on his team's depth chart, I'm not getting real excited about this. It is inconceivable to me that Arizona goes into the year with a 52 year old back as their main ballcarrier.

All I can say is CR@P! My roster is hurting enough. I was hoping Shipp would help me get by this year, especially after I got burned by the Smith signing last year. :wall: :cX: :rant: Shipp anyone?!?

On the one hand, I didn't think much of Shipp in the first place and was looking forward to people drafting him too high. On the other hand, lol @ so many people writing him off as the starter already and the idea of the Vikes trading away Bennett OR O. Smith. It's only June folks. This means very little right now.

On the other hand, lol @ so many people writing him off as the starter already and the idea of the Vikes trading away Bennett OR O. Smith.
I don't think we were writing him off...we were speculating that the Cardinals could make a move. I would say the odds are still with Shipp being the main ball carrier...those odds just are not as high as they were yesterday.

On the other hand, lol @ so many people writing him off as the starter already and the idea of the Vikes trading away Bennett OR O. Smith. 
I don't think we were writing him off...we were speculating that the Cardinals could make a move. I would say the odds are still with Shipp being the main ball carrier...those odds just are not as high as they were yesterday.
Well said.Just speculation right now. I feel confident that Emmitt Smith will not be their starter this year, and very confidnet that Emmitt won't be worth much for your fantasy team.Very curious situation though, to say the least.

Staff or MB'ers? After reading bagger's post defending Ship, and knowing he lives in AZ, I have a funny feeling that:bagger just got hit with a whammy and HAS NO CHANCE!
:rotflmao: :yes:

I would say the odds are still with Shipp being the main ball carrier...those odds just are not as high as they were yesterday.
I hope you're right, because Greens previous comments didn't prepare this Shipp owner for any of this.

I was thinking Arizona could finish 6-10 or 7-9 based on the potential to have an explosive offense. If this report is indeed true, and Emmitt is "named" the starter, I totally discredit Denny Green and the capability of the Arizona offense. If this is true, 4-12 season is on the horizon. :thumbdown:

I would say the odds are still with Shipp being the main ball carrier...those odds just are not as high as they were yesterday.
I hope you're right, because Greens previous comments didn't prepare this Shipp owner for any of this.
But Shipp's risk factors should have.

Users who are viewing this thread