What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

ESPN 30 for 30 (4 Viewers)

Wouldn't blame her. Chris looks hotter in her 50's then she did in her 20's. It was definitely a chick flick kind of documentary but I loved tennis in the 70's and 80's so I enjoyed it
I guess...female director/producer, forget who it was (really well known and I'm blanking here).But chick flick and possible lesbo angle aside, really well done show. Two great athletes who made each other better. The length of the competitive rivalry and number of times they met is astounding - they played 60 more matches against each other than Nadal-Federer.Had a big crush on Chrissie when she was 17 and dating Jimbo. Martina took the top spot away from her, so it took me longer to appreciate her. But over time I came to respect her more and more. Now she is up there with the tennis royalty, held in the same esteem as Billie Jean King and Margaret Court and Evonne Goolagong. Chris was always there - she never had to fight for that recognition. I don't know, maybe it was just harder to accept Marina back in the day. There is no question about it now, her records are overwhelming, and it seems silly she was ever under appreciated.
I believe Hannah Storm produced this one. :( I loved these two back in the 80's. But this doc was impossible to watch. Martina cannot tell a story, and Chris' stories were just lame and boring. Definitely got the sense though that Martina desperately lusted for Chris.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was amazed to hear that Navratilova and Evert played each other 80 times, and 60 of those matches were finals. 60 finals?!? I think the closest male rivalry was 15 finals. Sheesh.

I was amazed to hear that Navratilova and Evert played each other 80 times, and 60 of those matches were finals. 60 finals?!? I think the closest male rivalry was 15 finals. Sheesh.
Yeah, I mean, they dominated like nobody had before or since for like 10 or 15 years. I laugh when I hear people talk about the Williams sister and how they dominate the game and whether or not it's good for tennis and I think about Chris and Martina. The women's game certainly was not hurt by Chris and Martina and they appeared in almost every final on every surface for a decade.

Cleo Taurus said:
BobbyLayne said:
hammerva said:
Wouldn't blame her. Chris looks hotter in her 50's then she did in her 20's. It was definitely a chick flick kind of documentary but I loved tennis in the 70's and 80's so I enjoyed it
I guess...female director/producer, forget who it was (really well known and I'm blanking here).But chick flick and possible lesbo angle aside, really well done show. Two great athletes who made each other better. The length of the competitive rivalry and number of times they met is astounding - they played 60 more matches against each other than Nadal-Federer.Had a big crush on Chrissie when she was 17 and dating Jimbo. Martina took the top spot away from her, so it took me longer to appreciate her. But over time I came to respect her more and more. Now she is up there with the tennis royalty, held in the same esteem as Billie Jean King and Margaret Court and Evonne Goolagong. Chris was always there - she never had to fight for that recognition. I don't know, maybe it was just harder to accept Marina back in the day. There is no question about it now, her records are overwhelming, and it seems silly she was ever under appreciated.
I believe Hannah Storm produced this one. :hophead: I loved these two back in the 80's. But this doc was impossible to watch. Martina cannot tell a story, and Chris' stories were just lame and boring. Definitely got the sense though that Martina desperately lusted for Chris.
What man didn't back then?

Dexter said:
Really enjoyed tonight's episode. I just wish my wife wasn't dusting the whole time. :rolleyes:
DVR'd the Terry Fox story. Finally watched it.I vague;y remember this when I was a kid. Insoiring and tragic story.This episode was put together by Steve Nash.

Dexter said:
Really enjoyed tonight's episode. I just wish my wife wasn't dusting the whole time. :clap:
DVR'd the Terry Fox story. Finally watched it.I vague;y remember this when I was a kid. Insoiring and tragic story.This episode was put together by Steve Nash.
Really good episode I thought. Also excited to see the next one on the Yankees losing to the Red Sox.

I thought the Yankee one was a boring as it wasn't a story worth being told in my opinion (most will disagree with me on this). This last one was excellent however. The line that stuck with me was the woman who said that Terry was running for her son. When Terry asked where he was, she responded that he had died a week ago.

best one by far for me...remembered well when all that was going down..sad story. glad Vlade and Petro's mum finally got some closure there.

One little tidbit i just loved was Jerry West admitting that no one on the Lakers staff at ever seen Divac play in person but at #28, What the hell why not take a shot!

I love that, today second rounders are being timed for how quickly they can sweep a kitchen and all that and in those days a first rounder was taken just because...

There were parts of the Drazen/Vlade story that seemed a bit contrived or surreal (Vlade at Drazen's grave, Vlade narrating over his own interview) but it was still very enjoyable.

I do wonder, however, if a Croatian audience would find the film as enjoyable as the Serbian audience. The film wasn't exactly friendly to the Croats.

Guys whats the actual purpose of all these 30 for 30's?

They probably are cheap to put together but they dont bring in monster ratings or to my knowledge even have DVD sales. So is it just for ESPN to attempt to gain some cred and put some quality stuff on the air?

It was Bill Simmons' idea: "To celebrate ESPN's 30th anniversary, let's get 30 filmmakers to make 30 documentaries about 30 stories that haven't been told before." That's pretty much it. As far as I know, the films were independently produced, and each one has its own personality and tone.

It was Bill Simmons' idea: "To celebrate ESPN's 30th anniversary, let's get 30 filmmakers to make 30 documentaries about 30 stories that haven't been told before." That's pretty much it. As far as I know, the films were independently produced, and each one has its own personality and tone.
ah, didnt know Simmons had that much clout, knew he was really into it with his constant tweets on 30 for 30.what number are they up to, the ones I have seen so far and really enjoyed were obviously tonights with Vlade and the one about the Soccer player with the gangs

One little tidbit i just loved was Jerry West admitting that no one on the Lakers staff at ever seen Divac play in person but at #28, What the hell why not take a shot!I love that, today second rounders are being timed for how quickly they can sweep a kitchen and all that and in those days a first rounder was taken just because...
I missed that. lol. Very cool

ah, didnt know Simmons had that much clout, knew he was really into it with his constant tweets on 30 for 30.what number are they up to, the ones I have seen so far and really enjoyed were obviously tonights with Vlade and the one about the Soccer player with the gangs
Same here. This one and "The Two Escobars" were by far my favorite

Wow was stunned when i just looked up the 4 guys stats from their NBA careers. Drazen had the most talent obviously and that was evident from his two years on the Nets where he was gonna be a breakout star had he not died. But though Divac had a really good NBA career and Kukoc excelled as a 5th player who really can chip in kind of guy, Dino Radja had awesome NBA stats in his 4 year Celtic career

His 4 years were better then any 4 year Divac stretch, wonder why he didnt get drafted when Vlade did as well?

The Vlade episode and the Columbian soccer episodes were far and away the best two.. Tonights episode was great. Thought it was surreal watching Vlade walk through the Croatian city on his way to Petro's mom's house. awesome.

I was a big fan of Drazen Petrovic when I was a kid. I was so pissed when the Blazers traded him for Walter Freaking Washed Up Davis. That trade single-handedly destroyed the chances of the Blazers winning the NBA Championship in 1991.

The Tim Richmond (race car driver, died from the AIDS in the late '80's) one playing now is good IMO.
It was pretty good. I didn't remember Richmond's story at all. They touched on the issue but didn't pursue it...it would be amazing if none of his partners were ever infected. I didn't see the Vlade episode so the Two Escobars is still my favorite. Tim Richmond's is top 5ish. Worth seeing.

At first, the Tim Richmond story made me hate NASCAR even more than I hated them before (Bill France claiming with a straight face that the drug test might have been faulty, but it wasn't faked :rolleyes: ). But after thinking about it, I ended up coming to the same conclusion that NASCAR did: a driver with full-blown AIDS probably shouldn't be on a racetrack driving 200 miles an hour with 30 other cars on the track with him. It was obvious that Richmond was very sick and very weak by 1988. I think it was in everyone's best interest for Richmond to be off the track.

I still think NASCAR is a bunch of cowards, though.

At first, the Tim Richmond story made me hate NASCAR even more than I hated them before (Bill France claiming with a straight face that the drug test might have been faulty, but it wasn't faked :ptts: ). But after thinking about it, I ended up coming to the same conclusion that NASCAR did: a driver with full-blown AIDS probably shouldn't be on a racetrack driving 200 miles an hour with 30 other cars on the track with him. It was obvious that Richmond was very sick and very weak by 1988. I think it was in everyone's best interest for Richmond to be off the track.I still think NASCAR is a bunch of cowards, though.
I found that particular segment interesting too. I'm a NASCAR fan so I have a different perspective... but I agree with your conclusion. I think France looked into the camera... and gave his 'thats my story and im stickin to it' line. He knows he was lying... but he did what he had ot do to keep Richmond off the track... and I actually agree with it even if it was a lie.The fact that the guy was visibly sick... and caughing all the time coupled with the 'unknown' factor of HIV... it made me realize they did do the right thing to keep him off the track. Just think if you were one of the other drivers. You would want the same thing.I recorded the Vlade one from last night. I doubt I'll watch it though. Im just not into NBA... or Serbia... or Croatia.

I recorded the Vlade one from last night. I doubt I'll watch it though. Im just not into NBA... or Serbia... or Croatia.
I'm not either but it was a great human interest story. I came into it a few minutes late but was hooked immediately. It's just really well done.

At first, the Tim Richmond story made me hate NASCAR even more than I hated them before (Bill France claiming with a straight face that the drug test might have been faulty, but it wasn't faked :confused: ). But after thinking about it, I ended up coming to the same conclusion that NASCAR did: a driver with full-blown AIDS probably shouldn't be on a racetrack driving 200 miles an hour with 30 other cars on the track with him. It was obvious that Richmond was very sick and very weak by 1988. I think it was in everyone's best interest for Richmond to be off the track.

I found that particular segment interesting too. I'm a NASCAR fan so I have a different perspective... but I agree with your conclusion. I think France looked into the camera... and gave his 'thats my story and im stickin to it' line. He knows he was lying... but he did what he had ot do to keep Richmond off the track... and I actually agree with it even if it was a lie.The fact that the guy was visibly sick... and caughing all the time coupled with the 'unknown' factor of HIV... it made me realize they did do the right thing to keep him off the track. Just think if you were one of the other drivers. You would want the same thing.

I recorded the Vlade one from last night. I doubt I'll watch it though. Im just not into NBA... or Serbia... or Croatia.
Do yourself a big favor and watch it. It's very well done.

At first, the Tim Richmond story made me hate NASCAR even more than I hated them before (Bill France claiming with a straight face that the drug test might have been faulty, but it wasn't faked :football: ). But after thinking about it, I ended up coming to the same conclusion that NASCAR did: a driver with full-blown AIDS probably shouldn't be on a racetrack driving 200 miles an hour with 30 other cars on the track with him. It was obvious that Richmond was very sick and very weak by 1988. I think it was in everyone's best interest for Richmond to be off the track.

I found that particular segment interesting too. I'm a NASCAR fan so I have a different perspective... but I agree with your conclusion. I think France looked into the camera... and gave his 'thats my story and im stickin to it' line. He knows he was lying... but he did what he had ot do to keep Richmond off the track... and I actually agree with it even if it was a lie.The fact that the guy was visibly sick... and caughing all the time coupled with the 'unknown' factor of HIV... it made me realize they did do the right thing to keep him off the track. Just think if you were one of the other drivers. You would want the same thing.

:lmao: Even if you aren't a basketball fan, this is a great story.

I was a big fan of Drazen Petrovic when I was a kid. I was so pissed when the Blazers traded him for Walter Freaking Washed Up Davis. That trade single-handedly destroyed the chances of the Blazers winning the NBA Championship in 1991.
To be fair the Pistons where unstoppable that year. He wouldn't have helped.

At first, the Tim Richmond story made me hate NASCAR even more than I hated them before (Bill France claiming with a straight face that the drug test might have been faulty, but it wasn't faked :thumbup: ). But after thinking about it, I ended up coming to the same conclusion that NASCAR did: a driver with full-blown AIDS probably shouldn't be on a racetrack driving 200 miles an hour with 30 other cars on the track with him. It was obvious that Richmond was very sick and very weak by 1988. I think it was in everyone's best interest for Richmond to be off the track.

:lmao: Even if you aren't a basketball fan, this is a great story.
Agreed. It's fantastic, and I'm a big NBA fan

Is this Marion Jones show trying to make the viewer feel sorry for her or something? Gimme a break. You made your bed now lay in it honey!

Finally got around to seeing the Two Escobars and thought it was fantastic. Glad I got to catch it. Little Big Men and the Vlade show were also very good. The rest have been pretty meh.

Users who are viewing this thread