What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

ESPN 30 for 30 (2 Viewers)

The Two Escobars just raised the bar to another level. One of the best documentaries I've ever seen. Very riveting.

Also found it interesting that the death of Len Bias, which was another great 30/30 episode, was actually the catalyst which set off a chain of events which culminated in the deaths of both Escobars.

If I could make a criticism of The Two Escobars, it's that the filmmakers did not examine the direct link between the drug lords and the soccer teams until the very end of the film (i.e., the reason the team was so good in the first place is because it was supported by drug money). The film treats the two subjects like parallel worlds that only occasionally intersect, but in reality they were closely intertwined from the beginning. But I guess that subject could have been its own film entirely.

It was also weird that Andres Escobar was depicted as being very meek and shy -- almost like a ghostly figure who knew his time on Earth was going to be short. I wonder if that was a deliberate move by the filmmakers, or if Escobar really did act like a dead man walking.

If I could make a criticism of The Two Escobars, it's that the filmmakers did not examine the direct link between the drug lords and the soccer teams until the very end of the film (i.e., the reason the team was so good in the first place is because it was supported by drug money). The film treats the two subjects like parallel worlds that only occasionally intersect, but in reality they were closely intertwined from the beginning. But I guess that subject could have been its own film entirely.
Did you miss the first hour? Early on they covered how Pablo bankrolled a couple teams. How he had a ref killed who jobbed one of his teams in the championship game. Etc.Heck, they even described how the drug lords laundered money through their soccer teams.

The Two Escobars just raised the bar to another level. One of the best documentaries I've ever seen. Very riveting.Also found it interesting that the death of Len Bias, which was another great 30/30 episode, was actually the catalyst which set off a chain of events which culminated in the deaths of both Escobars.
I thought the Bias documentary was one of the weakest in the series. It should have been a lot better film than it was, the subject was interesting and relatively unfamiliar, and the filmmaker appeared to have good access to Bias' friends and family. But the end result was emotionally flat and unimaginatively presented. The connection to mandatory sentencing laws at the end also seemed kind of forced.

The Two Escobars just raised the bar to another level. One of the best documentaries I've ever seen. Very riveting.

Also found it interesting that the death of Len Bias, which was another great 30/30 episode, was actually the catalyst which set off a chain of events which culminated in the deaths of both Escobars.
I thought the Bias documentary was one of the weakest in the series. It should have been a lot better film than it was, the subject was interesting and relatively unfamiliar, and the filmmaker appeared to have good access to Bias' friends and family. But the end result was emotionally flat and unimaginatively presented. The connection to mandatory sentencing laws at the end also seemed kind of forced.
I felt the opposite about this episode -- I thought the Len Bias story had been done to death, and I didn't learn anything new, or hear any new outlooks or voices, emanating from the 30 for 30 show.

Did you miss the first hour? Early on they covered how Pablo bankrolled a couple teams. How he had a ref killed who jobbed one of his teams in the championship game. Etc.
I know, but the link was not portrayed as being that direct until the very end when they started talking about how the soccer system collapsed when the drug money stopped coming in.It's just a minor quibble. Like I said, it would have been enough for its own documentary. No biggie.

only saw the last hour of Two Escobars, so I'm really hoping to catch it in full. very tragic story. with everything going on, Andres should have packed up and split as soon as his plane back from USA landed.

The Two Escobars just raised the bar to another level. One of the best documentaries I've ever seen. Very riveting.Also found it interesting that the death of Len Bias, which was another great 30/30 episode, was actually the catalyst which set off a chain of events which culminated in the deaths of both Escobars.
:goodposting: Great stuff. I remember laughing with friends over Escobar's own goal vs the USA that day. I actually feel guilty about taking pleasure in a good man's worst nightmare, 16 years later, after watching The Two Escobars. What a tragedy.

Yea, you're right. I just confused the Hank Gathers and Len Bias docs. The Bias doc was pretty weak.

:confused: Great stuff. I remember laughing with friends over Escobar's own goal vs the USA that day. I actually feel guilty about taking pleasure in a good man's worst nightmare, 16 years later, after watching The Two Escobars. What a tragedy.
I feel the same way after watching this. Especially considering what great character AE apparently had.

The Two Escobars was great filmmaking. I found it surprising that there was so much footage on the Pablo side. It was gripping. And I agree with the poster above who said the link was made early on between drug money and the rise of soccer. As a fan, I could not believe the footage of players attacking the referees, with their studs no less. Simply brutal.

Are we really not going to discuss Al Davis in HD? Did you see the Straight Outta LA one? So far, it's been my least favorite of the bunch. I think this probably could have been predicted based on the director being Ice Cube as opposed to some of the other directors and the differing talent levels.

Are we really not going to discuss Al Davis in HD? Did you see the Straight Outta LA one? So far, it's been my least favorite of the bunch. I think this probably could have been predicted based on the director being Ice Cube as opposed to some of the other directors and the differing talent levels.
I'm really not afraid of most things but if I woke up and saw Al Davis in my room, I would crap my pants

finally got a chance to watch Escobars... Agree with others -- this was by far the best one yet. Awesome show. Before watching the show, I wondered if Pablo had put out a hit on Andres as I was not aware of the timeline of their deaths, but interesting how most believed that if Pablo had not been killed, then neither would Andres.

Great show

Fascinating thought I had last night: They don't really touch on this in the documentary, but a number of the goals scored against Colombia in the Romania game, IIRC, were the result of poor goaltending. If you remember in the documentary they showed that the starting goalie was kicked off the team (arrested actually) to help maintain Colombia's image of the soccer team not associating with the drug lords because he visited Pablo (Of course, the whole team is basically covertly taken to the prison to play soccer with Pablo). But what if he was starting for the Romania match? It's not that much of a stretch to say Colombia may have won, or at least drawn. That probably leads to less, if any, death threats, which makes the team more focused for the US match. Maybe the own goal still happens of course, it was an accident. But maybe they score to draw or even win. At this point, they still have a shot to get out of the group. The own goal isn't the death knell, literally, it was for the team and Escobar.

So it seems kind of crazy that the Colombian facade of making their soccer team and federation out to be less "dirty" than they were almost directly leads to them being branded as dirtiest, worst soccer country of all when one of their players is murdered for scoring an own goal.

Amazing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fascinating thought I had last night: They don't really touch on this in the documentary, but a number of the goals scored against Colombia in the Romania game, IIRC, were the result of poor goaltending. If you remember in the documentary they showed that the starting goalie was kicked off the team (arrested actually) to help maintain Colombia's image of the soccer team not associating with the drug lords because he visited Pablo (Of course, the whole team is basically covertly taken to the prison to play soccer with Pablo). But what if he was starting for the Romania match? It's not that much of a stretch to say Colombia may have won, or at least drawn. That probably leads to less, if any, death threats, which makes the team more focused for the US match. Maybe the own goal still happens of course, it was an accident. But maybe they score to draw or even win. At this point, they still have a shot to get out of the group. The own goal isn't the death knell, literally, it was for the team and Escobar. So it seems kind of crazy that the Colombian facade of making their soccer team and federation out to be less "dirty" than they were almost directly leads to them being branded as dirtiest, worst soccer country of all when one of their players is murdered for scoring an own goal. Amazing.
Yea, I thought the same exact thing. Columbia's prez was too worried about his country's image, and it completely backfired. So his dumb decision to falsely arrest the starting GK led to the backup GK's brother getting murdered after they lost to Romania. That loss set in motion the chain of events that led to Andres Escobar getting murdered. Crazy.And I'll reiterate what's even crazier is that the Len Bias overdose death was the catalyst for the U.S.A. pursuing extradition in Columbia. If that doesn't happen, then the all out war in Columbia is significantly delayed or possibly doesn't happen at all.

Fascinating thought I had last night: They don't really touch on this in the documentary, but a number of the goals scored against Colombia in the Romania game, IIRC, were the result of poor goaltending. If you remember in the documentary they showed that the starting goalie was kicked off the team (arrested actually) to help maintain Colombia's image of the soccer team not associating with the drug lords because he visited Pablo (Of course, the whole team is basically covertly taken to the prison to play soccer with Pablo). But what if he was starting for the Romania match? It's not that much of a stretch to say Colombia may have won, or at least drawn. That probably leads to less, if any, death threats, which makes the team more focused for the US match. Maybe the own goal still happens of course, it was an accident. But maybe they score to draw or even win. At this point, they still have a shot to get out of the group. The own goal isn't the death knell, literally, it was for the team and Escobar. So it seems kind of crazy that the Colombian facade of making their soccer team and federation out to be less "dirty" than they were almost directly leads to them being branded as dirtiest, worst soccer country of all when one of their players is murdered for scoring an own goal. Amazing.
He was arrested because he was the go between guy in a kidnapping. He picked up / dropped off money and took a cut.

Fascinating thought I had last night: They don't really touch on this in the documentary, but a number of the goals scored against Colombia in the Romania game, IIRC, were the result of poor goaltending. If you remember in the documentary they showed that the starting goalie was kicked off the team (arrested actually) to help maintain Colombia's image of the soccer team not associating with the drug lords because he visited Pablo (Of course, the whole team is basically covertly taken to the prison to play soccer with Pablo). But what if he was starting for the Romania match? It's not that much of a stretch to say Colombia may have won, or at least drawn. That probably leads to less, if any, death threats, which makes the team more focused for the US match. Maybe the own goal still happens of course, it was an accident. But maybe they score to draw or even win. At this point, they still have a shot to get out of the group. The own goal isn't the death knell, literally, it was for the team and Escobar.

So it seems kind of crazy that the Colombian facade of making their soccer team and federation out to be less "dirty" than they were almost directly leads to them being branded as dirtiest, worst soccer country of all when one of their players is murdered for scoring an own goal.

Amazing.
He was arrested because he was the go between guy in a kidnapping. He picked up / dropped off money and took a cut.
If Higuita had been in goal, you might have had a replay of THIS from the 1990 World Cup.

Amazing.
If Higuita had been in goal, you might have had a replay of THIS from the 1990 World Cup.
I'm guessing he wouldn't make the same mistake twice.

Never heard that. Do you have a link to anything on it? Thanks.

Amazing.
I'm guessing he wouldn't make the same mistake twice.
we're talking about Rene Higuita. One of the all-time free-spirits/flakes in soccer history

Amazing.
Yea on his wikipedia page among a host of other links
The prosecutor-general's office said Higuita, who plays full time for the Medellin team Atletico Nacional, was accused of acting as an intermediary in the freeing of an abducted young woman.
http://www.nytimes.com/1993/06/05/sports/s...=1?pagewanted=1
Higuita was imprisoned in 1993 after getting involved in a kidnapping. Acting as a go-between for the drug barons Pablo Escobar and Carlos Molina, he was largely responsible for securing the release of Molina's daughter by delivering the ransom money. He received $64,000 for his services, which breaks Colombian law as it is an offence to profit from a kidnapping. He was incarcerated for seven months before being released without charge. In another scandal, he tested positive for cocaine on 23 November 2004 while playing for an Ecuadorian football club.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ren%C3%A9_Higuita

The documentary alluded to it but it was a watered-down description of the events (something like "Higuita was arrested for negotiating with kidnappers, but everyone knew that the real reason was because he visited Pablo in jail...")

:thumbup: :confused:

It was one of the ones I was most looking forward to, but it was pretty much a waste of my time.

The documentary alluded to it but it was a watered-down description of the events (something like "Higuita was arrested for negotiating with kidnappers, but everyone knew that the real reason was because he visited Pablo in jail...")
Right. Thanks for the links above. So I guess the question is whether they acted on this in due time and it just happened to be right after he was publicly seen visiting Pablo, or whether that was the reason that they pulled the trump card they had of him at that moment. Even so, and yes, he misplayed the ball against Cameroon in 90, but he would have been a better GK against Romania. Fascinating circumstances. What a screwed up country.

Little Big Men - 1982 Little League World Series. I was 11 and at that game sitting behind home plate with my grandfather.

Watching it now and after COdy hits the homerun they show his dad in the stands. My dad pokes his head over his shoulder. He just calls me "DID YOU SEE ME ON ESPN?!?!" :confused:

Later Taiwan "quit" Little league because it was found out they were pulling from a larger area than allowed, basically "recruiting" and they felt they were not doing anything wrong.

This defines my childhood pretty much. Lived in a small town, did nothing but play baseball, baseball town, everyone knew everyone. Very similar to these guys. Well minus the World Series. Went to baseball camp up there and went to the series with my dad and grandpop for probably 15 years.

Some good times. Kind of lost it though with my son not interested in baseball as much as I tried, but he now loves baseball, go figure

Brings back some memories ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Little Big Men - 1982 Little League World Series. I was 11 and at that game sitting behind home plate with my grandfather.Watching it now and after COdy hits the homerun they show his dad in the stands. My dad pokes his head over his shoulder. He just calls me "DID YOU SEE ME ON ESPN?!?!" :confused: This defines my childhood pretty much. Lived in a small town, did nothing but play baseball, baseball town, everyone knew everyone. Very similar to these guys. Well minus the World Series.Later Taiwan "quit" Little league because it was found out they were pulling from a larger area than allowed, basically "recruiting" and they felt they were not doing anything wrong.Went to baseball camp up there and went to the series with my dad and grandpop for probably 15 years. Some good times. Kind of lost it though with my son not interested in baseball as much as I tried, but he now loves baseball, go figure Brings back some memories ;)
So far a fairly good show.

Brutal what Cody had to go through after his WS win. People calling him a fat *******, and other bad names when he was only 12/13. Brutal.

Was really looking forward to this Tupac/Tyson episode.

It's absolutely brutal. Can believe they let this hit the air.

Was really looking forward to this Tupac/Tyson episode.It's absolutely brutal. Can believe they let this hit the air.
:kicksrock: The Tyson side sucks, and is mostly reused footage, but the Tupac side is interesting. This is head and shoulders better than the Jordan one. Not as good as Escobar or the U but few docs are.

Was really looking forward to this Tupac/Tyson episode.It's absolutely brutal. Can believe they let this hit the air.
:kicksrock: The Tyson side sucks, and is mostly reused footage, but the Tupac side is interesting. This is head and shoulders better than the Jordan one. Not as good as Escobar or the U but few docs are.
The whole comic book thing, the dorks rapping at the beginning, the recycled footage that everybody has seen dozens of times and really they told absolutely nothing new. It sucks.

:shock: The Tyson side sucks, and is mostly reused footage, but the Tupac side is interesting. This is head and shoulders better than the Jordan one. Not as good as Escobar or the U but few docs are.
The whole comic book thing, the dorks rapping at the beginning, the recycled footage that everybody has seen dozens of times and really they told absolutely nothing new. It sucks.
I'd never seen the footage of tupacs family talking about his last hours. Same for the suge knight interview. I'm leaning in your direction more, however, this had potential but kinda fell flat.

Really wanted to like this one because I thought the concept was an interesting one but definitely fell flat. Comic book backdrop was ridiculous and the majority of the Tupac footage has been shown a lot. The clips of and story about his song for Tyson's fight and seeing them embrace after Tyson won the fight was interesting to see though.

Just watched Little Big Men. I thought it was the best show of the 30 for 30 Series - by far. Haven't seen the Two Escobars yet but really want to after reading other comments about it in this post. The Tyson/Tupac show was absolutely brutal. Looking forward to the Steinbrenner episode that is coming up next.

The film about the Little League kids was great. Just one bit of criticism, though: what about all the other kids? They only interviewed 5-6 of the 15 kids on the team.

At any point during the filming of 'Unmatched'... do you think Chris and Martina made out?

At any point during the filming of 'Unmatched'... do you think Chris and Martina made out?
The 30 for 30 series was good in the beginning, "but what if I told you that the 2nd half of these you wouldn't want to watch even if it were the only thing on TV?"Miami special was great, several others were worth watching but these last few have been really horrid. Too much good stuff with the NFL season, MLB playoffs looming, too much good stuff to spend time watching this. I'm sure Martina wanted Chris, no doubt.

The 30 for 30 series was good in the beginning, "but what if I told you that the 2nd half of these you wouldn't want to watch even if it were the only thing on TV?"Miami special was great, several others were worth watching but these last few have been really horrid. Too much good stuff with the NFL season, MLB playoffs looming, too much good stuff to spend time watching this. I'm sure Martina wanted Chris, no doubt.
I actually thought the Chris and Martina one was great.Chris was very candid in how she felt in 83 and 84 when she just couldn't beat Martina. I remember the 86 French Final like it was yesterday. It seemed like the greatest upset in sports when Chris won that match.For my money, these two are 1 and 1a in that sport and without them, nobody would watch women's tennis.

I'm sure Martina wanted Chris, no doubt.
She definitely did. A few times she looked at her and I was like... oh its gonna be on. I just wonder if Martina ever even broached the subject, asked her, or just made a move. She had to. At least I know that if anyone asks me about this show I will tell them they made out. It really happened... in my head.

Wouldn't blame her. Chris looks hotter in her 50's then she did in her 20's.

It was definitely a chick flick kind of documentary but I loved tennis in the 70's and 80's so I enjoyed it

Wouldn't blame her. Chris looks hotter in her 50's then she did in her 20's. It was definitely a chick flick kind of documentary but I loved tennis in the 70's and 80's so I enjoyed it
I guess...female director/producer, forget who it was (really well known and I'm blanking here).But chick flick and possible lesbo angle aside, really well done show. Two great athletes who made each other better. The length of the competitive rivalry and number of times they met is astounding - they played 60 more matches against each other than Nadal-Federer.Had a big crush on Chrissie when she was 17 and dating Jimbo. Martina took the top spot away from her, so it took me longer to appreciate her. But over time I came to respect her more and more. Now she is up there with the tennis royalty, held in the same esteem as Billie Jean King and Margaret Court and Evonne Goolagong. Chris was always there - she never had to fight for that recognition. I don't know, maybe it was just harder to accept Marina back in the day. There is no question about it now, her records are overwhelming, and it seems silly she was ever under appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread