What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

ESPN league commissioners - settings question (1 Viewer)

Horses Mouth

Footballguy
I want to make sure I have the settings correct in my 12 team league, 2 division league

6 go to the playoffs.

2 division winners get a first round bye

final 4 spots are regular season head to head records and then overall points as tie-breaker to secure those spots.

this is how we've always been so our league is on the same page. i'm just confused by the settings on the site.

this is what is says, so I'd appreciate if you could look at your settings if your league is similar to ensure mine is set up right. I'm not sure whether "head to head record" or "total points for" should have been selected. Thanks.

Playoff Seeding Tie Breaker
Select a tie breaker to use in the case that two or more teams have the same overall record at the end of the regular season. Note that wherever 'Total Points Against' is indicated as a tiebreaker, the team with more points against is considered superior.

If Head-to-Head Record is selected, Total Points For, Intra Division Record (if your league has multiple divisions), and Total Points Against will be used as further tie breakers (in that order).

If Total Points For is selected, H2H Record, Intra Division Record (if your league has multiple divisions), and Total Points Against will be used as further tie breakers (in that order).

If Intra Division Record is selected, H2H Record, Total Points For, and Total Points Against will be used as further tie breakers (in that order).

If Total Points Against is selected, H2H Record, Total Points For, and Intra Division Record (if your league has multiple divisions) will be used as further tie breakers (in that order).

In all cases, a coin flip will resolve any teams that are tied after all other tiebreakers are used. Note that the League Manager can override any automatically generated playoff matchups, if desired, using LM Tools.

Last edited by a moderator:
You're looking in the wrong section. That's the description of the options for tie-breakers. To see which option is set, go to "League Settings." Then, go to "Schedule." There should be a section titled, "Playoff Bracket Setup." Under there, there's a section titled, "Playoff Seeding Tie Breaker." That's where you're going to find what it's currently set for.

You're looking in the wrong section. That's the description of the options for tie-breakers. To see which option is set, go to "League Settings." Then, go to "Schedule." There should be a section titled, "Playoff Bracket Setup." Under there, there's a section titled, "Playoff Seeding Tie Breaker." That's where you're going to find what it's currently set for.
understood, but if you go to that page and hit the edit button it takes you to the "playoff seeding tie breaker" right now it says "total points for" but for some reason it was "head to head" before and I don't know why which got me confused.

It sounds like to me you are in the right spot. Just checked mine and that is where you make the change. Just change it to Head to Head and then you should be good to go. Total Pts For will be used as a secondary tie breaker rule if Head to Head records are the same. League Settings -> Schedule -> Edit

ETA: Also, you can always update the teams ho make the playoffs manually if things get messed up with how ESPN does your playoff bracket.

Ah. Gotcha. Perhaps I misunderstood. w3junky is correct. With your settings, Head to Head should be selected.

It's important to understand (and you probably do) that it can be a bit confusing as the head to head record is referencing the head to head record between the TIED teams and not their overall record. I know that in the way that we have it set up, in the case that a team's overall record is tied, Points For is the next tiebreaker.

Users who are viewing this thread