What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Fair Catch Rule (1 Viewer)

FreeBaGeL

Footballguy
Alright, we saw Troy Brown fumble a punt tonight against the Broncos that was crucial. He called a fair catch, bobbled the ball, reached out with two hands, and then was grabbed by a Denver player and couldn't hang onto the ball.Anyone remember back to the San Diego MNF game a little while back where Darren Sproles called a fair catch, the ball bounced away from him, and then he was hit by a defender? If you recall, fair catch interference was called on the play (despite the fact that Sproles had very little chance of actually getting to the ball) because the rule states that even if the person calling fair catch bobbles the ball, tips it, etc they have a right to go for the ball unimpeded until it hits the ground.Troy Brown was clearly touched by the Denver player before the ball hit the ground after calling a fair catch. Why was this oft-ignored rule not called, nor even mentioned in this case?I find it hard to believe that a playoff officiating crew would simply not know or think about a rule, but that certainly seems to be the case here, or is this just something like leaping that refs call whenever they feel like it?Before anyone questions my motives, please note that I am a Dolphin fan who hates Brady and the Pats with every fiber of my being, so homerism or the like has nothing to do with it.

Anyone remember back to the San Diego MNF game a little while back where Darren Sproles called a fair catch, the ball bounced away from him, and then he was hit by a defender? If you recall, fair catch interference was called on the play (despite the fact that Sproles had very little chance of actually getting to the ball) ...
This is your interpretation of the play. The referees ruled that he did have a chance to get the ball. I don't think he did, but that was the ruling.

I think the difference was that on the Sproles play the ball was within reach when he got hit, but with Brown, the ball had bounced hopelessly out of reach, and he was no longer entitled to the ball.

I think the difference was that on the Sproles play the ball was within reach when he got hit, but with Brown, the ball had bounced hopelessly out of reach, and he was no longer entitled to the ball.
Considering he got his hands on the ball after the initial bounce, I wouldn't say it was hopelessly out of reach. The Sproles play was much more "out of reach" than this one.

This is just a case of a stupid rule that they didn't want to enforce. What's to keep the returner from tipping the ball all the way into the endzone, without fear of being hit (without penalty)?Not that it would happen, but...

This is just a case of a stupid rule that they didn't want to enforce. What's to keep the returner from tipping the ball all the way into the endzone, without fear of being hit (without penalty)?

Not that it would happen, but...
I have the same thoughts about the way the 'tuck rule' was justified. Brady had both hands on the ball at the moment it was knocked loose. So, by the way THAT rule was interpreted, all you have to do is pump-fake and you could never be sacked. I don't understand how the refs can be allowed to make such a reach w/ rules sometimes.

This is just a case of a stupid rule that they didn't want to enforce. What's to keep the returner from tipping the ball all the way into the endzone, without fear of being hit (without penalty)?

Not that it would happen, but...
This is genious!!! :goodposting:

What's to keep the returner from tipping the ball all the way into the endzone, without fear of being hit (without penalty)?
The fact that it's against the rules.
How so?
Fair Catch

1. The member of the receiving team must raise one arm a full length above his head and wave it from side to side while kick is in flight. (Failure to give proper sign: receivers’ ball five yards behind spot of signal.) Note: It is legal for the receiver to shield his eyes from the sun by raising one hand no higher than the helmet.

2. No opponent may interfere with the fair catcher, the ball, or his path to the ball. Penalty: 15 yards from spot of foul and fair catch is awarded.

3. A player who signals for a fair catch is not required to catch the ball. However, if a player signals for a fair catch, he may not block or initiate contact with any player on the kicking team until the ball touches a player. Penalty: snap 15 yards.

4. If ball hits ground or is touched by member of kicking team in flight, fair catch signal is off and all rules for a kicked ball apply.

5. Any undue advance by a fair catch receiver is delay of game. No specific distance is specified for undue advance as ball is dead at spot of catch. If player comes to a reasonable stop, no penalty. For penalty, five yards.

6. If time expires while ball is in play and a fair catch is awarded, receiving team may choose to extend the period with one fair catch kick down. However, placekicker may not use tee.

"After a valid fair catch signal, the opportunity to make a catch does not end when a kick is muffed. The player who signaled fair catch must have a reasonable opportunity to catch the ball before it hits the ground without being interefered with by the members of the kicking team."Rule 10, Section 1, Article 4, Supplemental Note (2)."An intentional muff forward prior to a catch in order to gain ground is an illegal bat."Rule 10, Section 1, Article 4, Supplemental Note (3).

I think the difference is that on MNF the ball was still airborne when Sproles was hit. Troy Brown dropped the ball on the ground. Once the ball hits the ground you've had your chance to catch it.

I think the difference is that on MNF the ball was still airborne when Sproles was hit. Troy Brown dropped the ball on the ground. Once the ball hits the ground you've had your chance to catch it.
He was hit well before the ball hit the ground, he was actually touching it in the air.

Users who are viewing this thread