What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Falcons trying to trade VICK (1 Viewer)

Ron_Mexico

I Love Doggies
Falcons trying to trade Vick

GM confirms decision on QB, who is expected to be released from prison in July

By D. ORLANDO LEDBETTER

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Friday, February 13, 2009

The Falcons are seeking to trade the rights to imprisoned and suspended quarterback Michael Vick.

Falcons general manager Thomas Dimitroff said the team is preparing to trade Vick’s contractual rights in an interview that appeared on the team’s website Friday.

“With regards to Michael Vick, we’ve decided to seek a trade of his contractual rights to another NFL club,” Dimitroff told the website. “We took a number of steps in the 2008 season, including using our first pick to draft a quarterback. We feel a trade is the best move for the Falcons, and it’s also in the best interest of Michael. This has been a really unique situation from a variety of standpoints and because we will actively be involved in a trade situation, I don’t envision our organization speaking any more about this subject publicly until it’s reached a resolution.”

Vick is currently serving a sentence on felony charges related to dogfighting and is scheduled to be released in July.

Vick has a lucrative contract that runs to 2013 and calls for him to receive a base salary of $9 million and a bonus of $6.43 million in 2009. The remainder of the contract is worth $45.11 million, with another possible $3 million in Pro Bowl bonuses.

“We have not been advised by anyone from the League Office of any type of timeline regarding Michael Vick being reinstated,” Dimitroff told the website. “So, we don’t know when that might occur. That decision is up to the Commissioner.”

Calls to Vick’s agent, Joel Segal, by the AJC were not immediately return. Segal has previously indicated that Vick wants to return to the NFL to play quarterback and will not consider a move to wide receiver or running back.

Well he should be a Cleveland Brown as i'm sure the dawg pound would love him, but i can certainly see him in a Raider uniform. Another Al Davis moment!

Falcons trying to trade Vick Segal has previously indicated that Vick wants to return to the NFL to play quarterback and will not consider a move to wide receiver or running back.
:no:I hope there is such a lack of interest in him as a QB he changes his mind.

When Dan Reeves was talking to the 49ers about their O-Coordinator job speculation was Vick would be going there. With Reeves out of the picture who knows where he'll end up. Oakland seems fitting as does Cincy.

I think a lot of teams might take a chance on Vick, but that contract is going to be impossible to trade.
Right, but if he's reinstated, he gets paid unless they cut him, right? And cutting him saves cash but kills their cap for a while. So even though it's a tough sell, trying to trade him is the right thing to do.

I'd be curious to see what the league has to say about him coming back. - Wouldn't be too surprised to see them can him for '09. Basically, you CAN'T mess up when you're in prison, we want to see what you'll do for a year when you're free.

- Just speculation obviously.

I think a lot of teams might take a chance on Vick, but that contract is going to be impossible to trade.
Right, but if he's reinstated, he gets paid unless they cut him, right? And cutting him saves cash but kills their cap for a while. So even though it's a tough sell, trying to trade him is the right thing to do.
What team in their right mind would want to pay Vick over $15 million for this year?

I'd be curious to see what the league has to say about him coming back. - Wouldn't be too surprised to see them can him for '09. Basically, you CAN'T mess up when you're in prison, we want to see what you'll do for a year when you're free. - Just speculation obviously.
I don't see how they could keep him out.He's paid his debt.Let him back in.

I'd be curious to see what the league has to say about him coming back. - Wouldn't be too surprised to see them can him for '09. Basically, you CAN'T mess up when you're in prison, we want to see what you'll do for a year when you're free. - Just speculation obviously.
I don't think so. He's served his time, and if he messes up again he's probably out of the league.

Chicago or Carolina should think about adding him when Atlanta releases him.
Not Carolina. The fans would revolt.Vick will probably be willing to renegotiate his contract for a chance to play. After all, the only option is Atlanta cuts him for conduct detrimental to the team and he is branded uncooperative to potential employers. He needs to play the good-guy game from here out.And yes, he should be allowed to play again. He has served his time. And he should never be allowed to have another pet.

I understand the fact that this is news because the Falcons made a statement about it, but this is a long way from anything happening.

First, will anyone trade for him, not knowing when he's reinstated? The NFL, I believe, will not make a ruling on that till he's released, which puts us at the end of July.

Second, if the Falcons are trading him, doesn't that mean someone will have to trade for his contract? Not gonna happen.

Vick gets released in late July, reinstated in August (at best), and released soon after by ATL.

I don't see how they could keep him out.He's paid his debt.Let him back in.
I don't like Vick but I agree with you.

Would it not be best for the Falcons to seek him to be suspended for another year. Would this not help them out cap wise with him not counting for another year making next year easier to trade or release him. Especially if open cap comes.

This is kind of a long shot, but I think he could really help a team like the Vikings. His ability to run would suck an extra defender away from Peterson and Vick always had a nice deep ball, which is Berrian's specialty.

I don't see how they could keep him out.He's paid his debt.
Irrelevant. The NFL can suspend/ban him independent of what the criminal system did with him.

I don't think he'll ever play in the NFL again. Guys come back from drug use and gambling and worse, but I don't think there's any coming back from this as far as public opinion. Which team wants him on the field? Who wants to cheer for him earning more millions of dollars? Success in football wouldn't redeem anything he's done anyway.

Can a contract be renegotiated as part of a trade? Or, could we renegotiate with Vick, and have him voluntarily take a lower number, both helping our cap, and giving him time to find an interested team at a more reasonable price?

I don't see it being beyond Vick to come in and make a helpful gesture to Blank as a way to make up for past sins. He and his HAVE to know that NO ONE is paying that much for him.

Can a contract be renegotiated as part of a trade? Or, could we renegotiate with Vick, and have him voluntarily take a lower number, both helping our cap, and giving him time to find an interested team at a more reasonable price?I don't see it being beyond Vick to come in and make a helpful gesture to Blank as a way to make up for past sins. He and his HAVE to know that NO ONE is paying that much for him.
Doubtful given the current state (or lack thereof) of the CBA. IIRC, salary cap charges will have to be taken this year and cannot be spread out over future years (as there are no future years left to take salary cap charges in) if he no longer is on the team.The Falcons are going to have to eat a percentage of his signing bonus salary cap wise if they trade or release him. Even if he were to renegotiate, that signing bonus salary cap charge won't go away.I believe, but am not certain, that the Falcons kept Vick this long to reduce the salary cap hit over time and his salary cap numbers counted each year while he was away. If my math is right, he received a $20 million signing bonus and had to return $3.75 million of it. The contract was for 10 years and it techically is 4 years old. In theory, if the Falcons prorated the cap hit to 1/10 per season, they would still have roughly $10 million left as a cap hit if they got rid of him (not counting the roster bonus he's due).The Falcons may well just be willing to eat the salary cap hit, but other teams will balk at having to give him a $7.5 million roster bonus and $9 million in salary. Vick can tear up the unpaid amount he is still due on his contract, but I am not sure what that amount is right now.

Can a contract be renegotiated as part of a trade? Or, could we renegotiate with Vick, and have him voluntarily take a lower number, both helping our cap, and giving him time to find an interested team at a more reasonable price?I don't see it being beyond Vick to come in and make a helpful gesture to Blank as a way to make up for past sins. He and his HAVE to know that NO ONE is paying that much for him.
Doubtful given the current state (or lack thereof) of the CBA. IIRC, salary cap charges will have to be taken this year and cannot be spread out over future years (as there are no future years left to take salary cap charges in) if he no longer is on the team.The Falcons are going to have to eat a percentage of his signing bonus salary cap wise if they trade or release him. Even if he were to renegotiate, that signing bonus salary cap charge won't go away.I believe, but am not certain, that the Falcons kept Vick this long to reduce the salary cap hit over time and his salary cap numbers counted each year while he was away. If my math is right, he received a $20 million signing bonus and had to return $3.75 million of it. The contract was for 10 years and it techically is 4 years old. In theory, if the Falcons prorated the cap hit to 1/10 per season, they would still have roughly $10 million left as a cap hit if they got rid of him (not counting the roster bonus he's due).The Falcons may well just be willing to eat the salary cap hit, but other teams will balk at having to give him a $7.5 million roster bonus and $9 million in salary. Vick can tear up the unpaid amount he is still due on his contract, but I am not sure what that amount is right now.
I'm pretty sure his number did not hit our cap due to the suspension, but you're right about why they kept him. Had they cut him, they would've had to eat the entire cap number immediately, I think. Cap discussions make my head hurt, tho.

I'm pretty sure his number did not hit our cap due to the suspension, but you're right about why they kept him. Had they cut him, they would've had to eat the entire cap number immediately, I think. Cap discussions make my head hurt, tho.
If he didn't count against the cap at all the past two years then they will only have more of a cap hit when they do get him off the roster. There was not a lot reported on what the team actually did in their accounting, so that remains a bit of a mystery.

I understand the fact that this is news because the Falcons made a statement about it, but this is a long way from anything happening.

First, will anyone trade for him, not knowing when he's reinstated? The NFL, I believe, will not make a ruling on that till he's released, which puts us at the end of July.

Second, if the Falcons are trading him, doesn't that mean someone will have to trade for his contract? Not gonna happen.

Vick gets released in late July, reinstated in August (at best), and released soon after by ATL.
No, he will be released to a half way house soon, and that will accelerate the whole process. I've also heard Shefter speculate the NFL will not suspend him beyond his sentence. So, he definitely could be in a team's training camp this summer.

John Clayton is saying he would have to be released because no one would want to take on the contract. Repeated it for emphasis. No mention of possible renegotiation fwiw.

Falcons trying to trade Vick

Segal has previously indicated that Vick wants to return to the NFL to play quarterback and will not consider a move to wide receiver or running back.
What does "previously indicated" mean? When Vick still had a shred of leverage before he went to prison? Vick making any kind of demands to NFL teams at all is comedy gold. The man should name his son after whoever is willing to hire his sorry ### and be grateful to make the league minimum. He's a complete moron :lmao:

Last edited by a moderator:
John Clayton is saying he would have to be released because no one would want to take on the contract. Repeated it for emphasis. No mention of possible renegotiation fwiw.
If they dont actually have to pay the money... and just have to use up space for a single year... there are a couple teams with over 30 million in space.Now will one of those teams be interested in getting Vick (assuming you get him with a new deal) before he is a free agent for an intermediate draft choice?
I can't imagine there would be, only because I doubt Vick is considered to be that much of an asset to a team, and which team would be willing to take the PR hit?Really, imagine you are a fan of a team with 30 mill in cap space, and your teams big move is to tie up space with this guy and all his baggage?Teams can easily spin a free agent pickup with a low base salary. Fans can rationalize it, "Hey, didn't cost anything, why not?" And there will still be people against it no matter what. Almost everyone can agree that mistreating dogs is kinda bad.

I don't think he'll ever play in the NFL again. Guys come back from drug use and gambling and worse, but I don't think there's any coming back from this as far as public opinion. Which team wants him on the field? Who wants to cheer for him earning more millions of dollars? Success in football wouldn't redeem anything he's done anyway.
I disagree. Kobe came back from what people who eat animals might consider a worse offense.

I can't imagine there would be, only because I doubt Vick is considered to be that much of an asset to a team, and which team would be willing to take the PR hit?
Clayton was really careful about mentioning teams, saying any mention gets PETA all excited.ETA- He did mention SF Ghost says in post below, but as his speculation vs. knowledge of interest. See PETA comment!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, John Clayton mentioned on ESPN of him possibly landing in San Francisco. Might as well go ahead and take him as the Yorks have mucked the franchise up anyhow. I guess Singletary would have him on a short leash :lmao: seeing as how Singletary's bite is worse than his bark.He showed the bite marks to Vernon Davis on the sidelines where he bit himself.

sure they could. "hey, you give us the rights to vick, we'll give you a 7th round pick if he's reinstated, or a 5th round pick if he plays 100 snaps for us this year"now, that contract....that's another story altogether.

PETA: "We think you should be banned from the NFL for life!"

Vick: "But I'm reformed. Now I'm educated and sensitive and a good guy. I paid my debt, and I deserve another chance. By the way, what does PETA stand for anyway... People Eating Tasty Animals?"

I disagree. Kobe came back from what people who eat animals might consider a worse offense.
Vick was proved guilty and served time. Kobe wasn't even tried.Now, I may be wrong. It only takes one owner willing to offer Vick a contract. But I think his actions were bad enough that no one will want the heat they'd get from signing him.

Users who are viewing this thread