What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Family Europe Trip Recommendations (1 Viewer)

Judge Smails

Footballguy
Thinking of a trip in late June or July after my youngest daughter graduates from college. She will be backpacking in Europe, and we are thinking of taking a trip over where her and her friend can meet up with us. The meet up spot is likely Barcelona as that's where everyone wants to go. Me, my wife, daughter and son would go over. All kids early twenties. Trying to think of a trip that makes sense. Can take 10-14 days.

We've been to Paris, Florence, Venice and Rome so those are out.

What about London (4 days), Amsterdam, (2-3 days) and Barcelona (7 days)? Heathrow is easiest for me to fly into using frequent flyer miles.

Could also do more of a Barcelona, Madrid, Portugal, South of France type trip.

I'm thinking 3 anchor cities max. Could do day trips or an overnight out of Barcelona (Madrid?).

Appreciate your help. I probably need to start booking pretty soon. Once I get the cities nailed down and flights booked I'll dive into the details of where to stay, places to go/eat, etc.

Need to pull the trigger.  Waited forever for United Saver miles to open up.  Am able to get LAX-London Heathrow, then London to Amsterdam, then Barcelona home for 60K miles each, 300K total for 5.  Not bad.  I just have to buy the $135 flight from Amsterdam to Barcelona. 

Right now I'm planning 5 nights in London, 2 nights in Amsterdam, 7 in Barcelona.  Reservation is on hold until tomorrow.  Kids questioned adding a day in Amsterdam.  If so, I'm more likely to pull a day from Barcelona vs. London.  Thoughts?  Here is itin..Connection back home sorta sucks with long layover, but saved a ton of miles.  We are planning on just flying to Amsterdam on 7/14 or 7/15 - that's the decision. And I know economy class is not the way any self respecting FBG rolls but it is what it is.. 

Am I missing anything? This itin work/reasonable?

Flight Details

Wed., Jul. 6, 2016 | Los Angeles, CA, US (LAX) to London, GB (LHR - Heathrow)

Depart:
5:45 p.m.
Wed., Jul. 6, 2016
Los Angeles, CA, US (LAX)

Arrive:
12:20 p.m. +1 Day
Thu., Jul. 7, 2016
London, GB (LHR - Heathrow)

Travel Time:10 hr 35 mn

Flight: UA923

Aircraft: Boeing 777-200
Fare Class: United Economy (XN)
Meal: Dinner

Tue., Jul. 12, 2016 | London, GB (LHR - Heathrow) to Amsterdam, NL (AMS)

Depart:
8:30 a.m.
Tue., Jul. 12, 2016
London, GB (LHR - Heathrow)

Arrive:
11:05 a.m.
Tue., Jul. 12, 2016
Frankfurt, DE (FRA)

Flight Time:
1 hr 35 mn

Flight: LH925
Operated By Lufthansa
Aircraft: Airbus A320-200
Fare Class: Economy (Y)
Meal: None

Change Planes. Connect time in Frankfurt, DE (FRA) is 1 hr 25 mn.

Depart:
12:30 p.m.
Tue., Jul. 12, 2016
Frankfurt, DE (FRA)

Arrive:
1:40 p.m.
Tue., Jul. 12, 2016
Amsterdam, NL (AMS)

Flight Time:
1 hr 10 mn
Travel Time:4 hr 10 mn

Flight: LH992
Operated By Lufthansa
Aircraft: Airbus A321
Fare Class: Economy (Y)

Thu., Jul. 21, 2016 | Barcelona, ES (BCN) to Los Angeles, CA, US (LAX)

Depart:
11:15 a.m.
Thu., Jul. 21, 2016
Barcelona, ES (BCN)

Arrive:
2:30 p.m.
Thu., Jul. 21, 2016
Washington, DC, US (IAD - Dulles)

Flight Time:
9 hr 15 mn

Flight: UA141

Aircraft: Boeing 767-400ER
No Special Meal Offered.

Change Planes. Connect time in Washington, DC, US (IAD - Dulles) is 5 hours 45 minutes.

Depart:
8:15 p.m.
Thu., Jul. 21, 2016
Washington, DC, US (IAD - Dulles)

Arrive:
11:00 p.m.
Thu., Jul. 21, 2016
Los Angeles, CA, US (LAX)

Flight Time:
5 hr 45 mn
Travel Time:20 hr 45 mn

Flight: UA208

Aircraft: Boeing 737-900
Meal: Snacks for Purchase
No Special Meal Offered.

Judge, I can't add much. I've only been to London, Paris, Rome once. You are one of the people on this board who I look to for travel advice, so be sure to take good notes and I'd love to hear how the trip goes.

I spent 5 days in London in December. First trip there so we did a lot of the big tourist items. I had a thing typed up for some people that I'll PM you. Great town obviously with a million things to do, you'll fill 5 days easily there. 

Look into flights on the smaller operators like Ryanair for super cheap flights into second and third tier destinations once you arrive in Europe. 

IMO, you definitely do not need 7 nights for Barcelona.  We spent 2.5 weeks in Spain a few summers ago and all 4 of us wished we'd taken a day or 2 from Barcelona and spent it elsewhere. 

Not that Barcelona is not worth spending some time but there were other cities we enjoyed more (Seville, Madrid). So I'd take a day or two from Barcelona and add it to Amsterdam and/or London.  2 days in any large European city is never enough and 7 is probably too many, unless money and time are no object  (except maybe for Paris).

Jealous.  Enjoy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like a nice trip.  Cosign with Dreaded Marco on the length of stay of Barcelona. I'd take a side trip from Barca to San Sebastian and/or Bilbao since you have so much time there.

Thanks gents. Great advice and appreciate any PM's!!! Booked today. Added 1 day to Amsterdam and subtracted one from Barcelona. My daughters are going 3 days early to Dublin and then meeting us in London. I want to come back as them in my next life. 

Users who are viewing this thread