What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Farvre calls Romo and tells him to try and play (1 Viewer)

BTW... I don't understand what some of you are talking about... Romo is doing even better this year than he was last year. Through 6 weeks he already has 4 - 300 yd games, and 4 - 3 touchdown games.
And he's lost to Washington, barely beat Cincy, and lost to Arizona.He needs his swagger back. Heck, my wife even said he looks off now, particularly pointed it out when the Cowboys tied up the game Sunday and he's moping on the bench in lieu of getting his guys fired up.
Roy Williams will cure it all. I have said from day one that he had to force too many throws. There was a HUGE dropoff between TO and their second receiver. Crayton is just not a #2 guy... so... with TO being double teamed... Witten can only be used in the passing game so much... and Crayton normally unable to get seperation from a good cornerback... Romo had to really force a lot of throws. Now... with TO on one side drawing coverage... Williams on the other... they will both be opened up, and then who the hell will even cover Witten? Now.. Crayton can be used as a good #3 receiver for short routes.... it's on.Also... it isn't as if Romo lost all of those game for them. Their defense really let them down outside of the Arizona game, and he almost won that game for them, until he broke his finger and couldn't grip the ball in OT.
You guys kill me with your apologies for that offense. Kansas City had some record setting offensive seasons 4-5 years ago with only Eddie Freaking Kennison to take attention from Gonzo and the running game. They were running the same general offensive system (an offshoot of the Coryell-Zampese system). You make it sound like you've got the Seattle offense right now with "only" TO and Witten to work with, and now Roy changes everything. Are Garrett and Romo that weetahded that they can't make it work without Roy Williams? :football:
You act like the Cowboys aren't scoring points.

I think Favre likes the kid and wants to pick up his spirits and he is giving the best advice he knows. He is saying what worked for him. Unfortunately Favre isn't the sharpest knife and he doesn't realize that what worked for him may not work for others.
Did you hear the conversation between the two? How do you know Favre didn't say it worked for his thumb, and maybe it will work for Romo's pinkie? I'm sure he is bright enough to know it might not work for Romo's condition, but it might be worth a try.
You are quite sensitive, aren't you? You are looking too hard for insult against Favre where none is really intended.

I think Favre likes the kid and wants to pick up his spirits and he is giving the best advice he knows. He is saying what worked for him. Unfortunately Favre isn't the sharpest knife and he doesn't realize that what worked for him may not work for others.
Did you hear the conversation between the two? How do you know Favre didn't say it worked for his thumb, and maybe it will work for Romo's pinkie? I'm sure he is bright enough to know it might not work for Romo's condition, but it might be worth a try.
You are quite sensitive, aren't you? You are looking too hard for insult against Favre where none is really intended.
Because I don't agree with you I'm sensitive?

"Tony? This is Brett. Yeah, that Brett. Listen I was hearing that I used to play with 2 bloody stumps for hands and I kinda remember doing that back there in my legacy. So maybe you should like do the same thing, and play hurt and stuff like my legacy did. And don't forget to mention that I told you that, because it's good for my legacy and stuff. "

"Tony? This is Brett. Yeah, that Brett. Listen I was hearing that I used to play with 2 bloody stumps for hands and I kinda remember doing that back there in my legacy. So maybe you should like do the same thing, and play hurt and stuff like my legacy did. And don't forget to mention that I told you that, because it's good for my legacy and stuff. "
Favre's schtick is getting old.

What's with the Favre hate... what, if it was (insert name of QB you love here) people would be all like "that's so awesome of him" :confused:

What's with the Favre hate... what, if it was (insert name of QB you love here) people would be all like "that's so awesome of him" :rolleyes:
Favre: Javon, just get back here and play for the league minimum even though you established you're an elite receiver.Javon: OK, Brett! ::shreds ACL week 1:: :rant: :rant: :rant:

How is this "Favre schtick"?He made a phone call to another QB encouraging him. And its schtick?
Perhaps I'm just jaded now, but it sure seems like another way to just stick it to Green Bay. I wonder if Rodgers' phone rang when he hurt his shoulder? Did Favre give him any advice on playing through that? That would've been big of him.

Tony...don't come back until you are healed. I would be happy with the Washington game as the target. Lot's of season left and I am confident that at worst they go 1-2 in the next 3 games.

Boy that week 17 game in Philly is looking like a HUGE game.

"I talked to Tony about what I did to play with the thumb,'' Favre said. "Everyone is different and the two injuries are different, so only Tony knows. I will say this: Not only do I think he's tough, but I think he's also one of the top five players in the entire league.''
It sounds to me like Brett does realize that what worked for him may not work for Tony.

Medically, however, this could lead to permanent damage. My fingers are a bit twisted and gnarled from not allowing some breaks to heal properly. My hands still work and I don't really noticeant deficiency in function. Of course I'm not an all pro quarterback.
In your line of work, crooked fingers are a blessing. When they ask you to point at the accused, for example, those fingers keep your options open.

How is this "Favre schtick"?He made a phone call to another QB encouraging him. And its schtick?
Perhaps I'm just jaded now, but it sure seems like another way to just stick it to Green Bay. I wonder if Rodgers' phone rang when he hurt his shoulder? Did Favre give him any advice on playing through that? That would've been big of him.
True...and I joked about the Rodgers thing.I don't think Favre means to stick it to GB...and you never know how he would have or would not have wanted to call Rodgers. Might think its weird with all that went on or put more on Rodgers as far as "youve got to live up to me" kind of feelings. Though, he could have done it in a way of saying he is doing well and so on without it being too bad.I don't know.I think Favre sees alot of himself in Romo though for sure.

BTW... I don't understand what some of you are talking about... Romo is doing even better this year than he was last year. Through 6 weeks he already has 4 - 300 yd games, and 4 - 3 touchdown games.
And he's lost to Washington, barely beat Cincy, and lost to Arizona.He needs his swagger back. Heck, my wife even said he looks off now, particularly pointed it out when the Cowboys tied up the game Sunday and he's moping on the bench in lieu of getting his guys fired up.
Roy Williams will cure it all. I have said from day one that he had to force too many throws. There was a HUGE dropoff between TO and their second receiver. Crayton is just not a #2 guy... so... with TO being double teamed... Witten can only be used in the passing game so much... and Crayton normally unable to get seperation from a good cornerback... Romo had to really force a lot of throws. Now... with TO on one side drawing coverage... Williams on the other... they will both be opened up, and then who the hell will even cover Witten? Now.. Crayton can be used as a good #3 receiver for short routes.... it's on.Also... it isn't as if Romo lost all of those game for them. Their defense really let them down outside of the Arizona game, and he almost won that game for them, until he broke his finger and couldn't grip the ball in OT.
You guys kill me with your apologies for that offense. Kansas City had some record setting offensive seasons 4-5 years ago with only Eddie Freaking Kennison to take attention from Gonzo and the running game. They were running the same general offensive system (an offshoot of the Coryell-Zampese system). You make it sound like you've got the Seattle offense right now with "only" TO and Witten to work with, and now Roy changes everything. Are Garrett and Romo that weetahded that they can't make it work without Roy Williams? :hifive:
You act like the Cowboys aren't scoring points.
No, YOU do. Hence the "we really need Roy" BS. You following me here, cameraguy?

Last edited by a moderator:
*** NEWS FLASH *** Favre haters will find any reason to rip on Favre. This is not a valid reason to hate on Favre.

*** NEWS FLASH *** Many players in the NFL are good friends with other players (even other players on other teams) and talk/text/call each all the time. It is possible that Favre and Romo are actually friends that have had discussions not only in the past, but will continue to do so in the future as well.

*** NEWS FLASH *** The media still blows anything Favre-related way out of proportion. I think this is the main reason for the Favre-hate, people don't realize it is the media that they really hate.

Wade Phillips was asked this exact question this morning on the Ticket (radio) during my commute. When asked about a splint and possible earlier return Wade sounded completely unaware of the possibility of playing with a splint and returning before the bye. It may be gamesmanship from Wade, but he put zero credence into those rumors. I'm guessing the splint and early return won't happen.

Wade Phillips was asked this exact question this morning on the Ticket (radio) during my commute. When asked about a splint and possible earlier return Wade sounded completely unaware of the possibility of playing with a splint and returning before the bye. It may be gamesmanship from Wade, but he put zero credence into those rumors. I'm guessing the splint and early return won't happen.
Im guessing Wade just does not have a clue...lol

I can't believe what I'm reading in this thread. I think the only rational and logical cowboy fan in here is Bankerguy.

Why would any cowboy fan want Romo to try and play through a broken pinkie on his throwing hand rather than having him let it heal? Romo is a great qb, but he has some of the worse ball security skillz in the league. He's prone to being a turnover machine when 100% healthy. I can only imagine the spectacle that would occur if Romo tried to play through this injury -- think Kurt Warner back in the day with the Rams when he had pinkie issues and was regularly turning the ball over 4 - 6 times a game.

Also, I've seen every Dallas game this season and Romo has been missing a lot of throws pretty badly as TO pointed out not too long ago. He's not the model of consistency as far as his accuracy goes. Just think how much more inaccurate he would be trying to play with a broken pinkie.

Report: Romo to throw, status re-evaluated?

Romo

Speaking on a local radio show, Cowboys coach Wade Phillips said Tony Romo would throw in practice in Wednesday and his status could be re-evaluated.

The fallout from Brett Favre's phone call? There's no guarantee that Romo's throwing session will go well, so check back later in the day for updates. We wouldn't bet on seeing Romo behind center Sunday at St. Louis, but it seems reasonable that he could beat his original four-week timetable. Oct. 15 - 10:13 am et

Source: Dallas Morning News

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/HeadLines...L&hl=127073

Looks like Brett's phone call had an effect. :wub:

Tony Romo to play Sunday?

8:53 AM Wed, Oct 15, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz

Barry Horn E-mail News tips

In his weekly stop with The Ticket's Dunham & Miller, Wade Phillips said Romo would throw in practice today and his status could be re-evaluated. At least that is what I think Phillips said while dodging most of the questions, supplying non-answers. He's really good at that.

Edit: Nice find Fantasy Bum.

Thanks Dexter Manley......I think it would be very unwise to play Romo.

I can't believe what I'm reading in this thread. I think the only rational and logical cowboy fan in here is Bankerguy. Why would any cowboy fan want Romo to try and play through a broken pinkie on his throwing hand rather than having him let it heal? Romo is a great qb, but he has some of the worse ball security skillz in the league. He's prone to being a turnover machine when 100% healthy. I can only imagine the spectacle that would occur if Romo tried to play through this injury -- think Kurt Warner back in the day with the Rams when he had pinkie issues and was regularly turning the ball over 4 - 6 times a game.Also, I've seen every Dallas game this season and Romo has been missing a lot of throws pretty badly as TO pointed out not too long ago. He's not the model of consistency as far as his accuracy goes. Just think how much more inaccurate he would be trying to play with a broken pinkie.
I would think he'd take a more reserve approach if he played, shorter passes, getting the ball out quicker so he doesn't get hit. Especially if he can't throw as far.

I can't believe what I'm reading in this thread. I think the only rational and logical cowboy fan in here is Bankerguy. Why would any cowboy fan want Romo to try and play through a broken pinkie on his throwing hand rather than having him let it heal? Romo is a great qb, but he has some of the worse ball security skillz in the league. He's prone to being a turnover machine when 100% healthy. I can only imagine the spectacle that would occur if Romo tried to play through this injury -- think Kurt Warner back in the day with the Rams when he had pinkie issues and was regularly turning the ball over 4 - 6 times a game.Also, I've seen every Dallas game this season and Romo has been missing a lot of throws pretty badly as TO pointed out not too long ago. He's not the model of consistency as far as his accuracy goes. Just think how much more inaccurate he would be trying to play with a broken pinkie.
I would think he'd take a more reserve approach if he played, shorter passes, getting the ball out quicker so he doesn't get hit. Especially if he can't throw as far.
That's precisely what Brad Johnson is good at. If you're going to favor shorter routes, you may as well let a veteran like Johnson do that while Romo gets healthy. :lmao:

I think we're forgetting that this spans beyond football and his ability to throw. Perhaps he's concerned with his ability to perform the shocker and he wants to make sure he rests it?

*** NEWS FLASH *** Favre haters will find any reason to rip on Favre. This is not a valid reason to hate on Favre.*** NEWS FLASH *** Many players in the NFL are good friends with other players (even other players on other teams) and talk/text/call each all the time. It is possible that Favre and Romo are actually friends that have had discussions not only in the past, but will continue to do so in the future as well. *** NEWS FLASH *** The media still blows anything Favre-related way out of proportion. I think this is the main reason for the Favre-hate, people don't realize it is the media that they really hate.
I'm a hater! I'll admit it, but I'm not ripping him here. I think it was one of those things where he says, Hey try this it worked for me. What's wrong with giving advice to a fellow athlete, they may even be friends how do we know. Now it would be different if he came out to the media and said, yeah, Tony is a baby, I've played with worse injuries than that. Hell, they could make a special splint and he could play through the pain if he wasn't such a baby.

I gotta admit the first thing I thought of was broken pinkie and out a month? what is he a baseball player?

But the fingers are very important to passing accuracy, no way he can throw with a splint on

Hey thanks for that info!!

All that is being stated by me in this thread is if he tries the splint and he thinks it does not bother him or his accuracy and the coaches feel it is good to go that maybe Romo comes back early. No doubt to me that Romo is out this week. This is a chance for Brad to gain the trust of the team and coaches and not rush Romo back. Nothing wrong with seeing if this splint works, we will see. I think he could very well be back for the Giant game and by then that finger could be pretty stable. To not try every avenue is not very smart you look at it all ten weight it and make your final decision.

I think we're forgetting that this spans beyond football and his ability to throw. Perhaps he's concerned with his ability to perform the shocker and he wants to make sure he rests it?
LOFL :football: :popcorn: :banned: :excited: :football:
you have issues. you prolly find garfield hilarious too.
Who doesn't love a cat eating lasagna? Who?
Forgive me for finding it funny Please forgive me LOL @ Hipple :lmao:

if true might be able to get him on the cheap if you act quick. If not have a good qb in 4 weeks.
Fantasy Football is about winning NOW. If you're thinking of trading for Romo you need your head examined.**I'm referring to re-draft leagues

*** NEWS FLASH *** Favre haters will find any reason to rip on Favre. This is not a valid reason to hate on Favre.*** NEWS FLASH *** Many players in the NFL are good friends with other players (even other players on other teams) and talk/text/call each all the time. It is possible that Favre and Romo are actually friends that have had discussions not only in the past, but will continue to do so in the future as well. *** NEWS FLASH *** The media still blows anything Favre-related way out of proportion. I think this is the main reason for the Favre-hate, people don't realize it is the media that they really hate.
***NEWS FLASH*** Favre's head and ego still as big as ever.Yes many NFL players are good friends with other players and they might call/text/talk whatever too each other. Only a few would make the call/text/talk and than call someone from ESPN or the media to tell them hey guess what I did. I called Tony Romo to offer him encouragement and advice because I am such a great guy. What a tool.

***NEWS FLASH*** Favre's head and ego still as big as ever.Yes many NFL players are good friends with other players and they might call/text/talk whatever too each other. Only a few would make the call/text/talk and than call someone from ESPN or the media to tell them hey guess what I did. I called Tony Romo to offer him encouragement and advice because I am such a great guy. What a tool.
I really doubt he ran to the media to tell them what he just told Romo, but if you can find a link to prove me wrong please provide it. More likely, I would say, is the media asked him his thoughts on Romo's injury and he told them about the conversation they had, but that is just my guess.

I heard Romo might be throwing in practice today, anyone here how that went?
Tony Romo has been trying to throw some passes despite the broken right pinkie, which is in a cast. Quarterbacks coach Wade Wilson said Romo is tinkering around with throwing and did some in the Cowboys indoor facility on Wednesday.

Wilson said Romo still has some pain and there is a concern about how much vibration it can take from the snap or getting hit. The biggest concern for Romo would be risking further damage before it has healed.
Link

Tony Romo has been trying to throw some passes despite the broken right pinkie, which is in a cast. Quarterbacks coach Wade Wilson said Romo is tinkering around with throwing and did some in the Cowboys indoor facility on Wednesday.

Wilson said Romo still has some pain and there is a concern about how much vibration it can take from the snap or getting hit. The biggest concern for Romo would be risking further damage before it has healed.
Link
At least he won't have to worry about reinjuring it if he hits his hand on one of his linemen's helmets, given how soft that line has been playing. :thumbup:

Link
At least he won't have to worry about reinjuring it if he hits his hand on one of his linemen's helmets, given how soft that line has been playing. :goodposting:
Here is some other news I found it looks to be playing out as I thought it would. I knew you could not go a whole post without a smart comment about the Boys. :confused: Thanks for the info though.Tony Romo (broken pinkie) threw "a little bit" indoors Wednesday, but didn't practice and isn't expected back before the Cowboys' Week 10 bye.

QBs coach Wade Wilson says the team fears Romo will do more damage to his finger. The Cowboys play the lowly Rams this week and almost certainly won't test their luck. If Brad Johnson plays well, he'd probably get the nod in Week 8 versus Tampa. If he stinks at St. Louis, perhaps Dallas will see how Romo looks in practice the following week. But don't get your hopes up.

Source: Dallas Morning News

EDIT to say Fatness thanks for the info and Tatum I though for a second you were bringing some actual news to the thread, instead you revert back to your normal nonsense. My bad for thinking we could have a regular conversation.. Say whatever, I am not responding anymore about this you are on ignore.

if true might be able to get him on the cheap if you act quick. If not have a good qb in 4 weeks.
Fantasy Football is about winning NOW. If you're thinking of trading for Romo you need your head examined.**I'm referring to re-draft leagues
Actually it's about, like...the exact opposite. You can go ahead and win NOW. I'll take weeks 14-16.
It really depends on what situation your team is in. If you are 6-0 then wait it out. If you need to win to get to week 14-16 trade him. In a dynasty or 4+ keeper I would just take my bruises, you can't trade the top qb unless you get a boat load for him.

Tatum I though for a second you were bringing some actual news to the thread, instead you revert back to your normal nonsense. My bad for thinking we could have a regular conversation.. Say whatever, I am not responding anymore about this you are on ignore.
Just wait 'til you learn that Ignore doesn't stop the Quote function. :unsure:

Tatum I though for a second you were bringing some actual news to the thread, instead you revert back to your normal nonsense. My bad for thinking we could have a regular conversation.. Say whatever, I am not responding anymore about this you are on ignore.
I couldn't decide which one to go with, so take your pick:(a. overly-sensitive much?(b. sense of humor down?(c. put him on ignore at your own peril - you're only cheating yourself

Users who are viewing this thread