What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FBG Staff IDP Redraft League (1 Viewer)

I'd really like to hear more about my team.
It sucks. :bye:
Brilliant commentary. Fearing your Week 1 loss already?
That's about as brilliant as my commentary gets. In fact, it gets worse from here. Get used to it.
Just like your team.
Wow...here I try some self-deprecating humor and you still attack?It's on.

:boxing:
You boys settle down now. Don't make me come back there.... :D
Someone finally showed up to take their kicker and end this thing? :)

A little more detailed breakdown of my draft

Couple of quick notes to start: WR and QB are deflated by this scoring format. DEs and IDPs in general are inflated. Knowing I wouldnt carry more than 4 or 5 backups IDPs, I planned on a lot of later picks on WR and RB and adjusted my early strategy accordingly.

1.03 SA - a no brainer. Portis will be good, but SA is a cut above

2.12 Gates - He was the 5th highest scorer last year with only 4 RBs ahead of him in this system. I have no idea why he lasted this long.

3.03 Lewis - In hindsight, TO Moss or Boldin might have been a smarter pick. But I felt that the surer RBs would be picked clean by 4.10. If I waited until 4.10, then I might have felt forced to take more than one RB in the rest of the single digit rounds (such as dillon/maroney or jones/benson), and I needed to all of those picks for stud IDPs and values at QB and WR.

4.10 Santana Moss - Ill take him this late. A solid #1 WR for having waited this long to take one.

5.03 Jason Taylor - discussed him earlier - really thought getting an elite DE was more important than a WR2 or another candidate for RB2 with this scoring system

6.10 Antonio Pierce - discussed him earlier - value in any IDP league this year

7.03 Julius Peppers - maybe a reach, but i really thought DL was the most important IDP spot by far and I think he will be a bonafide stud for a long time. I also wanted two true #1 DL

8.10 McNabb - Ill take that value this late

9.03 Witherspoon - also discussed earlier, like pierce, he represents value in IDP leagues this year.

10.10 Michael lewis - discussed earlier. Honestly planned on waiting on DB because the position is deep in this system, but the value was too good here

11.03, 12.10, 13.03 - Terry Glenn, Isaac Bruce, Eric Moulds - nothing too tricky here, just getting some decent vets to fill in WR2 and WR3. Didnt feel these were too important with the position de-emphasized by the scoring, just want some competent consistent guys to rotate through knowing I would bolster the corps in the later rounds

14.10 Gado - time for a flier at RB. I know he is struggling some in camp, but he was their best RB last year. I thought risk and reward balanced nicely now that we were past pick 150.

15.03 Sean Taylor - honestly this was a by default pick. I just couldnt find any LBs, RBs, or WRs I liked that much, and I wasnt ready to take backups at the other positions yet, so I just took my favorite DB left since I only had one.

16.10 Braylon Edwards - may be a wasted pick, but Ill take my chances that he hits since I already had enough "safe" WRs.

17.03 Shawne merriman - he was in my draft plan from the get-go. check the second half splits, youll be surprised

18.10 David Carr - more than adequate as a backup to mcnabb

19.03 Wilford - like Edwards just looking for high risk/high reward guys at WR to mix with my solid vets

20.10 Quarles - solid value as long as Ruud doesnt displace him.

21.03 Huff - I think he'll get a lot of opps as a rookie

22.10 Daryl Smith - really wanted to be 5 solid LB deep in this system, knowing that a lot of them would get drafted with the big rosters.

23.03 John Henderson - my backup DL . No need to go deeper than 3 at DL or DB because the replacements on the waiver would perform about as well as any left at after this point.

at this point i decided that since my IDPs were set, I would get some longshots at RB

24.10 Cedric Cobbs

25.03 Verron Haynes

two of my favorite dark horses for RB jobs on great running teams

26.10 Arnaz battle- value was too good this late. the dude did produce when healthy last year.

27.03 Eric Johnson - again, value too good to pass up even though he will only need to be a backup on my team (hopefully)

28.10 Ciatrick Fason

29.03 Maurice Morris

30.10 James Mungro

a couple more interesting long shots at RB and a handcuff *although i see RBBC in seattle if SA goes down*

31.03 Jeff Ulbrich - another value pick didnt expect him to last this long.

32.10 Andre Davis -a flier at WR

33.03 Jeff Reed -didnt want to waste blind bidding $ on a kicker until reed's bye week.

Last edited by a moderator:
cracKin' - Shawn Culcasi Player YTD Pts Bye Hasselbeck, Matt SEA QB - 5 Volek, Billy TEN QB - 7 Young, Vince TEN QB - 7 Barlow, Kevan SFO RB - 7 Brown, Ronnie MIA RB - 8 Gore, Frank SFO RB - 7 Holmes, Priest KCC RB - 3 Moore, Mewelde MIN RB - 6 Taylor, Chester MIN RB - 6 Turner, Michael SDC RB - 3 Burress, Plaxico NYG WR - 4 Chambers, Chris MIA WR - 8 Hagan, Derek MIA WR - 8 Holmes, Santonio PIT WR - 4 Robinson, Koren MIN WR - 6 Smith, Steve CAR WR - 9 Stokley, Brandon IND WR - 6 Heap, Todd BAL TE - 7 Smith, Alex TBB TE - 4 Feely, Jay NYG PK - 4 Brown, Alex CHI DE - 7 Mathis, Robert IND DE - 6 Smith, Will NOS DE - 7 Brackett, Gary IND LB - 6 Brooks, Derrick TBB LB - 4 Crowder, Channing MIA LB - 8 Washington, Marcus WAS LB - 8 Bailey, Champ DEN CB - 4 Newman, Terence DAL CB - 3 Trufant, Marcus SEA CB - 5 Davis, Thomas CAR S - 9 Dawkins, Brian PHI S - 9 Wilson, Gibril NYG S - 4 33 Total PlayersThe more I look at this team, the more I like it. As with a lot of us, my goal is to wait out on IDP as long as I can, filling my starting lineup on offense unless a ridiculous IDP value appears.Generally, for IDP, I see strong value in drafting the top handful of DLs or half-handful of DBs early but waiting on LBs. You need to have a ton of confidence on your projections to pull this off, otherwise you can fall on your face (both of which I've done).

QB- Matt Hasselbeck(7.09). Backups Volek(19.09), Vince Young (25.09)

This draft, along with the Survivor draft, should give you a good idea that you shouldn't even look at the QB position until at least the 7th round. Great values to be had, especially with Hasselbeck who I have at #2 but seems to go underrated from what I've seen. I like Billy Volek and think he should be adequate should something happen to Hasselbeck. If Young outplays him and takes the starting gig at some point, all the better.

RB- Ronnie Brown(1.09), Chester Taylor(3.09), Frank Gore(8.04). Backups Mewelde Moore(18.04), Kevan Barlow(15.09), Michael Turner(21.09)

I considered a handful of players at 1.09 (including Rudi Johnson and Edgerrin James) but decided to take a little risk and select the player who I felt had the higher ceiling. I'm pro-Chester Taylor this year and was very happy to see him there at 3.09 (as I was to see Moore there for me later on). I don't really have much of an opinion on the 49ers running game but Gore does have quite a bit of upside and the combo appears to be a safe RB3. Securing an RB3 in the 8th/15th round is pretty sweet. I liken Michael Turner to Larry Johnson this year. Turner probably wouldn't post the same type of numbers that Johnson did, but he could be a gamebreaker who helps decide my fate in this league should he find the opportunity. He's definitely a guy that I'm happy to have on my roster.

WR- Steve Smith(2.04). Chris Chambers(4.04), Plaxico Burress(5.09). Backups Koren Robinson(12.04), Brandon Stokley(26.04)

I took Steve Smith as the #1 WR with Kevin Jones and Julius Jones as possible RBs that I had in mind. It worked out well for me but it's always a nervous situation when you pass on runners and let others decide who your RB2 is going to be. Steve Smith v. Chad Johnson v. Larry Fitzgerald. I really like Fitzgerald and him rated very close to Smith, both ahead of Johnson. If you're going to pass on RB here for a WR it has to be safe, and I think I accomplished that. I actually considered Chris Chambers at 3.09 (between him and Chester Taylor) so it was an easy choice for me at 4.04. De'Shaun Foster and Tatum Bell are both guys that I like and had in my mind, but I wanted to work on my starters. We all know Chambers' situation with the health of Daunte Culpepper, but I see good value as the 13th WR selected. Plaxico Burress at 5.09 was the last guy that I saw in this "tier" and it looks like I wasn't alone (from previous comments in this thread). Last year Burress showed us a little of the potential that this offense has and I see it getting better from here. Once again, as the 18th WR drafted, good value. Jeremy Shockey was my other option here but I decided to wait and hope that Todd Heap dropped to the 6th for me. I'm not sure what to expect from Koren Robinson. The Vikings have undergone an overhaul on offense but he's still the #1 WR there with a productive history (to go with his sketchy past). Worth the risk as a #4, would be worried if he was my #3. Brandon Stokley is being overlooked, from what I've seen. He's still the #3 WR on the leagues most potent offense. His production should be a direct byproduct of Peyton Mannings overall numbers. Solid depth in Stokley. Not so solid depth in Santonio Holmes and Derek Hagan. Holmes was drafted because of talent and possibility, Hagan was drafted because I sense a little Anquan Boldin here. I'd put this group right behind Pasquino's (Holt, Fitzgerald, Stallworth, Reggie Brown) for tops in the league.

TE- Todd Heap(6.04). Backup Alex Smith(20.04)

Heap was the guy that I had my eye on here for a couple of rounds. Not a great value pick as the #4 TE drafted but a solid pick nonetheless. He has a ceiling as the #2 TE but needs to gel with McNair. Alex Smith is a high potential backup who hopefully won't be needed.

DL- Will Smith(10.04), Robert Mathis(17.09). Backup Alex Brown(28.04)

When I drafted Will Smith in the 10th I actually had John Abraham predrafted. I have Smith(DL8) within 3 points of Abraham(DL6) so I wasn't too disappointed. I passed on Terrell Suggs who I have at DL7 because I feel stronger about Smith's potential. I drafted Robert Mathis exactly where I have him ranked, DL18. I was eyeing Jared Allen (DL17) for a couple of round but Norton scooped him up before I could get to him at 16.11. Mathis is a little bit of an unknown now that he should be a full-time starter but he's hard to pass up at this point. I had targetted Tony Hargrove as my #3 DL but lost him to Bremel(23.12). Alex Brown was a nice consolation as the 37th DL drafted. Lose 3 overall points in 5 rounds. Solid group, nothing earth shattering. Two week seven byes mean that I will need to keep my eyes open for another backup early in the year.

LB- Derrick Brooks(11.09), Gary Brackett(13.09), Marcus Washington(16.04). Backups Thomas Davis(24.04), Channing Crowder(23.09)

It was about time for me to jump on a LB with my eyes on the trio of Nick Barnett, Andra Davis and Derrick Brooks. With Barnett and Davis having been picked within four spots before me, the Brooks decision was easy. I have him ranked here as LB13 (higher than my fellow FBGs) and drafted him as the 17th LB, so that's decent. Let's just hope that the old man has some gas left in the tank. After this pick I sat and watched some LBs get swiped who I expected to draft a few rounds later (Kawika Mitchell and Karlos Dansby). I settled on the fact that I'd get AJ Hawk as my #2 LB at 13.09 but watched him go at 13.06 to Weiner. My consolation here was Gary Brackett, a smaller name player who I actually have ranked higher than Hawk. Marcus Washington at 16.04 completes my trio of boring starting linebackers. Their production should highly outweigh my excitement level. I'm not big on Thomas Davis this year and would prefer to sit back and watch him to see if he can produce as the Panthers' SLB, but he was going to get drafted soon and I decided to pick him up. With low expectations, hopefully I'm surprised. Channing Crowder is a guy who I had been eyeing for a couple of rounds, taking the risk in allowing him to fall. Lucky for me this one worked out. His projections aren't all that impressive right now but he's on my list as one of the possible breakout players of 2006. Once again, a solid group that should be consistantly productive. Crowder and Davis have the opportunity to make it much better.

DB- Gibril Wilson(9.09), Brian Dawkins(14.04), Champ Bailey(22.04). Backups Marcus Trufant(31.09), Terence Newman(30.04)

As you can tell, I'm a big supporter in drafting cornerbacks. With the urban myth that they don't tackle and are inconsistent, picking up cornerbacks late allows you to wait on drafting defensive backs while getting similar (or better) value. That being said, a safety was my first IDP drafted. Gibril Wilson is not necessarilly a value pick in where he's selected (DB2 rank, DB3 drafted) but he does fit my strategy of nabbing a top DB. Brian Dawkins should be a great value as the 14th DB drafted. Age is the only obvious concern but he's playing some of the best football of his career. From there I got Bailey, Trufant and Newman. Three of the top tackling cornberbacks who've actually shown consistency against the run with great playmaking skills.

Overall, I rank my DBs among the leagues best while my DL and LB may be lacking. The work that I did on offense should more than make up for this shortcoming.

Last edited by a moderator:
FBG IDP

Pick Pos Player Team (Projected Points)

10.12 QB11 Trent Green KC/3 (205.5)

12.12 QB21 Drew Brees NO/7 (175.6)

33.01 QB36 Matt Schaub Atl/5 (25)

01.01 RB1 Larry Johnson KC/3 (328.7)

06.12 RB26 Ron Dayne Den/4 (133.9)

07.01 RB34 Thomas Jones Chi/7 (115.7)

14.12 RB37 Chris Perry Cin/5 (97.7)

19.01 RB39 Mike Anderson Bal/7 (91.9)

24.12 RB63 Brian Calhoun Det/8 (42.3)

28.12 RB74 Dee Brown KC/3 (31)

03.01 WR4 Torry Holt StL/7 (196.3)

02.12 WR5 Larry Fitzgerald Ari/9 (194.9)

08.12 WR30 Reggie Brown Phi/9 (125.4)

09.01 WR31 Donte Stallworth NO/7 (123.5)

17.01 WR55 Amani Toomer NYG/4 (87.9)

26.12 WR64 Reche Caldwell NE/6 (72.8)

29.01 WR75 Jabar Gaffney Phi/9 (63.9)

11.01 TE9 L.J. Smith Phi/9 (103.8)

15.01 TE12 Jerramy Stevens Sea/5 (100.1)

27.01 PK3 Shayne Graham Cin/5 (119.9)

20.12 DL25 Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila GB/6 (156.8)

30.12 DL28 Cornelius Griffin Was/8 (151.2)

23.01 DL30 Darren Howard Phi/9 (144.9)

13.01 DB5 Ronde Barber TB/4 (184.6)

21.01 DB16 Darren Sharper Min/6 (163.8)

18.12 DB40 Erik Coleman NYJ/9 (147.1)

32.12 DB68 Chris Hope Ten/7 (127.4)

04.12 LB6 Zach Thomas Mia/8 (223.4)

05.01 LB7 Brian Urlacher Chi/7 (223)

16.12 LB20 Tedy Bruschi NE/6 (182.9)

22.12 LB44 Al Wilson Den/4 (154.8)

25.01 LB51 DQwell Jackson Cle/6 (149.5)

31.01 LB112 Landon Johnson Cin/5 (69.5)
Rather than bore you with the scoring system, here are the projected points in (123) form.My draft, in order:

FBG IDP

Opening comments

The first gift I got was the first overall pick. I chose LJ as a matter of preference, but would not have been upset with LT2 either.

Next came 2 stud WRs falling in my lap with Holt and Fitz. That was crazy value. I thought about going RB2 at the 4/5 for maybe Benson / TJones, but my VBD board :) was screaming to go LB. With so many starters (17), the impact of a weak RB2 would be minimal, if any. I can afford to gamble some there, so that was the path I chose.

As a result, I also chose to grab two elite LBs at 4/5.

So I started:

Larry Johnson

Larry Fitzgerald

Torry Holt

Brian Urlacher

Zach Thomas

That sounds pretty good out of the gate.

Coming back with RB/RB at 6/7 made sense, and I got good value with Dayne and TJones (I missed Benson by 1 pick).

Reggie Brown and Donte Stallworth were again huge values for WR3/4, and I chose them over a TE at the 8/9 turn. LJ Smith was thankfully still there at 10, so I scooped him up along with my starting QB, the always underrated Trent Green.

Round 12 and my other desired QB is there, Drew Brees. Easy choice, especially if I can couple him with Stallworth.

I know by now that I'm neglecting IDPs, but that is on purpose. I don't see much differentiation amongst DBs and DLs, so I can afford to wait while I get skill positions. Grabbing 2 LBs early set the stage there and afforded me the chance to grab predominantly offense at the top of the draft.

But, come Round 13, I felt that I had good value on the board. So I chose Ronde Barber.

14/15 I take more values, Chris Perry and TE Jerramy Stevens. I know by taking Stevens I miss out on Zach Hilton, but I can live with that.

After here, I decide to start to lean towards grabbing one offense, one defense for the balance of the draft. I figure that I will take 3 DL (start 2), 4-5 DBs (start 3), and 5-6 LBs (start 3). We will see how that progresses.

16/17 - LB3 in Tedy Bruschi. Reasonably happy with that choice. WR - Amani Toomer - had him as an underrated WR.

18/19 - Erik Coleman - I'm not much into IDP, (hence the team name), but I dabble. His numbers looked too good to pass up. RB Mike Anderson was also a good value.

20/21 - KGB as my first DL. Tough to get a DL stud unless they project to high sack totals. KGB works for that, as we near the end of 8-10 sack-projected linemen.

Oops - broke the "1 Off, 1 Def" pattern. Took DB2 here in Darren Sharper. His value was too high so I took him here as I started to lean towards getting my starters.

22/23 - LB Al Wilson - purely a projection pick based on FBG rankings. I know the name and he's ok in my book, but I think he's just kinda serviceable. He does have a 99-tackle season in his career, but I see him as a spot starter at best on my team.

Oops - did it again. Had to. One of my Eagles was a value, so I took Darren Howard. Almost took him at 20/21 with KGB, but he stayed on the board for me. Again - 8-10 projected sacks. Value.

24/25 - Missed out on some sleeper RBs (Drew, Cobbs), but Calhoun on the board. Time to take him.

D'Qwell Jackson. I think the apostrophe is creating issues on the site today, as I can't find him on a few pages, but he's a huge value here. ADP of the 17th round? Granted rooks go higher, but this is HUGE value for LB5. Added bonus of his bye week playing off 3 of the 4 I have already selected, including the Top 3. Sign him up.

Whew. I need a break.

:)

Ok, let's continue. We're almost done.

26/27 - WR run (???) goin' down. Not sure why, none are really valuable that I see - maybe Cedrick Wilson or Battle - but come my turn my guy is there. Reche Caldwell is being slept on, again. Signed him up.

Went PK here with a few off the board already. Figured I'd get one with a leg and with some distance bonus, that could be a value. Former Hokie Shayne Graham on board.

28/29 - Jabar Gaffney still there, my projected WR2 in Philly. Grab. Dee Brown also taken to handcuff to LJ.

30/31 - Winding down. Thought about QB3 here, probably should have done it.

DL Cornelius Griffin looks like a steal based on Norton's rankings, so I'm buying in.

The next pick was a stealth value play - taking Landon Johnson who is allegedly filling in for Odell Thurman in Cincy for 4 games. That's 1/3 of the regular season here, so I will take MLB numbers for 4 games, sure. If I have to cut him come bye week management season, so be it.

32/33 - Ok, not taking QB3 at 30/31 hurts now. I wish I had taken Frye, but he's gone one pick before my turn. :hey: Second time Norton got me (Benson way early), but overall I can't be too angry with this draft. I take my sleeper DB (yep, I have one, really) in Chris Hope. I hear that they are going to use him in TEN like PIT uses Troy Palumalu, so that's worth a flyer to me.

I take Matt Schaub with a QB3 role - only because I think he might have a decent game if Vick is hurt. Not my favorite choice by far. We'll see how long he sticks on my team, or if I trade him to the Vick owner.

Conclusions

FBG IDP

Wow this is long. I hope that covers it well enough. Feel free to tear it up/down and evaluate it. I think I'm strong at RB1, WR1-3, TE1, LB1-2, DB1 and PK. DL and DB are ok - not fantastic - but they are manageable. My bye weeks look great - WR2 and 3 (Brown, Fitz) have the same week, but I have 7 WRs so I should be fine. My DL (3) have no overlapped byes, nor do my DBs or 5 of 6 LBs. That's great news.

QB3 could certainly be better, but if that's my biggest issue I'm not worried. Green and Brees should handle the job.

We'll see how this goes, but if the Draft Dominator grades this anything like it will play out, I have the overall strongest team at both depth and starters. I'm not 100% sold on picking based on DD projections of course, I just check out the results when all is said and done. I found it interesting that I'm projected to go 8-0 with 5 games too close to call, so I like the sound of that.

OK - so how did I do?
Ok, my turn to gloat a little.This was a solid league, with Weiner Dog, myself and Dave Baker all reaching the post-season out of a 4-team division.

Bloom, Norton and Bremel all made the playoffs in two other divisions.

After beating Weiner Dog, I edged Norton on LT2's bad week and was able to outlast Jene last week. Luckily it wasn't in the other order, as John would have beaten me by about 1/2 a point in Week 16 otherwise.

Overall, great job and fun league. Very competitive, but I'm happy to have held my own vs. the competition. Chris Hope was - no doubt - the SOD and helped me bigtime. The early LB picks (ZThomas, BUrlacher) were also crucial.

See ya next year where I go for the repeat.

#2 scoring team, missed the playoffs by losing to Jene in a week 14. Bad roster decisions early in the year killed me. I was floating around .500 too long while MFL was telling me that I could've been much better. Sometimes I can't get out of my own way.

:rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread