What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FBGs vs Kasparov- chess game- Draw agreed to (1 Viewer)

Since it's Kasparov, I went ahead asked Joel Benjamin to sign up over here to help. Now Kaspy can finally have his revenge. He's waiting on account approval.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tim, will update the first post with pgn as we move along? That would be super helpful for dolts like me.

Kaspy plays c4.

Now what?
e6 Nimzo FTW
Whats the idea behind this?
3 Nc3 Bb4. pins the knight, threatens to double the pawn. prevents e4......etc. i love the Nimzo.

doesn't rule out 3...d5 going back to the QGD.
:goodposting:

Nimzo is a very flexible opening. Nimzowitsch's original idea with this was to get an improved variation of the QGD. At the GM level, avoiding the Nimzo with Nf3 is more common than permitting it with Nc3. It's very hard to prove an advantage against it with White.

Kaspy plays c4.

Now what?
e6 Nimzo FTW
Whats the idea behind this?
3 Nc3 Bb4. pins the knight, threatens to double the pawn. prevents e4......etc. i love the Nimzo.doesn't rule out 3...d5 going back to the QGD.
OK. This seems to be the idea to playing nf6. Anybody have other ideas?
The only other reasonable option here would be g6 heading for a King's Indian (or Grunfeld).

Ya, although we could go Benoni or Benko here with C6 which seems like a terrible idea

There's no need, just go with Nimzo. I've never played it as black, but defended against it many a tim.

I don't mind reaching quick consensus early on since we're playing a standard opening. Very shortly though, the moment book stops we are really going to take our time on this. That's the whole point of this exercise and also the only chance we have. As Sac Bob pointed out, we need to use all of our minds to see stuff that a single person can't.

Also- and this is just as true for those of you who are novices but want to be involved- don't be afraid to ask questions. There are no stupid questions in this. Sometimes an innocent question (what if he takes the knight? Etc) will lead us to consider stuff we didn't.) so please ask.

D5 is really only viable alternative to go into a Ragozin (which I know better than the nimzo, oddly enough).

But I'd vote to go for the pin. I can't imagine sbob and joffer had any other ideas in mind when we went down this road.

I'm expecting his follow up to be qc2

For a complete chess novice, and half this stuff is like a foreign language, can group think/discussion from lesser skilled players beat a superior opponent? Does knowing he's playing against multiple people change his strategy all together? Or does he react as though it's one person making the moves and he's got a bunch of common responses to "X" move?
It would be a net benefit to the group. Person #1 might see idea A, B, C / Person #2 might see idea A, B, D / Person #3 might see idea C, D, E. Being able to see all of these ideas and try refuting them in the group analysis will result a stronger move on average.
Got it. Would you vary your play much knowing you were playing against a group of people instead of an individual?

For a complete chess novice, and half this stuff is like a foreign language, can group think/discussion from lesser skilled players beat a superior opponent? Does knowing he's playing against multiple people change his strategy all together? Or does he react as though it's one person making the moves and he's got a bunch of common responses to "X" move?
It would be a net benefit to the group. Person #1 might see idea A, B, C / Person #2 might see idea A, B, D / Person #3 might see idea C, D, E. Being able to see all of these ideas and try refuting them in the group analysis will result a stronger move on average.
Got it. Would you vary your play much knowing you were playing against a group of people instead of an individual?
No, I would play the best moves possible.

BTW

Aviv Friedman (who is an absolute fantastic lecturer), just did a lecture yesterday on a Keres vs Botvinnik Nimzo-Indian Game for anyone looking for general "ideas" behind the opening and how the loss of a tempo in exchange for the bishop pair can be a advantageous for black. The loss of time in the opening for White in the nimzo proves deadly in this case. I know tim was asking about a few "whys" behind the Nimzo for black and this just does an amazing job of explaining them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijleBScNchw

Enjoy it, if watching chess lectures is your thing.

Also, SBob or someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but the Qc2 on move 4, a quiet variation, is now the most popular response in modern chess to the Nimzo

Last edited by a moderator:
Qc2 (The classical variation) is the most common move and believed to be the best try for an advantage in the Nimzo. White is trying to have his cake and eat it too by acquiring the bishop pair, without the corresponding weakening of the pawn structure. White can quickly find himself behind in development and mated and is the hardest variation for White to handle.

Qc2 (The classical variation) is the most common move and believed to be the best try for an advantage in the Nimzo. White is trying to have his cake and eat it too by acquiring the bishop pair, without the corresponding weakening of the pawn structure. White can quickly find himself behind in development and mated and is the hardest variation for White to handle.
Thx, I was under the impression while it was always played, it's literally been the last 4 or 5 years to where it's gained popularity as being the number 1 move there.

Users who are viewing this thread