What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FBGs vs Kasparov- chess game- Draw agreed to (1 Viewer)

Also, at this point, I vote Joffer and/or SBob take us through the opening and just be honest here about where you're unsure or where roads diverge on the theory. I believe if Qc2 here, usually C5 is played against me when I'm white - but again - I don't play vs many nimzos. You guys should help us not #### it up til we get passed the opening

Also, at this point, I vote Joffer and/or SBob take us through the opening and just be honest here about where you're unsure or where roads diverge on the theory. I believe if Qc2 here, usually C5 is played against me when I'm white - but again - I don't play vs many nimzos. You guys should help us not #### it up til we get passed the opening
Agreed. We want to get past the opening in good shape, Of course with some kind of direction for the middlegame.

Agreed. We want to get past the opening in good shape, Of course with some kind of direction for the middlegame.
as long as they express with confidence ("this is the move") and maybe drop a sentence or two about why, this is the way to go. Then our "advantage" should kick in with more eyes on things. It's too unfamiliar for me, and seems like you're in the same boat along with the rest of us.

Last edited by a moderator:
So this show was apparently a thing about 10 years ago. They have all of the episodes up on Youtube and it's an amazing trainwreck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpamG7Pv6tU&feature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajq3H0UX4d8&feature=youtu.be
Wow

There goes my afternoon.

Thank you for this.
Chess AND trolling -- it's a Bender fapfest.

So this show was apparently a thing about 10 years ago. They have all of the episodes up on Youtube and it's an amazing trainwreck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpamG7Pv6tU&feature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajq3H0UX4d8&feature=youtu.be
Wow

There goes my afternoon.

Thank you for this.
Chess AND trolling -- it's a Bender fapfest.
so true :lol:

John Bender said:
BTW

Aviv Friedman (who is an absolute fantastic lecturer), just did a lecture yesterday on a Keres vs Botvinnik Nimzo-Indian Game for anyone looking for general "ideas" behind the opening and how the loss of a tempo in exchange for the bishop pair can be a advantageous for black. The loss of time in the opening for White in the nimzo proves deadly in this case. I know tim was asking about a few "whys" behind the Nimzo for black and this just does an amazing job of explaining them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijleBScNchw

Enjoy it, if watching chess lectures is your thing.

Also, SBob or someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but the Qc2 on move 4, a quiet variation, is now the most popular response in modern chess to the Nimzo
that was really good.

John Bender said:
BTW

Aviv Friedman (who is an absolute fantastic lecturer), just did a lecture yesterday on a Keres vs Botvinnik Nimzo-Indian Game for anyone looking for general "ideas" behind the opening and how the loss of a tempo in exchange for the bishop pair can be a advantageous for black. The loss of time in the opening for White in the nimzo proves deadly in this case. I know tim was asking about a few "whys" behind the Nimzo for black and this just does an amazing job of explaining them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijleBScNchw

Enjoy it, if watching chess lectures is your thing.

Also, SBob or someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but the Qc2 on move 4, a quiet variation, is now the most popular response in modern chess to the Nimzo
that was really good.
He's the best as far as relating "ideas" to the audience and has his own playlist on that channel if you want more.

You can learn/memorize openings. You can do all the standard endgame studies, but if you want to understand middle games and ideas behind moves in the middle game, to me, no one is better than Aviv.

What happens if we delay castling, develop on the queen side and then decide when/where to castle based on the position?

I normally castle relatively early but curious if that's the consensus best play against someone like Kaspy.

Kaspy was on a plane all day, he just landed.

4. e3

He writes:

Just landed. I think Qc2 is better here in this team vs. me format, but I'm well versed in the Rubinstein, so away we go.

:shock:

I hope somebody here is well versed in the Rubinstein, too...

Last edited by a moderator:

4. e3

He writes:

Just landed. I think Qc2 is better here in this team vs. me format, but I'm well versed in the Rubinstein, so away we go.

Oof. Well, 0-0 is pretty much the next logical move in response to e3 in the Rubinstein variations.

4. e3

He writes:

Oof. Well, 0-0 is pretty much the next logical move in response to e3 in the Rubinstein variations.
Why? And let's talk about the Rubinstein.

4. e3

He writes:

Why? And let's talk about the Rubinstein.
There isn't really one Rubinstein because the guy had such a pervasive influence, but anytime anyone does e3 in a closed game, they're playing it against the Nimzo or its transpositions. I'd like to see what JB et al. say, but I'd say kingside castling is about 85% for the next move. In this case, it helps us because we are still on the attack with the pin and can take the time to tuck away our king.

Nice, I play the Rubinstein as White. Lots of viable moves for Black here, but I prefer playing in the style of Fischer with ...b6! Black's bishop will go to a6 in some lines putting immediate pressure on the c4-pawn or it can play from a normal spot such as b7, putting pressure on the long diagonal and White's king.

A standard continuation here might be

4... b6

5. Ne2 Ba6

6. a3 Be7

7. Nf4 d5 (continuing with pressure on the c4 pawn)

5. Bd3 would be White's other try, when Black instead develops the bishop to the long diagonal, castles short and plays d5

Nice, I play the Rubinstein as White. Lots of viable moves for Black here, but I prefer playing in the style of Fischer with ...b6! Black's bishop will go to a6 in some lines putting immediate pressure on the c4-pawn or it can play from a normal spot such as b7, putting pressure on the long diagonal and White's king.

4... b6

5. Ne2 Ba6

6. a3 Be7

5. Bd3 would be White's other try, when Black instead develops the bishop to the long diagonal, castles short and plays d5
Why be7 after a3? Wasn't the whole point of Bb4 to take the knight?

4... b6

5. Ne2 Ba6

6. a3 Be7

It depends. Just like with Qc2, 5. Ne2 will allow White to recapture with the knight and avoid the doubled pawns. So in that case, Black decline taking the knight and instead redeploys to Be7. Black isn't losing any time because the knight on e2 must move again if White wants to castle.

4... b6

5. Ne2 Ba6

6. a3 Be7

It depends. Just like with Qc2, 5. Ne2 will allow White to recapture with the knight and avoid the doubled pawns. So in that case, Black decline taking the knight and instead redeploys to Be7. Black isn't losing any time because the knight on e2 must move again if White wants to castle.
OK that makes sense. What about taking the knight right now then, or Ne4?

4. e3

He writes:

Possibly helpful.I like his videos.
That was very helpful. It looks like b6 and c5 are both pretty aggressive, while castling is the more conservative approach. Thoughts?

Sacramento Bob, personally I am not opposed to more aggressive play like b6 and Ba6, but ONLY if you know the variations involved.

Based on the video, c5 is even more aggressive than b6 as it forces immediate confrontation.

There's no consensus yet. I'd like to hear from a few others especially Joffer since he seems to know this opening as well. It sure sounds like whatever we decide here will set the tone for the entire game, and I really don't know these variations at all.

4. e3

He writes:

That was very helpful. It looks like b6 and c5 are both pretty aggressive, while castling is the more conservative approach. Thoughts?
I like b6 and later fianchettoing the bishop. And if he allows us the luxury of delaying castling, maybe castle on the queen side later? He may not be expecting that.Just throwing out food for thought, remember I'm still a 1200's player.

d5 and Nf6 are both good options. I don't know much about NF6 opening lines, but probably a lot of you do. What kind of game do we want here?
He usually plays C4 after D4.Nf6 keeps things flexible, Kings Indian or Grunfeld - both can be much sharper than a slav. I'd prefer to keep it solid and play D5 followed be C6
Can you translate into 3rd grader English for me. I'm curious and want to learn

4. e3

He writes:

I like b6 and later fianchettoing the bishop. And if he allows us the luxury of delaying castling, maybe castle on the queen side later? He may not be expecting that.Just throwing out food for thought, remember I'm still a 1200's player.
IF we play b6 we're not going to fianchetto the bishop, because the only guy here who knows the lines for b6 wants to play the Fischer variation which is Ba6, putting added pressure on the c4 pawn. So if we play b6 we're going to follow Sac Bob's lead through the opening. Which is fine if that's what you guys want. Or we could just play it safe and conservative and castle which apparently more of you are familiar with.

I like castling as the safe play but I'm wondering if something unconventional is needed to actually take him down.

You guys are better at this than me so I'll hang up and listen.

I'm down with going with SBob's call but to make sure he knows the pull the rip chord when he's unsure.

Also, I think I'm on the same page as Tim that each move suggestion needs to come with an explanation or analysis now.

Lastly, don't take the Knight unless we're prompted to. The pin will remain there and we don't need to pick up the Knight unprovoked, develop until he make us take it.

Were I playing this alone, I'd play C5 here, but I'm not so I defer to SBob.

My only concern with castling is that in my various losses to Kaspy I have never been able to put any pressure on him in my openings. Every game had led inevitably to a middlegame in which I am the guy being pressured, slowly but surely, until finally I am crushed. That experience makes me want to be more aggressive on the beginning to see if I can change that outcome. But that's just me though.

There seems to be s consensus to follow Sacramento Bob's lead. But before we do that Id like to hear from you again Bob. If we do this you're going to call the shots for the next several moves most likely (though we expect you to explain your reasons for each move). We would need you to get us through this opening. Are you confident that you can?

Why don't you like it, AA?
Well, because either 5.Ne2 or 5.Bd3 effectively neutralizes the position (just IMO) and I feel like we've lost a tempo. I do understand what you're saying about castling against him, but I feel as though we've bought some time and maintained equality with our current position, and I would like to see what he does in response to a conservative move so we know what line of attack to pursue.

Users who are viewing this thread