What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FBGs vs Kasparov- chess game- Draw agreed to (1 Viewer)

Bob, what's the downside to 0-0?
No huge downsides. We end up with positions that look more like the Exchange variation of the Queen's Gambit declined. We don't have to give up the bishop pair if we don't want to. Not a huge fan of that structure from the Black side, but Black has achieved locking White's queen bishop in behind the pawn chain.

Depending on his next move, we can still go with c5.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just an idea for a format going forward:

Tim is the moderator.

We have a debate for each move.

Tim calls for an official vote.

Tim tallies vote count, and sends our move to Kaspy.
Might not be necessary for EVERY move. Obviously this one is pretty important.
The debate period doesn't have to be very long and you can certainly use moderator discretion on obvious recaptures and only legal move scenarios.

SacramentoBob said:
wdcrob said:
No huge downsides. We end up with positions that look more like the Exchange variation of the Queen's Gambit declined. We don't have to give up the bishop pair if we don't want to. Not a huge fan of that structure from the Black side, but Black has achieved locking White's queen bishop in behind the pawn chain.

Depending on his next move, we can still go with c5.
this

SacramentoBob said:
wdcrob said:
No huge downsides. We end up with positions that look more like the Exchange variation of the Queen's Gambit declined. We don't have to give up the bishop pair if we don't want to. Not a huge fan of that structure from the Black side, but Black has achieved locking White's queen bishop in behind the pawn chain.Depending on his next move, we can still go with c5.
this
Too late. c5 was played.

a3 would force us to take the knight, right?

According to the video McGarnicle posted, the key square for us is e4. Our whole position is designed to control that square. If that's the case then at some point we're going to want to talk play b6, Bb7, and maybe e5?

SacramentoBob said:
wdcrob said:
No huge downsides. We end up with positions that look more like the Exchange variation of the Queen's Gambit declined. We don't have to give up the bishop pair if we don't want to. Not a huge fan of that structure from the Black side, but Black has achieved locking White's queen bishop in behind the pawn chain.Depending on his next move, we can still go with c5.
this
Too late. c5 was played.
and so it begins.....

SacramentoBob said:
wdcrob said:
this
Too late. c5 was played.
and so it begins.....
Sorry you came in an hour late with your vote. :loco:

If two or more pieces can land on the same space, you have to qualify what piece will be moving. Thus B/N for Bishop and kNight (King gets the K). If two of the same piece R/B/N can land on the same square, you specify the square the piece moved from.

No wonder I'm a bad chess player. So, if two+ pawns can end up on the same square, just note the square the moving pawn came from?

If I were white, (and I don't know this opening remember) I would play Bd3. That defends the e4 square (which black is trying to control) and sets up playing e4 later on, which I assume is the key to white opening his position (just as its our key to stop it).

The problem with Nge2 is that it can't stay there because the bishop is blocked; this much I understand from my Dutch opening.

Agreed.

Nice board McGarnicle.

Will be streaming chess on my twitch channel tonight for all you real nerds.

I'm really interested in this but just super busy. I'll follow along and offer input when I can.

Go get 'em!

This is a situation where a webcam pointed at a board would be useful. Preferably use strippers to make the moves.

I'm really interested in this but just super busy. I'll follow along and offer input when I can.

Go get 'em!
No worries. Nothing has happened yet.

We're gonna need you later. We're gonna need everybody. The most important thing, besides noticing potential tactical traps, is to try to guess what Kaspy's idea is behind each move.

Out of curiosity... how good are SacBob and Pickles vis Kasparov?
I don't know about SacBob, but Mr. Pickles is an excellent player, possibly close to Kaspy's level. Not that he'd offer it anyhow, but I don't want Pickles to give us advice; I feel like that would be cheating.

I only played him once, but I'm pretty sure Pickles is the best player I've played. I could feel I was being constricted before I saw any real threats. By the time I did it was over. Was totally different than any other game I've played.

Go get 'em!
No worries. Nothing has happened yet.We're gonna need you later. We're gonna need everybody. The most important thing, besides noticing potential tactical traps, is to try to guess what Kaspy's idea is behind each move.
I've already learned stuff and we're just getting started. Can't wait to see if the collective wisdom is an advantage in the end.

Users who are viewing this thread