What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Feeling sentimental: TV, book or movie series you've felt a "loss" when they're over (1 Viewer)

-OZ-

Footballguy
We might have discussed this before. 

What tv, movie or even book franchises have you felt a little sad when they were over?

With star wars - the third trilogy - finally reaching completion, the good place ending, Marvel (sort of), etc finishing this year, among others, it seems there's a little bit of a loss with these. Much less so with SW this time, but ROTJ certainly had it for me. 

Many franchises outlive their true sentimental connection.  Like Star wars, the money grab seems to take priority over great stories. But some end before we're ready.

Off the top of my head which I truly miss watching each new episode, film or book, and would have loved more:

Harry Potter - books and movies

Marvel phase 3 - I really don't think we'll have the same connection going forward, but part of that is timing. My oldest son and I watched every movie in the theater, and with him being a junior in HS, it seems less likely that we'll see every future Marvel film.

There are other shows I thought I'd miss but don't really. Friends, big bang theory, how I met your mother... Just don't have the same sentiment. 

What about you? 

There have been a few for me - hard to tell if it was the series coming to an end or that the final episode was what did it. 

Person of Interest

Big Bang Theory (I think this was due to the final episode)

Six Feet Under

Mad Men

The Shield - First show I ever "binged" watched (on a portable DVD player no less) when I was travelling a lot for work

Downton Abbey

The West Wing

Dexter (well I was just more glad it was finally over so I could stop watching)

Every time I finish one of the books in The Stormlight Archive, I dread being one book closer to its end. Thankfully Sanderson has said there will be plenty more in the series.

Half way through Game of Thrones, I would have dreaded the thought of it ending. However, they screwed up the last few seasons (especially the last one) and I was indifferent that it ended.

Every time I finish one of the books in The Stormlight Archive, I dread being one book closer to its end. Thankfully Sanderson has said there will be plenty more in the series.
Worth picking up if I've never heard of it?

It's odd to me that the 2 that instantly come to mind are on the YA spectrum:

Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Harry Potter (the books, not so much the movies)

Very well written, very long books.  If I remember right, it took me quite a bit to adjust to the magic/rules of the world, but I did like the GOT style of having different chapters from different character POV.   Only read the first one though...

I remember three books that really stood out to me 

The Closing Of The American Mind by Allan Bloom

A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole

and Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace 

They're complicated book with complicated themes, all of which I don't understand nor comprehend. That seems to be fine with me. The big thing is how the characters, witting or unwitting, take their place as if on a grand stage. I especially love the modern depictions of New Orleans and Boston in the fiction books, and how characters seem transported out of intellectual time to that particular zeitgeist. 

I am glad to say that the fate suffered by two of the authors was not suffered by the other, and that by a sense of loss in finishing the books, I was done conversing with the author as a reader to an author for a very long time, sadly in one instance, ever. RIP to all three men. 

From my standpoint, yes ofc! Beware, they are some very, very lengthy tomes.

Sanderson is acclaimed for crafting rules to the magic in his worlds and strictly abiding by them. It isn't like Harry Potter where everyone can do a spell for everything or there's a magic knickknack for every chore around a wizard's house.

I've had many, but the one that had the greatest impact on me was Chuck.

First time I finished that show put me into a little mini-depression for a few days.

It wasn’t groundbreaking TV or even something I’d argue as belonging in upper echelon series consideration, but I was really bummed when Fringe got pulled

Users who are viewing this thread