What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FFA Official Horror Movie Thread (3 Viewers)

In a Violent Nature
Might put this on too, it's been in my queue a while
Wife saw the tailer and noped out lol

Hush it is
I made a pivot as well and watched Backcountry
Hush was very good. So far I’m 2 for 2 with the wife using our lists lol

I think I've mentioned that Hush is my favorite home invasion horror movie. Just an excellent premise executed near perfectly.

In a Violent Nature

Hush it is

I think I've mentioned that Hush is my favorite home invasion horror movie. Just an excellent premise executed near perfectly.
I need to watch Hush and VHS 1 and 2

In a Violent Nature

Hush it is

I need to watch Hush and VHS 1 and 2
Hush is very underrated. Good little flick.

In A Violent Nature - Pretty sure if you remove the third person view of the Jason stand-in walking through the woods then this movie would be 15 minutes long. Interesting premise but incredibly boring.

In a Violent Nature

Hush it is

Yup, I search through that thread when looking up movies to read you fella’s reviews

1st - Immaculate (Hulu) Grade B

2nd - Wind Chill (Tubi) The wife chose this one. Stars Emily Blunt as a college student taking a ride back home from a fellow student right before Christmas. Tensions between the two build as the weather worsens. Predictable but effective until it wasn't. My wife liked the turn it took (well before the ending, so forgive the minor spoiler), me not so much. There was a good amount here that I liked mixed in with some things that I didn't, so I'll score this in the middle. Grade C.

3rd - Oddity (AMC+/Shudder) Wow, now this is a must watch. I am very hesitant to mention anything about this film, as I don't want to ruin anything about it at all for anyone. It's got a great story, eerie atmosphere, characters you care about and is scary at all the right times. I fully expect this to be my Number One for horror this month and quite possibly for the year. This and Late Night with the Devil will justify your AMC+ subscription alone. Grade A+

Went for a double dip today, second movie was Salem’s Lot (2024). Tough story to fit into movie length. Would have been a fun series. It wasn’t bad, but at this point only Flanagan should be entrusted with King. Could you imagine if he would have made The Stand remake instead of that crapfest?

2nd - Wind Chill (Tubi) The wife chose this one. Stars Emily Blunt as a college student taking a ride back home from a fellow student right before Christmas. Tensions between the two build as the weather worsens. Predictable but effective until it wasn't. My wife liked the turn it took (well before the ending, so forgive the minor spoiler), me not so much. There was a good amount here that I liked mixed in with some things that I didn't, so I'll score this in the middle. Grade C.

3rd - Oddity (AMC+/Shudder) Wow, now this is a must watch. I am very hesitant to mention anything about this film, as I don't want to ruin anything about it at all for anyone. It's got a great story, eerie atmosphere, characters you care about and is scary at all the right times. I fully expect this to be my Number One for horror this month and quite possibly for the year. This and Late Night with the Devil will justify your AMC+ subscription alone. Grade A+
You brought Talk To Me to my attention, so I closely follow these.

Oddity added

V/H/S - I'm way behind on this one, but watched last night for the first time. It was not what I expected (anthology format) but I think they pulled it off really well. Most of the stories were very creepy, and handling these as short stories helped eliminate "filler".

I think they handled the found footage aspect very well up until the last story where I couldn't figured out who in the group was videotaping it - and why he would keep doing so while all the **** was going down.

"Amateur Night", the story with the Succubus was the highlight for me, and the one with the doctor talking with his girlfriend living in the "haunted" apartment was very chilling and well done.

This is one movie and not multiple? Where is it streaming?

You brought Talk To Me to my attention, so I closely follow these.

Oddity added
We did it tonight.

really enjoyed it. 9/10 jump scare in this one

V/H/S - I'm way behind on this one, but watched last night for the first time. It was not what I expected (anthology format) but I think they pulled it off really well. Most of the stories were very creepy, and handling these as short stories helped eliminate "filler".

I think they handled the found footage aspect very well up until the last story where I couldn't figured out who in the group was videotaping it - and why he would keep doing so while all the **** was going down.

"Amateur Night", the story with the Succubus was the highlight for me, and the one with the doctor talking with his girlfriend living in the "haunted" apartment was very chilling and well done.

This is one movie and not multiple? Where is it streaming?
I watched it on Prime.

There’s one underlying storyline - and multiple short stories are worked into it. So it’s one movie but an anthology.

ETA: there’s multiple sequels as well.

Saw Sinister last night, which was 51 on the horror countdown, one of the highest ranking movies I had not seen. Overall a really great movie, A+ for the sound/score which really added to the overall tone. Strong story, good acting and imo they pretty much stuck the landing which is hit or miss with horror. Would definitely recommend, A-.

Saw Sinister last night, which was 51 on the horror countdown, one of the highest ranking movies I had not seen. Overall a really great movie, A+ for the sound/score which really added to the overall tone. Strong story, good acting and imo they pretty much stuck the landing which is hit or miss with horror. Would definitely recommend, A-.
Speaking of jump scares…

Extremely disturbing story. I really liked the movie. Ethan Hawke was outstanding.

Part 2 was not bad either. Not as good, but also had some serious creep factor.

Great movie that would've been greater if.... (in spoilers just in case)

"the demon didnt look like the bassist from a random nu-metal band. This one would have been better had it gone the serial killer route making it sort of a more "horror" version of SotL. "]

The first week of October has been rough for me for movie watching, but I have caught a few from the latter part of September and this week.

Out Come The Wolves - Directed by Adam MacDonald, who also did Backcountry, this is similar to that in the "villain" comes in the form of wild animals. If you liked Backcountry you'll like this one as well and will certainly be rooting for and against a couple of the characters. 4/5

Creeping Death - Slasher in which the killer is a supernatural being that can only walk the Earth on Halloween and the requires "offerings" to keep people safe. It's a bit all over the place and takes some leaps of faith with some plot points, but it has some inventive kills and is at worst a fair movie. 2.5/5

The Deliverance - Possession movie with a different take on the family dynamic. As I was watching, I was trying to figure out how I recognized one of the central characters before finally settling on, "Is that Glenn Close?" The answer is yes. It's a really good story but does have some fairly strong religious overtones if that's a turn-off. 4/5

The Last Breath - I'm a sucker for shark-horror so when this came onto my radar I knew it was going to get watched. Basic premise is a group of college-age friends go on a vacation and talk the captain of a charter ship into taking them out to scuba dive a shipwreck. A shark shows up and the group is trapped in the catacombs of the shipwreck and running out of oxygen. It's not high-class, but it's a fun popcorn flick with some decent effects. 3/5

Trap - The latest from M. Night Shyamalan, it stars Josh Hartnett as a dad taking his teen daughter to a concert of the mega-popular singer Lady Raven (think Taylor Swift level excitement for most teen girls). Hartnett leads a double-life as a serial killer and the police have used the concert as a trap to catch him. This is more thriller than horror, but does have some suspenseful moments. Shyamalan has been more miss than hit lately, but this one was quite entertaining. 3.75/5

On tap for the next week or so: Longlegs, Cuckoo, Place of Bones, Maxxxine

2nd - Wind Chill (Tubi) Grade C.
3rd - Oddity (AMC+/Shudder) Grade A+

4th - The Wicker Man (1973) (Freevee) At 63rd, this was the highest placer from the Top 200 list that I hadn't seen, so I sought to rectify that. This definitely has a 1970's feel, which is not a criticism. I liked the juxtaposition of the staunchly religious investigator surrounded by playful paganism across the island. Not consistently scary but good at building discomfort. The subtext elevates this and it built to a satisfying ending. It would fall short of my personal Top 100 but was worth the watch. Grade B

5th - I Saw the TV Glow (Max) Bear with me on this one. I liked the beginning of this one. I liked the main character and his family dynamic as well as his developing friendship with the class outcast, and the concept had potential. But that promising concept just didn't lead to actual scares, or even a sense of eerieness. It's not a bad movie and I certainly can appreciate arthouse horror, but for those looking for October-style scares, you're better off looking elsewhere. Grade D+

2nd - Wind Chill (Tubi) Grade C.
3rd - Oddity (AMC+/Shudder) Grade A+

4th - The Wicker Man (1973) (Freevee) At 63rd, this was the highest placer from the Top 200 list that I hadn't seen, so I sought to rectify that. This definitely has a 1970's feel, which is not a criticism. I liked the juxtaposition of the staunchly religious investigator surrounded by playful paganism across the island. Not consistently scary but good at building discomfort. The subtext elevates this and it built to a satisfying ending. It would fall short of my personal Top 100 but was worth the watch. Grade B

5th - I Saw the TV Glow (Max) Bear with me on this one. I liked the beginning of this one. I liked the main character and his family dynamic as well as his developing friendship with the class outcast, and the concept had potential. But that promising concept just didn't lead to actual scares, or even a sense of eerieness. It's not a bad movie and I certainly can appreciate arthouse horror, but for those looking for October-style scares, you're better off looking elsewhere. Grade D+
I liked The Wicker Man slightly better than you did, but I agree on both of these.

I am up to 4 on the month:

The Fog ('80): I didn't like this one much at all. It got better at the end, but I was wasn't having annoying DJ lady and the weird hook up with JLC and the old guy. 4/10 - more for the Carpenter completionists.

In A Violent Nature ('24): I hope @The Gator knows I am joking. I echo what WVU posted above and was going to post be careful what you wish for. Yes, it sounds like an interesting premise of doing the slasher in a killer POV. Then after watching them walk through the woods for 5 mins while you miss the teens partying and getting naked, you start to question at least the execution of this idea. 3/10 - Just find a clip on youtube of the 2-3 decent kills.

Backcountry ('15): This one I liked a lot. I am not a camping/outdoor person, so this movie was pretty much my nightmare, and it freaked me out. 8/10 - It might have been higher, but it did lose a bit of steam at the end for me.

Frankenstein ('31): The plan was to get through Bride last night too, but it wasn't meant to be. This is one that I underestimate. I think of the camp instead of the creepy and touching parts. 8/10

So far this month;

New to me-

Fright Night - 8/10, Started out more light hearted than i thought, then got into it. Fun for sure

Hush- 8/10, Really enjoyed how they built tension here, love the lead actress too.

Oddity- 8/10, One of the better jump scares imo, my wife almost fell off the couch :lol:

The Invitation (2015)- 7/10, Slow build of anxiety during a dinner party with a group of old friends

Rewatches-

Evil Dead Rise
Shawn of the Dead
The Thing

Last edited:
VHS Beyond. 6 more short films. This is a better collection than most of the recent VHS films. This might be the best since the third one.

Stork: 5.5/10 - We've seen this kind of zombie-ish plot before. Good effects and I guess it's a bit of a unique ending.

Dream Girl: 7/10 - Great effects. The Bollywood music video was really good and draws you in before the mayhem. This left me wanting more. Too much flashing lights and strobing though.

Live and Let Dive: 7/10 - Finally a unique premise. Alien encounter while skydiving. Ok why not. The alien was super creepy. Great short.

Fur Babies: 7/10. Immediately reminded me of Tusk in a good way. Then I saw Justin Long made this one. :lmao:

Stowaway: 7.5/10 - This was a pretty cool vision of the inside of an alien ship. I only wish we could see this in better than VHS quality recording. Then it gets dark really quick. Really creative take on an alien "abduction". Directed and written by Mike Flanagan and Kate Siegel.

I watched V/H/S last night -- I had seen it before, but it was a long time ago, and I barely remembered this one. I had forgotten how gruesome this movie was. The shorts were a little uneven, but that's to be expected for an anthology. Fun watch.

I'll probably watch the sequel tonight, and maybe Oddity too. My wife is out of town this evening so I'm on my own and might as well do a double-feature.

Stork: 5.5/10 - We've seen this kind of zombie-ish plot before. Good effects and I guess it's a bit of a unique ending.

Live and Let Dive: 7/10 - Finally a unique premise. Alien encounter while skydiving. Ok why not. The alien was super creepy. Great short.

Fur Babies: 7/10. Immediately reminded me of Tusk in a good way. Then I saw Justin Long made this one. :lmao:

Stowaway: 7.5/10 - This was a pretty cool vision of the inside of an alien ship. I only wish we could see this in better than VHS quality recording. Then it gets dark really quick. Really creative take on an alien "abduction". Directed and written by Mike Flanagan and Kate Siegel.
EDIT: Oh, I get it - these are the shorts inside the VHS movie. Duh.

Also, https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0374358/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1 wtf?

Started watching Legend of Hill House with my wife, 6 episodes in. Really good so far,hope the payoff is good .
Viking Wolf- Swedish take on werewolves. Low budget special effects and a story you've seen many times before but still kinda liked it.
Escape Room- This was better than expected. Kind of like Cube but with group puzzles
Legend of Hill House - now through 8 episodes and it's getting even better
Was going to watch Escape Room2 but couldn't find a free option.
4) The Menu- really good slow burn with great performances by Fiennes and AT-J. More thriller than horror but classified as a comedy. 7/10

Started watching Legend of Hill House with my wife, 6 episodes in. Really good so far,hope the payoff is good .
Viking Wolf- Swedish take on werewolves. Low budget special effects and a story you've seen many times before but still kinda liked it.
Escape Room- This was better than expected. Kind of like Cube but with group puzzles
Legend of Hill House - now through 8 episodes and it's getting even better
Was going to watch Escape Room2 but couldn't find a free option.
4) The Menu- really good slow burn with great performances by Fiennes and AT-J. More thriller than horror but classified as a comedy. 7/10
Menu was such a pleasant surprise - I really liked it. I think it's great that they hired someone from a culinary show to film the presentations of the dishes.

Watched the new Salem's Lot tonight. It's received some bad press but I enjoyed it. Had that early 80s horror film vibe.
Thought it was reasonably enjoyable, and a couple of sequences were very well done (hospital & burial scenes stood out for me, both were terrific in the book). For me the issue was the novel is great at making you care for these richly developed characters, the movie doesn't even really make an attempt so when someone dies it's basically a shrug. Plus the story felt a bit rushed with no time to breathe. But overall was fine.

The Invitation (2015) (Peacock): IMDB 6.6. A guy's ex-wife invites him and their old friend group over for dinner after disappearing for 2 years after their son died and they divorced. Things seem off to the guy, but the dinner is in their old house and he's having lots of memories, so he's not sure if it's just his grief making him feel uneasy. Meh, this wasn't poorly made or anything, acting was good... but don't go out of your way to see it.

It was slow, and not really all that scary - just a little unsettling until it exploded, which really wasn't that big of an explosion. The final scene implying that this cult somehow had convinced an entire neighborhood to host death parties was incredibly stupid.

I really liked the atmosphere of this one, unsettling and unspoken tension just under the surface until things get weird.
Ditto. I really dig slow developing movies anyway, so this was in my wheelhouse. Built great tension and unease imo.

I just rewatched Tusk and my reaction was the same as when I first saw it.

It’s equal parts “That was the most unique horror movie I’ve seen in a while” and “Why the **** did this movie get made?”

Users who are viewing this thread