What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

First album you ever bought. (1 Viewer)

simey said:
The Partridge Family - Up to Date (Vinyl)
When my brother and I were about 8-9 (he's a year older than me) we pooled our loose change and bought the Partridge Family album called "Shopping Bag."  It actually had a plastic shopping bag inside the album.  This would be 1971ish.  

The first purchase entirely on my own was as a 12 -year old in 1975, purchasing Elton John's Greatest Hits.  

When my brother and I were about 8-9 (he's a year older than me) we pooled our loose change and bought the Partridge Family album called "Shopping Bag."  It actually had a plastic shopping bag inside the album.  This would be 1971ish.  

The first purchase entirely on my own was as a 12 -year old in 1975, purchasing Elton John's Greatest Hits.  
Not sure if many here know or remember, the '72 Alice Cooper album "School's Out" looked like a carved up school deck and the top even lifted like an old school deck ...inside was a pair of girl's panties (was made out of a thin, "handi-wipe" type material).  It was pretty cool.  

I always loved how the sleeves to the 45's had their own art, instead of it always just being a smaller version of the art from the studio album. 

Van Halen - 1984.  I was in a KMart with my aunt.  She looked at the smoking baby and questioned if my mom would be ok with that type of album.  "Of course!"

Not too long after, I tried to have my mom buy me Crüe - Shout at the Devil.  She said no before I even finished asking the question.

Can't remember the first album I bought. 

Might have been Jim Croce or Captain fantastic and the brown dirt cowboy.

My first album was given to me by my uncle at Xmas. T Rex.  Bang a Gong.

Had a lot of 45s before that.  Can't remember the first one.  Last one was Drift Away by Dobie Gray.

I did a lot of back breaking work to save up enough to buy the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack.  Played that thing like it was my job.

It was also the album that taught me what a hot car does to vinyl 

I think my first album was Yes 90125 and I once met Alan White and he autographed that album for me when I met him at a drum clinic he put on back in the 80's, when I went off to college my Mom threw it out along with my baseball card collection. . . thanks Mom! :)

I think my first cassette tapes were Dokken Tooth and Nail, Ratt Out of the Cellar and Night Ranger Dawn Patrol or something like that.  I remember I bought three or four tapes.

I was in college when CD's came out, I'm 99% sure that Rush Roll the Bones / Steely Dan Greatest Hits / Rush Fly By Night were the first few CD's I bought.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don’t remember exact first but in the day of tapes and hair bands Motley Crue Dr Feelgood and Metallica ....And Justice for All were two of the earliest. 

In the day of CD’s in high school Beastie Boys Ill Communication and STP Purple were a couple of the earliest purchases. 

jamny said:
Probably album for most of us, CD for some others.

First one I ever bought was Zeppelin III

My friend had Zeppelin IV and after I heard it I had to have it. I went to the record store and all they had was III, so I bought it.

Still my favorite Zeppelin album.
Tangerine. All time classic. 

As long as we're expanding to other formats.

First LP - Pink Floyd The Wall

First cassette - Rush Signals

First CD - Steve Winwood Back in the High Life

Van Halen - 1984.  I was in a KMart with my aunt.  She looked at the smoking baby and questioned if my mom would be ok with that type of album.  "Of course!"

Not too long after, I tried to have my mom buy me Crüe - Shout at the Devil.  She said no before I even finished asking the question.
I had Shout at the Devil on vinyl. My dad broke it in half after catching "Ten Seconds to Love" from outside my bedroom. 

For someone who loved the Stones, Cream, the Doors... he was pretty uncool right there. 

I think my first cassette tapes were Dokken Tooth and Nail, Ratt Out of the Cellar and Night Ranger Dawn Patrol or something like that.  I remember I bought three or four tapes.
Night Rangers Dawn Patrol was a record I bought myself as a kid.  I remember it was great and I played the crap out of it.  "Don't Tell Me You Love Me" was the opening tune?  I loved the laser beam things on the jacket too.

King Crimson, Court of the Crimson King

then

Band of Gypsys, Jimmy Hendrix

then

Aqualung by Jethro Tull and Nantucket Sleighride by Mountain on the Same day.

then

Its a Beautiful Day and The Great Society, Conspicuous only in its Absence (Grace slick signed it about 20 years ago.  For those who don't know this was the first recording of White Rabbit)

After those there was a flurry of Yes, REO Speedwagon, Dead, Aerosmith, Pink Floyd, Jefferson Airplane, CSN&Y, Buffalo Springfield Dylan, Camel, and the Who.  After that it was Clapton, Zepplin, and Ten Years After which then got me to look into the blues, a rich vein to mine.  Then guitarists like Trower, McLaughlin, Di Meola and back through Traffic and then Hot Tuna to who remembers as interests spread rapidly.

First CD was U2 - Achtung Baby.  First tape before that was probably Bryan Adams - Reckless or something similarly pop-rocky.

First album (vinyl) came much later and was probably Arkells - Jackson Square.

Album - AC/DC - Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap.

Brother and I told my Mom we wanted it for the title track. Little did she know we'd be blasting I'VE GOT BIG BALLS non-stop for the next month.  :headbang:

Van Halen - 1984

Still remember 9 year old me walking down to the record store with my own money all these years later.  Too bad my kids won't have the same memories.  I wonder if in 20 years there will be a thread titled "First song you illegally downloaded"?

Courtjester said:
I am thinking early Kiss. Was a member of the Kiss Army---heck yeah!!

I was also a huge Cheap Trick fan,

I remember one of my first cassettes was Foreigner "4"--cranking Jukebox Hero.....
First album for me ... Destroyer

I have a twin brother so we were each allowed to pick out two which we pooled - Motley Crew - Dr Feel good, Bonjovi - Slippery when wet.  What the heck were we thinking :lmao:  

I'd had people get me albums for gifts (ELO, Billy Joel, Doobie Brothers) when I was a kid and hijacked all the stuff my parents had that I liked (Doors, Elton John). I bought my first albums myself with some of my bar mitzvah money in early '82. There were four:

Jefferson Starship - Modern Times

Rush - Moving Pictures

Tattoo You - Rolling Stones

Ghost In The Machine - The Police

I'll still listen to Find Your Way Back, Stranger, Waiting On A Friend occasionally. 

Ghost In The Machine is still my favorite album of all time.

I think it was Bon Jovi's "New Jersey" because I lived in New Jersey at the time.  I recall wanting to buy Fresh Prince's "He's the DJ, I'm the Rapper" (which would have been my first) but my parents just didn't understand and vetoed that.

ETA: Looking at dates, it may have been INXS's "Kick" instead of Bon Jovi.

3xDope - Original Stylin'

got a cd player for my 8th grade graduation. took some of the cash i got to the record store and bought Original Stylin' on cd. opened the sealed package (had one of those ridiculous giant plastic security devices on it + wrapped in plastic) and inside was a blank CD.. popped it in the deck.... it was a Guess Who album.

Users who are viewing this thread