What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

First down markers (1 Viewer)

Crazy8s

Footballguy
How ACCURATE is the other end when they measure for first downs. When it comes down to inches, I would bet it could come down to where they place the other end of the marker. Is it all by eye? :blackdot: . . . . . . . . . . :goodposting: ================>> firstdownI'm talking about this end of the chains :blackdot:And if its by eye, there has to be a better system. Thanks

It's by eye. The HL marks the line of scrimmage for the chain gang.Are you telling me that you think that all of the yardline markers are perfectly straight.

It's by eye. The HL marks the line of scrimmage for the chain gang.

Are you telling me that you think that all of the yardline markers are perfectly straight.
good point.

there is a round disk that is 'clipped/attached' to one of the links at a specific location. usually it is placed at the end of the 5 yard stripe painted closest to the :blackdot: in your diagram. when the chains are brought out one of the officials places this disk/link at that exact same location on the field of play. this is why you see the referee wait for a short period of time before extending the :goodposting: in your diagramthe chains are not the problem here. the problem (if there is one) would be the linesman who spot the forward progress of the offensive player

there is a round disk that is 'clipped/attached' to one of the links at a specific location. usually it is placed at the end of the 5 yard stripe painted closest to the :blackdot: in your diagram. when the chains are brought out one of the officials places this disk/link at that exact same location on the field of play. this is why you see the referee wait for a short period of time before extending the :goodposting: in your diagram

the chains are not the problem here. the problem (if there is one) would be the linesman who spot the forward progress of the offensive player
Thanks The Law. Thats exactly what I was wondering if there was a system in place. Funny thing is that I am a season ticket holder and I never paid attention to it.AGREED, forward progress spots from the refs are horrible. But I'm sure its tough to keep an eye on at game speed.

Thanks The Law. Thats exactly what I was wondering if there was a system in place. Funny thing is that I am a season ticket holder and I never paid attention to it.

AGREED, forward progress spots from the refs are horrible. But I'm sure its tough to keep an eye on at game speed.
no prob. of course where the chains are placed originally (and where that attached disk is then clipped) are at an officails discretion...lolif you attend a game in person look out for a guy on the home sideline that has on bright orange gloves that extend to his elbows. he's the television rep on the field and he'll let you know when there is going to be a television timeout (he'll hold up one of his arms). this is helpful when timing bathroom trips :thumbup:

if you attend a game in person look out for a guy on the home sideline that has on bright orange gloves that extend to his elbows. he's the television rep on the field and he'll let you know when there is going to be a television timeout (he'll hold up one of his arms). this is helpful when timing bathroom trips
GREAT....best info I ever got on this boards.... :D :D

Users who are viewing this thread