What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Flacco fined $7,500 for a horse collar tackle. (1 Viewer)

treat88

Footballguy
I despise the subjective fine schedule that the league has imposed, but have come to accept it as part of the game.

What consistently frustrates me is the inconsistency with which it is enforced.

Here is the league published schedule that fines are supposedly based upon when imposed.

http://nfllabor.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/2011-league-discipline.pdf

Page 16 clearly shows a 15 k minimum for a horse collar tackle. Yet Flacco only gets 7.5 k despite the clear minimum indicated....

It not my money and it's kind of ticky tack, but I really wish Gooddell and crew would just tell the players the rules and the consequences for breaking them and then call them the way they are told they will be called and enforce the consequences consistently and uniformly.

Last edited by a moderator:
I despise the subjective fine schedule that the league has imposed, but have come to accept it as part of the game.

What consistently frustrates me is the inconsistency with which it is enforced.

Here is the league published schedule that fines are supposedly based upon when imposed.

http://nfllabor.file...-discipline.pdf

Page 16 clearly shows a 15 k minimum for a horse collar tackle. Yet Flacco only gets 15 k despite the clear minimum indicated....

It not my money and it's kind of ticky tack, but I really wish Gooddell and crew would just tell the players the rules and the consequences for breaking them and then call them the way they are told they will be called and enforce the consequences consistently and uniformly.
The league enforcement is beyond ridiculous. Chad Greenaway was penalized 15 yards and fined $ 7500 when he brought down Brandon Pettigrew by the front collar of his jersey. Defensive players should be getting extra money worked into their contracts to pay for the unavoidable BS fines.

According to CBS, it's because he's a first time offender, and that means it's a $7,500 minimum.

A league source tells CBSSports.com that Flacco was a first-time offender, and the minimum fine for first-time offenders is $7,500. While it may have been Polamalu's first fine of the season, he had been fined previously. Flacco had not.
Source: http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22475988/33377804
If you look at the fine schedule the NFL published (link in the OP), 15k is the minimum fine to be imposed for a first time offender making a horse collar tackle.

'Alkahsu said:
That's not as bad as Decker being fined for saluting the Vets on Veteran's Day.
I did not know about this so I did a search and found several stories about it.http://ca.sports.yah...urn=nfl-wp11807

As far as I have read, he was penalized 5 yards but not fined. Apparently, he was penalized for kneeling in the endzone not the salute. It is interesting that it is illegal to take a knee after a TD. I guess this is why Tebow waits until he is on the sidelines before he takes a knee and prays.

The point of the thread is to ask the question, why, even with a written schedule of fines in place does Flacco receive a lesser fine than defensive players called for the same penalty?

All I ask of the league is to be consistent with the way the rules are called and penalized. Whether I agree with those rules or not is an entirely different discussion.

With the written standard of fines in place, why does inconsistency still exist? It seems like there is no room for discussion.

Why are they fining a QB for a tackle at all?

Stupid fine. The 15 yard penalty was enough under the circumstances.

Ignoring hes a first time offender, I would say because he didnt actually tackle the dude. Imo the worst fine ive seen.

Users who are viewing this thread