What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

football tough guys (1 Viewer)

BustedKnuckles

Footballguy
In light of the helmet to helmet hit on Boldin sunday i couldnt help but think how ''normal''that hit would have been years ago...guys prided themselves on hits like that.

"Yes, I get satisfaction out of hitting a guy and seeing him lie there a while."

-- Jack Lambert --

"I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play"

-- Jack Lambert --

I'm not so mean. I wouldn't ever go out to hurt anybody deliberately - unless it was, you know, important, like a league game or something.

**** Butkus

How has pro football changed since your day?

Jones: Well, they protect everybody now. The game is not wide open. What I mean by that, is a lot of the toughness has been chased out of the game. The game has a different philosophy now. It's still good football, and people still enjoy it, and it's popular, and it always will be.

But when you talk eras, you've got to talk rule changes. And the rule changes have really changed the area where I contributed to the game -- cutting back on the pass rushers' ability to get to the quarterback. I don't favor that too much. It's just more of an offensive game now, and everything is about protecting the quarterback.

Deacon Jones

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZrJQsdOcj4...feature=related

You could probably find a few quotes from Chuck Bednarick that would fit this mentality of the older generation pro footballers.

In light of the helmet to helmet hit on Boldin sunday i couldnt help but think how ''normal''that hit would have been years ago...guys prided themselves on hits like that.

"Yes, I get satisfaction out of hitting a guy and seeing him lie there a while."

-- Jack Lambert --

"I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play"

-- Jack Lambert --

I'm not so mean. I wouldn't ever go out to hurt anybody deliberately - unless it was, you know, important, like a league game or something.

**** Butkus

Jones: Well, they protect everybody now. The game is not wide open. What I mean by that, is a lot of the toughness has been chased out of the game. The game has a different philosophy now. It's still good football, and people still enjoy it, and it's popular, and it always will be.

But when you talk eras, you've got to talk rule changes. And the rule changes have really changed the area where I contributed to the game -- cutting back on the pass rushers' ability to get to the quarterback. I don't favor that too much. It's just more of an offensive game now, and everything is about protecting the quarterback.

Deacon Jones

Except that years ago the players were not as big , fast and strong like todays players . So a hit like that 15 years ago and the guy is up in a second .Nothing against Butkus and Lambert but in the shape they were they would not even make a NFL team today .

-- Jack Lambert --

-- Jack Lambert --

**** Butkus

Deacon Jones

Except that years ago the players were not as big , fast and strong like todays players . So a hit like that 15 years ago and the guy is up in a second .Nothing against Butkus and Lambert but in the shape they were they would not even make a NFL team today .
:blackdot: Do you really believe that? lol

-- Jack Lambert --

-- Jack Lambert --

**** Butkus

Deacon Jones

LMAO...those guys back then were as tough as nails...what they lacked in bulk they made up in there hard play...mean and viscous as they were most of the high paid cupcakes playing now would run off the field fearing for there lives

IMO, the single biggest reason for the serious injuries is, ironically, from the protection itself - the helmet.

Helmets today do two things, both which actually contribute to many of the injuries we see today...

(1) They protect the head so much, that players can hit much, much harder than in the ol' rough days. The fact is, before facemasks, or these hard shelled uber protective caps, if you laid out a guy like the Boldin hit, you'd be knocked unconcious yourself - or worse.

(2) As mentioned, these are HARD shelled helmets. When a very hard surface that weighs as much as a helmet (and head) hit skin and bone at these impacts, the metal wins.

Because of both the above, helmets have gone beyond protection and into the realm of weapon. I am surprised you don't see MORE injuries because of the helmet nowadays.

Personally, nothing hurt more than a helmet to the arms, or face mask to a knee - and this is HS or college ball - not NFL speed play.

I think that the biggest change, in essence, is that they've civilized the game a bit. Yes, back in the day this was a very violent and volatile game. It also crippled and lessened the life-span of players. Gotta have the product of the game on the field to deliver the product itself. Not to take away from the players of the previous eras, but the product today is "pure" athletes. Grunt without the gurth in some cases.

It's more of a business today. It used to be "just a game."

There are still tough guys (Barber, etc.), just in a different fashion.

Users who are viewing this thread