What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

For an overall grade, where would you rate the FOX News for Left - Right Bias & Accuracy/Reliability (1 Viewer)

For an overall grade, where would you rate the FOX News for Accuracy/Reliability

• Total voters

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
We've talked in the past about the media bias charts. I think they're interesting. 

I had a real conversation recently on this and wanted to do our own here and see what the forum thought.

For an overall grade, where would you rate FOX News for:

Left - Right bias

and

Accuracy/Reliability

Note: The question is for overall. That includes everything Regular Reporting, Op-Ed, Ads they run or causes they're associated with. It's the overall grade. 

Added Important note: I still am interested in your vote even if you don't feel like you have an informed opinion. I am interested in how these publications are PERCEIVED. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Fox News is the one that I have the hardest time separating their opinion shows from their straight news.  I know their news reporting is generally considered okay, but their primetime lineup should count for a lot here IMO.

Taking both news and opinion shows as a whole, I voted very inaccurate. They're own lawyers have argued in court you can't trust the opinion shows as factual.

Opposite of CNN and NYT.  Mostly right...but also in the slightly accurate area.  Opinion shows are to be avoided.

No vote, as I've never watched them nor do I read their website articles.

My perception of FOXNews is that they lean very right and that they are slightly inaccurate/unreliable. Thus, they are a waste of my time as is CNN, MSNBC and various others.

I don't need to hear/read anything that reinforces my inherent biases. I need the unfettered truth. I'll go to Reuters or BBC and occasionally AP for my news, thank you.

There was a then-infamous Pitchfork review of a Jet (the Aussie band) song that I wanted to post here, but I didn't want to incur the wrath of the moderators or Joe. 

I voted before reading the post. I was considering the channel and website as separate. FWIW, I think the website is more accurate and less overtly biased than the channel.

Fox News is the one that I have the hardest time separating their opinion shows from their straight news.  I know their news reporting is generally considered okay, but their primetime lineup should count for a lot here IMO.
Agreed, think the poll needs to separate the "opinion" shows vs news reporting

Merge the Fox and CNN polls and query which is more extreme and which is more inaccurate.

Guess which way I'd vote.... (hint: Tucker Carlson is inbred).

Again....going by what I knew of them 7+ years ago....mostly right and neutral.  Another channel I had no idea they had a "just the news" segment.  Is it on between 1am and 110 am or something?

Amused to Death said:
Taking both news and opinion shows as a whole, I voted very inaccurate. They're own lawyers have argued in court you can't trust the opinion shows as factual.
https://www.npr.org/2020/09/29/917747123/you-literally-cant-believe-the-facts-tucker-carlson-tells-you-so-say-fox-s-lawye

Just read U.S. District Judge Mary Kay Vyskocil's opinion, leaning heavily on the arguments of Fox's lawyers: The "'general tenor' of the show should then inform a viewer that [Carlson] is not 'stating actual facts' about the topics he discusses and is instead engaging in 'exaggeration' and 'non-literal commentary.' " She wrote: "Fox persuasively argues, that given Mr. Carlson's reputation, any reasonable viewer 'arrive with an appropriate amount of skepticism' about the statement he makes."

The question I have is why are people getting their news from the opinion shows (no matter what show or channel)?

The problem is that when we're talking about right-leaning outlets, the liberals WON'T separate the opinion shows from the news shows and will rate accordingly. When we're talking about left-leaning outlets (i.e. NY Times thread), then those same liberals most definitely separate the opinions from the actual news and rate it accordingly.

and vice-versa.

The problem is that when we're talking about right-leaning outlets, the liberals WON'T separate the opinion shows from the news shows and will rate accordingly. When we're talking about left-leaning outlets (i.e. NY Times thread), then those same liberals most definitely separate the opinions from the actual news and rate it accordingly.

and vice-versa.
I'm not getting my news from their opinion shows. I voted according to Joe's description of the poll.

Note: The question is for overall. That includes everything Regular Reporting, Op-Ed, Ads they run or causes they're associated with. It's the overall grade. 

I'm not getting my news from their opinion shows. I voted according to Joe's description of the poll.

Yes, the real problem with right-leaning news shows is nothing to do with liberals, it's that conservatives would LOVE to be able to completely separate themselves from the indefensible. 

The complete and totally indefensible.  

and vice-versa.
To be fair, the same has applied to rating CNN based on Lemon and other shows.  

Very right; mostly accurate. 

I don’t watch Fox very much but I have no reason not to trust their news reporting. 

and vice-versa.
I separate both. 

I voted using the same criteria as you.  Both tv channels pander to their audience (marketing matters).  

The question I have is why are people getting their news from the opinion shows (no matter what show or channel)?

I think this is a good question. My take is it seems like things have morphed from the normal news anchor reading the stories to a "show" where a personality talks about the news. 

Sports did the same thing. It used to be Stuart Scott on Sportcenter. The most he'd add was a fun "booyah" to a home run highlight. That morphed to Stephen A Smith who added way more of his own takes. 

They both sell ads which is really all any of this is trying to do. 

Old timers can remember reading the Op/Ed columns toward the back of the first section of the newspaper. It was very clear these were opinions as it was in the title of op/ed. It was easy to tell because they were physically in a different spot in the paper. 

Now with video and TV, it's less clear. But it is interesting.

I think this is a good question. My take is it seems like things have morphed from the normal news anchor reading the stories to a "show" where a personality talks about the news. 

Sports did the same thing. It used to be Stuart Scott on Sportcenter. The most he'd add was a fun "booyah" to a home run highlight. That morphed to Stephen A Smithth who added way more of his own takes. 

They both sell ads which is really all any of this is trying to do. 

Old timers can remember reading the Op/Ed columns toward the back of the first section of the newspaper. It was very clear these were opinions as it was in the title of op/ed. It was easy to tell because they were physically in a different spot in the paper. 

Now with video and TV, it's less clear. But it is interesting.
Does the Headline News channel even have news anymore?   The last few times I turned it on, there were crime documentaries.  I guess fewer people want to sit down and actually dedicate 30 minutes to news

I trust some opinion shows CNN’s Fareed Zaharia’s opinion show to have accurate information, but certainly not Trucker Carlson.

IvanKaramazov said:
I feel the same way. I voted “very right” and “slightly accurate” but I really struggled with the accuracy side of things because while I find their news reporting to be very accurate, their prime time lineup is extremely unreliable, but also draws the most viewers. Maybe I’m giving too much weight to the news side of the equation

Users who are viewing this thread