What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Fred Taylor goes to New England (1 Viewer)

Fraud or DD for me. And I am running Pats D on top of it. I guess I would rather lose with my boy Fraud then to play DD and watch him do nothing. It will take something big for me to bench Fraud, and a huge snowstorm may just be enough!

im starting t jones over taylor... lets revive this thread sunday.
Is it possible that Jones will outscore Taylor this week? Of course it is. Hell, he outscored Taylor, Holmes, LT, and Jamal Lewis back in Week 11.Does that mean it's ever a good idea to start a scrub like Tom Jones over a stud like Taylor based on a match-up? Of course not . . .

So GBS, according to you, Freddy will get 5 fantasy points (40 yards rushing, 10 receiving, and 0 TDs). I'll stick my neck out there and say he has at least double that. I can't wait to see your apology for your lowball prediction on Monday.

So GBS, according to you, Freddy will get 5 fantasy points (40 yards rushing, 10 receiving, and 0 TDs). I'll stick my neck out there and say he has at least double that. I can't wait to see your apology for your lowball prediction on Monday.
I suspect GBS is attempting a reverse jinx. I've noticed this tendency before . . .

I am going Barlow over Taylor. Given the low temps I just hope Taylor doesn't gimp up so I have him for the superbowl

I'm actually considering benching him for Barber. It will give me something to torment my mind with between now and Sunday.
I am in the same boat, plus I could also start Westbrook too. RW is my #1 and have generally started Taylor as my #2, but this week I just don't know. I will probably end up going with FT just because I hate going against what has worked all year. If the weather is bad, at least Jax will keep trying to run even if they are unsuccessful. Or at least that is how I am justifying it. :confused:

i think barlow over taylor is a slam dunk. barlow w/o hearst is a bonafide stud.i am playing the owner of portis, deuce, henry. i have to take risks. IF tampa dominates, jones could get 2 TDs of the 1 yard variety and they will run the ball for the whole 2nd half. i just dont see fred taylor going off - he has only broken thru against SD, HOU, and IND - weak run Ds in good weather (at home) - like i said, thisll be a good one to review come sunday night.

I'll start Fred, but my only other choice for that slot is Rudi Johnson...or Reggie Wayne. On the other hand, I have NE's defense so I will do ok if they totally shut him down.

Let's face it, at this point, the semis for most, it's an anxious time. No trades. Waiver wires are dirt poor. It's a time for heightened anxiety. You got Fred....ya play him....and what happens happens! At least most of you are not playing an opponent like mine with Clinton and Priest. C'mon Freddie and Jamal. Kick their azzes!I don't bet $$ any longer, but if I wagered on fav NE, I flat out could promise Fred would blow up and Jax would win. :rolleyes:Dat's today's NFL.And Gotta...."Fred Taylor is a horrible start ." It's all relative. My next in line is Pitt-man or should I say Split-man (With T. Jones).

Last edited by a moderator:
For those of you hoping to get a TD out of Fred, I wouldn't hold your breath. The Pats have allowed only 9 points in their last 4 home games and no TDs.

Week 14 vs. Miami: 12-0

Week 11 vs. Dallas: 12-0

Week 8 vs. Cleveland: 9-3

Week 6 vs. NY Giants: 17-6

:football:
Look at those offenses though...Jax's offense isn't anything special, but its not like they are shutting down Colts or the Vikes.

For those of you hoping to get a TD out of Fred, I wouldn't hold your breath. The Pats have allowed only 9 points in their last 4 home games and no TDs.

Week 14 vs. Miami: 12-0

Week 11 vs. Dallas: 12-0

Week 8 vs. Cleveland: 9-3

Week 6 vs. NY Giants: 17-6

:football:
Look at those offenses though...Jax's offense isn't anything special, but its not like they are shutting down Colts or the Vikes.
Certainly none of them have a back as good as Taylor.

agian i repeat fred taylor will have a horrible day the bigger this thread gets the crappier day he will have30 rushing yards2 recpt for 15 yards 0 total td's

The trick is deciding, given things like match-ups, who is equal to or better than Fred this week.

People have thrown some names out and here is my opinion on them...

Start i/o Taylor

Bettis

Edge

Bennett (if starting)

Barlow

Start Taylor

Moe

K Faulk

Shipp

Hambrick

Duckett

A Thomas

Flip a Coin

Barber (Giants are a disaster but he should be the focus)

Dillon (Hasn't done much all year - gonna bust out?)

T Jones (Seems to be the Man now and Hou is Bad)

Thoughts??
For the most part I think you are right on. Biggest disagreement would probably be A-Train. With the Bears starting Grossman, combined with the Vikes pukey run D- I would expect Thomas to have a good game. :thumbup:

Ok, you guys convinced me. I am starting Barlow and Henry. I am benching F.Taylor and T.Jones. If I am wrong, I will be back to yell at you guys on Sunday. :o

I'm starting Barlow and Duckett over F Taylor. Barlow's going to go off, Duckett is a good risk to take. I'm also benching Dom Davis.Pats are gonna put the locks down on Freddy, 70% chance of precip.

Just curious, I didnt count, but it seems like you've posted gloom and doom in this thread like 50 times; is your opponent starting Fred this week, or what?
GBS owns Taylor and is looking for the reverse jinx.

With the Bears starting Grossman, combined with the Vikes pukey run D- I would expect Thomas to have a good game
I think this is the biggest fallacy around this thread - that starting a young, inexperienced QB is somehow good for the RB b/c the team will be relying on him.It almost never works out that way unless the RB is ultra-talented and the offense is built around the runner. What happens (and what will happen in Soldier Field) is the defense stacks the line to stop the runner, and forces the young QB to drop back and take some shots from the DLs. Unless A-Train barrels through the line for a 50+ yard TD run, like he did versus GB early in the year, he will have a 20 carry, 45 yard type of day.

I'm pretty much stuck with Taylor. Only other options would be Burress, Booker, Boston, or Hambrick. Between lousy production so far and questionable QB play, I don't feel comfortable starting any of those 4 over Taylor.

I am curious what y'all would project Thomas Jones to do against Houston? He is my alternative to Taylor, but I am having a hard time projecting what the TB offense will do one game to the next.I am afraid that I think Taylor is probably only good for about 90 combined yards with about a 35% of seeing the endzone.

Got to like Freddy T's confidence:

Jaguars notebook: Patriots' rush defense doesn't worry Taylor

By VITO STELLINO

The Times-Union

http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stor..._14283826.shtml

Running back Fred Taylor doesn't seem concerned that the New England Patriots held Miami's Ricky Williams to 68 yards last Sunday on 25 carries, including just 8 yards on his first seven rushes.

"Ricky is Ricky. Fred is Fred. Two different backs. Two different people, two different running styles," he said as he prepared Thursday for Sunday's game in New England.

"Every team is vulnerable, even our mighty No.2-ranked rush defense. Sometimes I sit on the sidelines and say, 'Man, I wish I could play against our defense.' It's a challenge. It's all about challenge. Tennessee is ranked No.1 [against the rush] and I've already said they're overrated," he said.

Taylor, who gave his offensive line travel bags this week to thank them for their efforts, said it's not about the yards, it's about the victories.

Taylor only needs 16 yards to reach the 6,000-yard career mark, but he said that's not important to him. He's rushed for 1,200 yards this year and he gets a $140,000 bonus for reaching 1,300 and for each 100 yards after that. If he reaches 1,600, it's $200,000 for every 100.

He's earned a $40,000 bonus per game for each of the first 13 games and he's also earned an extra $420,000 for reaching 1,200 yards.

"I know what's at stake," Taylor said. "My job is to keep rolling."

Chance of snow for game

The weather today in the Boston area is supposed to be 43 and sunny.

But by Sunday, the forecast is for a drop of 10 degrees to 33 with a 30 percent chance of snow.

The Patriots are 12-2 at home since 1993 in weather under 35 degrees while the Jaguars are 2-5 in their history in weather under 36 degree

Despite all the dire warnings, I've still got Freddy in the lineup ahead of Tiki. I'm also forced to start Tom Brady, and I'm facing the Patriot defense. This could be a lose-lose-lose situation for me if the game ends 3-0.

For what it's worth (considering that weather forecasts are often little more than worthless), weather.com is reporting that snow showers should hold off until the end of the game.

re: FredT incentive - two seasons with no injury, big incentive bonuses, fresh start with a young team next year, a coach that wants to feed him the ball and confidence galore - FredT should be a first round pick next year. I know that if I am out of the running for the top dogs, I'll feel comfortable heading into battle with FredT and another decent RB as my starting corps.Re: predictions for this weekend - GBSweet - you are cracking me up in this thread.Re: other options - while FredT may not be have the best matchup, benching him for a lesser back is not advised - ATrani and Thomas Jones both have favorable "matchups" but they are not in as favorable SITUATIONS.I would consider Barlow over FredT, and maybe Tiki (though there is too much inconsistency from the Giants' squad right now), but how you could bench FredT for TJones or ATrain is WAY beyond me.

Well surely it is a Fred Taylor thread that discusses whether to bench him in favor of other options such as Barber, Jones, etc.I dutifully provided a projection for Taylor earlier. But I am really at a loss to estimate how well Jones will do and since he has been mentioned in something like a dozen posts in this thread, I thought some "benchmarking" might be in order.

Well surely it is a Fred Taylor thread that discusses whether to bench him in favor of other options such as Barber, Jones, etc.I dutifully provided a projection for Taylor earlier. But I am really at a loss to estimate how well Jones will do and since he has been mentioned in something like a dozen posts in this thread, I thought some "benchmarking" might be in order.
Here's the only relevant "bench"mark - bench a stud like Taylor for Thomas Jones at your own peril.

I would just like to state for the record that I am so happy to see so many sharks considering benching Fred Taylor this weekend.I am playing against him and have a very vested interest in seeing him go for GottaBeSweet numbers.However, that does not distract from my objectivity regarding how FF decisions should be made - 20/20 hindsight will tell you whether or not to bench Fred Taylor, but none of us are prescient. Most of you will have to go in opposition to the primary rule of fantasy of don't bench your studs in deciding to play Tiki, A-train, TJones, etc. over FredT.I said it before: replace Fred Taylor with Priest Holmes, Clinton Portis or Deuce McCallister going into New England. If you would play those guys anyway, then you HAVE TO also play Fred Taylor.

I'm pretty much stuck with Taylor. Only other options would be Burress, Booker, Boston, or Hambrick. Between lousy production so far and questionable QB play, I don't feel comfortable starting any of those 4 over Taylor.
Hambrick got 2 tds and 100 yds against the Skins last time they played.Since that game his production has dropped against Buff, Pats, Carolina, Miami and Philly: all tough run defenses. I think he'll out produce Taylor this week.

Hambrick got 2 tds and 100 yds against the Skins last time they played.Since that game his production has dropped against Buff, Pats, Carolina, Miami and Philly: all tough run defenses. I think he'll out produce Taylor this week.
Or Richie Anderson will. Or Bickerstaff will. Or Cason will.There is no good fantasy football reason beyond a "hunch" for benchig Fred Taylor for Troy Hambrick. Hambrick is in a RBBC. Past performance versus a team is not a good indicator of future performance in the same season. Fred Taylor i s guaranteed to touch the ball at least 30 times, Hambrick is not guaranteed of seeing the ball more than 15 times, esp. with RAnderson getting all the receptions. Fred Taylor is a significantly better running back than Hanbrick, and he has th econfidence of his coach to get the ball even when playing poorly. The only thing Hanmbrick has in his favor is the matchup.Talent, Opportunity, and Matchup are equal considerations in deciding starters, and Hambrick loses big time in the first two.

I said it before: replace Fred Taylor with Priest Holmes, Clinton Portis or Deuce McCallister going into New England. If you would play those guys anyway, then you HAVE TO also play Fred Taylor.
i have to respectfully disagree with mentioning fred in the sentence as those 3. i submit:priest: only 3 games below 19.7 in standard scoringdeuce: more than half of his games above 17.2portis: more than half of his games above 18.8FRED: only 3 games above 14.4, all at home, all against weak run Ds(SD, IND,HOU)with the other 3, the likeliness of a top 5 or 6 RB game for the week is more than 50%. with fred it is less than 25% and there are specific factors that are in common in all 3.thomas jones has had either a TD or over 100 total yards in the last 4 weeks, and gruden is getting more confident in his abilities to carry the load. houston has been getting worse and worse against the run every week, allowing rushing TDs and/or 100 yard rushers every week in the last 5, and their D is getting more banged up by the day.lastly, when you visualize how these games will go, all signs point to NE controlling the game and forcing leftwich to make plays, and TB controlling the game and basically running for the whole 2nd half. i may balk and fall back on the never bench your studs rule, but my gut tells me that jones will have a good day and freddy will not. honestly this has been one of the toughest decision i have ever had to make as a FF player. i should add again that my opponent has deuce, portis, and henry, so i really have to go for the home run here - if he had a more reasonable set of backs, i would just go with taylor.should be fun to see what happens. loving the spirited discussion, to me this thread represents this board at its best.

Bloom - EXCELLENT retort. I won't even try to contradict your points regarding Priest, Deuce, Portis.I will only stand by my most important point: Talent. Opportunity. Matchup.If you factor these things equally and come out in favor of Thomas Jones, more power to you. I agree with you that Gruden will be giving TJones more of a shot than Pittman, since Pittman is unlikely to be with the team next year (remember, Pitt is almost guaranteed of serving some jail time come January), but Pitt will see the field, and he will get most of the receptions from the RB position.However, I point to Fred Taylor's opportunities - he will get 30 touches on Sunday, for sure, regardless of the score, weather, or anything. I also point to Fred Taylor's talent - he has risen above the rest of the backs, though, as you note well, not to the level of Portis/Priest/Deuce. As someone else pointed out, the weather is not the major factor b/c FredT is a one-cut back, and he knows when he'll cut, but the defenders do not. Fred Taylor has the worst matchup of any running back playing on Sunday, and that seems to be many people's overriding consideration. Just know that you are making a matchup choice. and don't try justifying your alternative as a "better" option for any reason other than New England's D (esp. keeping in mind that bad weather seems, to me, to favor the running game).

not to turn this into a thomas jones thread, but here's gruden's comments on him this week:"I'm very pleased with Thomas Jones right now. It's something we were looking for -- a spark in the running game. We started Thomas, we finished with Thomas Jones. I thought he ran hard, showed good elusiveness, caught the ball, had good power, moved the pile, and I thought played very, very well for us. "We're going to see a little bit more of Thomas Jones. Again, I don't want to diminish what Mike Pittman has done this year, rushing and receiving. We've got two good halfbacks we feel strongly about. Obviously Thomas Jones is a guy who is very intriguing -- he's got great quickness and suddenness, and hopefully he can continue to improve throughout the rest of this season and take that into next season." i read that to mean that the last 3 games of the year is an audition for jones as the feature back, something that tampa hasnt really tried in their pass first offense...

Users who are viewing this thread