What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Friday Night Lights (2 Viewers)

Finally got around to watching it. Great show but it really dragged after season 3 (I didn't care too much about the story lines).

Top 5 show.
If its not, its darn close. Some really great characters in that show. One of the few shows that I really was sad to see come to an end.
1. I try and tell people that its not about football but about people. 2. Tim may be the best tv character ever. Not sure who Taylor klitcje's agent is, but he sucks. Dude should be a star.
Mrs. Coach is the perfect woman.
The perfect woman doesn't stay behind when you take a new job, which you then have to quit and return to your old job (where you're forced out the next year) because she's pregnant.

So, just finsihed season 1, popped in season 2 and watched the first episode. Um, WTF? Is this even the same show? I know it's always a little jarring watching seasons on DVD when there was really a 9+ month time difference in reality, but this is just weird. It's like the bizarro Wire, where Season 2 switched to the docks, only FNL switched to a bad parody of The OC. :confused:
The entire series was jarring between seasons because there was huge storylines they just forgot about the following season. Very aggravating and one of the things that keep me from rating the show a 10/10.

I disagree. Season 2 has it's low points, and it's by far the worst season. But it also has it's moments as well. I loved the whole Riggs as DJ thing. Also enjoyed Matt's tasty little Latin housekeeper.
I'm not understanding the hate for S2, it was far superior to 4 and 5 to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just started it all from the beginning. What an awesome first episode. Really forgot how good it all began. Amazon Prime has it for free for those who haven't caught it yet.

Just started it all from the beginning. What an awesome first episode. Really forgot how good it all began. Amazon Prime has it for free for those who haven't caught it yet.
:thumbup:

Been watching from the beginning again on Pivot. Season one really is some awesome TV. :thumbup:

Landry owns every scene he is in.

I never watched this back in the day but watched the first four episodes last night. Very strong pilot. Not sure how they can keep this up for multiple seasons tho...

Top 5 show.
If its not, its darn close. Some really great characters in that show. One of the few shows that I really was sad to see come to an end.
1. I try and tell people that its not about football but about people. 2. Tim may be the best tv character ever. Not sure who Taylor klitcje's agent is, but he sucks. Dude should be a star.
The perfect woman doesn't stay behind when you take a new job, which you then have to quit and return to your old job (where you're forced out the next year) because she's pregnant.
I actually can't stand Mrs. Coach. I like looking at her boobies, but I dislike her character. She convinced coach that they had to stay behind in Dillon when he got the TMU job, yet throws a hissy fit when he doesn't want to move for her job.

Top 5 show.
I actually can't stand Mrs. Coach. I like looking at her boobies, but I dislike her character. She convinced coach that they had to stay behind in Dillon when he got the TMU job, yet throws a hissy fit when he doesn't want to move for her job.
I guess you missed the part where she revealed that she had gone along with what his career dictated up to that point and it was her turn? Or maybe she should just #### and go get you turkey pot pie?

Top 5 show.
I guess you missed the part where she revealed that she had gone along with what his career dictated up to that point and it was her turn? Or maybe she should just #### and go get you turkey pot pie?
I didnt miss that part at all. In fact that makes it even worse. It shows that she was being passive aggressive the whole time and didnt actually think what she was doing was best for their family. She was only being submissive because she was waiting for her "turn".

She implies that raising their daughter was not very important and not her choice. She simply did it out of obligation.

When you have a family you should make decisions that are best for the family. It isn't about whose turn it is. That is childish behavior. That is keeping score. Any wife that keeps score, sucks.

Top 5 show.
I didnt miss that part at all. In fact that makes it even worse. It shows that she was being passive aggressive the whole time and didnt actually think what she was doing was best for their family. She was only being submissive because she was waiting for her "turn".She implies that raising their daughter was not very important and not her choice. She simply did it out of obligation.

When you have a family you should make decisions that are best for the family. It isn't about whose turn it is. That is childish behavior. That is keeping score. Any wife that keeps score, sucks.
But her cans... :confused:

Their only kid is leaving for college. And what's best for the family is the family being something in the neighborhood of happy. No, it's not childish behavior. It's called living. How much has she put up with so that he could at his little game?

The episode The Son to me is still one of the best performances I've seen. The song that played as he buried his dad was amazing, also you saw his hands actually bleed after hours with a shovel. Amazing, glad it was at least nominated for writing.

Apple Jack said:
Their only kid is leaving for college. And what's best for the family is the family being something in the neighborhood of happy. No, it's not childish behavior. It's called living. How much has she put up with so that he could at his little game?
Except for their other kid.

Apple Jack said:
Except for their other kid.
:lmao:

stupid baby
:lmao:

Forgot about baby Grace. Man, that was an ugly baby.

I still don't see anything even a little off about what Tammy did.

GordonGekko said:
Folks should have known the show was pro feminist when the crippled QB gets cheated on by his best friend and girlfriend and instead of being honest about how that would really play out, they have the wheelchair ex QB get caught kissing another girl to "Make It OK" because the best friend was becoming so popular with the audience and viewers.
Rigs is popular amongst feminists? Wow! I never knew that!

lol you are right its totally unrealistic for a husband to make a decision that helps his wife while sacrificing something. Isn't that like the literal definition of marriage?

So in episode 16 ("Black Eyes and Broken Hearts") when Saracen is trying to get Julie back he makes her a mixed cd. He and Landry go to the cafeteria to give Tyra the cd to give to Julie and Tyra says something like mixed CDs are cheesey and they (Landry/Saracen) should go back to the lab and cook something else up :o

Flash forward 7 years and Todd Landry is cooking meth with Walter White.

lol you are right its totally unrealistic for a husband to make a decision that helps his wife while sacrificing something. Isn't that like the literal definition of marriage?
I know you and apple jack don't really want to listen to what I am saying because you have an agenda, but you are missing the whole point. Mrs. Coach convinced them in season 1 that DIllon was supposed to be their home and she didn't want to move away for the TMU job.She was basically tired of moving and wanted to put down roots and couldnt abandon her job as guidance counselor. Then she was freaking out being there by herself so coach quit his job at TMU and came back to Dillon. Coach eventually gets won over by the town of DIllon and passes on a D1 head coaching job to stay.

Mrs. Coach suddenly sings a different tune when the move would be for her job and brings up how she has been willing to sacrifice so much for his job, even though in reality she pretty much killed coach's entire dream career path.

I disagree. Season 2 has it's low points, and it's by far the worst season. But it also has it's moments as well. I loved the whole Riggs as DJ thing. Also enjoyed Matt's tasty little Latin housekeeper.
I'm not understanding the hate for S2, it was far superior to 4 and 5 to me.
I liked Season 2, but I don't think it's "far superior" to 4 & 5. 4/5 was great, and imo, a pretty big achievement.

They brilliantly cast the first set of HS students, lost some, and turned around and might've cast an even better set. Jordan, Smollett, Lauria, and Burge were phenomenal. Jordan and Smollett, imo, were probably two most talented teenagers from a show that paraded great teen actors.

I know you and apple jack don't really want to listen to what I am saying because you have an agenda, but you are missing the whole point. Mrs. Coach convinced them in season 1 that DIllon was supposed to be their home and she didn't want to move away for the TMU job.She was basically tired of moving and wanted to put down roots and couldnt abandon her job as guidance counselor. Then she was freaking out being there by herself so coach quit his job at TMU and came back to Dillon. Coach eventually gets won over by the town of DIllon and passes on a D1 head coaching job to stay. Mrs. Coach suddenly sings a different tune when the move would be for her job and brings up how she has been willing to sacrifice so much for his job, even though in reality she pretty much killed coach's entire dream career path.
I prefer to think that they spent a year in Philly, then both end up at Penn State.

Season 6 would've ended with T-Tami making the lateral move as Dean of Admissions to PSU, with Coach Taylor being tapped to come in and pull the PSU football program out of the mess.

HS to big-time college football seems like a big jump, but Taylor would've had 3 State Championships by then, at 3 different schools (of course, he'd take Pemberton there). He'd come in as a hero in HS football in both Texas and Pennsylvania. He could recruit like a mad man.

You want a man to turn a program in shambles around? Screw Bill O'Brien. You want Eric Taylor. O'Brien couldn't have turned East Dillon around.

I know you and apple jack don't really want to listen to what I am saying because you have an agenda, but you are missing the whole point. Mrs. Coach convinced them in season 1 that DIllon was supposed to be their home and she didn't want to move away for the TMU job.She was basically tired of moving and wanted to put down roots and couldnt abandon her job as guidance counselor. Then she was freaking out being there by herself so coach quit his job at TMU and came back to Dillon. Coach eventually gets won over by the town of DIllon and passes on a D1 head coaching job to stay.

Mrs. Coach suddenly sings a different tune when the move would be for her job and brings up how she has been willing to sacrifice so much for his job, even though in reality she pretty much killed coach's entire dream career path.
Apples and oranges, imho. A lot changed regarding their standing in Dillon in between these events.

I enjoyed the show while it was on. I really just watched it to listen to the music which I thought was outstanding! I always thought it would have been more popular if they wouldn't have started with the injury to Jason so quick, and kept building the relationship between him and Lyla. Yes, you never know when injuries are going to hit, but you do when you write the script. I thought they did a good job of portraying the main family dynamics of coach wanting to just coach and not wanting have to do all that "family/parent" stuft and Mrs Coach bringing him into the conversations and decisions. Mr. Garrity was a hoot!

It's the cover-up, more than the killing. It was clearly protecting Tyra/self-defense. All they had to do was, um, call the cops. They still could have had storylines about how the incident affected them, their relationship, etc. But all of the convoluted events around hiding everything was dumb.

And the whole season was "off." The lifeguard/90210-like stuff, Lyla's Jesus stuff, Santiago, the maid, the Mexico trip, Riggins/Julie, Mrs. Coach's sister, volleyball, Smash's girlfriend, etc. Just a big swing and a miss from beginning to end.

All that said, I wouldn't recommend anyone skip over it. It wasn't horrible, just a sub-par season for that show.

I know you and apple jack don't really want to listen to what I am saying because you have an agenda, but you are missing the whole point. Mrs. Coach convinced them in season 1 that DIllon was supposed to be their home and she didn't want to move away for the TMU job.She was basically tired of moving and wanted to put down roots and couldnt abandon her job as guidance counselor. Then she was freaking out being there by herself so coach quit his job at TMU and came back to Dillon. Coach eventually gets won over by the town of DIllon and passes on a D1 head coaching job to stay. Mrs. Coach suddenly sings a different tune when the move would be for her job and brings up how she has been willing to sacrifice so much for his job, even though in reality she pretty much killed coach's entire dream career path.
Apples and oranges, imho. A lot changed regarding their standing in Dillon in between these events.
You bet a lot had changed. They now have lived there for 5 years instead of only one. Coach had a guaranteed contract and the backing of the entire town. It makes it even worse. Mrs. Coach's argument to not leave after season 1 was incredibly weak when you think about how short of a time they had been there.

You bet a lot had changed. They now have lived there for 5 years instead of only one. Coach had a guaranteed contract and the backing of the entire town. It makes it even worse. Mrs. Coach's argument to not leave after season 1 was incredibly weak when you think about how short of a time they had been there.
Uprooting a high school girl is a lot different than uprooting a toddler. I can see why Mrs. Coach would have been reluctant to put her teen daughter into yet another new school.

I finished season 2. You can tell that season was impacted by the writer's strike.

And while the Landry coverup is a bit silly is it that far fetched considering Steubenville?

Just downloaded season one and finished episode one (I've never seen the show).

Let the binge watching begin.

Just downloaded season one and finished episode one (I've never seen the show).

Let the binge watching begin.
Wow. I'm envious. Have fun.

Wait until they huddle in the locker room a ways into the season and then tell me you aren't chanting along with them.

Binge watching this on netflix, just starting season 3.  Disappointed that I didn't watch this a decade ago.  

I'm hopeful that Tyra goes back to her season 1 hair and that the Guatemalan caregiver comes back to Dillon.    

Users who are viewing this thread