What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

From Fat to Fit 2024 - New Year New Goals! (1 Viewer)

Corporation

Angry Bovine
Hello all,

During the pandemic, I was able to really lose weight thanks to the support from many friends like @bostonfred and @Alex P Keaton in Fred's weight loss thread. At that time, I hit my all time high weight of 227, which is obese for a 6 foot person. I was able to get into the "normal" range of the BMI scale by getting down lower than 183 pounds. I don't really believe in the BMI scale with all the different body types, but I was definitely too heavy. My target was to stay under 200 pounds, preferably under 195 but using 200 as a guard rail. I was successful until December 2022, when I hurt my back. This led to a significant decrease in activity and some seasonal affected depression (nothing major, but I ate for comfort). This has continued on all year until I stepped on the scale today to see 219.4.

I'm ready to get back into shape and would love both encouragement from our community and to encourage others who may want to get back into shape. My goal is to get back under 200 by my 50th (ouch) birthday in August. That's 3 months away and a 2 pound per week loss should get me there. I believe it is very hard to out exercise a bad diet, so I will stick with my 1,500 calorie daily goal to start with. My go to dietary plan has been what I call "Chickpotle", where I drink a protein drink in the morning, have a Chipotle bowl for lunch, and a chicken filet for dinner. I also take fiber supplements and vitamins to round out the macros. People in the other thread had all different types of methods that worked, so hopefully people will share what they do so it may benefit others.

I'll be weighing in every day using the format I used last time. I hope others join on the journey from fat to fit!

DateWeightChg From StartWeekly LossCalories
May 15219.4--

Good luck. That diet sounds miserable.
Have you considered getting your body fat calculated by a professional? Progress there might be more motivating than pure lbs.
:D Fred called it the daily mash. I really don't mind it. I have one cheat day per week. I really like Chipotle and chicken (usually Chickfila).

I have not considered the professional route. Right now, amateurs can see I'm way overweight. We just got back from DisneyWorld and man in all the pictures I just looked terrible. So although I'm using pounds as the measuring stick, I will really be considering how I feel and look as the main guide.

Good luck. That diet sounds miserable.
Have you considered getting your body fat calculated by a professional? Progress there might be more motivating than pure lbs.
:D Fred called it the daily mash. I really don't mind it. I have one cheat day per week. I really like Chipotle and chicken (usually Chickfila).

I have not considered the professional route. Right now, amateurs can see I'm way overweight. We just got back from DisneyWorld and man in all the pictures I just looked terrible. So although I'm using pounds as the measuring stick, I will really be considering how I feel and look as the main guide.
If it works for you, 👍🏽 I just personally would not do either place daily.

I turned 50 last Fall, and am working my way back into shape. I used to run a lot, and for goal races I typically weighed in around 180. Covid cancelled all the races for awhile then I dealt with a couple of injuries so it's been 2-3 years since I last ran consistently. Between that and my diet turning to crap, by New Years I weighed in at an all-time high of 226, which at 5'11" put me in the obese category.
I've started to get back to running, need to get more consistent and get back to at least 4-5 times/week. I've done ok this year in working my way back down towards my goal weight of 185, 207 this morning, but much of that weight loss was in Jan-Feb and I've stalled a bit since. Time to double down on the diet (low carb/keto works best for me) and add some resistance/weight training along with continuing to ramp up my running. I want to end my 50th year in much better shape than I came into it!

I turned 50 last Fall, and am working my way back into shape. I used to run a lot, and for goal races I typically weighed in around 180. Covid cancelled all the races for awhile then I dealt with a couple of injuries so it's been 2-3 years since I last ran consistently. Between that and my diet turning to crap, by New Years I weighed in at an all-time high of 226, which at 5'11" put me in the obese category.
I've started to get back to running, need to get more consistent and get back to at least 4-5 times/week. I've done ok this year in working my way back down towards my goal weight of 185, 207 this morning, but much of that weight loss was in Jan-Feb and I've stalled a bit since. Time to double down on the diet (low carb/keto works best for me) and add some resistance/weight training along with continuing to ramp up my running. I want to end my 50th year in much better shape than I came into it!
Hey that's great progress! Over the last few years, running just puts too much strain on my joints. I started road cycling probably 8 years ago and really enjoy it. I've already paired up with a friend and we've had a few rides. I'll be looking to make that much more consistent.

Exercise wise, I'm resuming my hour long spin class tonight, will be doing "group fitness" at the Y on Tue and Thursday nights, and would like to get a regular real road ride on Saturday mornings.

Hello all,

During the pandemic, I was able to really lose weight thanks to the support from many friends like @bostonfred and @Alex P Keaton in Fred's weight loss thread. At that time, I hit my all time high weight of 227, which is obese for a 6 foot person. I was able to get into the "normal" range of the BMI scale by getting down lower than 183 pounds. I don't really believe in the BMI scale with all the different body types, but I was definitely too heavy. My target was to stay under 200 pounds, preferably under 195 but using 200 as a guard rail. I was successful until December 2022, when I hurt my back. This led to a significant decrease in activity and some seasonal affected depression (nothing major, but I ate for comfort). This has continued on all year until I stepped on the scale today to see 219.4.

I'm ready to get back into shape and would love both encouragement from our community and to encourage others who may want to get back into shape. My goal is to get back under 200 by my 50th (ouch) birthday in August. That's 3 months away and a 2 pound per week loss should get me there. I believe it is very hard to out exercise a bad diet, so I will stick with my 1,500 calorie daily goal to start with. My go to dietary plan has been what I call "Chickpotle", where I drink a protein drink in the morning, have a Chipotle bowl for lunch, and a chicken filet for dinner. I also take fiber supplements and vitamins to round out the macros. People in the other thread had all different types of methods that worked, so hopefully people will share what they do so it may benefit others.

I'll be weighing in every day using the format I used last time. I hope others join on the journey from fat to fit!

May 15219.4--
Man, this is awesome and so timely! I’ve debated resurrecting that thread — but you stepped up and did it already!!

Context: I’m not tall (and really hate that everyone on this board is 6+ feet tall) so for me 15-20 lbs is a really big deal. During the pandemic my weight jumped up by 15-20 lbs during an intense work project for our CEO. Thanks to bostonfred and this board, I lost all but 2-3 lbs of that weight. And kept it off……until I took a new, stressful job, Covid slowed and the world opened up, I started traveling 6-8 days a month for work, etc

In the middle of all this, I got back into playing pickup basketball 2 days a week and developed severe knee/quad pain. Ultimately had to take off 8-10 weeks (from both basketball and running) for twice weekly, intense PT.

So here I sit now — up maybe 10-12 lbs from my target weight, but also way down on upper body muscle tone, in need of a complete overhaul. I’m not sure what my goal is yet, but it includes:
- sustainable weight loss (reach target weight)
- get to where I’m doing 200+ push ups every other night (no, this isn’t a euphemism for spousal co-activity)
- do yoga 1x per week
- eat less processed food

I’m going to stick around this thread and figure out a gameplan, then commit to it publicly (again) because I know that being accountable to this group will work for me.

Thanks Corporation for giving me the nudge to get back at it.
-

Hello all,

May 15219.4--
Man, this is awesome and so timely! I’ve debated resurrecting that thread — but you stepped up and did it already!!

Context: I’m not tall (and really hate that everyone on this board is 6+ feet tall) so for me 15-20 lbs is a really big deal. During the pandemic my weight jumped up by 15-20 lbs during an intense work project for our CEO. Thanks to bostonfred and this board, I lost all but 2-3 lbs of that weight. And kept it off……until I took a new, stressful job, Covid slowed and the world opened up, I started traveling 6-8 days a month for work, etc

In the middle of all this, I got back into playing pickup basketball 2 days a week and developed severe knee/quad pain. Ultimately had to take off 8-10 weeks (from both basketball and running) for twice weekly, intense PT.

So here I sit now — up maybe 10-12 lbs from my target weight, but also way down on upper body muscle tone, in need of a complete overhaul. I’m not sure what my goal is yet, but it includes:
- sustainable weight loss (reach target weight)
- get to where I’m doing 200+ push ups every other night (no, this isn’t a euphemism for spousal co-activity)
- do yoga 1x per week
- eat less processed food

I’m going to stick around this thread and figure out a gameplan, then commit to it publicly (again) because I know that being accountable to this group will work for me.

Thanks Corporation for giving me the nudge to get back at it.
-
Welcome back! (Although sorry you have to be in the same boat with me :) ). There is no doubt for me, accountability is my number 1 success factor in doing this. I will let myself down, but if I think others are with me, there's no way I want to let them down.

I've needed to do this for a decade now
Join us! The accountability is key, and some really smart people will likely chime in with what they do to lose weight (or maintain). There are many ways (weighs) to do it, so it is about finding the one that works for you. I'm a big believer in a good plan executed at a high level (repeatable, sustainable) is better than a perfect plan executed in a mediocre fashion.

I've needed to do this for a decade now
Join us! The accountability is key, and some really smart people will likely chime in with what they do to lose weight (or maintain). There are many ways (weighs) to do it, so it is about finding the one that works for you. I'm a big believer in a good plan executed at a high level (repeatable, sustainable) is better than a perfect plan executed in a mediocre fashion.
The previous thread is proof of both sides of that coin!

Oh man, sorry to hear you some of you guys gained the weight back and aren't as fit as you'd like to be.

I'm in the same boat as you, Corporation. Same weight and same height and same age down to our birth month of August. I can also get down to 185 whereupon I am really thin (probably could go thinner, but then people start telling me I'm too thin).

Maybe we can encourage each other to produce lasting weight loss results.

Oh man, sorry to hear you some of you guys gained the weight back and aren't as fit as you'd like to be.

I'm in the same boat as you, Corporation. Same weight and same height and same age down to our birth month of August. I can also get down to 185 whereupon I am really thin (probably could go thinner, but then people start telling me I'm too thin).

Maybe we can encourage each other to produce lasting weight loss results.
Yep, lasting is definitely the goal, but sometimes life happens and that's ok too. Definitely looking for lifestyle changes and not "drop 15 pounds in 2 weeks by doing X".

Eat more vegetables to fill your belly. It is a simple as you say though, calories in and calories out. If you are walking around hungry all day you are doing it right. You certainly wont die from 1500 calories per day. Just embrace the suffering.

Glad someone resurrected this idea for a thread. Three old lessons and one newer one that I’ve read over the years:

1. Pay attention to what you eat
2. Do aerobic training 3 times per week
3. Do weight training 3 times per week
4. Intermittent fasting to remind your body it is ok to be hungry

It all seems so simple … yet here I am following along to try and get rid of 10-12 pounds.

Ahoy! 6'0", 215, and born in August too (though I turned 50 several years ago). A sedentary lifestyle took root during covid and I've struggled ever since to shake it.

Will target Friday (evenings), Saturday, and Sunday for weightlifting and steam room, mainly because the gym is packed Mon-Thur evenings. Will throw in two nights of stair-climbing cardio per week too.

Diet guidelines will be simple. With a few exceptions, no restaurants; no meals that come packaged in a box; and, eat a ####ton of fresh vegetables. Beyond this, I won't get too religious about food. My evenings are carefree these days and I plan to take advantage and allocate ample time to prepare and cook high-end grub.

Goal: It's a lofty one. Drop 45+ lbs of fat and add 10 pounds of muscle - from 28% (ish) body fat to 10%, by year's end.

Last edited:
Ahoy! 6'0", 215, and born in August too (though I turned 50 several years ago). A sedentary lifestyle took root during covid and I've struggled ever since to shake it.

Will target Friday (evenings), Saturday, and Sunday for weightlifting and steam room, mainly because the gym is packed Mon-Thur evenings. Will throw in two nights of stair-climbing cardio two additional nights per week.

Diet guidelines will be simple. With a few exceptions, no restaurants; no meals that come packaged in a box; and, eat a ####ton of fresh vegetables. Beyond this, I won't get too religious about food. My evenings are carefree these days and I plan to take advantage and allocate ample time to prepare and cook high-end grub.

Goal: It's a lofty one. Drop 45+ lbs of fat and add 10 pounds of muscle - from 28% (ish) body fat to 10%, by year's end.
That is a very aggressive goal! Definitely one to work towards even if you don't hit the timeline. Welcome aboard!

Day 1 was a success, though largely water weight. Down 2.3 pounds. Had 1400 calories and 55 minutes of spin class.

May 15219.4--1400
May 16217.12.3

Nice. Well done!

Past two days for me:
Sunday — 1200 net calories vs goal of 1300
Monday — 1150 net calories Vs goal of 1300

Down 0.6 lbs since Sunday morning weigh in. Probably just random, paired with reduced salt consumption / water retention.

Hope to lose 1.5 lbs per week for the next 4 weeks, then 1 lb per week until target weight.

Good luck dude!
Enjoy the grind of the journey and success begets success.

6'2" 201 yesterday. in my 50s currently grinding again. I've done the back and forth swing soo many times getting ready for race season and then post season slacking off ... My old race weight was 185. Have goals of 200 195 190. Ideally 185-190 by July 4.

Day 1 was a success, though largely water weight. Down 2.3 pounds. Had 1400 calories and 55 minutes of spin class.

May 15219.4--1400
May 16217.12.3

Nice. Well done!

Past two days for me:

Down 0.6 lbs since Sunday morning weigh in. Probably just random, paired with reduced salt consumption / water retention.

Hope to lose 1.5 lbs per week for the next 4 weeks, then 1 lb per week until target weight.
Great job! This is a well planned, achievable goal. I think you will get there sooner than you think!

Good luck dude!

6'2" 201 yesterday. in my 50s currently grinding again. I've done the back and forth swing soo many times getting ready for race season and then post season slacking off ... My old race weight was 185. Have goals of 200 195 190. Ideally 185-190 by July 4.
I think 185 would be a really good weight for me. I think I live more "comfortably" in the 190 - 195 range so that's my initial target, but we'll see if it goes further. Last time I was in such a groove that I went sub 190 and then thought "wonder if I can be normal according to BMI". Had to work to get to 182 but it wasn't overly difficult.

I do have a pattern of yo-yo weight so I don't want to drop to a level that I think is unsustainable, only to have to go through this process again. So low to mid 190s for now.

Tonight I have a "group fitness" class at the Y, and I told my friends I would be there (mainly trying to work accountability from multiple angles). I know when I get home I'm going to be tired and not want to change and go, but making the commitment to others will get me there.

:blackdot:
I was diagnosed with Type 2 betes. They put me on that Mounjaro shot. I lost 5 pounds Sunday night to Monday morning from explosive diarrhea. Highly recommended.
Sorry about the diagnosis! A friend of mine started taking some shot (not sure if it is Mounjaro or not) specifically for weight loss. It has worked great for her, but I'm such a baby about needles there's no way I would do it unless it was absolutely medically necessary.

Day 2, stuck with the diet and did light weight work for about 45 minutes. Arms sore this morning.

May 15219.4--1400
May 16217.12.31440
May 17216.03.4

May 15219.4--1400
May 16217.12.3

Nice. Well done!

Past two days for me:

1200 net calories on Tuesday. Down 0.9 lbs so far. Visiting my parents the next 2 days — really have to stay disciplined while at their house. They have terrible food habits and the visit overall stresses me out.

May 15219.4--1400
May 16217.12.3

Nice. Well done!

Past two days for me:

1200 net calories on Tuesday. Down 0.9 lbs so far. Visiting my parents the next 2 days — really have to stay disciplined while at their house. They have terrible food habits and the visit overall stresses me out.
It's always the days that break routine for me that are troubling. Also, I think somewhat it's ok to cheat (within reason) on those days. You don't want to ruin an experience by adhering to a diet that really has an arbitrary deadline.

For me, both boys are home from college and they will have more snacks around the house. I never keep snacks around so I don't have the temptation to splurge. I'll have to manage this with them being home.

One thing that helps me a ton is portion control. I find when I'm not eating well I'll take way more than I really need.

I just get conscious about it and take half of what I think I need. Half a chicken breast. One spoon of pasta salad instead of two. Etc.....

:blackdot:
I was diagnosed with Type 2 betes. They put me on that Mounjaro shot. I lost 5 pounds Sunday night to Monday morning from explosive diarrhea. Highly recommended.
Sorry about the diagnosis! A friend of mine started taking some shot (not sure if it is Mounjaro or not) specifically for weight loss. It has worked great for her, but I'm such a baby about needles there's no way I would do it unless it was absolutely medically necessary.
I am the worst with needles. I even cringe with getting my finger pricked. I cannot feel this thing. I refuse to look at the needle but I seriously do not feel a thing.

MoP has been MIA and I regret it
I needed a life line when the pandemic broke and found it at the same thread you link

MoP suffers from self inflicted wounds that should never burden the exercise and fitness group.
Out of respect for everyone of them, I've chosen to take a leave until i can control what I know is my achilles heal

There's a lot of really good people in that thread.
But I'm not one of them right now

You can do whatever you want, believing in yourself is almost #1 overall
Don't beat yourself up, surround yourself with people who love and care for you
It's also good to surround yourself with people who need your love and care.
I apologize to anyone I have hurt or let down on here, it's not what I wished for

I needed a life line when the pandemic broke and found it at the same thread you link

MoP suffers from self inflicted wounds that should never burden the exercise and fitness group.
Out of respect for everyone of them, I've chosen to take a leave until i can control what I know is my achilles heal

I apologize to anyone I have hurt or let down on here, it's not what I wished for
I'm not sure what happened in the other thread (or other places) but I hope you get in a better place. Lots of people in real life and online to love and support you.

Is it beer? That's my Achilles' heel. 11 days clean and down about five pounds.

Day 3 in the books and have eaten the exact same thing all 3 days. Today I have felt the energy drain. Historically this will last probably 2-3 days until my body adjusts, but I'm really dragging right now.

May 15219.4--1400
May 16217.12.31440
May 17216.03.41400
May 18215.14.3

MOP long time listener first time caller. Holler if you need to talk.

Day 3 in the books and have eaten the exact same thing all 3 days. Today I have felt the energy drain. Historically this will last probably 2-3 days until my body adjusts, but I'm really dragging right now.

May 15219.4--1400
May 16217.12.31440
May 17216.03.41400
May 18215.14.3
Keep it up!!!

I went 200 calories over my goal yesterday (because I didn’t exercise enough ugh) and am in about the same spot today. Compared to my normal visits with my parents, that’s relatively healthy eating. Ugh ugh ugh.

Back home tomorrow, and back to better discipline.

Edit to add: the good part is that I don’t need to beat myself up over it. I just need to start fresh tomorrow, get back at it, and not make it worse by binging on late night food tonight out of frustration.

In, so in. Weight has been a constant struggle since I can remember. Dad's been 300+ my whole life and eats his feelings. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifW9LIGabQM

Been around long enough to win the inaugural Fatballguys challenge in 06(?), think I went 226-->184 or so. Porked up, then dropped down before my '12 wedding. Bunch of highs and lows over the past 15+ years with each high being a little higher and each low being not quite as low. Couple years ago between the fat, some work stress and general 2021 angst felt my heart racing. Went into a cardiologist 267 on 5/21/21. After admonishment, cut down to 210.9 on 10/1/21. Porked up to 246.9 by 3/26/22. Got real serious and got down to 192.4 on 8/21/22. First time I had been below 200 (for 12 glorious days) since my slow ascent back in the aughts.

Holidays and the passing of my mom (heart attack out of the blue, as if I needed any more hints) blew me up to 240.3 on 3/1/21. As of this morning I'm tipping the scales at 223.9. At 5'11" that's a BMI of 31.2, I'm almost 44 and have three kids, 7, 5 and 3. At 50ish, my pop had a quadruple bypass. That's not a memory I want to give my children. Heaviest ever was 293, so could easily be on that path.

Wife is a stay at home mom, so between work and then coming home and spending time with the kids not much free time in the day. Exercise suffers. I'm a binge eater, so have to really lean into IF to control (eliminate) eating/grazing at work and control the food that comes into the house so I'm not tempted to polish off 20 double stuf oreos.

5/19/23: 223.9 lbs

Good luck dude!

201 Monday 5/15
200 Friday 5/19 Thanks to 4 OTs and only 4 hours of sleep I'm ok with it. I did have a snacky evening Wednesday, it wasn't horrible but it wasn't on plan :( Personal history tells me sleep is key for my weight loss and hitting HR goals in training. Hopefully tomorrow I won't be a Clydesdale any more.

I agree that diet is the main thing. You can get thin without ever training, by eating correctly. But for me, it is much easier to watch what I eat if I am working out. Also, you see gains much faster if you are working out as well. Seeing gains begets motivation, which begets more discipline. Much easier to pass on that box of Nutter Butters if you just got out of the shower after a bike ride, as opposed to a grueling 30 minutes of Instagram and FBG message boards. Also, much easier to do this if there are no Nutter Butters in the house, but hey, people don't live alone, so at some point self-control comes into play.

All regular cardio for me is low-impact, I am very respectful of my back and knee and ankle joints. BIke ride, Stairmaster. Elliptical is fine I guess, but I never liked it, and it's tough to get a sweat going. For real, the best thing in the gym is the old school Stairmaster, you know the one you can fall off, actual stairs? You get a sweat going up a never ending flight of stairs really quick. 30 minutes of an interval setting. I will do interval training on my bike as well, riding hard till I am burning, then slowing down, and letting the heart rate slow down, and do it again. A good read on interval training The effect of after burn, and speeding up you metabolism through HIIT results in you having the ability to burn more fat when you are NOT training,, thus the advantage over diet without exercise, or just doing longer sustained exercise. And no matter how out of shape you are, HIIT helps.

In, so in. Weight has been a constant struggle since I can remember. Dad's been 300+ my whole life and eats his feelings. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifW9LIGabQM

Been around long enough to win the inaugural Fatballguys challenge in 06(?), think I went 226-->184 or so. Porked up, then dropped down before my '12 wedding. Bunch of highs and lows over the past 15+ years with each high being a little higher and each low being not quite as low. Couple years ago between the fat, some work stress and general 2021 angst felt my heart racing. Went into a cardiologist 267 on 5/21/21. After admonishment, cut down to 210.9 on 10/1/21. Porked up to 246.9 by 3/26/22. Got real serious and got down to 192.4 on 8/21/22. First time I had been below 200 (for 12 glorious days) since my slow ascent back in the aughts.

Holidays and the passing of my mom (heart attack out of the blue, as if I needed any more hints) blew me up to 240.3 on 3/1/21. As of this morning I'm tipping the scales at 223.9. At 5'11" that's a BMI of 31.2, I'm almost 44 and have three kids, 7, 5 and 3. At 50ish, my pop had a quadruple bypass. That's not a memory I want to give my children. Heaviest ever was 293, so could easily be on that path.

Wife is a stay at home mom, so between work and then coming home and spending time with the kids not much free time in the day. Exercise suffers. I'm a binge eater, so have to really lean into IF to control (eliminate) eating/grazing at work and control the food that comes into the house so I'm not tempted to polish off 20 double stuf oreos.

5/19/23: 223.9 lbs
Welcome aboard! I hope you get the same benefit I do from the accountability and support!

I agree that diet is the main thing. You can get thin without ever training, by eating correctly. But for me, it is much easier to watch what I eat if I am working out. Also, you see gains much faster if you are working out as well. Seeing gains begets motivation, which begets more discipline. Much easier to pass on that box of Nutter Butters if you just got out of the shower after a bike ride, as opposed to a grueling 30 minutes of Instagram and FBG message boards. Also, much easier to do this if there are no Nutter Butters in the house, but hey, people don't live alone, so at some point self-control comes into play.

All regular cardio for me is low-impact, I am very respectful of my back and knee and ankle joints. BIke ride, Stairmaster. Elliptical is fine I guess, but I never liked it, and it's tough to get a sweat going. For real, the best thing in the gym is the old school Stairmaster, you know the one you can fall off, actual stairs? You get a sweat going up a never ending flight of stairs really quick. 30 minutes of an interval setting. I will do interval training on my bike as well, riding hard till I am burning, then slowing down, and letting the heart rate slow down, and do it again. A good read on interval training The effect of after burn, and speeding up you metabolism through HIIT results in you having the ability to burn more fat when you are NOT training,, thus the advantage over diet without exercise, or just doing longer sustained exercise. And no matter how out of shape you are, HIIT helps.
I'm the same way, would love to run but have to take care of those joints. Biking is key for me. Sometimes in the office we will use the stairs up to the 16th floor, and I'm amazed at how quickly my heart rate jumps doing that.

Users who are viewing this thread