What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Galarraga perfect thru 8 for the Tigers (1 Viewer)

I mean I think you have to call the runner out there short of the pitcher just dropping the ball. Even if it is a tie or he skims the bag like a a SS on a double, I think you just call him out and give the kid the perfect game. Don't know what Joyce was thinking there.
:wall: Tie goes to the runner 100% of the time, perfect game or not.
:shrug: I do agree with this. If it was a tie, Joyce should make the safe call.
Bob Costas had a great interview on his Studio 42 MLB Network show with three long-time umpires.They said the #1 myth about umpires is that a "tie goes to the runner." They said you are either safe or out... there are no ties.

:shrug:

Really double :wall: :shock:

For the fact that it should have been the third!?! perfect game of the season, and was blown by the ump on out 27. I would have expected an out call there even if the runner beat it by a half count on a bang-bang play like that.

This is not a good year for MLB umpires.

Last edited by a moderator:
the pitcher beat him to the bag, but on the second replay it appeared he may have bobbled the ball in his glove
This isn't football. He had the ball in his glove and his foot on the base. Total no-brainer.
uh, no. he has to have control of the ball, just like footballWe've all made snowcone catches. Some of them you have control immediately. Others you really don't have control of until you move the ball into the center of the glove. It is very difficult to tell the difference.If this were any other out (not the last out for a perfect game) we'd be saying this was a borderline call, not a horrible call.

the pitcher beat him to the bag, but on the second replay it appeared he may have bobbled the ball in his glove
This isn't football. He had the ball in his glove and his foot on the base. Total no-brainer.
uh, no. he has to have control of the ball, just like footballWe've all made snowcone catches. Some of them you have control immediately. Others you really don't have control of until you move the ball into the center of the glove. It is very difficult to tell the difference.If this were any other out (not the last out for a perfect game) we'd be saying this was a borderline call, not a horrible call.
PerhapsI'm not gonna lose much sleepBut this guy's life is gonna be a mess for a while, regardless. Like Hochuli after his flagrantly awful game-losing call a couple years ago. It will pass. From what I know Joyce is a good ump.

I mean I think you have to call the runner out there short of the pitcher just dropping the ball. Even if it is a tie or he skims the bag like a a SS on a double, I think you just call him out and give the kid the perfect game. Don't know what Joyce was thinking there.
:shock: Tie goes to the runner 100% of the time, perfect game or not.
:shrug: I do agree with this. If it was a tie, Joyce should make the safe call.
Bob Costas had a great interview on his Studio 42 MLB Network show with three long-time umpires.They said the #1 myth about umpires is that a "tie goes to the runner." They said you are either safe or out... there are no ties.
Link to any play where they got there at the same time and the runner's called out? I'll wait... :wall:

One of the worst calls ever. Ump stole the mans legacy. He'll think about this day and that call until the day he dies.

it looked like he was gonna call him out then changed his mind. maybe it was the bobble
Bobble isn't the right word though. It was a snow cone and then he simply opened the glove enough to fall in after he thought the play was complete. Ball was in his control the whole time and the movement of the ball was because he opened his glove, not because it was loose.
it looked like he was gonna call him out then changed his mind. maybe it was the bobble
It was a snow cone not a bobble. Armando had total control of the ball.
relax guys. I agree 100% that he was out. Just trying to figure out the umps moronic call.

Bobble isn't the right word though. It was a snow cone and then he simply opened the glove enough to fall in after he thought the play was complete. Ball was in his control the whole time and the movement of the ball was because he opened his glove, not because it was loose.
relax guys. I agree 100% that he was out. Just trying to figure out the umps moronic call.
Tiger homers are a little sensitive tonight...can't say as I blame them.

Anybody got a clip of this awful call? Been wathcing another game and this is the first ive heard of this.

Nothing to do with Tiger homers. I'm not a Tiger fan and even I'm mad about it.

Fact is, Joyce stole history from the kid because he was trying to be the perfect ump. The fact that he started to bang him and then pulled back and called him safe is beyond stupid. His first instinct was to bang him, and then he thought better of it for no apparent reason. A lot of these guys don't understand that the call isn't a science experiment. Truth is, 99.9% of the calls can be made by anyone -- these guys are paid well because they're supposed to get the tough ones too. This one? Not a tough one. He was trying to make the perfect call when the situation merely asked him to be somewhat competent.

I got what you were doing but still don't think bobble is the right way to say it since it implies to those not seeing the play that there might have been a loss of control. I do think maybe the ump saw the guy reposition the ball and that played into his choice.

Figured it would be here, and there it is :lmao: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perfect_games
On June 2, 2010, Armando Galarraga of the Detroit Tigers pitched 8.2 perfect innings but lost the perfect game on an asinine, Don Denkinger esque call by first base umpire Jim Joyce. Jason Donald hit a ground ball to 1st baseman Miguel Cabrera, who tossed to Galarraga, but Donald was called safe, ending the perfect game and no-hitter. Completing the one-hitter, Galarrago threw a mere 88 pitches, 67 of them for strikes.
Denkinger esque... :no:

:confused: Tie goes to the runner 100% of the time, perfect game or not.
THERE ARE NO TIES!!!! That is why there is a safe or out call. There is no 50/50 and no umpire worth a #### is trained to think the call goes to the runner. Plenty of "ties" are out calls and this close play should have been one of them. Awful.

I'm still in shock as to how bad of a call that was....

And I don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but he blew two calls...

Damon was called safe an inning or two earlier and was out by a half step...

Nothing to do with Tiger homers. I'm not a Tiger fan and even I'm mad about it.Fact is, Joyce stole history from the kid because he was trying to be the perfect ump. The fact that he started to bang him and then pulled back and called him safe is beyond stupid. His first instinct was to bang him, and then he thought better of it for no apparent reason. A lot of these guys don't understand that the call isn't a science experiment. Truth is, 99.9% of the calls can be made by anyone -- these guys are paid well because they're supposed to get the tough ones too. This one? Not a tough one. He was trying to make the perfect call when the situation merely asked him to be somewhat competent.
OK, I thought maybe Tiger homers would be more upset. I get that every fan would like to see it. It is a shame that the kid was robbed by Joyce. He's a good ump.

THERE ARE NO TIES!!!! That is why there is a safe or out call. There is no 50/50 and no umpire worth a #### is trained to think the call goes to the runner. Plenty of "ties" are out calls and this close play should have been one of them. Awful.
So you're saying that in 130+ years of baseball, there has NEVER been a time when the ball and the runner didn't get there at the same time? Fascinating...

:no: Tie goes to the runner 100% of the time, perfect game or not.
:confused: I do agree with this. If it was a tie, Joyce should make the safe call.
Link to any play where they got there at the same time and the runner's called out? I'll wait... :coffee:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsTVH_F_qGo

1:15 in.

So you're saying that in 130+ years of baseball, there has NEVER been a time when the ball and the runner didn't get there at the same time? Fascinating...
Nope... not once. How many times has the umpire called a tie and replayed the last at bat? Or stopped the game and called a tie.

:confused: I do agree with this. If it was a tie, Joyce should make the safe call.
Link to any play where they got there at the same time and the runner's called out? I'll wait... :coffee:

"I just cost that kid a perfect game," Joyce said. "I thought he beat the throw. I was convinced he beat the throw, until I saw the replay."

"It was the biggest call of my career," said Joyce, who became a full-time major league umpire in 1989.

Nope... not once. How many times has the umpire called a tie and replayed the last at bat? Or stopped the game and called a tie.
Wow...in thousands of games, the ball and the runner have never reached first at the same time in your opinion? I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I guess.

"I just cost that kid a perfect game," Joyce said. "I thought he beat the throw. I was convinced he beat the throw, until I saw the replay.""It was the biggest call of my career," said Joyce, who became a full-time major league umpire in 1989.
Oof....almost feel bad for the guy.

:no:

Tie goes to the runner 100% of the time, perfect game or not.
:no: I do agree with this. If it was a tie, Joyce should make the safe call.
Ball was there first. Ump blew the call... :coffee:

"I just cost that kid a perfect game," Joyce said. "I thought he beat the throw. I was convinced he beat the throw, until I saw the replay.""It was the biggest call of my career," said Joyce, who became a full-time major league umpire in 1989.
Almost? You have to feel bad for him. No one is perfect, and at least he owned up to it immediately. I am sure that will haunt him for a long time, and Tigers fans will hate him forever, but #### happens.

Almost? You have to feel bad for him. No one is perfect, and at least he owned up to it immediately. I am sure that will haunt him for a long time, and Tigers fans will hate him forever, but #### happens.
I feel worse for GalarragaAt least he wont be known as the worst pitcher to ever throw a PG :no:

Cliche as it may be, we are indeed human. The guy owned up to it, and it sucks, but credit for not duckng or denying.

At least he wont be known as the worst pitcher to ever throw a PG :no:
That would be like feeling sorry for the homeliest Supermodel.

I feel for him. You can be mad at the guy but when you get down to it he's human and simply made a (huge) mistake. Major credit to him for owning up to it though.Still no idea what he was really thinking though. The play was so close that you really almost have to bow to history there and call him out.

Cliche as it may be, we are indeed human. The guy owned up to it, and it sucks, but credit for not duckng or denying.
:confused: Everybody makes mistakes. Joyce stood there after the game was over and let Leyland lay into him, then owned up to it after the game.

:confused: Everybody makes mistakes. Joyce stood there after the game was over and let Leyland lay into him, then owned up to it after the game.
Miggy too. 9/10 of these knobs would have tossed himLet's face it, this is really JIM'S tragedy

The rule actually speaks to the "tie". It says the ball must BEAT the player to the bag. So, in a tie, the ball doesn't beat the runner.

Miggy too. 9/10 of these knobs would have tossed himLet's face it, this is really JIM'S tragedy
I've never felt a more appropriate time to use the :lmao: Jesus, I can't believe how quickly Joyce has turned into some poor victim in all of this.

Michael Brown said:
JZilla said:
Comer said:
Smack Tripper said:
shadyridr said:
I've never felt a more appropriate time to use the :unsure: Jesus, I can't believe how quickly Joyce has turned into some poor victim in all of this.
What do you want him to do? Put a shotgun in his mouth?Guy made a huge mistake, apologized to the main "victim" (couldn't think of a better word) and then came out and told the media he ####ed up. Would you like for his bloody corpse to be stoned on Main Street?

Bojang0301 said:
Tom Servo said:
Bojang0301 said:
Tom Servo said:
ianfitzy said:
How can there be a tie if a distinct call is made and the call stands no matter what? Joyce made the wrong call tonight and even admitted so. Does that change it? No. So how can a theoretical tie go to the runner. It doesn't, it is plainly at the discretion of the umpire. Anyone who yells out tie goes to the runner is the equivalent to a little league dad who doesn't understand the game of baseball. Theoretical ties are called out all the time.

Michael Brown said:
Jesus, I can't believe how quickly Joyce has turned into some poor victim in all of this.
He is not a victim. But, considering we live in an age where personal accountability seems to be a thing of the past, for a guy to own up to such a huge mistake so quickly is something that people will take notice of. He is not the victim - Galarraga is, as he lost the perfect game - but Joyce is not the devil either.

Users who are viewing this thread