What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Garcon vs FanDuel (1 Viewer)

Ministry of Pain

Footballguy
I guess there is a whole forum dedicated to the daily beast but I thought this was worth discussing in the the NFL forum. I applaud Garcon. I have a lot of questions and would love to fire a few at him for about 10-15 minutes but for now I am just happy to watch from afar. I play it, of course I do as most of you do, it's addictive to say the least.

I can't explain exactly why I applaud him but it feels right for an NFL player to get on the offense with this, Garcon seems like the right guy as well. Has a very well documented NFL career, is not an elite WR but certainly is more than a footnote, I want to learn more about all this but it seems like a good move for him and other NFL players.

Good for the avg NFL fan? Doubtful and eventually I have to believe the Feds are gonna put an end to the fun, they always do.

Any thoughts on the lawsuit? Does it change your view or opinion about the daily fantasy leagues for the NFL? I assume they have this for MLB and have for some time, never hear a word about it. When you are advertising nonstop 24/7 on the NFLN, ESPN, have contracts it seems with most of the major networks and pregame shows with segments devoted entirely to FD or DKs, eventually you gotta think something isn't right and the Feds are going to stick their nose into it.

Last edited by a moderator:
No leg to stand on it would seem right? Its the same with text based video games that are pro sports simulations. They are not required to have licensing either and that even farther than Fan Duel takes things.

Reading articles about this, the lawsuit seems to be less about "you are using data representations of my performances to make gobs of money" and more about "you show an ACTUAL representation of ME and my name in half-hour infomercials, almost 60 times, without my permission, to make gobs of money" - I suppose the courts will decide, but logic says they are two different things.

I'm flattered I had such a lasting impact WB, unfortunately even with 3000+ posts I have no idea who you are. Enjoy your time here on Earth.

I was surprised to read that only 16 million was spent on advertising by FD for the first week in October. It felt more like 16 billion.

Whatever it takes to get their commercials off of the networks, I'm all for.
Can you explain why? Do you feel it sends a bad message to kids for example?
You enjoy the commercials? It's out of control and I hope and pray these DFS companies fold.
I completely agree, they are so hokie and they make it seem like 20 year olds are becoming instant millionaires. Some of that may be true, young guys making a lot of money winning these large tourneys, seems logical. But it sends a terrible message IMO to impressionable youth and I would go beyond a teenager to the early 20 something crowd which is easily influenced by this stuff.

That said, I eagerly spend my $50 a week on several lottery tickets hoping my numbers come in. Once you play it is difficult to not fill out a couple line ups each week. And I'm sure there are lots out there who spend a heckuva lot more than I do.

That said, I eagerly spend my $50 a week on several lottery tickets hoping my numbers come in. Once you play it is difficult to not fill out a couple line ups each week. And I'm sure there are lots out there who spend a heckuva lot more than I do.
Good that you're on the low end of the spectrum but I hate that the DFS sites (with FBG's as enablers) are trying to turn fantasy football players into gambling addicts.

Why can't the DFS powers at be just give their advertising account to the makers of the Carls Jr. commercials? I'd be ok watching those a million times a day.

Why can't the DFS powers at be just give their advertising account to the makers of the Carls Jr. commercials? I'd be ok watching those a million times a day.
I love those commercials...i remember the fish sandwich one from last year had a dollop of mayo sliding down the female spokespersons chest. This is much more wholesome advertising than nasty dfs.

I can't explain exactly why I applaud him but it feels right for an NFL player to get on the offense with this, Garcon seems like the right guy as well. Has a very well documented NFL career, is not an elite WR but certainly is more than a footnote, I want to learn more about all this but it seems like a good move for him and other NFL players.
Garcon tweeted out a link to sign up for his FanDuel contest every week last season. He's one of the last NFL players that should be filing this lawsuit.

I haven't looked at the lawsuit, but NFL players names are public domain so DFS sites don't owe players anything for using their names and pictures. I think this case gets thrown out.

I'm guessing Garcon had a promotional deal with Fanduel that expired and he thinks they are still using his name from part of that promotion without his permission somehow. He had an agreement with them and he was tweeting out links from his personal twitter account to his contests on Fanduel almost every week for awhile.

I can understand how some people are sick of the ads, but don't understand how people like OP can be rooting against the industry and think Garcon is some type of savior? Really? If you hate it that much just don't play, is it that hard to ignore? There are lots of commercials I hate on TV but I'm not actively rooting for any of those companies to go bankrupt, I just ignore them.

http://fansided.com/2015/10/30/pierre-garcon-fanduel-endorsement-facebook-twitter-social-media/

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread