What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Garlic (1 Viewer)

How many heads of garlic a month do you use

• None - we are a family of vampires

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • Less than 1

Votes: 3 6.0%
  • Between 1 and 4

Votes: 27 54.0%
  • Greater than 4

Votes: 18 36.0%

• Total voters

MTskibum

Footballguy
We do not use garlic in every meal, however if a recipe does call for garlic it usually calls for way to little. What is a couple cloves of garlic really going to do in a giant pot of spaghetti sauce for example. You really need 5-10 cloves to give it that restaurant type flavor.

Or last night for example when we cooked pizza, fry up ~5 cloves of finely diced garlic in olive oil and put it on the sauce before the cheese. Really adds tons of flavor to the pizza.

Not sure the number here. I do agree when making a recipe that I’d put in extra garlic. But I also can’t remember the last time I made pasta sauce for spaghetti from other than out of a jar (or pizza other than delivery or cooked from frozen).

Not sure the number here. I do agree when making a recipe that I’d put in extra garlic. But I also can’t remember the last time I made pasta sauce for spaghetti from other than out of a jar (or pizza other than delivery or cooked from frozen).

Quick, easy tomato sauce.. great for pizza, and capellini with rock shrimp...

San Marzanos (crush by hand), evoo, minced garlic. I finish my sauces with torn basil, s&P. Fresher flavor for me than cooking it in the sauce.

This makes about 2 jars of sauce.

Last edited:
I love garlic, it has a place in most everything I cook, but there is such a thing as too much. There are some Italian restaurants I won't go to because every dish they serve is dominated by it.

We do not use garlic in every meal, however if a recipe does call for garlic it usually calls for way to little. What is a couple cloves of garlic really going to do in a giant pot of spaghetti sauce for example. You really need 5-10 cloves to give it that restaurant type flavor.

Or last night for example when we cooked pizza, fry up ~5 cloves of finely diced garlic in olive oil and put it on the sauce before the cheese. Really adds tons of flavor to the pizza.

You want a real game changer? Roast it first. Heaven.

We eat a lot of garlic. I swear it's the secret to good health. No proof of that. I probably just stink so bad people avoid me.

We eat a lot of garlic. I swear it's the secret to good health. No proof of that. I probably just stink so bad people avoid me.

We fry it, probably slightly unhealthier than roasting but same effect.

Don't forget to let your garlic sit after chopping/cutting/dicing/mincing...

Old NYT quote pulled up on the Google.
How long should you let garlic sit?

about 15 minutes

Many home chefs mistakenly cook garlic immediately after crushing or chopping it, added Dr. Kraus. To maximize the health benefits, you should crush the garlic at room temperature and allow it to sit for about 15 minutes. That triggers an enzyme reaction that boosts the healthy compounds in garlic.Oct 15, 2007

Or just smash it with the side of a knife, cut the butt off and squeeze the garlic out. Easy Peazy.

We fry it, probably slightly unhealthier than roasting but same effect.

I dunno man, I take a head of garlic, scalp the top, add olive oil, sea salt and cracked black pepper then lightly cover with foil and roast at 400 for 45 minutes. Mmmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmm.

I love the Asian groceries, they sell packs of fresh garlic that have been peeled down to the individual cloves. So easy and sure you pay a bit more but peeling garlic is one of my less favorite kitchen chores.

I love garlic, it has a place in most everything I cook, but there is such a thing as too much. There are some Italian restaurants I won't go to because every dish they serve is dominated by it.
Not possible.

I'll pose the question to the garlic-heads in here: How is your overall health, in general?

Knock on wood, but I'm almost never sick. At least, not with anything with a fever. No Covid (yet) and outside of some gnarly hangovers, I am up and at 'em every damn day. I swear my intake of garlic has something to do with this.

Not only do we use a few heads each month, we go through a considerable amount of garlic powder too.

Interesting. A good smash with the chef's knife and the peel pretty much falls off. I'm looking for fewer things to clean

if you use less than 4 head of garlic a month ...you either:

- don't cook much
- have only a couple of you at home (and that still doesn't work for us)

Users who are viewing this thread