What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

GB RB's (1 Viewer)

thayman

Footballguy
With all the Favre retirement speculation any news I ever hear out of GB is about Brett. Any homers heard anything about what GB plans on doing with it's RB situation??

This is a good question. Regardless of Favre retiring or not, the running game will have a larger influence on Green Bay's success.

Who is their new coach again?

they signed Mike McCarthy he was their QB coach back in 99, then from like 2000-04 he was the OC in NO, then the OC in SF last year

HC Mike McCarthy has hired Jeff Jagodzinski to be his offensive coordinator. Jagodzinski was the Packers TE coach from 1999-2003. He was the Falcons TE coach in 2004 and their offensive line coach in 2005. Jagodzinski worked with Alex Gibbs in Atlanta and has been running a zone blocking scheme similar to the system utilized in Denver. Over the past two seasons the Atlanta Falcons have lead the league in rushing with a combined 5,218 yards, 4.9 YPCA and 37 touchdowns. I think the hiring of Jeff Jagodzinski will have a positive effect on the Packers running game. I would think Samkon Gado will have the first crack at the starting RB gig.

:banned:

Last edited by a moderator:
As a Packer fan I've been thinking about this and, this is just a guess, I don't think either Green or Davenport will be back next season. Gado will get some kind of shot and it is possible they will draft someone, or sign a low priced FA (who could turn out to be Ahman or Najeh in the current RB market), but I don't see bringing either current Packer FA RB back as a priority for this team.

But the real answer is right now no one knows given the uncertainty of the Packer FA backs (injures), the uncertainty of Brett's situation, and the early point in the offseason.

Pure speculation -- maybe MoMo given Ted Thompson's Seattle connection?

As a Packer fan I've been thinking about this and, this is just a guess, I don't think either Green or Davenport will be back next season. Gado will get some kind of shot and it is possible they will draft someone, or sign a low priced FA (who could turn out to be Ahman or Najeh in the current RB market), but I don't see bringing either current Packer FA RB back as a priority for this team.

But the real answer is right now no one knows given the uncertainty of the Packer FA backs (injures), the uncertainty of Brett's situation, and the early point in the offseason.
You may be right. I don't think the PAckers know what's going to happen yet either. Two factors that will help determine what they do is Favre and Green. If they decide they have a shot at the playoffs then we're probably looking at Favre returning anf that's more likely to lead to a Green deal I would think. Clearly they don't see Green as anything more than short term solution and only if Green is willing to accept a lower deal will that even happen.With that said, I ecpect GAdo to be in the mix. He looked tto good for them to not give him a serious look. I coule very easily see a RBBC with Green, Gado and 1 other guy (Davenport, Fisher, FA or draft) running together to start. If someone gets hot they might ride that train out, who knows?

If Gado does well in camp and continues to improve then I fully expect him to be a serious threat to be a long term solution. He needs to work on his blocking, blitz pick up and fumbling in order to do what many consider would be enough to be the FT back.

You may be right. I don't think the PAckers know what's going to happen yet either. Two factors that will help determine what they do is Favre and Green. If they decide they have a shot at the playoffs then we're probably looking at Favre returning anf that's more likely to lead to a Green deal I would think. Clearly they don't see Green as anything more than short term solution and only if Green is willing to accept a lower deal will that even happen.

With that said, I ecpect GAdo to be in the mix. He looked tto good for them to not give him a serious look. I coule very easily see a RBBC with Green, Gado and 1 other guy (Davenport, Fisher, FA or draft) running together to start. If someone gets hot they might ride that train out, who knows?

If Gado does well in camp and continues to improve then I fully expect him to be a serious threat to be a long term solution. He needs to work on his blocking, blitz pick up and fumbling in order to do what many consider would be enough to be the FT back.
The thing is if I'm Ted Thompson, besides being much weathlier and happy with my job, I just can't see hooking my wagon up to Green, even in the short term. Green is getting old, has had declining production and is coming off a pretty serious injury. Sure, if he's cheap then they might see bringing him back as a no risk proposition (and he could be given the quality and quantity of FA RBs).Davenport certainly seemed like he was sliding right in to the Packer RB successor but again as a GM in the second year of your contract do you want to trust that relatively untested Davenport will be the answer or do you want to make your own judgement and bring in your guy -- whoever that is. Similar to Ahman, I would think if the Packers resign Najeh it will be an incentive laden deal.

Gado's performance and contract make him the only sure thing -- and that to get a shot.

I'd love to see Gado in the starting role. Other than the fact that I am a Gado owner, I love his story, and his attitude, he seems to really appreciate his opportunity. And seems like a classy kid

Gado also has experience from college in the zone-blocking scheme. There's rumors that the Packers are interested in Brian Calhoun as well.

I'd imagine that GB's RB situation, fantasy wise, will be more about what they do with the O-Line then what RB carries the ball. Zoneblocking seems to make decent RB's into pro-bowlers, but the interior O-Line of Green Bay is in total chaos and until that is shored up, I'm not sure any RB will be effective.

Zoneblocking seems to make decent RB's into pro-bowlers, but the interior O-Line of Green Bay is in total chaos and until that is shored up, I'm not sure any RB will be effective.
Gado was pretty effective last season so if Thompson makes any upgrades at all to the offensive line -- and he damn well better -- whoever is starting at RB has a chance to have a good year. That's assuming Favre returns. If Favre retires, it could be a long year for everyone associated with the Green Bay offense.Back to the running game, the Packers have the following options:

1. Re-sign Green. I'm not in favor of this to be honest. I think it's time to cut the ties and move on. However, if the Packers do not draft a RB early re-signing Green becomes a viable option. His rehab could extend into the summer which would limit his market value significantly. Combine that with a surplus of available RBs and Green may have a difficult time finding a team that's interested in him. It's possible he could take a 1- or 2-year deal from the Packers and try to rebuild his rep.

2. Re-sign Davenport. I see no reason why the Packers should even consider this. Davenport isn't a bad talent but he's constantly hurt and Gado's emergence has made him expendable. I'd let him walk.

3. Draft a RB in the first three rounds. This is what I hope Thompson does. There have been rumors the Packers like White and Calhoun so it wouldn't be a surprise to see them make a move on the first day to draft their RB of the future. If they do this, Ahman Green almost certainly won't be re-signed, even if nobody else wants him.

4. Sign a free agent. Thompson won't be a major player in free agency so guys like Edge and Alexander (despite his connection to Thompson) are out. Maybe guys like Chester Taylor or Morris or DeShaun Foster would be RBs Thompson would consider. If the Packers don't draft a RB early this is the route I would like to see them go. Sign a second- or third-tier RB and team him with Gado for a committee approach, assuming one of them didn't clearly win the job.

If I had to guess at this time, I'd say the Packers draft a RB early, re-sign Gado, add other RBs of lesser ability for depth and move on giving the highly drafted rookie and Gado a chance to win the job in camp.

I am not a GB expert, but I am not understanding all the opinions that Ahman Green is not a viable option. In 2004, he averaged 4.5 yds/carry for 1163 rushing yards and added 40 receptions for 275 yards. He scored 8 TDs with 1438 total yards.

Last year he did not start well, but GB O-Line was in a shambles to start the season and he got hurt early. What was his injury and does anyone have info on his recovery?

If the injury recovery is the problem, then I follw these opinions better, but otherwise I'm not sure I see why Gado is a better option than Green. Gado fumbled even more often than Green.

I am not a GB expert, but I am not understanding all the opinions that Ahman Green is not a viable option. In 2004, he averaged 4.5 yds/carry for 1163 rushing yards and added 40 receptions for 275 yards. He scored 8 TDs with 1438 total yards.

Last year he did not start well, but GB O-Line was in a shambles to start the season and he got hurt early. What was his injury and does anyone have info on his recovery?

If the injury recovery is the problem, then I follw these opinions better, but otherwise I'm not sure I see why Gado is a better option than Green. Gado fumbled even more often than Green.
Gado had one lost fumble last year.

I am not a GB expert, but I am not understanding all the opinions that Ahman Green is not a viable option.  In 2004, he averaged 4.5 yds/carry for 1163 rushing yards and added 40 receptions for 275 yards.  He scored 8 TDs with 1438 total yards.

Last year he did not start well, but GB O-Line was in a shambles to start the season and he got hurt early.  What was his injury and does anyone have info on his recovery?

If the injury recovery is the problem, then I follw these opinions better, but otherwise I'm not sure I see why Gado is a better option than Green.  Gado fumbled even more often than Green.
Gado had one lost fumble last year.
In a string of three games in November, he had 61 carries and fumbled four times, maybe he lost only one, but four in three consecutive games seemed to me to be a lot.

What was his injury and does anyone have info on his recovery?
Ahman Green has been suffering with tendonitis in his right knee as far back as college. He suffered a ruptured tendon in his right quadriceps on 10/23/2005. From what I have read, this type of injury takes at least 9 months to fully recover from and in some cases a good bit longer. Tough situation for a player who will become an unrestricted free agent on March 3. :banned:

Green is also 29. As has been well documented he's nearing the wrong age for RBs. Giving a long-term contract to a 29-year-old RB is not, IMO, a wise move, much less giving one to a RB coming off a major injury. I like Ahman Green. Ron Wolf flat-out stole him from Mike Holmgren and the Seahawks and I value everything Green has done for the Packers. He's been a warrior and a terrific RB. But I think it's time for the Packers to move on. Sometimes it's best to part ways with a player one year too soon as opposed to one year too late.

I've been hearing a lot of stuff about Gado being the RB of the future for this team. He fits perfectly into the new scheme with his cutback abilities.

You make a good point but the reason Gado is a better option likely comes down to money. Green will command more of it. Add the injury issue and Gado is more favorable. Earlier I stated I thought Gado needed to improve. Fumbles is one of the areas he needs to improve on. But remember when Green couldn't hold on? He has had his share of fumbles in the past. If he can correct them so can Gado.

I am not a GB expert, but I am not understanding all the opinions that Ahman Green is not a viable option.  In 2004, he averaged 4.5 yds/carry for 1163 rushing yards and added 40 receptions for 275 yards.  He scored 8 TDs with 1438 total yards.

Last year he did not start well, but GB O-Line was in a shambles to start the season and he got hurt early.  What was his injury and does anyone have info on his recovery?

If the injury recovery is the problem, then I follw these opinions better, but otherwise I'm not sure I see why Gado is a better option than Green.  Gado fumbled even more often than Green.
You make a good point but the reason Gado is a better option likely comes down to money. Green will command more of it. Add the injury issue and Gado is more favorable. Earlier I stated I thought Gado needed to improve. Fumbles is one of the areas he needs to improve on. But remember when Green couldn't hold on? He has had his share of fumbles in the past. If he can correct them so can Gado.
I realize that Green will want more money, but the climate for top $ contracts for RBs has diminshed recently and Green is coming off a big injury. Seems that he would be willing to take a one year minimum deal with incentives just to get a chance and GB would still be a likely spot, although Carolina might even be better for him.

Count me among those that think Gado can be a horse in this league. I saw him play several times last year and he looked outstanding early in the Ravens game where he injured his knee. He was looking like he was going to hang over 100 on them too.

The fumbling issue is a concern, but I think it is a bit overblown. He was under the microscope on this board last season and I think he got nitpicked a little.

As for what Green Bay will do, who knows. If I were them I'd re-sign Green if he was cheap enough (doubtful) or bring in another veteran for insurance. Maybe grab a back in the middle rounds of the draft. And I'd let Davenport walk because I think he's going to have chronic injury issues.

I realize that Green will want more money, but the climate for top $ contracts for RBs has diminshed recently and Green is coming off a big injury. Seems that he would be willing to take a one year minimum deal with incentives just to get a chance and GB would still be a likely spot, although Carolina might even be better for him.
I agree, that's the key. If he is willing he will likely be there. There is 1 possible snag however, I read that his thigh injury won't be ready until after training camp. That would mean teams are taking even more risk to sign him. I don't know if GB still wants him but I would think they would be more likely than others considering their relationship. That alos means Green will have no leverage at all. So he's probably going to have to take a less than market deal just to get a shot. Some guys refuse to do that felling like they're not getting enough respect.

What was Gado's injury that ended his season?
12/20/2005 Gado tore the medial collateral ligament in his right knee. The good news, however, is that Gado's injury does not require surgery to heal.

What is his recovery outlook?
"Head Coach Mike Sherman said he will miss three to six weeks. It's just rest and rehab for him," Sherman said.www.packers.com

Obviously I think Gado has proved that, at worse, he is a solid backup. I do not want the Pack breaking the bank for a running back, as we are not ready to compete for a playoff spot yet, and I think if Thompson does any spending, it should be on young free agents, entering their prime (hello LeCharles Bentley and Will Witherspoon). Other than that, I think bringing in veterans at low salaries is the way to go again.

On to the running back situation, I think gado is the only certain right now. I have always liked Davenport and Fisher, but these guys cannot stay healthy and should be jettisoned. I would not be opposed to the Pack re-signing Green to a 1 year contract for decent $$$ (much like Chester Taylor last year- 1 yr 4.5 mil). This way he is only on the books for 1 season. At his age, however, I doubt Green would take a 1 year deal, but the market might dictate the terms.

Obviously I think Gado has proved that, at worse, he is a solid backup. I do not want the Pack breaking the bank for a running back, as we are not ready to compete for a playoff spot yet, and I think if Thompson does any spending, it should be on young free agents, entering their prime (hello LeCharles Bentley and Will Witherspoon). Other than that, I think bringing in veterans at low salaries is the way to go again.

On to the running back situation, I think gado is the only certain right now. I have always liked Davenport and Fisher, but these guys cannot stay healthy and should be jettisoned. I would not be opposed to the Pack re-signing Green to a 1 year contract for decent $$$ (much like Chester Taylor last year- 1 yr 4.5 mil). This way he is only on the books for 1 season. At his age, however, I doubt Green would take a 1 year deal, but the market might dictate the terms.
Taylor's contract was one year for $3 million ($2 million in salary and $1 million in signing bonus) with $200,000 in incentives (which he did not achieve).

Obviously I think Gado has proved that, at worse, he is a solid backup.  I do not want the Pack breaking the bank for a running back, as we are not ready to compete for a playoff spot yet, and I think if Thompson does any spending, it should be on young free agents, entering their prime (hello LeCharles Bentley and Will Witherspoon).  Other than that, I think bringing in veterans at low salaries is the way to go again.

On to the running back situation, I think gado is the only certain right now.  I have always liked Davenport and Fisher, but these guys cannot stay healthy and should be jettisoned.  I would not be opposed to the Pack re-signing Green to a 1 year contract for decent $$$ (much like Chester Taylor last year- 1 yr 4.5 mil).  This way he is only on the books for 1 season.  At his age, however, I doubt Green would take a 1 year deal, but the market might dictate the terms.
Taylor's contract was one year for $3 million ($2 million in salary and $1 million in signing bonus) with $200,000 in incentives (which he did not achieve).
Sounds good. I wouldn't mind Ahmad signing a 1 year deal like that with maybe a little more incentives.

Samkon Gado's defiantly spectacular emergence as an undrafted rookie the last two months may have been the feel-good story of the Packers' atrocious 4-12 season in 2005.

Yet the newly appointed coaching staff apparently isn't sold on turning the featured-back role over to Gado from the get-go next season. Offensive coordinator Jeff Jagodzinski, one of first-year coach Mike McCarthy's more significant hires, indicated that Ahman Green stands to get the starting nod if the team re-signs the veteran free agent.

"If he's back, obviously it would probably be him. He's a Pro Bowl player," Jagodzinski said. "I'm not going to pigeon-hole anybody. That's Mike's decision on who's the guy. But I would imagine if he's back, as a Pro Bowl player, that's the kind of guy I'd want in there."

Whether or not quarterback Brett Favre returns for another season, both McCarthy and Jagodzinski have made it clear that a greater commitment will be made to the running game. Jagodzinski will rely heavily on a zone-blocking scheme that is a departure from the gap-oriented concepts run by the Packers offense in recent years under previous coach Mike Sherman.

Jagodzinski was Atlanta's offensive line coach last season, learning the intricacies of zone blocking from Alex Gibbs, who was a master innovator of the scheme for many years with Denver. Jagodzinski said the Falcons were exclusively a zone-blocking offense, which they parlayed into a league-high average of 159.1 rushing yards per game.

The Packers, in sharp contrast, ranked 30th with an average of 84.5 yards.

Only two years earlier, they set a franchise record by churning out 2,558 yards on the ground for a per-game clip of 159.9, good for third in the league. Jagodzinski saw the devastation wrought that season first-hand, his fifth and final year as tight ends coach in his first go-around with the Packers. The lasting image for Jagodzinski was Green running his way to the forefront of the storied team's annals with 1,883 yards, along with 15 touchdowns.

"I remember seeing him run down the sidelines. The guy's a stallion," Jagodzinski said.

One of the burning off-season questions for a team in transition is whether Green, who turned 29 on Feb. 16, can regain the formidable horsepower that escaped him last year in an injury-shortened season. He sustained a torn quadriceps tendon in just the sixth game and subsequently underwent surgery. Green is said to be ahead of schedule with his recovery, but there's a chance he won't be ready for the start of training camp in July. Jagodzinski, though, isn't fretting such a scenario.

"He was one of the hardest workers on the team," said Jagodzinski, harking back to his previous association with Green. "That's what's going to enable him to keep on playing."

While Green might have some drawing power as a four-time Pro Bowl player, the health concerns should play into the Packers' favor for retaining him. Green has expressed an interest in returning and probably will be open to accepting a one-year, minimum-salary contract laden with incentives.

Jagodzinski envisions a competition between Green and Gado for the lead role. Gado, a former practice-squad player out of Division I-AA Liberty, starred as the team's fifth starting back of last season before incurring a season-ending sprained knee in the third-to-last week.

Jagodzinski was on the opposite sideline when Gado made his presence felt with 103 yards and two touchdowns on the ground in the Packers' upset win at Atlanta on Nov. 13.

"He looked pretty dang good," Jagodzinski said. "This kid obviously has some ability."

(note the thoughts about Ahman at the beginning AND at the end)

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/packers/home.htm

Users who are viewing this thread