What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Gerald Hayes (1 Viewer)

Weiner Dog

Footballguy
Hayes' #1 competition heading for the MLB gig in '05 was supposed to be Orlando Huff. Well...it appears as if Huff has been working at OLB for the Cards, as opposed to MLB. This is a massive vote of confidence for Hayes.Cardinals | Huff Working at OLB - from www.KFFL.comTue, 26 Apr 2005 21:53:43 -0700AZCardinals.com reports Arizona Cardinals LB Orlando Huff, who has spent most of his career at middle linebacker, has been working at outside linebacker during the Cardinals' organized team activities.

I haven't quite gotten a feel on the Cardinals defense. They have a ton of LBs now with Dansby, Hayes, Huff, Blackstock, and Darling. Considering Huff signed for close to the minimum (800k per; 525k min) I am guessing that it was a depth signing. Right now I am guessing that it will look a little like this:SLB: Dansby/BlackstockMLB: Hayes/HuffWLB: Darling/HuffBut, with Denny Green I think it will all be an open competition in camp and anything could happen.

I haven't quite gotten a feel on the Cardinals defense. They have a ton of LBs now with Dansby, Hayes, Huff, Blackstock, and Darling. Considering Huff signed for close to the minimum (800k per; 525k min) I am guessing that it was a depth signing. Right now I am guessing that it will look a little like this:

SLB: Dansby/Blackstock

MLB: Hayes/Huff

WLB: Darling/Huff

But, with Denny Green I think it will all be an open competition in camp and anything could happen.
Don't forget Lance Mitchell as a backup. If he is able to regain his form from his Junior year he will provide solid depth and may have a future as the MLB in ARITom

I haven't quite gotten a feel on the Cardinals defense.  They have a ton of LBs now with Dansby, Hayes, Huff, Blackstock, and Darling.  Considering Huff signed for close to the minimum (800k per; 525k min) I am guessing that it was a depth signing.  Right now I am guessing that it will look a little like this:

SLB:  Dansby/Blackstock

MLB:  Hayes/Huff

WLB:  Darling/Huff

But, with Denny Green I think it will all be an open competition in camp and anything could happen.
Don't forget Lance Mitchell as a backup. If he is able to regain his form from his Junior year he will provide solid depth and may have a future as the MLB in ARITom
I agree with this. as a Hayes owner in gamebreakers, i was dismayed to see him land on arizona, especially with my steelers passing on him for goo wallace - not that im not happy with goo, but i think mitchell will the defensive SOD of 2005. at least hayes can move to the WLB when mitchell shows that all the teams that passed on him on the second day were fools.

...when mitchell shows that all the teams that passed on him on the second day were fools.
Mitchell, K. Morris, Crowder...it's mystifying to me how the Packers could have skipped over all of these guys. Not that it isn't entertaining watching Nick Barnett make tackles 6 yards from the LOS. :wall:

I am going out on a limb and predicting the next Lance Briggs (04 sleeper) on our hands - Gerald Hayes (05 sleeper) :ph34r: . I guarantee 100+ tackles from this guy and you will be able to get him relatively cheap as well. Write it down!RAPTURE :

Let the hype machine begin:Cardinals | Hayes to Remain at MLB - from www.KFFL.comMon, 2 May 2005 13:05:18 -0700Odeen Domingo and Kent Somers, of the Arizona Republic, report Arizona Cardinals LB Gerald Hayes will remain as the team's starting middle linebacker this season.RAPTURE

***BUMP***I just wanted to get the train rolling on this guy. He will be a monster in 05....I guarantee!RAPTURE

i agree completely that hayes will blow up this year... between him, dansby, mitchell, and blackstock, the cards have quite the young LB corps. My picks for the two LBs who are most likely to break out this year are Hayes and Daryl Smith, JAX.

i agree completely that hayes will blow up this year... between him, dansby, mitchell, and blackstock, the cards have quite the young LB corps.

My picks for the two LBs who are most likely to break out this year are Hayes and Daryl Smith, JAX.
Sorry but I have to disagree here. Look for Hayes to be exploited and for Mitchell to take over the job by mid-seasonTom

Hopefully you guys are right, as it would make my 52nd round selection in Zealots make me look like Einstein. :excited:

I beg to differ on FFChamp1 comment. I think a LB (Mitchell) drafted in the 5th round is unlikely to get a chance to start in his innaugural year. Being a player who was passed up roughly 150-160 times in the draft, you have to think he has some holes in his game. When you correlate Mitchell's skills or lackthereof in the NFL, he will hardly sniff the playing field for quite some time.Again, I predict promising things from this young man - Gerald Hayes. Bloom, I like your way of thinking and I do agree with the Daryl Smith comment. I just hope Daryl Smith would move from the strong-side to the weak-side and the Jags put A. Ayodele on the end. Again, this is wishful thinking but anything is possible when it comes to Defensive Coordinator Mike Smith.RAPTURE

ACL injury is why Mitchell slipped. Some feel he was a better prospect then Lehman before the injury. As you know it is usually the 2nd year before you regain form from ACL injury. Hearing Mitchell was close to being back to form at the end of last year. He has the skills. So what he was a 5th rounder, I beleive a guy named Zach Thomas was a 5th rounder also. If Arizona is sold on Hayes, why bring in Huff and draft Mitchell?Also hearing Smith will play the will this year.

GI Dawgs - You get O. Huff to start at Weak-Side.Cardinals | Huff to Assume Starting WLB Role - from www.KFFL.comMon, 2 May 2005 13:15:51 -0700Odeen Domingo and Kent Somers, of the Arizona Republic, report Arizona Cardinals LB Orlando Huff will be the team's starting weakside linebacker this season.You draft Lance Mitchell in the 5th round (value pick) because like you said - the man is coming off an ACL injury. I agree with you, Mitchell has potential but I don't think he will be a starter due to Gerald Hayes standing in his way.Last, but not least, you have Gerald Hayes the starter in the middle.Cardinals | Hayes to Remain at MLB - from www.KFFL.comMon, 2 May 2005 13:05:18 -0700Odeen Domingo and Kent Somers, of the Arizona Republic, report Arizona Cardinals LB Gerald Hayes will remain as the team's starting middle linebacker this season.I'll say it again, Gerald Hayes will be a big-time player and scorer for leagues who emphasize on points/tackle. RAPTURE

If Hayes starts he will most definatley put up good numbers. Most likely a 2 down backer, unless his coverage skills improve significantly. Lets see how the local sports writers feel about the LB spots in mid August. Though it all may work out the way they say, IMO way too early to tell. For what ever its worth, Hayes is not one of Green's picks.

I beg to differ on FFChamp1 comment. I think a LB (Mitchell) drafted in the 5th round is unlikely to get a chance to start in his innaugural year. Being a player who was passed up roughly 150-160 times in the draft, you have to think he has some holes in his game. When you correlate Mitchell's skills or lackthereof in the NFL, he will hardly sniff the playing field for quite some time.

Again, I predict promising things from this young man - Gerald Hayes. Bloom, I like your way of thinking and I do agree with the Daryl Smith comment. I just hope Daryl Smith would move from the strong-side to the weak-side and the Jags put A. Ayodele on the end. Again, this is wishful thinking but anything is possible when it comes to Defensive Coordinator Mike Smith.

RAPTURE
Have you watched Mitchell play much?

I beg to differ on FFChamp1 comment.  I think a LB (Mitchell) drafted in the 5th round is unlikely to get a chance to start in his innaugural year.  Being a player who was passed up roughly 150-160 times in the draft, you have to think he has some holes in his game.  When you correlate Mitchell's skills or lackthereof in the NFL, he will hardly sniff the playing field for quite some time.

Again, I predict promising things from this young man - Gerald Hayes.  Bloom, I like your way of thinking and I do agree with the Daryl Smith comment.  I just hope Daryl Smith would move from the strong-side to the weak-side and the Jags put A. Ayodele on the end.  Again, this is wishful thinking but anything is possible when it comes to Defensive Coordinator Mike Smith.

RAPTURE
Daryl Smith has been moved to WLB, to tired to look for the link. I am not sure why they would switch formats since the played a LOLB and a ROLB last year.As far as Mitchell, he was the top LB in the country before his injury. He will be there at some point this year. It is sorta funny that people are annointing Hayes as the next great MLB. All he had to do the last TWO years was beat out a VERY BAD Ron McKinnon and he could not do that. Now he is going to be a star?

We need football to begin

There are always the sleeper or two who surfaces every year at the LB position. In 03 it was D. Thornton and in 04 it was L. Briggs & A. Pierce. This year I am going out on a limb and predicting G. Hayes to be that person who keeps the trend alive. I did like GI Dawgs statement about Hayes not being drafted by Dennis Green. I am a true believer of new coaches coming onto a team and playing the players they picked up through free agency and the draft. BUT....by Dennis Green coming out in early May and announcing Gerald Hayes as the starting MLB, I think it is a positive step in the right direction.RAPTURE

There are always the sleeper or two who surfaces every year at the LB position. In 03 it was D. Thornton and in 04 it was L. Briggs & A. Pierce. This year I am going out on a limb and predicting G. Hayes to be that person who keeps the trend alive.

I did like GI Dawgs statement about Hayes not being drafted by Dennis Green. I am a true believer of new coaches coming onto a team and playing the players they picked up through free agency and the draft. BUT....by Dennis Green coming out in early May and announcing Gerald Hayes as the starting MLB, I think it is a positive step in the right direction.

RAPTURE
All very good points. HE did the same last year with Emmitt. I just am amazed as to why this team to Blackstock, They did not need another one dimensional LB. Dansby right now is the real deal but is still very raw. The rest will struggle in the shorterm as a unit.Tom

I beg to differ on FFChamp1 comment.  I think a LB (Mitchell) drafted in the 5th round is unlikely to get a chance to start in his innaugural year.  Being a player who was passed up roughly 150-160 times in the draft, you have to think he has some holes in his game.  When you correlate Mitchell's skills or lackthereof in the NFL, he will hardly sniff the playing field for quite some time.

Again, I predict promising things from this young man - Gerald Hayes.  Bloom, I like your way of thinking and I do agree with the Daryl Smith comment.  I just hope Daryl Smith would move from the strong-side to the weak-side and the Jags put A. Ayodele on the end.  Again, this is wishful thinking but anything is possible when it comes to Defensive Coordinator Mike Smith.

RAPTURE
Daryl Smith has been moved to WLB, to tired to look for the link. I am not sure why they would switch formats since the played a LOLB and a ROLB last year.As far as Mitchell, he was the top LB in the country before his injury. He will be there at some point this year. It is sorta funny that people are annointing Hayes as the next great MLB. All he had to do the last TWO years was beat out a VERY BAD Ron McKinnon and he could not do that. Now he is going to be a star?

Wonder if this puts Akinola at SLB or DE like they threatened last year.

RAPTURE

Wonder if this puts Akinola at SLB or DE like they threatened last year.
Actually what the report said was that it put him at SLB and in the same report they stated they were looking for a better option. If I remember correctly the report was before the draft.Tom

Excuse my ignorance, but what happened to Darling? I thought he was the starting WLB? If he isn't starting, I need to drop him from my keeper league team.

I would take anything Green says too seroius. He was really talking up McCown last year. And as nortobc mentioned what happened to Darling. Green considered him his best LB last year. Denny will keep ya guessing, but hey...it gives ups something to debate to pass the time.

I would take anything Green says too seroius. He was really talking up McCown last year. And as nortobc mentioned what happened to Darling. Green considered him his best LB last year. Denny will keep ya guessing, but hey...it gives ups something to debate to pass the time.
Not sure what you said here. Green, last year did name McCown and Emmitt the starters. Lo and behold, they did. I take his naming of the LB situation as being the way it is.

I would take anything Green says too seroius.  He was really talking up McCown last year.  And as nortobc mentioned what happened to Darling.  Green considered him his best LB last year.  Denny will keep ya guessing, but hey...it gives ups something to debate to pass the time.
Not sure what you said here. Green, last year did name McCown and Emmitt the starters. Lo and behold, they did. I take his naming of the LB situation as being the way it is.
He also told anyone who would listen that they'd take Larry Fitzgerald, then did.

I don't know where Dennis Green ever got the reputation of being a liar. What, because the of the RB carosel in Minny? Well, injuries had more to do with that than him going against his word.I have found green to be one of the more "matter of fact" people in the NFL and tells it like it is.

I would take anything Green says too seroius.  He was really talking up McCown last year.  And as nortobc mentioned what happened to Darling.  Green considered him his best LB last year.  Denny will keep ya guessing, but hey...it gives ups something to debate to pass the time.
He also told anyone who would listen that they'd take Larry Fitzgerald, then did.
True, but that was more of the low-risk, "no sht" type of comment, not like this.

True, but that was more of the low-risk, "no sht" type of comment, not like this.IMO, naming Emmitt the starter was a bit more than a "no sht" comment, as I'd venture 95% of FF players had tabbed Shipp the starter hands down. Shipp later on happened to suffer his season ending injury. "no sht"

I didn't say anything about McCown starting, I said talking him up. Said nothing of Emmitt, but he did talk Shipp up before naming Emmitt the starter. I'm not bashing Green, I just take what he says with a grain of salt.

Users who are viewing this thread