What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Getting in shape SUCKS (1 Viewer)

Honestly, I don't think a keto diet is a good place to start for a 450lb guy looking to lose weight. That's too extreme for a guy like him, imo.
Yeah, I would consult a doctor before starting any complicated diet or exercise plan.

Honestly, I don't think a keto diet is a good place to start for a 450lb guy looking to lose weight. That's too extreme for a guy like him, imo.
actually, over in the keto forum on reddit, many of the people that do it are his size. Mostly because it helps with food cravings. Many doctors seems to be putting folks on Keto and other low carb diets as well because it helps with diabetes and heart disease. But i would agree, he should definitely talk with his doctor first. And i would honestly ease into it. Start but just lowing the carbs to maybe 200g a day. Then drop to 100g, then 50g then 25g.

Agreed. Do the simpler stuff first.

as already mentioned, no soda. If you like beer keep it to one or two only on the weekends, and lite. Whisky is the way to go, half a shot with water for social events.

I find it really hard to go extreme low carb. Cutting down helps for sure. If a diet won't let me eat an apple, it's not the diet for me.

actually, over in the keto forum on reddit, many of the people that do it are his size. Mostly because it helps with food cravings. Many doctors seems to be putting folks on Keto and other low carb diets as well because it helps with diabetes and heart disease. But i would agree, he should definitely talk with his doctor first. And i would honestly ease into it. Start but just lowing the carbs to maybe 200g a day. Then drop to 100g, then 50g then 25g.
What he said.

I'm a big believer in KETO but I'll explain why I'm not doing it any more. I just don't find it sustainable for the long haul - meaning, I used it to kickstart early on but dropped it not too long in to my efforts. (Started at 240 - down to 195). Here are my reasons why I stopped doing it:

- I felt like I was losing too fast which made me think I was probably losing muscle as well as fat

- I didn't think I was eating healthy - now this can be contentious as I wasn't making a huge effort to eat healthy but rather just making sure I cut out all the carbs.

- To go along with that I wanted something that I could say is my new all the time diet - not a diet that I would stop at some point. There's just no way I could eat KETO all the time, especially as I get closer to my goal weight. I felt if I did all that work and then changed what I was eating pretty drastically that I would set myself up for failure.

Now all of these may just be a me problem and not a problem with KETO per se. I just wanted to give myself the best shot at losing the weight and keeping it off forever. For Donny it may be a great program to start with - some people find it easy to stick to KETO while still eating bad stuff.

I'm a big believer in KETO but I'll explain why I'm not doing it any more. I just don't find it sustainable for the long haul - meaning, I used it to kickstart early on but dropped it not too long in to my efforts. (Started at 240 - down to 195). Here are my reasons why I stopped doing it:

- I felt like I was losing too fast which made me think I was probably losing muscle as well as fat

- I didn't think I was eating healthy - now this can be contentious as I wasn't making a huge effort to eat healthy but rather just making sure I cut out all the carbs.

- To go along with that I wanted something that I could say is my new all the time diet - not a diet that I would stop at some point. There's just no way I could eat KETO all the time, especially as I get closer to my goal weight. I felt if I did all that work and then changed what I was eating pretty drastically that I would set myself up for failure.

Now all of these may just be a me problem and not a problem with KETO per se. I just wanted to give myself the best shot at losing the weight and keeping it off forever. For Donny it may be a great program to start with - some people find it easy to stick to KETO while still eating bad stuff.
Yea i do see people that take the whole low carb/high fat to an extreme, to where it doesnt become healthy. Now losing fat whilst gaining muscle is a challenge on any diet. But mostly because to gain muscle you need to have a calorie surplus and to lose fat you need to have a caloric deficit. Most reccomend losing the fat first then bulking, or carb cycling to accomplish this. But nothing wrong with not doing keto. I think everyone just has to find what works for them.

It does suck trying to stay in shape and eating right (the latter more than the former IMO).

But you know what doesn't suck? Having to buy new jeans and having people ask you how much weight you have lost. It feels ####### fantastic and just motivates you to continue eating well and staying active.
Hehe I read your first sentence and said to myself, "But you know what doesn't suck?" and I answered "Getting to see my daughters longer and not croaking on them while they are still young..."

And reading through this thread, I've seen several diets... some I even consider a bit "extreme" (like the fasting one). I think I will try and watch the carbs and exercise more first and see if there are results before I go that far...

Ok, after a bit of experimentation this is what worked for me (dropped 50 lbs in 9 months @38 yrs/old; 207 lb to 157 lb):

Consume 2300-2700 cal 5 days/wk. Consume

1200 cal one day/wk and 4000 cal one

day/wk. It is critical to mix these fast/overload days at different points as the calendar rolls by (ie. Switch days). Also, I generally "fast" on day where I do not work out. Conversely, I "overload" on days when I train a bit heavier or with greater intensity.

Consume 150-200g of protein/day and limit carb intake to 100g.

I utilize resistance/weight when training.

No cardio/no abdominal work. I work out every other day which translates to 3-4 workouts/wk.

Please excuse the fragmented nature of this post. I'm a terrible typist on a touch screen.

If interested I can provide more specificity regarding diet/workout. I could also provide a picture of my results thus far but i'm having a tough time finding editing options on fbg mobile
Nice work. Are you still dating this girl?
Yeah...no.

She made the "shark move" years ago. Last time I looked her up on the web, I stumbled across her blog about organic diapers and natural childbirth.

No thanks. I'm good

Last edited by a moderator:
Donnie,

If you think about it, your body will burn the fat for you if you just let it. You're burning calories every single day you're alive, all you have to do is watch the input. So a 6'7" dude who weighs 450 lbs can lose 150 lbs in a single year just by eating 2.000 calories per day. Forget about paleo or keto, just eat a balanced and nutritious diet that totals 2,000 calories and in a year you'll be down to 300. I bet 300 big ones looks pretty damn good on a 6'7 frame. After that if you can drop another 50 over the course of 6 months you're good to go!

If you want to know how I got to the 150lb number, I just used the calculator link someone posted above. According to the stats, a 6'7 male who weighs 450 has a BMR of about 3,000 calories. When you add the sedentary lifestyle it goes up to 3,600 per day. Obviously if you exercise more the number goes up.

3,600 - 2,000 = 1,600 calories BURNT per day.

1600 x 365 = 584,000 calories BURNT PER YEAR

584,000 / 3,500 (calories in 1 lb) = 166 LBS LOST IN ONE YEAR

Last edited by a moderator:
Even if you aren't sure what you want to do diet/exercise wise. A couple simple things you can while you decide that will get you on the right path:

1. Cut out the pop. Try tea, coffee or that alternative an earlier poster suggested if you need caffeine. Either way, drink plenty of water.

2. Cut out the beer. Try a whiskey neat/rocks (don't turn into Don Draper though) if you really feel the need to have a social drink.

3. Go for a daily walk. 30-60 mins, whatever you can handle.

4. Start throwing out all the empty calorie items you have: Oreos, Doritos, etc. Besides being empty calories, they are also the kind of items you are most likely to binge on.

5. Make getting a good nights sleep a priority. A lack of sleep leads to stress which leads to poor decisions.

Just doing that for a few weeks will start to improve your health.
You're getting a lot of advice here Donny, but I would suggest the above is the best. Just put one foot in front of the other, and maybe invest a little time with an app or a spreadsheet to log your activity. #4 will probably make or break your goals.

Donnie,

If you think about it, your body will burn the fat for you if you just let it. You're burning calories every single day you're alive, all you have to do is watch the input. So a 6'7" dude who weighs 450 lbs can lose 150 lbs in a single year just by eating 2.000 calories per day. Forget about paleo or keto, just eat a balanced and nutritious diet that totals 2,000 calories and in a year you'll be down to 300. I bet 300 big ones looks pretty damn good on a 6'7 frame. After that if you can drop another 50 over the course of 6 months you're good to go!

If you want to know how I got to the 150lb number, I just used the calculator link someone posted above. According to the stats, a 6'7 male who weighs 450 has a BMR of about 3,000 calories. When you add the sedentary lifestyle it goes up to 3,600 per day. Obviously if you exercise more the number goes up.

3,600 - 2,000 = 1,600 calories BURNT per day.

1600 x 365 = 584,000 calories BURNT PER YEAR

584,000 / 3,500 (calories in 1 lb) = 166 LBS LOST IN ONE YEAR
This is absolutely true. But a paleo diet is much easier to follow and feel satiated while maintaining a caloric deficit. It's also good for insulin regulation. I would encourage anyone who wants to lose body fat to try a reduced-carb diet and avoid processed sugars and carbs for a month. See how you feel.

Really appreciate all the feedback in here. I'm definitely going to speak with my doctor, and probably a nutritionist as well, before making any drastic changes to my diet. The paleo plan sounds good, but the keto diet is appealing too - I'm curious to see what they have to say about them. Regardless of what direction I go in, I know that eating right is only half the equation - regular exercise is essential, and I've already got a couple ideas about addressing that too. Hopefully I can find an activity that I really enjoy, so it'll be easier to incorporate it into my daily routine.

Thanks again for the advice. I'll be sure to post again once I've got some actual progress under my belt.

It does suck trying to stay in shape and eating right (the latter more than the former IMO).

But you know what doesn't suck? Having to buy new jeans and having people ask you how much weight you have lost. It feels ####### fantastic and just motivates you to continue eating well and staying active.
Hehe I read your first sentence and said to myself, "But you know what doesn't suck?" and I answered "Getting to see my daughters longer and not croaking on them while they are still young..."
Yeah, I'm still doing the bachelor thing but I'm sure having kids would cause extra motiviation.

Ok, after a bit of experimentation this is what worked for me (dropped 50 lbs in 9 months @38 yrs/old; 207 lb to 157 lb):

day/wk. It is critical to mix these fast/overload days at different points as the calendar rolls by (ie. Switch days). Also, I generally "fast" on day where I do not work out. Conversely, I "overload" on days when I train a bit heavier or with greater intensity.

No cardio/no abdominal work. I work out every other day which translates to 3-4 workouts/wk.

Please excuse the fragmented nature of this post. I'm a terrible typist on a touch screen.

If interested I can provide more specificity regarding diet/workout. I could also provide a picture of my results thus far but i'm having a tough time finding editing options on fbg mobile
hi cr,

awesome results man.

would love to see a sample workout.

also, I know you probably just posted cliff notes here, but if you are taking for an example 200 grams protein and limiting carbs to 100, you're at 1200 calories. are you getting the rest of your calories from fat, meaning 133-300 grams of fat a day?

or are you keeping carbs under 100 on non training days and cycling them higher on lifting days.

again, great results man. really interested to hear more.
For fat intake, keep it around 100g (+/- 25g).

Sorry, I didn't really put my diet in it's proper context. The numbers above are my maintenance regiment

Weight/fat loss was my initial priority, so I needed to train while in a caloric deficit. My RMR was roughly 2000 calories when I started out, so my target intake was around 1600 calories/day. With increased activity and training intensity, one can expect to adjust nutritional intake. Once I approached my target weight, the numbers in my initial post represent an accurate model for my nutritional needs (maintenance/increase muscle mass).

*I do cycle carbs higher on lifting days. Especially that one "overload" day in which I consume 4kcal. However, on that particular day I'm not as concerned about "clean" nutrition. I use that day to sort of clear the baffles and indulge. For instance,if I'm craving pizza, I eat a pizza. A whole pizza. If I want ice cream, I eat a quart. If I want a box of Oreos, I smash an entire box.

I'll fill you in on the routine as soon as I have an opportunity to sit down and get into comprehensive detail. But in the beginning it was push ups, pull ups, and dips.. Once I was able to sort of master those movements (700 push ups, 150 pull ups, 300 dips) I transitioned to steel.

One session.

For pushups I started with 20 set "all the way down" (20=1 set,19=1 set,....2=1 set,1). Starting at 37 gets you 693.

Same deal with pull ups. I think 7 was my max. I worked my progressions down to zero and then I would climb the ladder as far as I could go up.

Chest Rockwell said:

hi cr,awesome results man.

would love to see a sample workout.

also, I know you probably just posted cliff notes here, but if you are taking for an example 200 grams protein and limiting carbs to 100, you're at 1200 calories. are you getting the rest of your calories from fat, meaning 133-300 grams of fat a day?

or are you keeping carbs under 100 on non training days and cycling them higher on lifting days.

again, great results man. really interested to hear more.
For fat intake, keep it around 100g (+/- 25g).Sorry, I didn't really put my diet in it's proper context. The numbers above are my maintenance regiment

Weight/fat loss was my initial priority, so I needed to train while in a caloric deficit. My RMR was roughly 2000 calories when I started out, so my target intake was around 1600 calories/day. With increased activity and training intensity, one can expect to adjust nutritional intake. Once I approached my target weight, the numbers in my initial post represent an accurate model for my nutritional needs (maintenance/increase muscle mass).

*I do cycle carbs higher on lifting days. Especially that one "overload" day in which I consume 4kcal. However, on that particular day I'm not as concerned about "clean" nutrition. I use that day to sort of clear the baffles and indulge. For instance,if I'm craving pizza, I eat a pizza. A whole pizza. If I want ice cream, I eat a quart. If I want a box of Oreos, I smash an entire box.

I'll fill you in on the routine as soon as I have an opportunity to sit down and get into comprehensive detail. But in the beginning it was push ups, pull ups, and dips.. Once I was able to sort of master those movements (700 push ups, 150 pull ups, 300 dips) I transitioned to steel.
Thanks for getting back to me cr. On vacation now but really want to pick your brain more soon. Gonna throw out what I was doing and Hope for your help as I would love to get the results you've got.

For sure.

Over the past year I have tried just about everything.

P90x, plyometrics, running, HIIT, weightlifting (high rep/low resistance,5x5,60 set marathon sessions), etc.

Resistance training(25-35 sets...no more) w/solid diet w/carb cycle/fast day was so much more effective than any other approach...for me. As always, YMMV.

The real kicker is that this is much easier than any of that other stuff. I don't work that hard at this. I did in the beginning. Not anymore.

Here's where I am currently...

Not much overweight but also not in my preferred condition (yeesh, looked at some old pictures from a decade ago). While I'd like to drop about 15 lbs, I'm mostly set on gaining that energy and confidence again. What I want to avoid is the overcommitment burnout from starting a new routine, so I'm just commiting to 3 days a week with about 45 minute workouts. Anyone have a very simple routine of recommended exercises with nothing more than body weight and maybe a few kettle bells?

@Donny - think permanent lifestyle, not diet. Cut the carbs and sugar, get moving if you're not already. Weight should fall off with the calorie levels mentioned above.

slackjawedyokel said:

Not much overweight but also not in my preferred condition (yeesh, looked at some old pictures from a decade ago). While I'd like to drop about 15 lbs, I'm mostly set on gaining that energy and confidence again. What I want to avoid is the overcommitment burnout from starting a new routine, so I'm just commiting to 3 days a week with about 45 minute workouts. Anyone have a very simple routine of recommended exercises with nothing more than body weight and maybe a few kettle bells?
I mean, you can get started with basic stuff like pushups, situps and pullups every day. That alone will start to get your core in shape. When i started my diet, thats all i did for the first month. Then, once you do that consistently and know your committed, you can mix in some dumbells and such. I do all my weight lifting with dumbbells(biceps, triceps, chest and back). You could also go the route of P90x or some of those other systems. I think P90x uses body weight and resistance bands if i recall.

I mean, you can get started with basic stuff like pushups, situps and pullups every day. That alone will start to get your core in shape. When i started my diet, thats all i did for the first month. Then, once you do that consistently and know your committed, you can mix in some dumbells and such. I do all my weight lifting with dumbbells(biceps, triceps, chest and back). You could also go the route of P90x or some of those other systems. I think P90x uses body weight and resistance bands if i recall.
That's where I am, anywhere from 15-20 pounds and I'll be feeling alot better, energy, confidence etc.

I eat a breakfast bar every morning at my desk

Lunch consists of a 100 calorie sandwhich thin, with peanut butter, a yogurt, a piece of fruit and a 220 calorie pack of flavored almonds.

Dinner is where I have my problems. Currently I've been making premade meals and throwing them in the fridge (chicken, beans, brown rice)

However weekends, Friday, Saturday and Sunday I find myself crushing food.

Users who are viewing this thread