What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ghostbusters: Afterlife (1 Viewer)

A few thoughts/comments:

1.  The Stranger Things kid....does he ever stop growing?  He'll be 7 foot next year.

2.  Will there be backlash because the female ghostbusters don't show up?  Or do they maybe give an explanation in the movie?

3.  Hi-C made an ecto cooler drink back in the day.  It was really good.

4.  Meh.

A few thoughts/comments:

1.  The Stranger Things kid....does he ever stop growing?  He'll be 7 foot next year.

2.  Will there be backlash because the female ghostbusters don't show up?  Or do they maybe give an explanation in the movie?

3.  Hi-C made an ecto cooler drink back in the day.  It was really good.

4.  Meh.
1. He is a kid in puberty.

2. There will be backlash from the handful of agenda driven monsters that still hold up that movie but otherwise it is not going to be referenced at all. They made their movie outside of the main universe. So it can stay there. 

3. Bringing that back would be a great promo since this looks like a kids movie. 

4. Smoo

I feel like this is sarcasm on your part, but he's one of my favorite comedic actors.  Him and Steve Carrell.  Which is why Dinner for Schmucks was so hilarious to me.  
Definitely sarcasm. Not that I don't like Paul Rudd's work, just that like Steve Carrell before him, I think we pretty much know his bag of tricks by now and right or wrong sets my expectations, in that I'm going to see Paul Rudd doing Paul Rudd things.

FWIW, I did chuckle at the 'Remember that Summer when we died under a desk?' line.

The positive is that I like that vein of humor, the negative is that I feel we've been getting so much of it lately that it's going to get unfunny quickly.

Looks completely terrible. Shocked to see people are excited for it. 
I'd like to insert some sort of large commentary on the intelligence of people who continue to waste money on moribund movie franchises that have been played to death, but then I recall that was me on my couch last night watching Below Deck Season 3, so.......enjoy Ghostbuster's 7 everybody?

When they released the female movie a few years back, they re-released Ecto Cooler in all its glory. A buddy and I bought we'll call it SEVERAL cases of the stuff. Still have a bunch of it in the spare fridge and break them out from time to time. Goes great with a little vodka too

You say you like intelligent movies yet your excited for a movie with the line “your dad never mentioned this to you” in it. Ok. 
Lol when did I ever say I like intelligent movies. Most movies ar dumb, mindless vehicles to drive people to watch them.

I like entertaining movies. Movies that treat the source material with respect. This looks like a great film to take my kids to see that I can enjoy as well. It is about something I loved as a kid but it has a new story to it. They didn't just try to go through the same beats as the original but change the people delivering it. They're actually writing something new.

It may still be #### but I'm intrigued and will be there opening night for this. 

Watching the trailer when I get home. The first teaser already hooked me, so I'm in on this as well.

Lol when did I ever say I like intelligent movies. Most movies ar dumb, mindless vehicles to drive people to watch them.

I like entertaining movies. Movies that treat the source material with respect. This looks like a great film to take my kids to see that I can enjoy as well. It is about something I loved as a kid but it has a new story to it. They didn't just try to go through the same beats as the original but change the people delivering it. They're actually writing something new.

It may still be #### but I'm intrigued and will be there opening night for this. 
Agreed. Looks interesting and makes me interested in figuring out the story the movie will present. I think we can surmise-

The main kids are Egon's grandkids (the girl seems to be affecting his mannerisms and figures out some kind of puzzle to the hidden something). Will be awesome if Annie Potts makes the movie as Grandma.

The OG Ghostbusters did too good a job busting ghosts. Rudd says no one as seen any in 30 years. Probably forced them into retirement.

Unsafe to store the captured ghosts in the city so Egon puts them in the abandoned coal mine.

Containment unit is breaking down from neglect, or the as of yet unseen bad guy on the movie is trying to get them freed for shenanigans.

Kids discover the equipment, slowly learn how to use it.

Kids get in over the heads. Remaining Ghostbusters will show up to save Egon's grandkids/the world, then pass the torch to the kids.

Yeah, I'm in

Just watched it. It looks like a lot of fun. Just hearing that 3 piano note 30 seconds in got me hooked all over again.

One could argue (I’d really rather not again) the bolded is what they did with last Jedi and you hated it. 

I’ll end up seeing it. I liked the originals and the all-girl one fine enough and I loooooove Carrie Coon so I’ll give it a go. Trailer looks awful to me though. 

One could argue (I’d really rather not again) the bolded is what they did with last Jedi and you hated it. 

I’ll end up seeing it. I liked the originals and the all-girl one fine enough and I loooooove Carrie Coon so I’ll give it a go. Trailer looks awful to me though. 
"Treated source material with respect." That's the difference.  And in the end, didn't really change much of the story. Just change the way they presented it and who did what while crapping all over what came before it. 

But I digress.

This looks like it can be really cool. Will see it for sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
You say you like intelligent movies yet your excited for a movie with the line “your dad never mentioned this to you” in it. Ok. 
No offense Cappy, but you’re in the Boba Fett thread defending the Mandalorian with gusto. It’s fun and all but holy heavens that’s not a good show.  Pick a side. 

No offense Cappy, but you’re in the Boba Fett thread defending the Mandalorian with gusto. It’s fun and all but holy heavens that’s not a good show.  Pick a side. 
The only offense I’m taking is you apparently didn’t read what I wrote and you think one post is ‘gusto’. I literally called it dumb  fun. 

The show is fun. It’s meant to be a western serial with a heavy wink to Star Wars nostalgia. It’s not supposed to be Breaking Bad or The Leftovers. I know we live in this golden age of tv but sometimes a show can just be dumb fun imo. “

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m not sure you can credibly defend the Mandalorian and then attack this ghostbuster movie trailer. 

I’m not sure you can credibly defend the Mandalorian and then attack this ghostbuster movie trailer. 
Calling a show dumb fun is credibly defending it now huh. Stop moving the target to fit an argument that is only revolving around in your head. 

Maybe I am just too cynical, but reading the bolded I feel like I watched a different trailer than you.  This looks just like every other sequel/reboot lately that spins the gender roles, and makes sure to check off the the stuff people "need" to see from the original.  Ecto 1? Check.  Ghost trap? Check?  the old Uniforms?  Check.   Maybe Slimer?  Check.   

I am definitely not going to argue that it could be a fun movie to see with your kids, but I am not holding my breath that this is going to be above and beyond any other sequel or reboot that is populating the theaters lately.  

I also don't think it's a coincidence to get somebody from Stranger Things into this too, and get that built in audience.  

Evidently you haven't been in the new Terminator thread, the new Rambo thread, the Cobra Kai, thread.   Lots of interest around here for this stuff.  
I haven’t been, that’s true. I hope it works out, but it seems like one of those franchises where you can’t recapture that magic. I guess that’s probably most of them actually. 

Maybe I am just too cynical, but reading the bolded I feel like I watched a different trailer than you.  This looks just like every other sequel/reboot lately that spins the gender roles, and makes sure to check off the the stuff people "need" to see from the original.  Ecto 1? Check.  Ghost trap? Check?  the old Uniforms?  Check.   Maybe Slimer?  Check.   

I am definitely not going to argue that it could be a fun movie to see with your kids, but I am not holding my breath that this is going to be above and beyond any other sequel or reboot that is populating the theaters lately.  

I also don't think it's a coincidence to get somebody from Stranger Things into this too, and get that built in audience.  
Smart marketing for a change.

Pass.

Another re-boot/sequel/prequel from a dead franchise that no one is asking for (see: Terminator, Men in Black, The Shining, Rambo etc...).

Pass.

Another re-boot/sequel/prequel from a dead franchise that no one is asking for (see: Terminator, Men in Black, The Shining, Rambo etc...).
This is the incorrect part though.  These things are making money.  Read through the threads - there are a lot of people looking forward to the movies you list.  

People are not asking for half assed, agenda driven mockeries of the original movies. Fans would like a nice sequel that advances the story to new and exciting areas though. 
But does that ever actually happen?   I rarely to never watch any of these so I can't speak on them personally, but the reviews are generally terrible.  What are some examples where movie reboots (or remakes, I don't know the difference) worked to advance the story to new and exciting areas and received good reviews from fans and critics?  

I know this isn't the consensus but I think the Star Wars franchise cheapened itself by vomiting up all these sequels, prequels, reboots, remakes, etc.  To me, the original movies were masterpieces that helped shape the fabric of my childhood.  Everything that I've seen from 2000 forward related to Star Wars has been lackluster (Force Awakens) to just plain bad (Phantom Menace).  Why is there such an urge to try and recreate the magic when it's virtually impossible to top or even par out with the originals?  

And with Netflix and HBO and other services putting out fresh and original content, I can't envision myself ever devoting the time to watch something stale and unoriginal.  

GET OFF MY LAWN WIFE'S FLOWERBEDS AND GARDENS THAT SHE PUT IN BECAUSE SHE RIPPED OUT MOST OF MY FRONT LAWN!!!!!!!

I didn't realize you can't like intelligent movies and mindless movies at the same time.
Everytime I vocalize a criticism of the movie industry for producing insipid, mindless trash for an increasingly dumber audience with what seems like limitless funds and time to watch said trash, I have to remind myself that I have The Bachelor set up to record on DVR and that I'm just a giant hypocrite.  

But does that ever actually happen?   I rarely to never watch any of these so I can't speak on them personally, but the reviews are generally terrible.  What are some examples where movie reboots (or remakes, I don't know the difference) worked to advance the story to new and exciting areas and received good reviews from fans and critics?  

I know this isn't the consensus but I think the Star Wars franchise cheapened itself by vomiting up all these sequels, prequels, reboots, remakes, etc.  To me, the original movies were masterpieces that helped shape the fabric of my childhood.  Everything that I've seen from 2000 forward related to Star Wars has been lackluster (Force Awakens) to just plain bad (Phantom Menace).  Why is there such an urge to try and recreate the magic when it's virtually impossible to top or even par out with the originals?  

And with Netflix and HBO and other services putting out fresh and original content, I can't envision myself ever devoting the time to watch something stale and unoriginal.  

GET OFF MY LAWN WIFE'S FLOWERBEDS AND GARDENS THAT SHE PUT IN BECAUSE SHE RIPPED OUT MOST OF MY FRONT LAWN!!!!!!!
Seriously.  That may be the oldest you've ever sounded, GB.

Users who are viewing this thread