What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Girl sitting next to me on flight pukes in bag twice (1 Viewer)

I flew from Cape Town to London and spent 3/4 of the flight in the toilet puking and ****ting. 12 hours. Pretty sure it was food poisoning. Pretty much an open faucet on both ends.

Had an 8 hour layover in London then another 10 hour flight to Seattle. By that time I was emptied out so just laid in my seat.

In top 5 of most miserable experiences of my life.

really nothing worse than flying while ill. well, nothing worse than flying. add in the moron factor and you are in a traveling petri dish.
Probably about 3 or 4 other people seated around my general area we're just coughing into the air with no masks and not covering their face at all. Like they were sitting in their recliner at home just hacking away like nobody else was there.

I know, how about a nice pork sandwich, served in a greasy ashtray?

I’ve used this my entire life and I’m pretty sure you are the only other person I’ve ever heard reference it. Literally dozens of times and nobody has ever gotten it.

:kicksrock:
People who do not know this reference are the height of uncultured, uncouth civility and deserve to be snubbed from polite society.

I flew from Cape Town to London and spent 3/4 of the flight in the toilet puking and ****ting. 12 hours. Pretty sure it was food poisoning. Pretty much an open faucet on both ends.

Had an 8 hour layover in London then another 10 hour flight to Seattle. By that time I was emptied out so just laid in my seat.

really nothing worse than flying while ill. well, nothing worse than flying. add in the moron factor and you are in a traveling petri dish.
Probably about 3 or 4 other people seated around my general area we're just coughing into the air with no masks and not covering their face at all. Like they were sitting in their recliner at home just hacking away like nobody else was there.
The joys of air travel.

The puke smell masked the rancid farts from the guy who just pounded Burger King before the flight so there is that.

I’ve used this my entire life and I’m pretty sure you are the only other person I’ve ever heard reference it. Literally dozens of times and nobody has ever gotten it.

Don't think I don't know that I messed the line up. Greasy pork sandwich, dirty ashtray.

Thanks for not calling me out
I was honesty so excited somebody else knew it I didn’t even notice. :lmao:

then you get the shoeless wonder that goes to the restroom sans shoes and puts feet up on everything. ask them what they think they are stepping on in there. only safe way to fly is disposable hazmat suit really. also, the boarding process is a favorite time of mine. i love watching the people crowd each other and the jetbridge entry not understanding the cycle. no, you are not military or first class, you can’t get on yet. just the thought of an airport and i think sane people lose their minds.

Don't think I don't know that I messed the line up. Greasy pork sandwich, dirty ashtray.

Thanks for not calling me out
I was honesty so excited somebody else knew it I didn’t even notice. :lmao:
I got it.

Yeah, this is worst nightmare stuff for all involved parties.

If I'm flying, I'm basically eating nothing but absolutely risk free foods for at least 18 hours prior to take off. Of course, sometimes that's not possible(flying after a wedding, for example) , but if i can...its nothing but water to drink and the driest/blandest of meals the day before.

Just not worth the risk. I have an iron bladder, so if i step foot into the airplane bathroom during less than a 6 hour flight, something went very wrong.

Last edited:

then you get the shoeless wonder that goes to the restroom sans shoes and puts feet up on everything. ask them what they think they are stepping on in there. only safe way to fly is disposable hazmat suit really. also, the boarding process is a favorite time of mine. i love watching the people crowd each other and the jetbridge entry not understanding the cycle. no, you are not military or first class, you can’t get on yet. just the thought of an airport and i think sane people lose their minds.
While we were waiting on the security line there was a guy who was of asking to get through and cut the line and then eventually once he got near the front he did just go under the ropes and the main security guy just let him go through to the front of the scanner line. Another person who was in line started screaming at the main security guard saying "that guy is cutting and he was trying to cut for like the last few minutes. This is ridiculous!" So the security guy tells him that the guy who cut was like an air marshal or something. I just found it funny that there was a guy in line freaking out that somebody else cut like it was 5th grade or something.

If I'm flying, I'm basically eating nothing about absolutely risk free foods for at least 18 hours prior to take off. Of course, sometimes that's not possible(flying after a wedding, for example) , but if i can...its nothing but water to drink and the driest/blandest of meals the day before.

Just not worth the risk. I have an iron bladder, so if i step foot into the airplane bathroom during less than a 6 hour flight, something went very wrong.
My sister does this. I had never thought of it. Nearly 60 years and I never knew. Her kids ratted her out. I wanted to take them to sushi the night they were leaving. (Red eye, comfort plus, family of 3, taking the whole row). Mom wouldn’t allow it.

If I'm flying, I'm basically eating nothing about absolutely risk free foods for at least 18 hours prior to take off. Of course, sometimes that's not possible(flying after a wedding, for example) , but if i can...its nothing but water to drink and the driest/blandest of meals the day before.

That's... unique.

My sister does this. I had never thought of it. Nearly 60 years and I never knew. Her kids ratted her out. I wanted to take them to sushi the night they were leaving. (Red eye, comfort plus, family of 3, taking the whole row). Mom wouldn’t allow it.

I'm generally not someone who has stomach problems(my brother is a whole other story, but I'm lucky on that front) ......but the downside of having a problem mid flight is just SOOOOOOO high. Not worth it to me.

That's... unique.

I agree its a little weird. But for me, the pleasure I get from having a couple of beers or a big sloppy burger just aint worth potentially spending 4 hours shuttling back and forth to an airplane commode.

That's... unique.

i do the same thing, especially 8-10 hour flights to italy. no carpaccio the night before flying. eat at home, control the environment. no fish and never any water based in flight drink. where do you think the coffee and tea water comes from?

My wife and I travel a lot and she threw up all over herself on a flight just a few months ago due to food poisoning. She didn't even have time to grab a barf bag. We had been upgraded to first class and we were both in window seats so I was actually sitting in the row behind her. My wife was obviously mortified beyond measure and luckily the lady sitting next to her as well as the flight attendant were as nice as could be given the situation. It was a fairly short flight but we had a layover, so my wife ended up buying a new sweatshirt in one of the stores and showering as best should could in the airport lounge before our next flight. I felt so bad for her, I know she was completely embarrassed.

My wife and I travel a lot and she threw up all over herself on a flight just a few months ago due to food poisoning. She didn't even have time to grab a barf bag. We had been upgraded to first class and we were both in window seats so I was actually sitting in the row behind her. My wife was obviously mortified beyond measure and luckily the lady sitting next to her as well as the flight attendant were as nice as could be given the situation. It was a fairly short flight but we had a layover, so my wife ended up buying a new sweatshirt in one of the stores and showering as best should could in the airport lounge before our next flight. I felt so bad for her, I know she was completely embarrassed.

When you deplaned did you act like you were having trouble with your carry on so that she walked ahead of you and you could pretend you didn’t know her?

Been there, but on a flight from Delhi to Amsterdam. The jerkface in the aisle refused to switch with me and my wife (I was in middle, wife in window), and I had to climb over his dumb Dutch legs like 8x during that flight. I no doubt smelled by puke and **** too.

The first wave of nausea hit me in the hour long line in Delhi passport control to leave the country. Nearly **** my pants in that line while I was sweating through my shirt and shaking. Still made it back to the east coast after a 4 hour nap in Schiphol.

Been there, but on a flight from Delhi to Amsterdam. The jerkface in the aisle refused to switch with me and my wife (I was in middle, wife in window), and I had to climb over his dumb Dutch legs like 8x during that flight. I no doubt smelled by puke and **** too.

The first wave of nausea hit me in the hour long line in Delhi passport control to leave the country. Nearly **** my pants in that line while I was sweating through my shirt and shaking. Still made it back to the east coast after a 4 hour nap in Schiphol.
It really is a terrible feeling. At home is bad enough. Surrounded by people is a whole other level.

Was she sitting in the window seat or the aisle? TIA.
seriously, someone needs to draw a diagram of this situation. i don't understand the location of everything.
If you're standing in the aisle of the plane facing the cockpit there are three seats on your left and three seats on your right. Just to the right of where you are standing would be me sitting in the aisle seat. Next to that was an open seat aka the middle seat. Then finally all the way to the right by the window was the sick woman. 7th row.

Interesting. I have never ever once considered watching what I eat before getting on a plane. The only consideration I make is if I’m hungry or not and will there be food on the plane.

Not saying there is anything wrong with it. Makes sense I guess. I just didn’t consider it .

Totally forgot about this. When we adopted my daughter, we flew to Taiwan to pick her up. We had her for a grand total of 3 days when we flew back to the US. She was 13 months old at this point.

On the way to getting on the plane, she threw up all over me. I was able to get partially cleaned up, but still smelled like formula barf for the entire flight. Let me tell you, the flight from Taipei to Newark is not a short flight.

Probably norovirus. GL WN.
I was thinking the same, but three+ days is a really long incubation time for noro (I'm aware there's a lot in the community rn).

Maybe she caught repeated glimpses of that nauseatingly bad movie?
Definitely didn't feel well within 8 to 10 hours of being near the puker. But now it's been almost 85ish hours and I'm not throwing up but I feel like I'm progressively getting a little bit worse each hour. Just feel blah times 20. Achy. Little something going on in my throat but nothing major yet. Fever. And stomach is all kinds of tricky. I did finally poop today. No diarrhea or anything but just not feeling well down there. I took a pepcid a couple days ago but nothing since. I should probably take something.

Definitely didn't feel well within 8 to 10 hours of being near the puker. But now it's been almost 85ish hours and I'm not throwing up but I feel like I'm progressively getting a little bit worse each hour. Just feel blah times 20. Achy. Little something going on in my throat but nothing major yet. Fever. And stomach is all kinds of tricky. I did finally poop today. No diarrhea or anything but just not feeling well down there. I took a pepcid a couple days ago but nothing since. I should probably take something.
You need a 12 pack and a couple games of cornhole. That usually makes me feel better.

Was she sitting in the window seat or the aisle? TIA.
seriously, someone needs to draw a diagram of this situation. i don't understand the location of everything.
If you're standing in the aisle of the plane facing the cockpit there are three seats on your left and three seats on your right. Just to the right of where you are standing would be me sitting in the aisle seat. Next to that was an open seat aka the middle seat. Then finally all the way to the right by the window was the sick woman. 7th row.
and the lady with the dog was in the aisle seat of the left side of the 7th row?

I can only imagine how horrible it would be to get on a plane and then get violently ill. But also awful for everyone else around.

Thankfully the woman was a couple of rows behind me and on the other side of the plane, but I was on a 4 hour flight a few years ago where a woman vomited repeatedly for 4 hours. There was a good amount of turbulence that I’m sure was a large contributing factor, but it also prevented her from being able to get up and go to the restroom.

Thank goodness I had headphones with me, because the sound of puke filling up those bags over and over would have made me lose my cookies too eventually.
I usually don't eat street food, but an Indian friend guilted me into an Argentinean empanada, after I made a culturally inappropriate joke about the restrooms in Calcutta. Sure enough, three days later I developed projectile diarrhea, right before my 15+ hour return trip to Honolulu.

Being sick on a long flight is terrible. The only thing worse than repeated trips to the cramped lavatory was the shame I felt crop dusting the aisles, and the post-apocalyptic Jackson Pollack scene I left in my wake.

That would be nightmarish for me. Probably norovirus. GL WN.
Isn't norovirus the same as stomach flu? Looks like it's supposed to go away and 1 to 3 days. I definitely feel like crap. Not vomiting though. Yet.
Typical incubation is 12-48 hours, causing both nausea/vomiting and diarrhea in adults +/- cramps, low grade temp. Usually resolves in less than 24 hours.

But it is incredibly contagious, and you can reinfect yourself (and others), if not fastidious with hygiene after the fire hose of barf/diarrhea runs its course.

So, just to be clear, the sick woman with a dog was sitting in both the window seat and the aisle seat...sort of like an electron passing though both slits simultaneously.

I feel bad for the girl and for you in this situation. Feel better.
Thank you very much. I have to go to a memorial service on Sunday. I'm hoping not to be sick.
Norovirus is usually a 24 hour thing. You should be ok by Sunday. Stay hydrated
I felt crappy on Tuesday. Now it's Friday. Pressure in upper abdomen. Nausea. Fatigue. Slight Fever. No diarrhea though. The opposite actually. Haven't pooped yet since landing.
Hmmmm...definitely atypical for noro. Pregnancy test?

Last edited:

Now this sounds like norovirus!

Yep, the snide comment referenced in my above post was about people getting sick in/returning from India. Seems like everyone I know who visits gets a diarrheal illness. I imagine attendants don't covet working those flights.

When it hit, it fast!

Loosely related topic: when traveling with your partner, who gets the middle seat?

I thought it was a no-brainer that my wife was relegated to that seat, until my friend told me his spouse insisted he shoehorn into the middle.

Seems like common sense. The smaller person occupies the cramped space, right?

Then again, I haven't seen his wife in a while, so maybe that's exactly what's happening :oldunsure:

Thank you very much. I have to go to a memorial service on Sunday. I'm hoping not to be sick.
I felt crappy on Tuesday. Now it's Friday. Pressure in upper abdomen. Nausea. Fatigue. Slight Fever. No diarrhea though. The opposite actually. Haven't pooped yet since landing.
Hmmmm...definitely atypical for noro.
A little sore throat too that has gotten worse since this morning. What else could she have had that would make her vomit that wasn't noro? I got a flu shot a few months ago.

So, just to be clear, the sick woman with a dog was sitting in both the window seat and the aisle seat...sort of like an electron passing though both slits simultaneously.
Haha. Okay I see I said aisle seat a total of four times when I actually meant to say window seat. Wow I was really out of it when I wrote that. I just woken up and really not feeling well. Sorry for the confusion. She was in the window seat. I was in the aisle seat. Nothing in the middle seat.

A little sore throat too that has gotten worse since this morning. What else could she have had that would make her vomit that wasn't noro? I got a flu shot a few months ago.
My guess is you got sick from someone else.

When it hit, it fast!
Yep. It's like that scene from The Meaning of Life, but on a toilet.

Loosely related topic: when traveling with your partner, who gets the middle seat?

I thought it was a no-brainer that my wife was relegated to that seat, until my friend told me his spouse insisted he shoehorn into the middle.

Seems like common sense. The smaller person occupies the cramped space, right?

Then again, I haven't seen his wife in a while, so maybe that's exactly what's happening :oldunsure:
I’m on the aisle. i book the flights. It‘s usually wife and kid. Kid gets the middle seat. Kid then guilts,tricks mom into switching. :shrug:

My guess is you got sick from someone else.
I literally breathed in her puke spray. I left this out of the original story but there is like a 30%-40% chance that I felt a droplet of vomit hit my bottom lip. I didn't want to say it because it's so gross and I'm not 100% sure that it actually happened but in the moment she puked the second time I really felt like something hit my bottom lip and it had to be flying puke. If someone else got me sick and it wasn't her I mean wow that would be pretty crazy that I would have avoided getting sick from actually ingesting vomit and just happened to be next to somebody else who had a different illness that got me.

When it hit, it fast!
Yep. It's like that scene from The Meaning of Life, but on a toilet.
Seriously. I was sitting on the thrown and hugging the sink. Never experienced anything like this in my life.

I had hiked Table Mountain in the morning and was feeling on top of the world. Got back to the hotel and there was some rumblings then at the airport was running for the john. By the time I got on to the plane it was fire hydrant mode.

Many infections can cause GI distress, including influenza and SARS-CoV-2. Or maybe she's getting blamed for a crime she didn't commit, as it sounds like you were around a bunch of other sick people?

And norovirus doesn't cause sore throat, independent from irritation post-vomiting.

Users who are viewing this thread