What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

GM's Thread About Everything/GM's Thread About Nothing (14 Viewers)

Got my work email open this morning and there was a mine in it: an all-hands Google Meet at 12:30. I start thinking this time, my number comes up, as no doubt 180 other people did. Nice morning.

Six positions are being eliminated, and they're looking for places to land those people. No one on my team is affected.

I'm exhausted now.

Got an air purifier to help with the smoke.  It has an automatic sensor with LED’s to indicate good, somewhat bad or bad air quality.   When you fart near it it changes the LED to red.  Had a couple of people over for football this weekend.  Apparently the draw of farting near the air purifier is irresistible.

I do indeed. However, the real world seems quite contentious right now, and it wouldn't suck if we cut each other some slack in here for a while.

I'm a namby-pamby beta cuck, I'll see myself out
I don’t think anyone’s actually fighting about this. I’m not. 

Got an air purifier to help with the smoke.  It has an automatic sensor with LED’s to indicate good, somewhat bad or bad air quality.   When you fart near it it changes the LED to red.  Had a couple of people over for football this weekend.  Apparently the draw of farting near the air purifier is irresistible.
My dog realized mine does this and farts in it, then looks up at me and grins. 

we're getting smoke haze all the way over here in the upper midwest

thick enough to make it look like a high level fog and dim the sun. can't imagine what you west coasters are experiencing if it's like this half a continent away.

thick enough to make it look like a high level fog and dim the sun. can't imagine what you west coasters are experiencing if it's like this half a continent away.
Fwiw, having a lesser but similar kind of day here in nyc. My understanding is that the smoke has made it all the way across country.

Fwiw, having a lesser but similar kind of day here in nyc. My understanding is that the smoke has made it all the way across country.
I thought it was just a cloudy day, but I just looked at weather.com and it's saying that it's mostly sunny, turning into very sunny in about a couple of hours.  I can't see the sky, let alone the sun. 

Air quality in my town has been "unhealthy" to "hazardous" over the last 6 days (and now again today).  It sucks, but we're mostly devastated by the loss of life and property.  Some people are going through hell.

RC94 said:
I thought it was just a cloudy day, but I just looked at weather.com and it's saying that it's mostly sunny, turning into very sunny in about a couple of hours.  I can't see the sky, let alone the sun. 
Glad this has confirmation- I just kinda threw it out there.

mr. furley said:

You're welcome.

mr. furley said:

We've had "very unhealthy" air for about a week straight now since the wind shifted and blew the big smoke plume that was offshore back onto land.   It's like a heavy fog, but with a brownish/yellow color.   I live at the top of a hill and my visibility has been reduced to about half a mile to a mile.   Haven't been able to see the sun much, but when you can you can look directly at it through the smoke.   It looks dark orange/red.  The daytime temperature is about 10-15 degrees below normal.  During the day, the light is tinged with orange.  It's like how old sci-fi movies depicted the sky on mars.

I haven't left my house except for going to the pharmacy to pick up a prescription and taking a car to the mechanic.   Even with A/C on recirculating and all of my windows closed, my eyes are red and sting, and the smoke has given me a headache for the last 5 days.   I can feel the soot on the bed when I go to sleep.  It's rained a little the last couple nights, but not enough to clear anything up.  Just enough to cover everything outside with a gray film.  

Like Facook said, the bigger thing is the people directly affected.   Oregon had a "mass casualty event."   A whole town burned down in Eastern Washington.   I'm sorry for the people that have been devastated by these fires.

Last edited by a moderator:
We've had "very unhealthy" air for about a week straight now since the wind shifted and blew the big smoke plume that was offshore back onto land.   It's like a heavy fog, but with a brownish/yellow color.   I live at the top of a hill and my visibility has been reduced to about half a mile to a mile.   Haven't been able to see the sun much, but when you can you can look directly at it through the smoke.   It looks dark orange/red.  The daytime temperature is about 10-15 degrees below normal.  During the day, the light is tinged with orange.  It's like how old sci-fi movies depicted the sky on mars.

I haven't left my house except for going to the pharmacy to pick up a prescription and taking a car to the mechanic.   Even with A/C on recirculating and all of my windows closed, my eyes are red and sting, and the smoke has given me a headache for the last 5 days.   I can feel the soot on the bed when I go to sleep.  It's rained a little the last couple nights, but not enough to clear anything up.  Just enough to cover everything outside with a gray film.  

Like Facook said, the bigger thing is the people directly affected.   Oregon had a "mass casualty event."   A whole town burned down in Eastern Washington.   I'm sorry for the people that have been devastated by these fires.
Our church is partnering with others to help evacuees in our area.  The Red Cross rep here told us this is a Level 7 response for them in Oregon.  The last one of those they had was Katrina.  Not sure how accurate that it is but gives some incredible perspective if even close.

mr. furley said:

Have had it here in Ohio.  Something about the jet stream settling in the Ohio valley or something something.  Is weird to be able to look right at the sun in the morning.

Crazy ####.

Have had it here in Ohio.  Something about the jet stream settling in the Ohio valley or something something.  Is weird to be able to look right at the sun in the morning.

Crazy ####.
we had a cold front blow through last night. dropped the temps 20 degrees, but also cleared all the haze out. 

during the course of signing refi ppwk recently it came to light that my credit score is just about 10% higher than my wife's. 

apparently having a higher credit score than her is a competition that one neither of us knew she was trailing in. it was fun/funny seeing her reaction in real time. also recently got a raise that pushed me ahead of her on the imaginary scoreboard.. again.. a game that i did not realize we were competing in.

in some ways she has the mentality of a 50s husband, but if roles were reversed and women were head of household then. all weekend she has been throwing jabs at me trying to undermine my presumed feeling of superiority.  here i thought we were in it together and trying to improve our lives as a joint venture. guess not.

fully expecting my credit to mysteriously dip in the next few months .. and probably for my boss to get an anonymous letter whereby i get demoted and my pay cut.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I have a mandoline (slicer, not pear-shaped guitar-thingy) and a pair of cut-proof gloves.  Yesterday I was slicing up some cucumbers for pickling, got started and thought "#### - forgot the safety glove.  OK, well I'll just do this one cucumber and then go get the glove..." And of course tried to get one too many slices out of it and took a bite out of my ring finger.  Could have been way worse, but it's kind of a pain to type with a fingertip bandage.

tl;dr - I'm an idiot

during the course of signing refi ppwk recently it came to light that my credit score is just about 10% higher than my wife's. 

apparently having a higher credit score than her is a competition that one neither of us knew she was trailing in. it was fun/funny seeing her reaction in real time. also recently got a raise that pushed me ahead of her on the imaginary scoreboard.. again.. a game that i did not realize we were competing in.

in some ways she has the mentality of a 50s husband, but if roles were reversed and women were head of household then. all weekend she has been throwing jabs at me trying to undermine my presumed feeling of superiority.  here i thought we were in it together and trying to improve our lives as a joint venture. guess not.

fully expecting my credit to mysteriously dip in the next few months .. and probably for my boss to get an anonymous letter whereby i get demoted and my pay cut.
I am a lucky, lucky man.

So I have a mandoline (slicer, not pear-shaped guitar-thingy) and a pair of cut-proof gloves.  Yesterday I was slicing up some cucumbers for pickling, got started and thought "#### - forgot the safety glove.  OK, well I'll just do this one cucumber and then go get the glove..." And of course tried to get one too many slices out of it and took a bite out of my ring finger.  Could have been way worse, but it's kind of a pain to type with a fingertip bandage.

tl;dr - I'm an idiot
This is the way

tl;dr - I'm an idiot
working fast food in HS taught me that i'd never own a mandoline slicer. saw too many fingertips get cut.

the adults got to use the deli slicer and every single one of them took a fingertip off. 4 for 4.

If your wife pays the bills, you can bet that your credit card isn’t getting paid this month.

So our smoke detectors went off at 1am last night. It beeped for about 10 seconds and then quit, thoroughly confusing me while terrifying my daughter who is on the spectrum. Because of course that stuff always happens in the middle of the night and not during the day.

After a bit of Googling to figure out what would cause it to go off for such a short amount of time and not resume, my best guess is that a spider crawled in it and triggered it. Which I was stupid enough to mention to my daughter this morning to try to relax her completely forgetting for that split second that she is also afraid of spiders. So now smoke detector triggering spiders are probably her new #1 fear, so yeah, I’m pretty much dad of the year is what I’m saying.

So our smoke detectors went off at 1am last night. It beeped for about 10 seconds and then quit, thoroughly confusing me while terrifying my daughter who is on the spectrum. Because of course that stuff always happens in the middle of the night and not during the day.

After a bit of Googling to figure out what would cause it to go off for such a short amount of time and not resume, my best guess is that a spider crawled in it and triggered it. Which I was stupid enough to mention to my daughter this morning to try to relax her completely forgetting for that split second that she is also afraid of spiders. So now smoke detector triggering spiders are probably her new #1 fear, so yeah, I’m pretty much dad of the year is what I’m saying.
What was the spider smoking?

in my.... decades of marriage it has happened twice in the middle of the night that the smoke alarm battery died which results in the thing going freaking berserk at 170 decibels.

bad enough to be awakened at 3 AM to that sound, but both times my wife has had a night terror panic attack reaction and wound up dropping hammer blows on me and shouting unintelligibly. she has had no recollection of it (allegedly) in the morning in either instance.

so if you've ever wondered what it's like be awakened by someone beating the tar out of you, screaming in your face while a jet engine is going off right next to your head.. i'm your man.

in my.... decades of marriage it has happened twice in the middle of the night that the smoke alarm battery died which results in the thing going freaking berserk at 170 decibels.

bad enough to be awakened at 3 AM to that sound, but both times my wife has had a night terror panic attack reaction and wound up dropping hammer blows on me and shouting unintelligibly. she has had no recollection of it (allegedly) in the morning in either instance.

so if you've ever wondered what it's like be awakened by someone beating the tar out of you, screaming in your face while a jet engine is going off right next to your head.. i'm your man.
Remove the jet engine and I can relate.  Every few months my wife has a "dream" were I guess she is beating the #### out of someone (she did not have the best upbringing) or running from them and I take the brunt of it.  Nothing like waking up at 3 am to your wife kicking and punching your back while talking nonsense to get you going.  After a few times I quickly learned how to  get on top of the covers and hold her down until it passes.  

Guessing that whatever the REAL reason was for the beat down, you prolly had it coming.

I know people who will pay good money for that sort of thing. 
There's probably, at minimum, 3 or 4 of them in this thread.

I've had it where it was dust + humidity.

I cleaned them all and it stopped.

I really need to replace them.  They are going on 15 years....

One of those unproductive when I need to be productive days.

So many issues with this house I'm working on as a freelancer, dizzying to figure out where to focus.

Remove the jet engine and I can relate.  Every few months my wife has a "dream" were I guess she is beating the #### out of someone (she did not have the best upbringing) or running from them and I take the brunt of it.  Nothing like waking up at 3 am to your wife kicking and punching your back while talking nonsense to get you going.  After a few times I quickly learned how to  get on top of the covers and hold her down until it passes.  
I have a friend who has night terrors. His wife has found him on top of the dresser ripping all of the molding off the walls, punching walls, screaming about fires while ripping the curtains off the walls.

I experienced this a couple times while we shared a room at a bowling tournament. He pushed me out of the bed thinking something was falling out of the ceiling. Freaked me the hell out.

Users who are viewing this thread