What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

GM's thread about nothing (7 Viewers)

Hi. Here are my problems right now. So, I submitted a resume Tuesday night to a company that isn't who I work for now, got a response Wednesday, had a phone interview with the #2 in the company's USA division, the sales manager (pretty small division) this morning. I think I killed it. He told me my resume was exactly what he was looking for, and I felt I had good answers for every question he asked. I'm interviewing with the #1 of the USA division tomorrow at 2:30. What they want to pay this position is about half again as much as I'm making right now, which is realistic for me to earn in the job I'm in right now in the next month or two. Background: last month I told my boss I loved what I did but I needed to make half again as much as I do now in order for this to be something I could see as a career. He told me he didn't want to lose me, he'd take care of me, and just give him a couple months to take care of some pretty big payables. I trust him. I like him, and like working for him. But, this job with one of the only bike companies in the area opened up that is right in my wheelhouse. I trust my boss, and I would really hate to leave for a similar amount to what he'd pay me, but the fact is he isn't paying me that right now. There have also been other developments at work. He's selling the store I'm in to his long time employee. I do not want to work for this employee at all. The transaction isn't going to go through until October, but this employee is getting transferred to my store and is going to be my manager. This sucks. I talked to him today about that and was completely honest with how I felt about this, and he asked for a week - he's going on vacation for a week, and if I can't deal with this guy over the next week I'm pretty confident he'd move me to our other store, where I used to work. So as of right now I'm going to keep interviewing with the other company and see where it leads. I'm going to try to stall because I don't want to have to make a decision until the owner of my company gets back (and frankly wouldn't leave without talking to him again and getting a guarantee on a number/timeline for the raise we've talked about, on which I would trust him.) But these guys want to fill this position asap, I'm the perfect candidate (a good bit of sales experience and also very familiar with the bike world) and I'm worried they're going to fast track me. I'm going to ask for more than what they're offering, because what they're offering right now is what I think I can make in short order where I am. So, after all that tl:dr, here's what I can't figure out. If I get offered and ask for a certain salary at the new place first, I feel that's me tacitly accepting the job if they say yes. And I'll feel like a jerk if I pull back after that, and this is a very small industry. If I talk to my owner first, tell him that I'm interviewing elsewhere due to the change in superivsors and lack of a raise without an offer on the table, that brings up obvious concerns. So I'm not sure what to do, other than ask for half again as much as they're offering, which they wouldn't pay and even if they did I wouldn't feel bad about quitting for. But that would just mean I wasted a bunch of time and thought on this. Argh.Also, I may or may not have had plenty to drink tonight
I think the changes in your current job are pushing you out the door anyway. There's too many maybes and distant promises to rely on - he'll transfer you if you don't like the new manager, he'll work out a way to pay you your salary needs, all of this might come true, yea, but then again it might not. Then you'd be in the same spot you're in now, only trapped with no escape plan in a very small industry. If the other company meets your salary requirements, I think you leave. It's the smart move.

'Crazy Canuck said:
'Guster said:
'Crazy Canuck said:
'Josie Maran said:
Talk to the staffing comapny and see if their client will budge on the temp aspect and go straight to full-time.Or bypass the staffing company and submit a resume to the real company.
How are you so wise in the ways of hiring? Isn't your application process -1. Show up in a tuxedo t-shirt2. Demonstrate multitasking ability by making an off-color joke while shaking up a martini3. Share the martini with the interviewer4. Promise to get boatloads of hot poosay in the door5. Profit
You know you sound like an ####### right?
No, I sound like a guy who made a gag about the hiring process for bartenders.Go #### yourself, Guster.There, now I sound like an #######.
Sorry, GB, but you basically called him an idiot ("How are you so wise in the ways of hiring?") and then belittled his current trade. Homer is a smart mother ####er.But maybe I'm off the mark here and just being an over sensitive #####

Last edited by a moderator:
'strykerpks said:
'shuke said:
'strykerpks said:
'strykerpks said:
Thoughts on a temp-to-hire managerial position through a staffing agency? I'm skeptical...
I know I'm a D-lister and my profession isn't all 6-7 figure-y but, anyone?
What are you skeptical about? Does seem odd that that they would make a manager position a temp-to-hire. It's almost as if the hiriing manager is just too lazy to screen out candidates right now. Or maybe they just don't have anything in the budget to higher full time until later in the year or next year?In my experience, most temp-to-hire people I've seen end up getting hired unless they are complete morons.
I use temp-to-hire to weed out the potheads (no pun intended).But yeah, I'm skeptical that they would post a salaried, managerial position through a staffing agency (that in return put it on Monster, Careerbuilder etc). I've figured out what company it is (very specific in the description) and they're not hurting for money. I'll probably pass but the job description was right up my alley. I'm not leaving a job of 13 years for a temp position I could lose in 3 monthsThanks.
Seems a weird way to place managers. I Also have a low opinion of temp agencies and would be at least skeptical.

'Crazy Canuck said:
'Guster said:
'Crazy Canuck said:
'Josie Maran said:
Talk to the staffing comapny and see if their client will budge on the temp aspect and go straight to full-time.Or bypass the staffing company and submit a resume to the real company.
How are you so wise in the ways of hiring? Isn't your application process -1. Show up in a tuxedo t-shirt2. Demonstrate multitasking ability by making an off-color joke while shaking up a martini3. Share the martini with the interviewer4. Promise to get boatloads of hot poosay in the door5. Profit
No, I sound like a guy who made a gag about the hiring process for bartenders.Go #### yourself, Guster.There, now I sound like an #######.
Sorry, GB, but you basically called him an idiot ("How are you so wise in the ways of hiring?") and then belittled his current trade. Homer is a smart mother ####er.But maybe I'm off the mark here and just being an over sensitive #####
You're getting a wee sensitive, buddy. Homie knows I think he's a smart bloke. And who in the GMTAN would ever belittle the blessed profession of making quality drinks? This place is ragging it hard. All our manperiods have finally synced up.

The boy (13) just got a wisdom tooth pulled.

Coming off the anesthesia is a wonderful preview into what the amatuer drinking years are going to be like

The boy (13) just got a wisdom tooth pulled. Coming off the anesthesia is a wonderful preview into what the amatuer drinking years are going to be like
I had 6 wisdom teeth. Was one of the best weekends ever. Movies to watch, ice cream, friends stopping by. Good time.

'Crazy Canuck said:
'Guster said:
'Crazy Canuck said:
'Josie Maran said:
Talk to the staffing comapny and see if their client will budge on the temp aspect and go straight to full-time.

Or bypass the staffing company and submit a resume to the real company.
How are you so wise in the ways of hiring? Isn't your application process -1. Show up in a tuxedo t-shirt

2. Demonstrate multitasking ability by making an off-color joke while shaking up a martini

3. Share the martini with the interviewer

4. Promise to get boatloads of hot poosay in the door

5. Profit
No, I sound like a guy who made a gag about the hiring process for bartenders.Go #### yourself, Guster.

There, now I sound like an #######.
Sorry, GB, but you basically called him an idiot ("How are you so wise in the ways of hiring?") and then belittled his current trade. Homer is a smart mother ####er.

But maybe I'm off the mark here and just being an over sensitive #####
You're getting a wee sensitive, buddy. Homie knows I think he's a smart bloke. And who in the GMTAN would ever belittle the blessed profession of making quality drinks?

This place is ragging it hard. All our manperiods have finally synced up.
:lmao: Yeah, no offense taken on your original post, except that you forgot about adding a "???" line before "Profit". #######.

Guster, since I'm a Red Sox fan, I'm interested in a square if you have any left. Or even two.
I'll save 2 for you :hifive:
Thanks, bro. This will be fun. :thumbup: $40 to your PayPal? (I have it from the cosjob SB squares.)
Yep, perfect!
PayPal sent. I assume you'll e-mail everyone (my PayPal is of course my e-mail addy) the square picks and other info, or do I just visit a website later to find out what I got?
Got it, thanks GB :thumbup: I will email the square picks plus update the blog

I usually update the blog at least once a week if not more frequently during the season with the winners

Homer is shockingly good at Words with Friends. Like, way better than GM.
I yell at my phone quite often because of your innate ability to #### up a play of mine 9 times out of 10. This mornings first play is a stellar example. You're the Ray Lewis of Words With Friends, in that you're an ###hole and I hate you.

Coming off the anesthesia is a wonderful preview into what the amatuer drinking years are going to be like
I had 6 wisdom teeth. Was one of the best weekends ever. Movies to watch, ice cream, friends stopping by. Good time.
I'm no Dentist (though I did take a dump on a prostitute's chest last night), but how is this even possible?Did you have teeth growing in your throat?

I'm no Dentist (though I did take a dump on a prostitute's chest last night), but how is this even possible?Did you have teeth growing in your throat?
Abe's film came in, Doctor

Also shockingly good at Words is my future MIL. English isn't even her first language, which is very obvious when talking to her. But not obvious at all when she's winning 2 out of every 3 games.

'proninja said:
Hi. Here are my problems right now. So, I submitted a resume Tuesday night to a company that isn't who I work for now, got a response Wednesday, had a phone interview with the #2 in the company's USA division, the sales manager (pretty small division) this morning. I think I killed it. He told me my resume was exactly what he was looking for, and I felt I had good answers for every question he asked. I'm interviewing with the #1 of the USA division tomorrow at 2:30. What they want to pay this position is about half again as much as I'm making right now, which is realistic for me to earn in the job I'm in right now in the next month or two. Background: last month I told my boss I loved what I did but I needed to make half again as much as I do now in order for this to be something I could see as a career. He told me he didn't want to lose me, he'd take care of me, and just give him a couple months to take care of some pretty big payables. I trust him. I like him, and like working for him. But, this job with one of the only bike companies in the area opened up that is right in my wheelhouse. I trust my boss, and I would really hate to leave for a similar amount to what he'd pay me, but the fact is he isn't paying me that right now. There have also been other developments at work. He's selling the store I'm in to his long time employee. I do not want to work for this employee at all. The transaction isn't going to go through until October, but this employee is getting transferred to my store and is going to be my manager. This sucks. I talked to him today about that and was completely honest with how I felt about this, and he asked for a week - he's going on vacation for a week, and if I can't deal with this guy over the next week I'm pretty confident he'd move me to our other store, where I used to work. So as of right now I'm going to keep interviewing with the other company and see where it leads. I'm going to try to stall because I don't want to have to make a decision until the owner of my company gets back (and frankly wouldn't leave without talking to him again and getting a guarantee on a number/timeline for the raise we've talked about, on which I would trust him.) But these guys want to fill this position asap, I'm the perfect candidate (a good bit of sales experience and also very familiar with the bike world) and I'm worried they're going to fast track me. I'm going to ask for more than what they're offering, because what they're offering right now is what I think I can make in short order where I am. So, after all that tl:dr, here's what I can't figure out. If I get offered and ask for a certain salary at the new place first, I feel that's me tacitly accepting the job if they say yes. And I'll feel like a jerk if I pull back after that, and this is a very small industry. If I talk to my owner first, tell him that I'm interviewing elsewhere due to the change in superivsors and lack of a raise without an offer on the table, that brings up obvious concerns. So I'm not sure what to do, other than ask for half again as much as they're offering, which they wouldn't pay and even if they did I wouldn't feel bad about quitting for. But that would just mean I wasted a bunch of time and thought on this. Argh.Also, I may or may not have had plenty to drink tonight
The biggest assets you have going for you right now are that you have and like your job, and you seem to have a good relationship with your boss. Once you get a job offer (and I agree you should ask for a little more from the new company), I'd lay your cards on the table about everything you said above and see what happens. I think it's the best play and the most respectful to your boss.

'Guster said:
I have an opportunity to do a temporary lucrative assignment in Houston (not with my company). Would delay Nicaragua move for a couple of months but not long (the move date was a "target" anyway). I'm kind of fascinated with Houston due to the Mexican food but I think I'd probably hate the city. Thoughts? How close would I be to Albert Oaks?
I've been to Houston once, but my initial impression was that it kinda sucked as a city. You're right on the Mexican food but there wasn't much exciting for me beyond that.
Houston is a great food city and the people are very friendly. THe traffic and the heat are fairly intolerable, tho.AO is about 2 1/2 hours if you time your drive.I'd think staying here Fri- Mon morn would be doable in most cases, but getting out of town Fri or Sat morning is much, much easier than Friday afternoon, when everyone in Texas goes somewhere. esp. to Austin. It probably only adds 45-60 min to the trip, but they are sucky minutes to add.I use Priceline or Hotwire when I go to Houston and can usually get a 4 star in the area I want for under a hundred bucks a night. I can provide good counsel on that.FLying is about 30-45 minutes depending on tarmac time, if you're close to an airport in Hou (either one). We have extra cards here you could use.

Was "half again as much" an unfamiliar expression to anyone else? :unsure:

If not, please help me see how it's an upgrade over saying "50% more". TIA.

'Guster said:
'Crazy Canuck said:
'Josie Maran said:
Why is "gentleman" filtered?

'Crazy Canuck said:
'Guster said:
'Crazy Canuck said:
'Josie Maran said:
I thought he brought on the funny pretty hard in that and I cannot imagine HJ doing anything but 50 lmaos.

got tired of prepping for the GMAT, so I emailed the dept chair and pleaded my case to see if there was anyway I could skip taking it. Figured I'd get a quick "everyone has to take it" response. Just got cc'ed on an email he sent to graduate admissions requesting a waiver for me. :pickle:

Users who are viewing this thread