What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Goodell's Tenure as Commissioner (1 Viewer)

How long will Roger Goodell remain as Commissioner in the wake of the Ray Rice situation?

• Goodell will step down or be removed by owners before the end of the 2014 season as a result of publ

Votes: 63 21.5%
  • Goodell will step down or be removed by owners between the end of the 2014 season and the start of t

Votes: 29 9.9%
  • The Rice situation will mostly blow over but cumulative effect of events/decisions on Goodell's

Votes: 55 18.8%
  • The Rice incident will blow over and Goodell will continue as Commissioner indefinitely. Business a

Votes: 146 49.8%

• Total voters
The heat just got turned up BIG TIME on Goodell.

I never really thought his job was in jeopardy but his press conference was an epic fail. So transparent that money drives all decisions and his rhetoric comes off as hubris, and frankly...dishonest.

I expect the votes to start swinging the other way over the next couple days here.

ESPN is pushing this hard (rightfully so), and well respected former players working in the media are pushing hard as well.

What a mess. Pressure will force the firing of Goodell at some point. Although he's not the only one at fault, he will take the fall.

I expect the votes to start swinging the other way over the next couple days here.

ESPN is pushing this hard (rightfully so), and well respected former players working in the media are pushing hard as well.
ESPN is pushing it hard because it's what people want to see. If you think they have the greater good in mind, you're fooling yourself. They're just as much about money as the NFL.

The heat just got turned up BIG TIME on Goodell.

I never really thought his job was in jeopardy but his press conference was an epic fail. So transparent that money drives all decisions and his rhetoric comes off as hubris, and frankly...dishonest.
Exactly what I expected. I'm sure the PR guys wrote it for him.

Franknbeans said:
Jerry Curl said:
Faust said:
Only reason he had a presser was because people are unsatisfied with how many games Rice got. He didnt do anything wrong, this like everything was tailored to the media. The embarrassing thing is this is a man of his stature answering to people who have no bearing on his job.
The reason he had the presser was to give the appearance to the sponsors that he was doing something about these problems.
yep

What a mess. Pressure will force the firing of Goodell at some point. Although he's not the only one at fault, he will take the fall.
Pressure from whom? From the owners to the commissioner? From the sponsors to the owners to the commissioner? From the general public to the sponsors to the owners to the commissioner?Short of him being found indisputably part of the cover-up in the Ray Rice stuff, nothing changes. If Bud Selig survived this long--hell if Gary Bettman, who is the biggest boob of any commissioner of a major sport in my lifetime, can survive as NHL commissioner for as long as he has--Roger Goodell will remain commissioner for a long time, as well.

I think he is incompetent on so many levels, but the owners do not seem inclined to share my assessment. And, short of a definitive cover up in the Rice debacle, I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sad that the media and their narrative dictate if a person keeps their job or not.

ESPN is so in bed with the NFL that I can't see why they would run something that makes Goodell and the Ravens brass look so bad unless there are some powerful people in the NFL that want them to look bad.

A lot of this whole thing proves how stupid the public is.

Goodell is no saint...not great...blah blah blah. I get that.

Just calling him incompetent and constantly wanting his head for this as if he punched some woman or hit a kid is the laughable part.

What commissioner has the public liked recently? During their tenures, nearly every commissioner is disliked. And the public always thinks they know better how to run a league. Its laughable how ignorant people are about it.

Ive asked before...in multiple places...one of the biggest issues people bring up with Goodell is inconsistency. What has he been inconsistent about? Not just vague things...bring actual examples.

Also read some idiot comparing this to the Catholic Church. Please...the church was covering up actual crimes and keeping them even from the authorities. The NFL did not do such a thing. Did the Ravens ask for leniance...yes. But was any of it actually covered up from police or a judge?

Edit:...why isn't the public more pissed about the slap on the wrist Rice got from a judge. Or the number of other criminal issues by players of all leagues and they don't see much punishment from our own criminal justice system? Why don't we hold our elected officials to the standard some of you want to hold Goodell too (when he wasn't even the one committing the crimes).

Just calling him incompetent and constantly wanting his head for this as if he punched some woman or hit a kid is the laughable part.

What commissioner has the public liked recently? During their tenures, nearly every commissioner is disliked. And the public always thinks they know better how to run a league. Its laughable how ignorant people are about it.

Ive asked before...in multiple places...one of the biggest issues people bring up with Goodell is inconsistency. What has he been inconsistent about? Not just vague things...bring actual examples.

Also read some idiot comparing this to the Catholic Church. Please...the church was covering up actual crimes and keeping them even from the authorities. The NFL did not do such a thing. Did the Ravens ask for leniance...yes. But was any of it actually covered up from police or a judge?
I'm fairly new year, but I am doing my best to hold this tongue of mine to a lot of the hatred.

The amount of people here without class, intelligence and understanding that their opinion is not law is amazing isn't it?

As a member of society, I am ashamed that people think that they should have a say in everything that results in a punishment. People asked for Rice to get booted, he did, were they satisfied? People want ADP gone, are they satisfied? Hardy, gone, they satisfied? No, they still talk looking for someone to blame.

If Goodell gets fired or resigns would anyone be satisfied? No, you can say you would, but the way people are never satisfied says otherwise.

I'm fairly new year, but I am doing my best to hold this tongue of mine to a lot of the hatred.

The amount of people here without class, intelligence and understanding that their opinion is not law is amazing isn't it?

As a member of society, I am ashamed that people think that they should have a say in everything that results in a punishment. People asked for Rice to get booted, he did, were they satisfied? People want ADP gone, are they satisfied? Hardy, gone, they satisfied? No, they still talk looking for someone to blame.

If Goodell gets fired or resigns would anyone be satisfied? No, you can say you would, but the way people are never satisfied says otherwise.
If Goodell was held to his own standard as to truth telling and being responsible for his own organization's inner workings in the face of public allegations he would be suspended for a year. That would suffice.

Who here is saying that their opinion is law?

The NFL's product is a pure entertainment product. It's value lies solely in how the public perceives the game and the entity running it.

If I think that the game has been corrupted by a commissioner that does special favors for certain teams and protects perpetrators of domestic violence in doing so, then I am perfectly in my right to say that I am dissatisfied with their product and that it no longer entertains me.

You telling other people what value they can place on their entertainment is ridiculous.

Who here is saying that their opinion is law?

The NFL's product is a pure entertainment product. It's value lies solely in how the public perceives the game and the entity running it.

If I think that the game has been corrupted by a commissioner that does special favors for certain teams and protects perpetrators of domestic violence in doing so, then I am perfectly in my right to say that I am dissatisfied with their product and that it no longer entertains me.

You telling other people what value they can place on their entertainment is ridiculous.
You wouldnt know that by visiting this site or watching sports networks lately.

You are right its entertainment. Why do you care what the commish does or what he covers up? Does it change the game? Does it effect your life?

Its like caring what a record label does to an artist for doing something illegal. Its dumb and it makes everyone in the public think their opinion on the topic matters.

Edit:...why isn't the public more pissed about the slap on the wrist Rice got from a judge. Or the number of other criminal issues by players of all leagues and they don't see much punishment from our own criminal justice system? Why don't we hold our elected officials to the standard some of you want to hold Goodell too (when he wasn't even the one committing the crimes).
Imagine Goodell trying to handle the Donald Sterling incident. No, really, think about how that would have gone. Just for a minute.He is a complete buffoon.

Imagine Goodell trying to handle the Donald Sterling incident. No, really, think about how that would have gone. Just for a minute.He is a complete buffoon.
Probably would have went down very close to the same if the NFL owners acted the same as the NBA owners did as far as voting Sterling out.

Probably would have went down very close to the same if the NFL owners acted the same as the NBA owners did as far as voting Sterling out.
Wrong. Silver was the force of deep intellect driving the Sterling situation. He led the owners down the right path. Goodell would have either been paralyzed, or actively going down the wrong path. Your defense of him is bizarre.

Wrong. Silver was the force of deep intellect driving the Sterling situation. He led the owners down the right path. Goodell would have either been paralyzed, or actively going down the wrong path. Your defense of him is bizarre.
My defense is so bizarre that instead of talking about what i have actually said about Goodell and public perception...you created a made up scenario of your opinion of how he might have handled a situation in the NBA involving an owner.

Do you really believe the NBA commish, employed by the owners, is the one telling the owners what to do? Have you never been employed by a rich billionaire? They NEVER are told what to do, try to tell them and you will see the wrath from the rich old white men. If Sterling went it is because the owners wanted it, not some stiff the owners approve to be the front man for the mistakes made the decision.

Defense? I wouldnt call his stance a defense as much as it is a different point of view, not everyones mind is made up by the media.

Random Question. Goodell and Bisciotti are sitting in the room by themselves or with the other owners.

Who has more power and influence?

Dont you get it?

More than half of the people who want Goodell out, like me. agree with you 100%; but are pissed that Goodell let the NFL become the NCL; the National Cause League. He made his death bed by placating every cause that has come down the road, and there are many who are pleased he might die in that bed because he has set a standard in discipline & political correctness that the NFL can never possibly live up to and along the way, in making sure he has listened to every cause that has come down the pike, has watered down the game to make it practically unrecognizable vs a generation ago.

So, I agree...it is ridiculous that nearly every media critic is calling for Goodell's firing because they claim he isnt doing enough; when in reality, as you say, it's law enforcements job before anyone else; yet I cheer those critics on because I want the NFL to learn that placating these causes du jour never, ever results in them saying "thank you"; instead it only attracts more causes and more problems. Unfortunately, even if it had a new commish, I doubt the NFL has an epiphany to realize they've chosen the wrong path.

Dont you get it?

More than half of the people who want Goodell out, like me. agree with you 100%; but are pissed that Goodell let the NFL become the NCL; the National Cause League. He made his death bed by placating every cause that has come down the road, and there are many who are pleased he might die in that bed because he has set a standard in discipline & political correctness that the NFL can never possibly live up to and along the way, in making sure he has listened to every cause that has come down the pike, has watered down the game to make it practically unrecognizable vs a generation ago.

So, I agree...it is ridiculous that nearly every media critic is calling for Goodell's firing because they claim he isnt doing enough; when in reality, as you say, it's law enforcements job before anyone else; yet I cheer those critics on because I want the NFL to learn that placating these causes du jour never, ever results in them saying "thank you"; instead it only attracts more causes and more problems. Unfortunately, even if it had a new commish, I doubt the NFL has an epiphany to realize they've chosen the wrong path.
Just how has he made it this?

The NFL is going down this path to cover their asses from future lawsuits.

Pretty amazing to look back on the #### show from just one month ago and how little anyone cares now. NFL commish might be the best job on earth.

Pretty amazing to look back on the #### show from just one month ago and how little anyone cares now. NFL commish might be the best job on earth.
When does Rog testify?

It's almost impossible to extract an NFL commish, actually as hard to impeach a politician, doesn't mean he's doing a good job or that the owners are happy.

Did anyone see this?

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/10/27/nfl-week-8-ben-roethlisberger-steelers-record-passing/6/

8. I think Sean Gilbert has a very small chance of unseating De Smith as the executive director of the NFL Players Association, but he sure did provide some good sportswriter fodder Friday when he released the combined salaries of some big stars who got their current jobs in 2006: Roger Goodell (who got the commish’s job in August 2006), Adrian Peterson and Calvin Johnson (both drafted in 2007), among others. Goodell: $210 million. Johnson: $94 million. Peterson: $69 million. Chew on those for a while.
Are ya freak'n kidding me?

Rodger Godell made a fifth of a billion dollars since he took over as commish?

What has he done?

I have to question paying THAT MUCH to a guy whose epitaph has been that he protected a wife beater but went out of his way to and persecute pot smokers.

This snake has to go. Hasn't done anything to justify that obscene salary.

Did anyone see this?

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/10/27/nfl-week-8-ben-roethlisberger-steelers-record-passing/6/

8. I think Sean Gilbert has a very small chance of unseating De Smith as the executive director of the NFL Players Association, but he sure did provide some good sportswriter fodder Friday when he released the combined salaries of some big stars who got their current jobs in 2006: Roger Goodell (who got the commish’s job in August 2006), Adrian Peterson and Calvin Johnson (both drafted in 2007), among others. Goodell: $210 million. Johnson: $94 million. Peterson: $69 million. Chew on those for a while.

What has he done?
Make the owners obscene amounts of money?

Did anyone see this?

What has he done?
Make the owners obscene amounts of money?
He is responsible?

Then I'm sorry because I was under the delusional impression that their were other guys named players and coaches and general managers and scouts and people in every NFL team who worked but my bad, it was Rodger Godell. He made the owners billions so obviously he should get some crumbs thrown his direction that amounted to over a fifth of a billion dollars. And great PR by trying to sweep tape of a beating under the table while farting the company line out of his backside with the egregious war on pot smokers.

Give that man a raise. Billion a year should make everyone happy especially all of those little people like the players who should cut their salaries in half to make sure Rodge gets his.

Did anyone see this?

Are ya freak'n kidding me?

What has he done?

I have to question paying THAT MUCH to a guy whose epitaph has been that he protected a wife beater but went out of his way to and persecute pot smokers.

This snake has to go. Hasn't done anything to justify that obscene salary.
How did "he" go out of his way to persecute pot smokers?

He "has to go" because the owners see fit to pay the guy that much?

Quit crying because Josh Gordon couldn't keep his own nose out of trouble...despite being busted multiple times.

The most brilliant thing Goodell has accomplished is to convince the public to pretty much side with the owners in any conflict with the players. Football fans generally want the league to rule the players with an iron fist.

Yep.

If any kind of scandal ever takes down Goodell, it will have to happen pretty much instantly -- from breaking news to resignation in something like 48-72 hours.

@GregABedard: "3 months ago, there were headlines telling us Goodell can't survive this. Now he's back, & one of the results of his blunder upon blunder is that Goodell has more arbitrary power than ever under the new player conduct policy."

Users who are viewing this thread