What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Gore Hall of Fame or NOT? (2 Viewers)

I don’t think you understand the definition of irony. 
No.  I'm very much in the know and also aware of the realm called reality.
The fact that I pointed out that @CalBear is viewing Lynch as a Cal homer doesn't fit any definition of irony.

I would also point out that I can be a homer about Rivers - what I assume you are referencing - and still recognize when another is being a homer about another player, as is the case here.

Finally, what I actually said was that if he feels Lynch is in Sayers' tier as a player, then I think he has his Cal homer glasses on. Do you think Lynch is in Sayers' tier as a player? If not, then you agree with me, which shows there is no irony in my statement.

I assume you were going for  :potkettle: , which is not irony.

Last edited by a moderator:
The fact that I pointed out that @CalBear is viewing Lynch as a Cal homer doesn't fit any definition of irony.

I would also point out that I can be a homer about Rivers - what I assume you are referencing - and still recognize when another is being a homer about another player, as is the case here.

Finally, what I actually said was that if he feels Lynch is in Sayers' tier as a player, then I think he has his Cal homer glasses on. Do you think Lynch is in Sayers' tier as a player? If not, then you agree with me, which shows there is no irony in my statement.

I assume you were going for  :potkettle: , which is not irony.
I think Sayers' stats are not why he's in the Hall of Fame. The closest analogy is to Bo Jackson who is nowhere near the Hall, although there's a bit of an analogy to Terrell Davis who is in. But TD got in because of his Super Bowl runs, while Sayers never even played in a post-season game.

Sayers' mythology is larger than his accomplishments.

A case could be made that Gore or Edge are better RBs than Lynch. That's not the point I'm arguing. Lynch's distinctive football and personal style made him the most famous RB of his generation, in the way that the Bus was at least among the most famous of his (along with Faulk, probably). Gore doesn't have that going for him. But, his longevity is giving him a bit of a leg up in that category, as even his pedestrian runs these days get a lot of "...and there's Gore, still doing it at age 36!" from the commentators. 

Thinking about this I dug up this Marshawn Cal highlight reel, and man, he was amazing to watch. It starts with a run in the Big Game against Stanford when he was a freshman (and backup to Justin Forsett) that included a good stiff-arm and a reversal of field, presaging the later earthquake run. Thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIXxy3krTvc

I think Sayers' stats are not why he's in the Hall of Fame. The closest analogy is to Bo Jackson who is nowhere near the Hall, although there's a bit of an analogy to Terrell Davis who is in. But TD got in because of his Super Bowl runs, while Sayers never even played in a post-season game.
There is no real analogy between Jackson and Sayers. It's as if you ignored all of the facts I posted earlier about Sayers.

Bo Jackson played parts of 4 seasons in the NFL, never more than 11 games or 182 touches in a season. He had 18 career TDs, less than Sayers had in his rookie season. He had 3134 career YFS, just slightly more than Sayers had in his first two seasons.

Agree Davis is a better comparison to Sayers. Sayers was a stronger performer without postseason success. Davis was a great performer whose incredible postseason success put him over the top. But Sayers >> Davis IMO, and Bo Jackson isn't even in the conversation.

Not sure why there is so much discussion about Lynch. He had four very strong (but not phenomenal) seasons in SEA and a couple of decent years in BUF. IMO, he's borderline and far from a lock for the HOF.

Since 2005, based on YFS for RB's, Gore, Peterson, McCoy, Steven Jackson, and Forte have more yards than Lynch. McCoy is only 4 TD behind Lynch in terms of total TD. To start another side bar discussion (Gore --> Lynch --> McCoy), but where do people fall on McCoy as a HOF candidate? (Twice first team All Pro, 6 Pro Bowls, and 5 seasons of 1500+ YFS.)

Based on numbers and accolades, McCoy probably has a slight advantage over Lynch (1 All Pro season, 5 Pro Bowls, 3 seasons of 1500+ YFS). But Lynch won a title and McCoy hasn't (so far).
I'd honestly go McCoy>Lynch>Gore. I wouldn't put any of them in the HOF though. 

In the spirit of the NFL's 100th season, If I were to rank the best 30 RB's who came into the league since 1989, so the last 30 years, I'd go:

1. Sanders 2. Emmitt 3. Peterson 4. Faulk 5. Tomlinson 6. Holmes(probably my hill to die on) 7. Davis 8. Bettis 9. McCoy 10. Charles(I swear I'm not a Chiefs fan) 11. Martin 12. Lynch 13. Edge 14. George(not holding low YPC against him) 15. Barber 16. MJD 17. CJ2K 18. Alexander 19. Murray 20. Westbrook 21. Ricky 22. Lewis 23. Gore 24. Watters 25. Green 26. Dillon 27. Dunn(1st ballot off field HOF'er) 28. Jackson 29. Rice 30. Forte

I tend to rate by yearly accomplishments versus peers, ability to take over a game, and peak seasons, and don't greatly value longevity, especially at RB. Longevity is the participation trophy of HOF qualifications.

Those top-7 are HOF'ers to me, and the rest are not. 

In the spirit of the NFL's 100th season, If I were to rank the best 30 RB's who came into the league since 1989, so the last 30 years, I'd go:

1. Sanders 2. Emmitt 3. Peterson 4. Faulk 5. Tomlinson 6. Holmes(probably my hill to die on) 7. Davis 8. Bettis 9. McCoy 10. Charles(I swear I'm not a Chiefs fan) 11. Martin 12. Lynch 13. Edge 14. George(not holding low YPC against him) 15. Barber 16. MJD 17. CJ2K 18. Alexander 19. Murray 20. Westbrook 21. Ricky 22. Lewis 23. Gore 24. Watters 25. Green 26. Dillon 27. Dunn(1st ballot off field HOF'er) 28. Jackson 29. Rice 30. Forte

I tend to rate by yearly accomplishments versus peers, ability to take over a game, and peak seasons, and don't greatly value longevity, especially at RB. Longevity is the participation trophy of HOF qualifications.

At least you're consistent.

I loved priest (happened to be in Kansas during his time there, man that was fun), but are three years on the best offense in the league enough of a career? Those 3 years might be the best collectively ever. So there's a good argument. 

If you could package the OL, Gonzo, priest, and Richardson and put them in the hall together, absolutely. 

I think Lynch is a borderline at best candidate for the Hall, but the TD vs the Saints plus the nickname Beast Mode plus his overall numbers could be enough to get him in, although his treatment of the media could work against him.  His disdain for the media and league-required press conferences likely ticked off a few writers who could be voting yes or no for him here in a few years. 

travdogg said:

Jeesh…..since you are so obviously a Chiefs fan.....no love for Larry Johnson?  Hahhahaha

Users who are viewing this thread