What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Gore/ Hunter 2012 (1 Viewer)

koreansteve

Footballguy
Didn't see any 49ers games last year (living in Kenya now), so I'd like to get some perspective on this.

Gore will be 29 in April and always seems to be fighting through an injury or 2 each game. However, he posted 1,211 yds on 282 attempts, averaged 4.3 ypc, with 8 TDs in 2011.

Hunter will be 24 in September and averaged 4.2 ypc on 112 attempts in 2011.

Will Gore hold up for at least another year and post respectable numbers in 2012?

Will Gore start to slow down and provide Hunter enough room to take the reigns?

How good is Hunter and is he a true #1 RB?

I will let those more informed fill me in. Thanks.

'koreansteve said:
Didn't see any 49ers games last year (living in Kenya now), so I'd like to get some perspective on this.Gore will be 29 in April and always seems to be fighting through an injury or 2 each game. However, he posted 1,211 yds on 282 attempts, averaged 4.3 ypc, with 8 TDs in 2011.Hunter will be 24 in September and averaged 4.2 ypc on 112 attempts in 2011.Will Gore hold up for at least another year and post respectable numbers in 2012?Will Gore start to slow down and provide Hunter enough room to take the reigns?How good is Hunter and is he a true #1 RB?I will let those more informed fill me in. Thanks.
I'm extremely high on Kendall Hunter, but I have no more information than you or the next guy to post. I see many similarities between the Ravens '07 and '08 change of RB guard with McGahee/Rice and the 49ers '11 and potential '12 season. What I do know is that we can expect likely a 60-40 split with Gore/Hunter. Hunter did do enough in '11 to earn more carries and Harbaugh already stated as much. The question becomes does Hunter take same step in 2012 that Rice took in 2008? Does Gore slow a just enough to let Hunter sneak in as the primary RB? Does Hunter's skills mature like Rice's skills did in his sophomore season? I think it's quite possible......... given all injuries Gore has sustained that his body feels older than 29 years old. If I had to predict, setting injuries in 2012 aside, Hunter will make a serious dent in Gore's carries this year.....but the real change of guard will occur in 2013. The question all of us want to know is: Is Hunter more Ray Rice, an every down stud, or is Hunter more like a Leon Washington? He's definitely someone to take a chance on in dynasty leagues.

Last edited by a moderator:
The question all of us want to know is: Is Hunter more Ray Rice, an every down stud, or is Hunter more like a Leon Washington? He's definitely someone to take a chance on in dynasty leagues.
I agree he's a nice guy to have to see what happens, but IMO his value is too high at the moment to make it reasonable to acquire him. His owners are probably thinking he'll be the next Ray Rice as you state; I recently inquired about him in one league and was told I would have to give the 1.05 + something else, which I had little interest in. I'm also not quite sure the 9ers view Hunter as an every down RB the way the Ravens see Rice. If Hunter is that good, meaning elite, then he'll force his way on to the field. But if he's just a decent RB then I fear he'll always be a part-time guy and the 9ers will bring someone else in when Gore wears down.

Gore looked slower last year. Should have a good year though with Davis Crabtree and if Moss comes to play. There won't be stacking the line.

I think Gore is still the man there and deservedly so. He should be able to put up another quality season if he stays healthy. Hunter does look good though so I think they will give him enough carries to keep Gore a little fresher. In the end I think Gore will see his touches drop a bit with Hunter picking up a few more but Gore will still see the most touches and be productive.

I would not be the least bit surprised if the 49ers took a RB in the 1st round.
No chance in hell. The niners view Hunter as an every down back......I'll look back for that statement. It was something like "he's way more than a 3rd down back".
I've actually heard the opposite - I'd love to see where they label him an every down back. I like Hunter, so if this is true and they view him as the future, he could be a great pickup (almost) regardless of price.

No chance in hell. The niners view Hunter as an every down back......I'll look back for that statement. It was something like "he's way more than a 3rd down back".
Tone down the anger. As a fan and follower of the team don't listen to Carl, he is flat out wrong, the 49ers do NOT consider Hunter an every down back. As a fan I hope he is the next Jim Brown/Walter Payton but he's not. Carl must own him in fantasy cause he is fantasizing and making #### up.

I think Gore is still the man there and deservedly so. He should be able to put up another quality season if he stays healthy. Hunter does look good though so I think they will give him enough carries to keep Gore a little fresher. In the end I think Gore will see his touches drop a bit with Hunter picking up a few more but Gore will still see the most touches and be productive.
It's nice to see someone who has intelligence on this topic. Obviously you have no agenda and are telling it like it is. I agree with everything posted.

I expect more of the same from Gore this year.

hot early of the year start, then after halloween slowed by wear n tear and eventual injury.

In redraft Id be looking to sell in the early season. In dynasty u r stuck w him, wont get enough value on the return

Tone down the anger. As a fan and follower of the team don't listen to Carl, he is flat out wrong, the 49ers do NOT consider Hunter an every down back. As a fan I hope he is the next Jim Brown/Walter Payton but he's not. Carl must own him in fantasy cause he is fantasizing and making #### up.
Really!? I make stuff up!? Coming straight from the mouth of Baalke......49ers GM. Hunter is a 4 down contributor. MS you are the one with the ridiculous threads and statements......many would attest to this.

I don't want to assume we have Gore vs Hunter owners in here, but I wouldn't mind a recent link, indicating they do or do not see Hunter as a 4 down back. Please and thank you.

Gore signed a 3 year contract last year. Hunter will remain the #2 until at least 2013, but he looks very good on his carries. Time share on a run first team.

Gore signed a 3 year contract last year. Hunter will remain the #2 until at least 2013, but he looks very good on his carries. Time share on a run first team.
Both of these. Both guys earned the right to carry the ball and until Alex Smith becomes a better QB, they will be a run first team which allows both of these guys to produce RB2 and RB3 numbers respectively for 2012. Hunter's trump card is obviously the high chance of a Gore injury.Let's leave the personal attacks for another forum as well... :thumbup:

Depends on Gore's health which is unpredictable. Niners showed a real willingness to run Gore into the turf last year and he rewarded them even if he did lack some long speed, so if he's healthy enough, he'll get the carries.

If Gore goes down, then Hunter will be a RB1, but Dixon (or some mid late round pick) will be the short yardage guy. I want to say it would be like Rice (hunter) and McGahee (Dixon), but SF Harbaugh is not that predictable and I can't see him inserting the same short yardage back in like clockwork whenever the Niners get to the 10 yard line. I really think Gore/Hunter is the McFadden/Bush of 2012.

Really!? I make stuff up!? Coming straight from the mouth of Baalke......49ers GM. Hunter is a 4 down contributor. MS you are the one with the ridiculous threads and statements......many would attest to this.
Worst thread ever (You win)

I stand by every comment I made in that thread. You on the other hand repeatedly antagonize others in this forum. Over and over and over again.....I'm not the only one you harass.

I stand by every comment I made in that thread. You on the other hand repeatedly antagonize others in this forum. Over and over and over again.....I'm not the only one you harass.
Get a grip on reality. I simply said you sound pissed because you called many members idiots, ####### and morons. Check yourself.

Get a grip on reality. I simply said you sound pissed because you called many members idiots, ####### and morons. Check yourself.
So you'd say your reputation is well respected around here?

Unlikely. Fact is if Mark Ingram is not a message boarder I haven't attacked anybody by calling people names like idiot, moron, mentally challenged. Can you say the same?

The niners view Hunter as an every down back......I'll look back for that statement. It was something like "he's way more than a 3rd down back".
By all accounts this is incorrect.
:goodposting:
http://www.csnbayarea.com/05/14/11/img-srchttpcsnbayareacomcommonglobal_ima/mobile_landing.html?blockID=522672"We're not looking at this guy as a change-of-pace back," Baalke said Thursday during his annual film session with reporters."This is a guy we feel can run the power game, can run between the tackles, can get out on the edges, can pass protect, can come out of the backfield and catch the football, can return kicks (and) can play on coverage teams, if we ask him to."

The niners view Hunter as an every down back......I'll look back for that statement. It was something like "he's way more than a 3rd down back".
http://www.csnbayarea.com/05/14/11/img-srchttpcsnbayareacomcommonglobal_ima/mobile_landing.html?blockID=522672"We're not looking at this guy as a change-of-pace back," Baalke said Thursday during his annual film session with reporters."This is a guy we feel can run the power game, can run between the tackles, can get out on the edges, can pass protect, can come out of the backfield and catch the football, can return kicks (and) can play on coverage teams, if we ask him to."
Thank you, as a Hunter owner this gives hope. Whether or not he can live up to this remains to be seen. But at least the possibility seems to be hinted at here.

Honestly, this kind of crap sickens me. I want to enjoy an honest conversation about the value of Gore and Hunter and their prospect next year and you little boys come in here and whip it out to compare length and girth. I bet over half of us would rather you just get a hotel room and work it out rather than flash your goods all over a damn good thread.There I said it.

There's always a chance he becomes the guy but the local beat reporters have consistently said he's not believed to be an every day running back. Personally I hope he becomes the next Marshall Faulk. But if I had to gamble right now I'd put money on a change of pace guy.

There's always a chance he becomes the guy but the local beat reporters have consistently said he's not believed to be an every day running back. Personally I hope he becomes the next Marshall Faulk. But if I had to gamble right now I'd put money on a change of pace guy.
When a guy is mentioned as a guy that can return kicks and play on coverage teams, he is not viewed as a #1 every-down back.

When a guy is mentioned as a guy that can return kicks and play on coverage teams, he is not viewed as a #1 every-down back.
Really? Where do you get that from? CJ Spiller returned kicks. He's beginning to be viewed as an every down back, and was for the last part of last season when Fred jackson went down. I think the fact that a player is mentioned as a guy that can return kicks is largely irrelevant to his prospects as an every down back.

Really? Where do you get that from? CJ Spiller returned kicks. He's beginning to be viewed as an every down back, and was for the last part of last season when Fred jackson went down. I think the fact that a player is mentioned as a guy that can return kicks is largely irrelevant to his prospects as an every down back.
I agree, dumb statment, Tiki Barber, Brian Westbrook, on and on

Gore looked slower last year. Should have a good year though with Davis Crabtree and if Moss comes to play. There won't be stacking the line.
I agree that Gore should have more open space at the line with these WRs stretching the field. Gore looked solid last year,his last 2 games in the playoffs he looked spry imo, going for over 100 against both the Saints and Giants.

No chance in hell.
Is really that inconceivable that with the 30th pick in the draft the best player available might be a running back? The Panthers took Jonathan Stewart after taking Deanglo Williams 2 years earlier.
It's possible if like, Richardson falls to 30. But we took losses on our OL, and RB just isn't a need. We have two RBs with 4+ YPC when everyone in the world knew we were going to run.

Well I agree we don't know how he will do with 250+ carries and I agree Gore looked more effective on a play by play basis. But we know he is good in pass protection, can catch, is explosive, fights for extra yards, and makes Dixon look absolutely horrible. Let's have some cautious, tempered optimism :)ETA: as far as local beat guys, Murph and Mac were begging for Hunter to get the start over Gore until 21 turned it around. Anyway we'll see.

Not on and on actually. You just cherry picked guys no longer in the league. Ray Rice. LeSean McCoy. Adrian Peterson. Arian Foster. Steven Jackson. Matt Forte. Ryan Mathews.Special teams players are not every down backs. Dumb statment has an e in it genius.

I don't think guys like Tiki and Westbrook were viewed as #1 RBs *at the time* they were playing special teams. They forced their way into bigger roles because they were too talented to keep off the field. If Hunter is viewed the same way, then he is going to have to force the coaches to play him more as well. He's not going to be handed the job, he's going to have to beat others out for it. If he's up to the task, he'll flourish, but it seems like there is at least a chance that he never makes it out of a 3rd down/COP role.

How many GMs/Owners go around saying guys they intend to keep on their team aren't good enough to play every down? Is this coach speak? Thats the question. That being said, it doesn't ultimately matter all that much what anybody thinks including management- it matters what Hunter produces when he gets the chances he seems very likely to get. Opportunity is huge. We very likely will get to find out a lot about this guy, and there are a lot of backs in the league you cant say that about. If Hunter is good enough to be a legit #1RB, it will become evident through his play. If not, not. There have indeed been any number of guys who have out produced what their teams thought they could do (and vice-versa certainly).

'Touchdown There said:
'bicycle_seat_sniffer said:
'Ranethe said:
'Touchdown There said:
'Dr. Awesome said:
'mdlane said:
Not on and on actually. You just cherry picked guys no longer in the league. Ray Rice. LeSean McCoy. Adrian Peterson. Arian Foster. Steven Jackson. Matt Forte. Ryan Mathews.Special teams players are not every down backs. Dumb statment has an e in it genius.
Adrian Peterson returned kicks. So did Deangelo Williams, Jonathan Stewart, and MJD. When RB gets drafted to a team with an established RB, they do whatever it takes to get on the field.The point is, Hunter has shown potential so far. He can catch, he is good in pass protection, he can run between the tackles, he is an explosive runner. None of those things are contested. And it's not as thought Hunter was our primary or even secondary kick returner. That was Ginn and (sadly) Williams. What's standing in Hunter's way are (1) Gore has another year left in him - I think - and (2) we don't know how Hunter will hold up with 70% or more of the snaps in a game like Gore.And I don't think there are any local beat writers that would disagree with anything I said above. People have cautious, tempered optimism about Hunter and want to see more of him this year. I'm a huge fan. I read alot. Too much. Because some of our local writers are garbage.

By the way, re: RB at pick 30, there is a really good size/speed combo local guy (from Fremont) name Robert Turbin projected for round 3.. I could see the Niners drafting him if he falls enough.

'Touchdown There said:
'bicycle_seat_sniffer said:
'Ranethe said:
'Touchdown There said:
'Dr. Awesome said:
'mdlane said:
Adrian Peterson returned kicks. So did Deangelo Williams, Jonathan Stewart, and MJD. When RB gets drafted to a team with an established RB, they do whatever it takes to get on the field.The point is, Hunter has shown potential so far. He can catch, he is good in pass protection, he can run between the tackles, he is an explosive runner. None of those things are contested. And it's not as thought Hunter was our primary or even secondary kick returner. That was Ginn and (sadly) Williams. What's standing in Hunter's way are (1) Gore has another year left in him - I think - and (2) we don't know how Hunter will hold up with 70% or more of the snaps in a game like Gore.And I don't think there are any local beat writers that would disagree with anything I said above. People have cautious, tempered optimism about Hunter and want to see more of him this year. I'm a huge fan. I read alot. Too much. Because some of our local writers are garbage.
:goodposting: Perfect sum up. I own in two leagues but not expecting anything per se. Potential opportunity, some flashes of ability, enough to hold with, as put above, "cautious optimism". Whether he has been used on ST doesn't factor into it one bit IMO.

I have Hunter on one of my rosters and I am cautiously optimistic that he could tap into a Tiki Barber or Brian Westbrook type of career; however, I am also realistic that at his size and with the direction that the NFL has evolved to with multiple RBBC backfields, that he likely won't be come a high workload player either. He could still be very effective player for NFL and fantasy football purposes.

OTAs, training camp reports and preseason will tell us a little more this year about him.

Whether he has been used on ST doesn't factor into it one bit IMO.
You are using past tense. I am not talking about last year. I am talking about fantasy projections for 2012 because the thread is "Replying to Gore/Hunter 2012". He is projected by the coaches to be a big special teams contributor. I have no qualms with some of the guys that played special teams before they became the lead back. The point is that once you are the #1, you are no longer a big special teams contributor. There is not enough gas left in the tank if your #1 rb sprinted 50 yards on kickoff coverage. This means that, for 2012, Frank Gore is still the man to own. He could get hurt and an opportunity for Hunter would be there, but then you are just predicting injuries.You can agree to disagree, but I am going to stick with my original statement on this one. Hunter is the special teams guy, Gore is the #1. Gore was a 2011 team captain, and he does not like to share his carries very much. If this is redraft, 2012 only, you should have Frank Gore.

By the way, re: RB at pick 30, there is a really good size/speed combo local guy (from Fremont) name Robert Turbin projected for round 3.. I could see the Niners drafting him if he falls enough.
I think it's pretty obvious SF will draft a running back. But that's not necessarily anything against Hunter. It's more a statement against Dixon. And yeah some of the writers are atrocious. But I was referring to the Matts.

Something to bear in mind:

Gore's receptions the last 3 years:

2009: 52

2010: 46

2011: 17

He had exactly 10 receptions on 13 targets in the last 10 games of the regular season before catching 13 passes on 15 targets in the two playoff games. In the last 5 games of the year, Hunter had 9 receptions on 14 targets. So it does look like Gore was being phased out of the passing game, while Hunter's role was slowly increasing. I also think Harbaugh is very mindful of having a healthy Gore for the playoffs, so he scaled back his usage a bit, especially as the season wore on. If this trend continues, Gore essentially becomes Michael Turner wirth 10% - 20% less carries, which is still very valuable, but it means that his days as an elite fantasy RB are likely over.

Users who are viewing this thread