What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Government Response To The Coronavirus (7 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Update on stimulus negotiations, per Politico. Things are coming together, but there’s a long way to go.

GOP CONCESSIONS
$400/week unemployment bonuses rather than $100/week

Eviction moratorium through Dec. 15

$150bn in state and local government assistance instead of $0

DEM CONCESSIONS
$10bn in USPS funding instead of $25bn

So far, a pretty good deal for Dems. McConnell is reportedly worried that Mnuchin is giving up too much.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Smile
Reactions: rct
So far, a pretty good deal for Dems. McConnell is reportedly worried that Mnuchin is giving up too much
Given that Trump is the world’s best deal maker- this a telling statement about the state of his Presidency. One of the biggest congressional deals ever, and he is not a player. 

• Thinking
I seem to remember the Dems claiming racism when Trump announced the China travel ban.

It's an easy call to say what you would have done after it has happened, but  I have no pretense of objective rational in these forums at all.  Here let me help you:   It is Trump's fault, it's all Trump's fault.  Hope that helps.

Carry on like you carry on.
If Trumps China Ban had been the first step in a rock solid Federal plan that tried to fight COVID incursion into the United States....he could point to this as the moment he won the 2020 election.

As it stands now, it's more of a "broken clock is right twice" moment.....and as other posters have pointed out...it wasn't enough.  For people to even put this on his Covid Fighting Resume shows the absolute lack of content for that resume.  

If Trumps China Ban had been the first step in a rock solid Federal plan that tried to fight COVID incursion into the United States....he could point to this as the moment he won the 2020 election.

As it stands now, it's more of a "broken clock is right twice" moment.....and as other posters have pointed out...it wasn't enough.  For people to even put this on his Covid Fighting Resume shows the absolute lack of content for that resume.  
This is the resume- “I banned travel to China, and everyone thought that was bad, but now they say it was good.” Go back and look and you’ll see several fbgs posts that will explain how this wasn’t really that helpful when we were ignoring the fact that it was spreading here already, and that a travel ban wasn’t going to solve much of anything- not to mention the easily circumvented restrictions still let a lot of people in from China. 
Also, during his axios interview he brags about how he shut down the economy when he didn’t shut down ####, in fact tweeted “liberate Michigan” and other states because he thought it was a partisan ploy to hurt the economy to make him look bad. I have friends this weekend that told me that covid would all go away as soon as Biden gets elected. That is so stupid to think- this virus and the economic toll it has created will be felt for years regardless of who wins this election. With such a botched response to date, it will surely be a struggle, and I’m sure the republicans who reopened and fought mask mandates will rail on how bad everything is under Biden and the Democrats, and Trump will keep tweeting and probably make appearances on Fox Or OAN or start his own fake news channel and rail against the administration that replaces him. 

The nursing home industry has big political supporters in Trump, McConnell,  DeSantis, and others. It's symbiotic relationship.  No wonder they've received lots of COVID-19 money; I wouldn't trust the audits of most of them. Byzantine is the word to describe their business arrangements. The Miami Herald had to go to court earlier in the pandemic to convince DeSantis to release info about deaths at LTC facilities. Now, McConnell wants to give them liability protection in the next stimulus bill. Lots of sleazy characters. As the USA ages, it will only get worse.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/coronavirus/article244516407.html

The nursing home industry has big political supporters in Trump, McConnell,  DeSantis, and others. It's symbiotic relationship.  No wonder they've received lots of COVID-19 money; I wouldn't trust the audits of most of them. Byzantine is the word to describe their business arrangements. The Miami Herald had to go to court earlier in the pandemic to convince DeSantis to release info about deaths at LTC facilities. Now, McConnell wants to give them liability protection in the next stimulus bill. Lots of sleazy characters. As the USA ages, it will only get worse.

Is Kate Brown, the Democrat Governor in Oregon sleazy?

https://www.oregonlive.com/news/2020/04/nursing-homes-showered-cash-on-oregon-political-candidates-now-they-face-questions-over-coronavirus-transparency.html

• Thinking

Is Kate Brown, the Democrat Governor in Oregon sleazy?

https://www.oregonlive.com/news/2020/04/nursing-homes-showered-cash-on-oregon-political-candidates-now-they-face-questions-over-coronavirus-transparency.html
At first glance, seems that way :shrug:

Or was this rhetorical in nature?

Right. Kind of like all the Covid would be gone as soon as it got warm. Then it would all be gone on May 15 etc.  He just makes things up.
Fauci said he’s cautiously optimistic that a vaccine will be available this year. Noting that Trump is not the most nuanced guy, that answer doesn’t seem entirely made up out of whole cloth. 

• Thinking
I'd say his track record here of promising solutions is a little suspect.
That’s fair. Hold him to the standard if November/December comes and a vaccine isn’t available. But progress on vaccines seems to be coming along nicely and on the surface, his statement seemed fine. 

Right. Kind of like all the Covid would be gone as soon as it got warm. Then it would all be gone on May 15 etc.  He just makes things up.
He’s been wrong on many things Covid-related.  But this statement on the surface was fine.  Don’t let your political blinders get in the way of potentially great medical news.

• Laughing
It annoys the #### out of me that medical treatment has suddenly become political.  Now, a vaccine will be rushed to maximize its political impact?  Come on.
Yes it stinks, but it’s happening on both sides and has been for months.   

I doubt anyone is rushing a medical vaccine for the election.  But they probably are rushing it to try and save lives.

• Sad
He’s been wrong on many things Covid-related.  But this statement on the surface was fine.  Don’t let your political blinders get in the way of potentially great medical news.
First it was nothing to worry about and soon there would be zero cases. We're at over 5 million now and his administration has still yet to release a comprehensive, national, plan on how to deal with this. He has been making up random dates for when this will be gone for months. Don't you blame me for his bologna. 

Doesn't that generally mean he's hopeful?
Yes. I was saying that Trump’s response probably has some basis in what he’s heard about the latest promising vaccine trial. But because Trump is Trump, he didn’t add qualifying language like anyone else would. 

I think Trump says about a million idiotic things a week, but I’d cut him some slack on this one. 

• Thinking
No, this was proven false in the impeachment thread.
It was?  How so?  Please explain rather than proclaiming something false.

Because he was, in fact, impeached.  The articles of impeachment were, in fact, for abuse of power (also obstruction of congress).  The things in my statement were factually accurate.

https://www.congress.gov/116/bills/hres755/BILLS-116hres755enr.pdf

There are the articles of impeachment for you...that did actually happen.

So...please explain which part of my statement is false.

It annoys the #### out of me that medical treatment has suddenly become political.  Now, a vaccine will be rushed to maximize its political impact?  Come on.
Wait.  You guys ##### all the time about needing an instant vaccine for everything but when Trump tries to push one out you claim it's for political impact?  It doesn't matter what he does he can't win.  You guys twist every single thing he does around.

Let me guess. When the vaccine comes out November 4th you are all going to praise Biden for it, amirite?

I can only speak for myself, but based on everything I've been shown, I plan on really only trusting the stuff coming out of Oxford.  They've been completely transparent with their progress, setbacks, methodology etc.  I can say with confidence, they are doing things correctly.  I can't say the same for our pharmaceutical complex and I have no intentions of putting in my body anything that comes from it in such a short period of time knowing how badly they #### stuff up when they are allegedly "taking their time to do it right".  

And NONE of that position has ANYTHING to do with who the President is :shrug:  

I think all the researchers and companies working on a vaccine are already "rushing" to put out a safe vaccine as fast as they can.  My issue with Trump is that he lying when he says there will be a vaccine by election day.   No one else thinks that is realistic.  He is lying because he perceives that if people believe him that they will be more positive about the future, and early voters are therefore more likely to vote for him.

It appears that stimulus talks have stalled and we may not get another bill at all. That’s disastrous.

Dems came into negotiations wanting a $3 trillion bill like the HEROES act they passed a few months ago. Senate Rs wanted no more than $1 trillion. Schumer and Pelosi offered a $2 trillion compromise but couldn’t get Meadows on board. Throughout negotiations, it seems that Meadows (former tea party guy) has been the clog in the toilet. Mnuchin has been much more flexible and willing to compromise with Dems. 

Trump will reportedly attempt an executive order on unemployment, evictions, and payroll taxes soon.

caustic said:
It appears that stimulus talks have stalled and we may not get another bill at all. That’s disastrous.

Dems came into negotiations wanting a $3 trillion bill like the HEROES act they passed a few months ago. Senate Rs wanted no more than $1 trillion. Schumer and Pelosi offered a $2 trillion compromise but couldn’t get Meadows on board. Throughout negotiations, it seems that Meadows (former tea party guy) has been the clog in the toilet. Mnuchin has been much more flexible and willing to compromise with Dems. 

Trump will reportedly attempt an executive order on unemployment, evictions, and payroll taxes soon.
Interesting. I wonder if that's a strategy by Meadows. Clog up Congress so Trump comes in to "save the day".

Sounds like Trump is going to sign a bunch of ECs tonight.

I don't think there's any doubt that the federal government needs to put out another relief bill. But doing it by EC is EXTREMELY problematic. 

I will wait to see what the actual language is, but how can the President authorize new spending by EC?

Trump says his exec order will provide an extra $400 in jobless benefits. States will have to provide $100 of that. This is down from $600 approved in March. “We’re doing this all without the Democrats.”

--

How is Trump going to order states to pay $100 per week?

• Thinking
Trump says his exec order will provide an extra $400 in jobless benefits. States will have to provide $100 of that. This is down from $600 approved in March. “We’re doing this all without the Democrats.”

--

How is Trump going to order states to pay $100 per week?
Same way he's going to change tax policy, rewrite the budget and avoid Impeachment -- Republicans in Congress are going to pretend it's legal and look the other way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread