What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Grade your team's draft from 2020 (1 Viewer)

Hooper31

Footballguy
The return of my annual thread.

Did this for years and then got away from it. I still love the draft and plan to keep doing this year after year.

Link to the grades from the 2016 draft. Seattle grade = C.
Link to the grades from the 2015 draft. Seattle grade = B
Link to the grades from the 2014 draft. Seattle grade = C
Link to the grades from the 2013 draft. Seattle grade = C-
Link to the grades from the 2012 draft. Seattle grade = A
Link to the grades from the 2011 draft. Seattle grade = A
Link to the grades from the 2010 draft. Seattle grade = A
Link to the grades from the 2009 draft. Seattle grade = F

Journalists keep saying they're forced to give grades. They know it's a stupid activity. They routinely admit it and proceed to throw down the grades anyway. Let's choose to be better. After investing the time for only a few years it changes one's perspective. Realizing what actually constitutes a respectable draft. It doesn't take much. Most years you're looking at getting a starter or two if you're lucky. The vast majority of players drafted don't make it onto the field. If you go back and look through the Seahawks 2010, 2011, and 2012 drafts you'll see why they played in back to back Super Bowls. They crushed those years and got somewhat lucky. Pro-bowl starters outside the first two rounds? They had a bunch in Sherman, Wright, Chancellor, Baldwin, and Wilson on a rookie contract. Geesh.

If you wish to participate please include the following:

1. List of drafted players. LINK to DraftHistory.com
2. Players still with team
3. Starters
4. Potential future starters
5. Pro-bowls
6. Positives
7. Negatives
8. Grade

Year

Year Pick# Round Pick Overall Player Position College
2020​
1​
1​
27​
27​
Jordyn Brooks​
LB​
Texas Tech​
2​
2​
16​
48​
Darrell Taylor​
DE​
Tennessee​
3​
3​
5​
69​
Damien Lewis​
G​
Louisiana State​
4​
4​
27​
133​
Colby Parkinson​
TE​
Stanford​
5​
4​
38​
144​
DeeJay Dallas​
RB​
Miami (FL)​
6​
5​
2​
148​
Alton Robinson​
DE​
Syracuse​
7​
6​
35​
214​
Freddie Swain​
WR​
Florida​
8​
7​
37​
251​
Stephen Sullivan​
TE​
Louisiana State​

2. Players still with team: 5 (Brooks, Taylor, Parkinson, Dallas, Swain)
3. Starters: 3
4. Potential future starters: 0
5. Pro-bowls: 1
6. Positives: Brooks has twice led the team in tackles and was amongst the leading tacklers in the NFL the past two seasons. Bummer he blew out his knee at the end of last season. He's more than been worth the pick Pundits raked the Seahawks over the coals and labeled it as one of the worst picks in the first round. Taylor was drafted as a future after being injured in college and he's blossoming as a solid rush end. That said, the team brought back Bruce Irvin AGAIN and gave him some playing time while they sat Taylor. Taylor's play improved late in the season and fans are excited to see what he'll do next season. He's got the speed and bend off the edge. Seattle was much improved as a team rushing the passer finishing 8th in sacks and Taylor was a big part of that. They believe in him to point where they passed twice yesterday in the first round on adding more pass rush. Lewis spent two seasons starting at center, but the team is moving on from him. I expect them to draft a replacement in the second round today. Parkinson and Dallas have both been solid contributors and earning quite a bit of playing time making this a good draft. Robinson and Swained flashed some potential, but they are officially gone now.
7. Negatives: Not too many. Brooks injury could never be predicted. Lewis wasn't a great run blocker, but damn, that's just stretching to find something to whine about.
8. Grade: B

Cleveland Browns
2020​
1​
1​
10​
10​
Jedrick Wills​
T​
Alabama​
2​
2​
12​
44​
Grant Delpit​
DB​
Louisiana State​
3​
3​
24​
88​
Jordan Elliott​
DT​
Missouri​
4​
3​
33​
97​
Jacob Phillips​
LB​
Louisiana State​
5​
4​
9​
115​
Harrison Bryant​
TE​
Florida Atlantic​
6​
5​
14​
160​
Nick Harris​
C​
Washington​
7​
6​
8​
187​
Donovan Peoples-Jones​
WR​
Michigan​

2. Players still with team: All 7
3. Starters: 5* Harris was slated to be a starter but lost 2022 due to injury on the first drive of preseason.
5. Pro-bowls: 0
6. Positives: Pretty impressive to get 5 starters out of your 7 picks. Grant Delpit led the team in tackles (105) and interceptions (4) in 2022. Peoples-Jones was 2nd on the team in receiving with 61 catches for 839 yds in 2022
7. Negatives: Although there are 5 starters in that group, none of them are superstars. Delpit may be the best of the bunch, but I don't think it is ideal for one of your DBs to leading the team in tackles...speaks volumes about the defensive front. Not sure Elliott should even be a starter, but the Browns defensive interior is so weak. DPJ has emerged as a relatively reliable target, but again, WR group as a whole was not stellar. I do not see him as a number 2, but hopefully he remains a solid contributer. We'll see how things unfold with Elijah Moore in 2023. I was really hoping for bigger things from Wills (maybe my expectations were too high), but he has been a little underwhelming.
8. Grade: A-

Jets. Horrendous on SO many levels.

1) 1 1 11 11 Mekhi Becton T Louisville
2 2 27 59 Denzel Mims WR Baylor
3 3 4 68 Ashtyn Davis DB California
4 3 15 79 Jabari Zuniga DE Florida
5 4 14 120 Lamical Perine RB Florida
6 4 19 125 James Morgan QB Florida International
7 4 23 129 Cameron Clark G Charlotte
8 5 12 158 Bryce Hall DB Virginia
9 6 12 191 Braden Mann P Texas A&M

2) players still with the team....Becton, Mims, Davis, Hall

3) Starters....technically one I guess if you count Becton (who has missed the past 2 years with injuries/being too overweight to come back from injuries)

4) Potential future starters- Only Becton if he ever manages to stay healthy

5) No pro-bowls

6) Positives....almost none. Becton still has a world of ability and appears (just based on his social media posts) to be in great shape leading into this Summer. So if he ever manages to get through a season, he could still be a good starting tackle. Hopefully the birth of his child has motivated him to stop eating his way out of the league.

7) Negatives.....Just about everything.....

They passed on several elite talents at positions of need to take him and Becton has missed the past 2 years (and looked HORRIBLE in training camp in the summer of '21 before his first injury). Could have had Justin Jefferson Ceedee Lamb or Tristan Wirfs. Instead they've gotten basically nothing.

Mims was hurt right off the bat, got himself in the doghouse and has basically been a non-contributor (other than 1 or 2 little flashes). Requested a trade a year ago but apparently nobody wants him.

Davis was a fast guy who had absolutely no idea how to play football and should have been cut last year. Instead they kept him, cutting Jason Pinnock (who immediately went across town to the Giants and became a solid contributor).

Bryce Hall flashed ability at times his first year (looking like a solid CB2 type) and started all 17 games in 2021. But with the drafting of Sauce Gardner and signing of DJ Reed, he became a total outcast and was inactive most of last season. A guy they probably could have flipped for a pick last summer but now he's just dead weight.

Zuniga and Perrine never did anything of note and are now gone. Clark retired due to injury. Mann appeared to be a solid punter at first but eventually lost it (and has since been cut). And oh yeah.....that doofus made the tackle against the Rams in 2020 that saved a TD and cost them a shot at drafting Trevor Lawrence.

This draft was an absolute disaster and was a huge part of why the Jets sucked so bad in 2020 and 2021. And then the following year they compounded the error with the all-time whiff on Zach Wilson. Looked they hit on Elijah Moore but that relationship was eventually ruined (forcing them to sell him at a loss). Were it not for AVT and to a lesser extent, the 2 Michael Carters, it would have been 2 straight F's.

As it stands, they get an F for 2020. Becton becoming a star tackle would raise that grade to passing, but barely.

Thank goodness for last year, otherwise Douglas would be out of a job (and rightfully so)

2020​
1​
1​
28​
28​
Patrick Queen​
LB​
Louisiana State​
2​
2​
23​
55​
J.K. Dobbins​
RB​
Ohio State​
3​
3​
7​
71​
Justin Madubuike​
DT​
Texas A&M​
4​
3​
28​
92​
Devin Duvernay​
WR​
Texas​
5​
3​
34​
98​
Malik Harrison​
LB​
Ohio State​
6​
3​
42​
106​
Tyre Phillips​
G​
Mississippi State​
7​
4​
37​
143​
Ben Bredeson​
G​
Michigan​
8​
5​
24​
170​
Broderick Washington​
DT​
Texas Tech​
9​
6​
22​
201​
James Proche​
WR​
Southern Methodist​
10​
7​
5​
219​
Geno Stone​
DB​
Iowa​
Baltimore

Still with team: 8 (all but Phillips & Bredeson)

Starters: This is hard because of how the Ravens use rotations at certain positions. Let's call it 4 - Queen, Dobbins, Madubiuke, and Washington.

Future Starters: Another hard one because some of these guys are going to be gone. I think Madubuike & Washington are the most likely to get 2nd contracts.

Pro Bowls: I think 1, for Duvernay as a returner (though Queen may have made one after opt-outs).

Positives: There's a lot to like here. 9 of the 10 have played significant roles. Madubiuke is really close to being a star. I think Queen has started every game since he was drafted. Washington was a steal. Dobbins has been discussed to death on this message board and is a stud when he plays. Duvernay's the best return guy in the league and a good offensive weapon. Harrison, Phillips (when he was here), and Stone have all played a bunch of important snaps.

Negatives: The Ravens are historically good at developing players, but Queen - though he flashes a lot - never quite turned into what they wanted. Once Baltimore got Roquan Smith, it let them turn Queen loose and he was a monster over the second half of last season. They have until May 2 to pick up his 5th year option and I'm not sure they will do that. Dobbins is snakebit by injuries. Harrison is the biggest disappointment for me - a thumper out of Ohio State, I thought he and Queen would make a terrific tandem, but the light bulb never seemed to go off for him. I thought they stole Proche on draft day, but he can't seem to get into the mix no matter how many chances he gets.

Grade: B

Last edited:
Bucs

1. Tristan Wirfs
2 Antoine Winfield Jr.
3 Ke'Shawn Vaughn
5 Tyler Johnson
6 Khalil Davis
7 Chapelle Russell
7 Raymond Calais

A+

Wirfs and Winfield were both hugely impactful starters on a team that won the Super Bowl and have both made pro bowls. Wirfs is headed to the hall of fame if he stays healthy. What more could you ask for?

Vaughn is just kind of there and Johnson made a huge catch in the NFC title game victory over Green Bay. No idea who the last 2 are, they didn’t hang around long.

🤮 🤢🤮
No more needs to be said here but Wilson is possibly the only first round pick to have a career value of zero.
And they could have had Tee Higgins.

2020​
1​
1​
29​
29​
Isaiah Wilson​
T​
Georgia​
2​
2​
29​
61​
Kristian Fulton​
DB​
Louisiana State​
3​
3​
29​
93​
Darrynton Evans​
RB​
Appalachian State​
4​
5​
28​
174​
Larrell Murchison​
DT​
North Carolina State​
5​
7​
10​
224​
Cole McDonald​
QB​
Hawaii​
6​
7​
29​
243​
Chris Jackson​
DB​
Marshall​

2020112121Jalen ReagorWRTCU
222153Jalen HurtsQBOklahoma
3339103Davion TaylorLBColorado
4421127K'Von WallaceSClemson
4439145Jack DriscollOLAuburn
5522168John HightowerWRBoise St.
6617196Shaun BradleyLBTemple
6621200Quez WatkinsWRSouthern Miss
6631210Prince Tega WanoghoTAuburn
7719233Casey ToohillDEStanford

2. Players still with team: 5 (Hurts, Wallace, Driscoll, Bradley, Watkins)
3. Starters: 2
5. Pro-bowls: 1
6. Positives: Getting a Pro-Bowl, MVP-caliber player with a second round pick is a hit. Getting a QB with that pick is a homerun. Jalen Hurts makes this draft for the Eagles. Wallace, Driscoll and Bradley are currently depth players for Philly but haven't shown any indication that they will become regular starters. Quez Watkins is the current slot receiver.
7. Negatives: Selected Jalen Reagor with Justin Jefferson still on the board. That single move created a domino effect for Philly that required them to pass on Micah Parsons the next year to take DeVonta Smith with the #10 pick so they could give Hurts weapons to throw to. Jalen Reagor was a total bust and the Eagles traded him after 2 seasons to Minnesota. Davion Taylor was never healthy enough to stay on the field for Philly. Hightower had a cup of coffee with the team but never made an impact. Wanogho and Toohill are no longer in Philly and did absolutely nothing for them.
8. Grade: B

Cincinnati Bengals

2020​
1​
1​
1​
1​
Joe Burrow​
QB​
Louisiana State​
2​
2​
1​
33​
Tee Higgins​
WR​
Clemson​
3​
3​
1​
65​
Logan Wilson​
LB​
Wyoming​
4​
4​
1​
107​
Akeem Davis-Gaither​
LB​
Appalachian State​
5​
5​
1​
147​
Khalid Kareem​
DE​
Notre Dame​
6​
6​
1​
180​
Hakeem Adeniji​
T​
Kansas​
7​
7​
1​
215​
Markus Bailey​
LB​
Purdue​

2. Players still with team: 6
3. Starters: 3 or 4 (Burrow, Tee, Wilson -- Adeniji has started)
4. Potential future starters: Maybe 1 (Davis-Gaither)
5. Pro-bowls: 1 (lol what)
6. Positives: Joe and Tee, nothing needs to be said there. Logan Wilson was widely regarded as a steal when we got him in the 3rd and that couldn't have been any more true. ADG has been a fantastic rotational LB.
7. Negatives: Adeniji has been mostly a liability when forced into starting.
8. Grade: A++++

The best draft the Bengals have ever had and one that changed the entire franchise from a perennial laughing stock (with a good year here and there thrown in) to a perennial Super Bowl contender. Who knew that the best thing Andy Dalton would ever do as a Bengal would be getting hurt in 2019, paving the way for us to draft Joey B.

Last edited:
🤮 🤢🤮
No more needs to be said here but Wilson is possibly the only first round pick to have a career value of zero.

2020​
1​
1​
29​
29​
Isaiah Wilson​
T​
Georgia​
2​
2​
29​
61​
Kristian Fulton​
DB​
Louisiana State​
3​
3​
29​
93​
Darrynton Evans​
RB​
Appalachian State​
4​
5​
28​
174​
Larrell Murchison​
DT​
North Carolina State​
5​
7​
10​
224​
Cole McDonald​
QB​
Hawaii​
6​
7​
29​
243​
Chris Jackson​
DB​
Marshall​
This is so bad, I had to google which team you’re talking about.

🤮 🤢🤮

2020​
1​
1​
29​
29​
Isaiah Wilson​
T​
Georgia​
2​
2​
29​
61​
Kristian Fulton​
DB​
Louisiana State​
3​
3​
29​
93​
Darrynton Evans​
RB​
Appalachian State​
4​
5​
28​
174​
Larrell Murchison​
DT​
North Carolina State​
5​
7​
10​
224​
Cole McDonald​
QB​
Hawaii​
6​
7​
29​
243​
Chris Jackson​
DB​
Marshall​
This is so bad, I had to google which team you’re talking about.
Easily among the worst drafts ever

Chargers:

2020​
1​
1​
6​
6​
Justin Herbert​
QB​
Oregon​
2​
1​
23​
23​
Kenneth Murray​
LB​
Oklahoma​
3​
4​
6​
112​
Joshua Kelley​
RB​
UCLA​
4​
5​
5​
151​
Joe Reed​
WR​
Virginia​
5​
6​
7​
186​
Alohi Gilman​
DB​
Notre Dame​
6​
7​
6​
220​
K.J. Hill​
WR​
Ohio State​

Players still with team: 4 -- Herbert, Murray, Kelley, Gilman

Starters: 2 -- Herbert, Murray

Potential future starters: 1 -- it is possible but IMO unlikely that Gilman will be a starter in 2023

Pro-bowls: 1 -- Herbert (2021)

Positives:
  • Herbert obviously makes this draft. Apparently the Chargers were content to take whichever QB Miami did not draft ahead of them between Tua and Herbert... so this was a bit of a lucky outcome that likely saved GM Telesco's job.
  • Gilman has been a solid depth player for a 6th round pick.
Negatives:
  • This was the 3rd time the Chargers traded up to draft a LB during GM Telesco's tenure. None of those decisions worked out well, including this one. General rule of thumb: don't trade up to draft non-premium players who play positions with low positional value.
  • The team just declined to pick up Murray's 5th year option last week, and I expect he will probably be off the team next season. So far, he has been a bust. I hope he turns it around in 2023, but I'm not optimistic.
  • Given that the team traded its 2nd and 3rd round picks to move up for Murray, I thought it was a terrible decision to draft a RB with their early 4th round pick. Kelley finally flashed a bit in 2022, but he has yet to make a meaningful impact, and I doubt he will be with the team after 2023.
  • Neither Reed nor Hill made any positive impact, and neither remain with the Chargers today.
Grade: A
  • Excluding Herbert, this draft gets an F for me, but Herbert elevates that by 4 levels.

Bumparoo for the draft nerds that can't get enough. Yeah, that's me too. Love seeing commentary from local fans about their teams.

Buffalo Bills

1 -- (Traded away for Stephon Diggs)
2 -- AJ Epenesa
3 -- Zack Moss
4 -- Gabe Davis
5 -- Jake Fromm
6 -- Tyler Bass
6 -- Isaiah Hodgins
7 -- Dane Jackson

If you include Diggs, which I think you have to do, I'd give this class an A-. Diggs is elite, and he was exactly what this team needed at the time. The jury is still out a bit on Davis, but at worst he's a legit starter of the type that you're always kind of hoping to replace at some point. Epenesa is a decent rotational guy, Bass is solid, it looks like we made an error in letting Hodgins go, and Jackson is quality depth. Really, Moss and Fromm were the only two whiffs here.

If you ignore the Diggs trade, this class looks much worse, with the 2nd and 3rd round picks in particular being ones that the fan base would unanimously like to do over again.

Detroit Lions - last draft of the Quinntricia era!

1. Jeff Okudah, DB - serious injury issues, just dumped for a 5th round pick
2. DeAndre Swift, RB - very talented but poor vision and always injured, just dumped for a future 4th round pick
3. Julian Okwara, DE - been injured most of the time, but decent when on field
3. Jonah Jackson, OG - Pro Bowl guard, anchor of the offensive line
4. Logan Stenburg, OG - frequently injured swing tackle
5. Quintez Cephus, WR - showed flashes of talent, but frequently injured and cut after gambling on football
5. Jason Huntley, RB - never did much
6. John Penisini, DT - consistent contributor, still in the NFL
7. Jashon Cornell, DT - never did anything

2. Players still with team
Julian Okwara - rotational player
Jonah Jackson - starting guard
Logan Stenburg - depth piece

4. Potential future starters
Okwara still could develop his way into a starter. Stenburg is a lot closer to being cut than ever seeing the starting lineup.

5. Pro-bowls
1 - Jonah Jackson

6. Positives
Injuries pretty consistently derailed the careers of most of this draft. Jonah Jackson was a great pick in the 3rd, and Penisini contributed significantly for when he was drafted. When healthy, Swift has the speed to pop off a huge run at any time. 4th rounder Stenburg has been fine for a 4th rounder, but nothing exciting. 5th rounder Cephus showed the ability to play in the NFL when healthy.

7. Negatives
Swift fell out of favor with the new coaching staff due to his injuries and poor vision and was dumped. Okudah never lived up to his billing, though the torn Achilles probably contributed to that.

8. Grade
C- . Jonah was a great pick, and Okwara and Swift could still turn into really good players. Got some value out of late picks Stenburg, Cephus, and Penisini. But you have to call the first two rounds misses, so it's a disappointing draft overall.

Round 1, pick 5: Tua Tagovailoa, QB, Alabama - well cronicled

Round 1, pick 18: Austin Jackson, OT, USC - Possible right tackle, but still battling for the job. Injuries.

Round 1, pick 30: Noah Igbinoghene, CB, Auburn - Uneven at best.

Round 2, pick 39: Robert Hunt, G, Louisiana-Lafayette - Starter

Round 2, pick 56: Raekwon Davis, DT, Alabama - Still on the team, but injured

Round 3, pick 70: Brandon Jones, S, Texas - Starter before going on IR.

Round 4, pick 111 (from Texans): Solomon Kindley, G, Georgia - WAIVED, On NYG squad

Round 5, pick 154 (from Jaguars through Steelers): Jason Strowbridge, DE, North Carolina - out of football

Round 5, pick 164 (from Eagles through Cowboys): Curtis Weaver, DE, Boise State - Vikings futures contact. Waived by Miami

Round 6, pick 185: Blake Ferguson, C, LSU - Long snapper, still on team.

Round 7, pick 246 (from Chiefs): Malcolm Perry, WR, Navy - Bounced around, now on active duty in the navy

Grade: well, incomplete (although some other Miami fans may disagree with me) MIami had all the picks in the world and managed to get 6 players who are still active on the team (4 1/2 who are starters). Still, if you grade this draft in terms of Tua vs. Herbert (as most seem to) then at this moment it is likely a C minus. If you throw out that debate, or if Tua's non-concussed games are the indicator, then I'd go with a B. Robert Hunt is a stud. Davis is a solid (but also injured player) and Jones is a solid cover and blitzing corner. Most of this draft class is/has been hampered by injuries. Only Igbinoghene has been healthy and while he has shown flashes here and there, he will likley not be on the team after this year (or maybe even by the end of training camp). I think this draft was the real "learning curve" for Grier bc the drafts that followed this one have been better.

Chicago Bears
2020​
1​
2​
11​
43​
Cole Kmet​
TE​
Notre Dame​
2​
2​
18​
50​
Jaylon Johnson​
DB​
Utah​
3​
5​
9​
155​
Trevis Gipson​
LB​
Tulsa​
4​
5​
17​
163​
Kindle Vildor​
DB​
Georgia Southern​
5​
5​
27​
173​
Darnell Mooney​
WR​
Tulane​
6​
7​
12​
226​
Arlington Hambright​
T​
Colorado​
7​
7​
13​
227​
Lachavious Simmons​
G​
Tennessee State​
picks traded away: 19 (in Khalil Mack trade), 81 (in Khalil Mack trade), 125 (in 2019 draft trade-up for David Montgomery), 140 (for Nick Foles), 196 & 200 (gave for 173)
picks acquired by trade: 43 (from Khalil Mack trade), 155 (gave 2021 4th pick 125 ), 173 (gave 196 & 200), 226 (from Khalil Mack trade)

2. Players still with team: 5 (Kmet, Johnson, Gipson, Vildor, Mooney)
3. Starters: 5. 3 capable starters (Kmet, Johnson, Mooney) and 2 rotational/depth guys who have been starting because the roster has been so bad (Gipson, Vildor)
4. Potential future starters: same 3-5
6. Positives: Very solid draft given their draft capital. They hit on 5 usable players in their first 5 picks (all 5 above average for their draft pick), including 3 guys who have been decent players, despite not having a first rounder (due to the 2018 Khalil Mack trade) and only having 2 picks in the first 4 rounds. Mooney stands out as a nice late-round find.
7. Negatives: No high-end talent. Even the best guys are basically just an average starter at their position.
8. Grade: B+
Just grading them on "how well did they use these 7 picks?", this draft comes out looking pretty good. Middle-of-the-pack results with bottom-of-the-barrel draft capital. But didn't get anyone good enough to justify a grade in the A range. Would grade out a bit worse if I was also grading them on their trades, probably just knocking that plus off if it's only counting the trades they made in 2020.

2020​
1​
1​
26​
26​
Jordan Love​
QB​
Utah State​
2​
2​
30​
62​
AJ Dillon​
RB​
Boston College​
3​
3​
30​
94​
Josiah Deguara​
TE​
Cincinnati​
4​
5​
29​
175​
Kamal Martin​
LB​
Minnesota​
5​
6​
13​
192​
Jon Runyan​
G​
Michigan​
6​
6​
29​
208​
Jake Hanson​
C​
Oregon​
7​
6​
30​
209​
Simon Stepaniak​
T​
Indiana​
8​
7​
22​
236​
Vernon Scott​
DB​
Texas Christian​
9​
7​
28​
242​
Jonathan Garvin​
DE​
Miami (FL)​

It sucks to give an incomplete grade to a draft after three years, but the success of this draft and the careers of much of the Packers front office depends on Jordan Love's play in this upcoming season. He doesn't have to be an MVP to make this a successful draft. If Love becomes an average starter for 5 years or so, the pick was well worth it based on the cost many teams now pay to get a shot at a starting quarterback. As former Packers front office guru Andrew Brandt likes to say, the best time to find a quarterback is before you need one.

2. Players still with team: 6 (Love, Dillon, Deguara, Runyan, Hanson, Garvin)
3. Starters: 1 (Love, Dillon, Deguara, Runyan and Hanson have all started games, but Runyan is the only locked in starter as of last season; all but Hanson are important rotation guys when healthy.)
4. Potential future starters: 1 (Love)
6. Positives: Putting Jordan Love aside, while acknowledging he is the key to this draft. AJ Dillon will continue to be part of a 1-2 punch with Aaron Jones. GB fans and coaches all love him, if perhaps a bit of a reach at 62 overall. Runyan is a solid starter, great value at #192. Deguara has not shown much, but could have a big future in the new offense, depending on the coaches' plans for him in an "H-back" role. With Love, there are 4 important contributors in this group and one solid depth guy.
7. Negatives: Hanson showed well early, then has had injury issues - might be the end of the line for him but I'd expect he'll hang on as a reliable back up interior lineman. Martin and Scott played a year or so but were never up to the task and are both gone. I had to look Garvin up and was surprised to see he is still on the team - must be almost exclusively special teams. I don't think Stepaniak ever played for the Packers.
8. Grade: Incomplete

2020 NEW ENGLAND:
1.23 - Traded down for the 37th (Dugger) and 71st picks (used to move up for Uche).
2.05 - S Kyle Dugger - Started in 35 games and played in 44 total games. Solid contributor.
2.28 - LB Joshe Uche - Took a while, but really came on at the end of last season (11.5 sacks in his last 9 games).
3.23 - LB / DE Anfernee Jennings - Been a rotational piece for 30 games, but really not a big contributor.
3.27 - TE Devin Asiasi - NE traded picks 100, 139, and 172 to move up for Asiasi. Bust. Caught 2 passes total for NE.
3.37 - TE Dalton Keene - NE traded picks 125 and 129 (and a 6th rounder the following year) to move up. Bust. Caught 3 passes for NE.
5.13 - PK Justin Rohrasser - Uber bust. Never played in an NFL game.
6.13 - G Michael Onwenu - Started 41 games and played in 49. Always been highly rated by PFF.
6.16 - OT Justin Herron - Started 10 games before getting traded to LV for a low level pick.
6.25 - LB Cash Maluia - Played sparingly as a rookie and never appeared in the NFL again, waived by both NE and BUF.
7-16 - C Justin Woodard - Never appeared in an NFL game.

I don't usually worry about Day 3 picks all that much . . . they are mostly dart throws, and they got a solid OL guy in Onwenu there. Dugger and Uche have turned into decent starters. The tight end picks were embarrassing . . . moving up to take two guys that had a total of 5 receptions combined. And then drafting a PK that never even suited up for them. Ugh.

Overall, not sure how many drafts yield three decent starters. I am guessing that isn't too bad. So I'd give this draft class a C+ (especially compared to other recent NE drafts that produced close to nothing).

Last edited:
I always enjoy these threads.

2020 Denver Broncos:
roundplayerCollegeposyears as starterweighted career AV
1​
Jerry JeudyAlabamaWR
2​
16​
2​
KJ HamlerPenn St.WR
0​
5​
3​
Michael OjemudiaIowaCB
0​
4​
3​
Lloyd Cushenberry IIILSUC
2​
15​
3​
McTelvin AgimArkansasDT
0​
2​
4​
Albert OkwuegbunamMissouriTE
0​
5​
5​
Justin StrnadWake ForestLB
0​
4​
6​
Netane MutiFresno St.G
0​
3​
7​
Tyrie ClevelandFloridaWR
0​
0​
7​
Derrek TuszkaNorth Dakota St.LB
0​
3​

1. Players still with the team: Broncos just exercised Jeudy's 5th year option, so that's good. Hamler and Strnad are still there but always seem hurt. Cushenberry has been a below-average starting center for the past few years. Albert O is still around but always in the dog house. so 5 remain. Better than I had expected.
  2. Starters: Jeudy and Cushenberry, but Cush starts by default, IMO. Still, he is a starter until he isn't, so 2.
  3. potential future starters: I don't know where to put Hamler here. With the drafting of Mims, I think he may be the odd man out so that's a 0 future starters.
  4. Pro bowls: zero.
  5. positives: It's hard to say. The team overall has been so bad since then because of coaching and QB play it's really hard to get a sense of how good Jeudy, Hamler, and Albert O actually are. There are enough glimpses that make me think that these three have some great potential but we aren't there.
  6. Negatives: inconsistency across the board. 3 WR's drafted. This is also the COVID year, first year of a new head coach, a rookie QB - i think all of these guys's growth was stunted so I'm not going to pin that on the poor draft class.
  7. Overall grade: let's call it a C. If Jeudy plays well enough to justify his 5th year tag, it's hard to call it lower than that.

2020​
1​
1​
26​
26​
Jordan Love​
QB​
Utah State​
2​
2​
30​
62​
AJ Dillon​
RB​
Boston College​
3​
3​
30​
94​
Josiah Deguara​
TE​
Cincinnati​
4​
5​
29​
175​
Kamal Martin​
LB​
Minnesota​
5​
6​
13​
192​
Jon Runyan​
G​
Michigan​
6​
6​
29​
208​
Jake Hanson​
C​
Oregon​
7​
6​
30​
209​
Simon Stepaniak​
T​
Indiana​
8​
7​
22​
236​
Vernon Scott​
DB​
Texas Christian​
9​
7​
28​
242​
Jonathan Garvin​
DE​
Miami (FL)​

It sucks to give an incomplete grade to a draft after three years, but the success of this draft and the careers of much of the Packers front office depends on Jordan Love's play in this upcoming season. He doesn't have to be an MVP to make this a successful draft. If Love becomes an average starter for 5 years or so, the pick was well worth it based on the cost many teams now pay to get a shot at a starting quarterback. As former Packers front office guru Andrew Brandt likes to say, the best time to find a quarterback is before you need one.

2. Players still with team: 6 (Love, Dillon, Deguara, Runyan, Hanson, Garvin)
3. Starters: 1 (Love, Dillon, Deguara, Runyan and Hanson have all started games, but Runyan is the only locked in starter as of last season; all but Hanson are important rotation guys when healthy.)
4. Potential future starters: 1 (Love)
6. Positives: Putting Jordan Love aside, while acknowledging he is the key to this draft. AJ Dillon will continue to be part of a 1-2 punch with Aaron Jones. GB fans and coaches all love him, if perhaps a bit of a reach at 62 overall. Runyan is a solid starter, great value at #192. Deguara has not shown much, but could have a big future in the new offense, depending on the coaches' plans for him in an "H-back" role. With Love, there are 4 important contributors in this group and one solid depth guy.
7. Negatives: Hanson showed well early, then has had injury issues - might be the end of the line for him but I'd expect he'll hang on as a reliable back up interior lineman. Martin and Scott played a year or so but were never up to the task and are both gone. I had to look Garvin up and was surprised to see he is still on the team - must be almost exclusively special teams. I don't think Stepaniak ever played for the Packers.
8. Grade: Incomplete

Grade it similarly...but hard also not to look at it for what it did to the team. While Rodgers had several great years after this...it signaled the end and led to now a trade. Obviously that still makes it an incomplete as what did we get for him...and what does Love do. This one still needs a few more years to marinate.
Deguara in the negatives as well IMO...he has done nothing and they missed on some quality picks there. I understood the rationale (trying to find their own Juszcyk)...but a big whiff leading to 2 TEs now drafted this year.

NFL teams grade their own 2020 drafts:
Ari Meirov
@MySportsUpdate

14 players officially had their 5th-year options declined:
No. 2: Chase Young
No. 8: Isaiah Simmons
No. 9: C.J. Henderson
No. 11: Mekhi Becton
No. 14: Javon Kinlaw
No. 18: Austin Jackson
No. 20: K'Lavon Chaisson
No. 21: Jalen Reagor
No. 23: Kenneth Murray
No. 24: Cesar Ruiz
No. 27: Jordyn Brooks
No. 28: Patrick Queen
No. 30: Noah Igbinoghene
No. 32: Clyde Edwards-Helaire

Also,
No. 3 Okudah traded from Lions to Falcons for 5th round pick
No 12 Ruggs out of football / in prison
NO 19 Arnette out of football / in prison
No 29 Wilson out of football
No 31 Jeff Gladney died in a car crash

Is it fair to say 2020 was a terrible first round?

2020 Pittsburgh Steelers - this is a tough one to grade
2020​
1​
2​
17​
49​
Chase Claypool​
WR​
Notre Dame​
2​
3​
38​
102​
Alex Highsmith​
DE​
Charlotte​
3​
4​
18​
124​
Anthony McFarland​
RB​
Maryland​
4​
4​
29​
135​
Kevin Dotson​
G​
Louisiana-Lafayette​
5​
6​
19​
198​
Antoine Brooks​
DB​
Maryland​
6​
7​
18​
232​
Carlos Davis​
DT​
Nebraska​

2. Players still with team - Highsmith, McFarland, and Dotson
3. Starters - Highsmith
4. Potential future starters - none
5. Pro-bowls - none
6. Positives - The trades. The 1st round pick was traded to Dolphins for Minkah Fitzpatrick. Claypool was traded for the pick that became Joey Porter Jr.
7. Negatives - None of the players drafted are likely to sign a 2nd contract in Pittsburgh.
8. Grade - I am really not sure how this draft should be graded. If you add Minkah to the class, you would view it very differently. I would rank Highsmith and Dotson as excellent draft picks. Highsmith is clearly a high end pick, but is probably going to sign for more elsewhere next year. The value of his play over the rookie contact is still huge for a 3rd round pick. Everyone hates Dotson for some reason. He isn't a great run blocker, but is an extremely good pass blocker. He will sign a good 2nd contract somewhere. He has put in enough play as a starter to be a good value for the 4th round even if he never sees the field again though. Claypool has generated the most wAV according to profootball reference. His rookie year he looked like he might have been the steal of the draft. He has regressed every year afterwards. He has also been is terrible offenses since his rookie year and could turn around his career, but again for somebody else. The value for his trade was crazy though. The rest of the picks are below average for sure. Given the trade return, I give this draft a B.

Users who are viewing this thread