What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Greatest Drummers from our time (1 Viewer)

I know Portnoy is considered a god, but I kind of like Mike Mangini's drumming.
I like Mike's playing a lot. What I have not been fond of in is two recordings thus far are the sonic quality of his drums. So far IMO two big misses in the sonic production of his playing. On his debut with DT...he was a tad to pulled back in the mix...but on the self titles most recent DT record his snare sounds awful....just terrible IMO.

Shame as I thought DT's last record was their best in a long time. And I love the record but have some cringe when I hear that terrible snare sound.

Not a bif Rush listener...can somebody post a song where Peart really swings...my impression is that Rush's music doesn't lend itself too much to that kind of thing, but, again, I'm not a big listener.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCFcWdco1nw

One of my fav's and they swing up and down and all around. Very police esque I might add. Fantastic groove with Geddy's bass and Alex's guitar solo (the entire solo section for that matter) is off the hook.

Digital Man
This is pretty much the most glaring example of Neil's inability or refusal to swing pre-Gruber.
Rush's music.....is not jazz man.

It's Rush.

Peart's playing...is unique to his signature style. What maddens frustrated drummers is he does not subscribe to traditional schools of music within his writing style.

He created his own way. Which as a musician is the ultimate goal. Create your own sound, your own style. He has a signature ride pattern in ton's of his stuff.

But frustrated musicians who love to just critic and try to dismiss musicians who actually had huge influence on others don't get that. Funny thing is he is highly influenced by Buddy Rich and of course Keith Moon, and John Bonham and he loves Stuart Copland's work with The Police. He also had Freddy Gruber work with him in 95 and he changed up and started being more straight forward in Rush's music going forward from that point.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've always felt that Ginger Baker was very underrated and really solid. Not GOAT but fantastic in his own right. Its amazing that so many bands with recognized virtuoso guitar talents (Cream, Van Halen, Queen, etc) often have underrated rhythm sections, in this case specifically drummers.

One of my fav's and they swing up and down and all around. Very police esque I might add. Fantastic groove with Geddy's bass and Alex's guitar solo (the entire solo section for that matter) is off the hook.

Digital Man
This is pretty much the most glaring example of Neil's inability or refusal to swing pre-Gruber.

It's Rush.

Peart's playing...is unique to his signature style. What maddens frustrated drummers is he does not subscribe to traditional schools of music within his writing style.

He created his own way. Which as a musician is the ultimate goal. Create your own sound, your own style. He has a signature ride pattern in ton's of his stuff.

But frustrated musicians who love to just critic and try to dismiss musicians who actually had huge influence on others don't get that. Funny thing is he is highly influenced by Buddy Rich and of course Keith Moon, and John Bonham and he loves Stuart Copland's work with The Police. He also had Freddy Kruber work with him in 95 and he changed up and started being more straight forward in Rush's music going forward from that point.
Freddie Gruber, not Kruber. He hired him because he was incapable of letting the music breathe.

Digital Man

It's Rush.

But frustrated musicians who love to just critic and try to dismiss musicians who actually had huge influence on others don't get that. Funny thing is he is highly influenced by Buddy Rich and of course Keith Moon, and John Bonham and he loves Stuart Copland's work with The Police. He also had Freddy Kruber work with him in 95 and he changed up and started being more straight forward in Rush's music going forward from that point.
Freddie Gruber, not Kruber. He hired him because he was incapable of letting the music breathe.
Yes exactly right. He was always very busy. So here was a guy, one of the most celebrated progressive rock drummers in the history of rock music learning how to play again.

You can never stop getting better at your craft and the best understand that.

(and yeah I know how to spell Gruber just hit the K....typos happen often with me...what can I say).

Users who are viewing this thread