What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Greatest Drummers from our time (1 Viewer)

Jimmy Chamberlin
JC is IMO the best drummer of my "era". Late 80's. 90's grunge and alternative. He was classically trained and originally a jazz drummer.Peter Erskine is the most underrated drummer ever, IMO. He played with the Weather Report and moved on the become a teacher and music scholar.

To round out my top 5, I'm going with the 3 Steves. Steve Smith of Journey. Steve Gadd of many bands; a true studio drummer, and Steve Jordan, most notably of the John Mayer trio.

John McLaughin Trio featuring Indian percussionist Triloc Gurtu. Very unique set up as he's playing something similar to a western style drum kit but sits on the floor in a tabla style of playing. I saw this trio in '89 opening for Al DiMeola, Larry Coryell and Birelli LaGrene at the Palladium in NYC.

Been listening to Mahavishnu Orchestra live in Central Park '73, "Between Nothingness & Eternity", and some Return to Forever "No Mystery" and "Hymn of the Seventh Galaxy". Dueling drums between Cobham and White. :tebow:

John McLaughin Trio featuring Indian percussionist Triloc Gurtu. Very unique set up as he's playing something similar to a western style drum kit but sits on the floor in a tabla style of playing. :tebow:
That's hell on the back ... Gurtu's got endurance to spare. Props to him.

Took a while, but I'm glad that Clem Burke (Blondie), Steve Smith, and Jeff Porcaro (Boz Scaggs, Toto) got mentions.

Two I think I missed: no one tabbed Terry Bozzio (Zappa, Missing Persons) or Tony Thompson (Chic, Power Station, Led Zeppelin '85 at Live Aid) yet?

Just noticed the title "our time".

Define that.

I think the subject is more interesting if you eliminate the drummers that were making music when Gerald Ford was president.

Good to see Buddy Rich finally make the thread.

Outside of the many, many already mentioned, I always thought Stephen Morris from Joy Division/New Order was criminally underrated. As much as any instrumentalist, his drumming defined the sound of those bands- especially JD.

Michael Dahlquist (Silkworm)

Britt Walford (Slint, Breeders)

Todd Trainer (Riflesport, Shellac)

Damon Che (Don Caballero)

Jim White (Dirty Three, Bad Seeds)

Mac McNeilly (Jesus Lizard, Mule, Reelfoot)

El Floppo said:
Good to see Buddy Rich finally make the thread.

Outside of the many, many already mentioned, I always thought Stephen Morris from Joy Division/New Order was criminally underrated. As much as any instrumentalist, his drumming defined the sound of those bands- especially JD.
Morris is awesome, but I'd argue that Peter Hook's bass was more sound-defining. This is hair-splitting though: both are indispensable.

Neil Peart for sure. Who can argue with that????
Those of us who think Rush sucks
anyone else???
j/k. I think he is a great drummer, but I do think Rush sucks
you don't like any rush? Not one song? There must be one.
No, there isn't one. Not one. Because every single Rush song is top-to-bottom full of crappy Rush music. Because Geddy Lee wails like an eunuch and his lyrics are sub-Ayn Rand stupid. Because Neal Pert's drumming--for all his technical prowess--still sounds like somebody rattling some frozen peas in an old beer can.

Man, what the hell is the deal with Rush fans. Why can none of you seem to grok that everybody doesn't like your stupid batch of noodling Canadian hair farmers?

anyone else???
No, there isn't one. Not one. Because every single Rush song is top-to-bottom full of crappy Rush music. Because Geddy Lee wails like an eunuch and his lyrics are sub-Ayn Rand stupid. Because Neal Pert's drumming--for all his technical prowess--still sounds like somebody rattling some frozen peas in an old beer can.

Man, what the hell is the deal with Rush fans. Why can none of you seem to grok that everybody doesn't like your stupid batch of noodling Canadian hair farmers?
OH - back with guns blazin'

I know a drummer who grew up idolizing Peart, and could play almost every Rush tune. He's in LA now. I asked him how things were going, and he said:

"You can't get a gig unless you're Black in this town".

Maybe he should had grown up idolizing Bernard Purdie.

anyone else???
No, there isn't one. Not one. Because every single Rush song is top-to-bottom full of crappy Rush music. Because Geddy Lee wails like an eunuch and his lyrics are sub-Ayn Rand stupid. Because Neal Pert's drumming--for all his technical prowess--still sounds like somebody rattling some frozen peas in an old beer can.Man, what the hell is the deal with Rush fans. Why can none of you seem to grok that everybody doesn't like your stupid batch of noodling Canadian hair farmers?
OH - back with guns blazin'
bait wasn't even that good.

Though it's not my favorite kind of music, it's interesting to me that there's been so much mention of Peart here and none of Carl Palmer.

John McLaughin Trio featuring Indian percussionist Triloc Gurtu. Very unique set up as he's playing something similar to a western style drum kit but sits on the floor in a tabla style of playing. :tebow:

Took a while, but I'm glad that Clem Burke (Blondie), Steve Smith, and Jeff Porcaro (Boz Scaggs, Toto) got mentions.

Two I think I missed: no one tabbed Terry Bozzio (Zappa, Missing Persons) or Tony Thompson (Chic, Power Station, Led Zeppelin '85 at Live Aid) yet?
I've been learning the drums casually over the past 2 years, purely self-taught. Blondie has always stuck out as a mainstream band where the drums are killer on just about every song and I never would have noticed had I not tried to drum myself.

anyone else???

Might be the best post ever made on these forums.

I've been learning the drums casually over the past 2 years, purely self-taught. Blondie has always stuck out as a mainstream band where the drums are killer on just about every song and I never would have noticed had I not tried to drum myself.
Clem Burke was the best musician in Blondie, really propelled the songs.

Pat Mastelotto is one of the 3 drummers in the current King Crimson line up (along with Gavin Harrison and Bill Rieflin). Harrison has been mentioned in this thread but watching this group live, it was PM that had my full attention. A show within a show.

anyone else???

there's just not enough likes in the world

Frank Beard of ZZ Top deserves a nod if only because the drumming on "I Heard it on the X" is insane.

Also, for the whomever was looking for a female drummer, Hozoji Margullis of the incredible Tacoma band Helms Alee blows my damn mind. Just mind-boggling patterns that seem so simple but weigh so freaking heavy. Just nobody playing drums like her, really.

Gavin Harrison is the Washington head on my drummer Mt. Rushmore...

Potential heads:

JP Gaster

Keith Carlock

Jojo Mayer

Benny Greb

Simon Phillips

Colaiuta/Gadd/Carey - mentioned previously

Just my two pieces of copper-coated zinc...

Last edited by a moderator:
Charlie is a good one too

add Ray Luzier to that list

Great call on Ray Luzier. Loved his stuff while playing with David Lee Roth. He's a really cool guy too!
Nice to see Ray getting some props. Ray graduated from my high school the same year as my sister. Just knew back then that he was a great drummer in our area, nice to see how well he has done.

Great call on Ray Luzier. Loved his stuff while playing with David Lee Roth. He's a really cool guy too!
Nice to see Ray getting some props. Ray graduated from my high school the same year as my sister. Just knew back then that he was a great drummer in our area, nice to see how well he has done.
thanks for sharing this link. Tons of awesomeness in that linked video, but that ride pattern he lays down at the 5:00 mark is just sooooo damn unique and killer. Love that.

joey said:
Stoneys said:

thanks for sharing this link. Tons of awesomeness in that linked video, but that ride pattern he lays down at the 5:00 mark is just sooooo damn unique and killer. Love that.
:thumbup:

anyone else???

Q: How many drummers does it take to change a light bulb?

anyone else???
No, there isn't one. Not one. Because every single Rush song is top-to-bottom full of crappy Rush music. Because Geddy Lee wails like an eunuch and his lyrics are sub-Ayn Rand stupid. Because Neal Pert's drumming--for all his technical prowess--still sounds like somebody rattling some frozen peas in an old beer can.Man, what the hell is the deal with Rush fans. Why can none of you seem to grok that everybody doesn't like your stupid batch of noodling Canadian hair farmers?
One to screw in the bulb and four others to talk about how much better Bonham/Purdie/Copeland/Peart would have done it?

Q: How do you get the best drummer in your town to get off of your porch?

A: Just pay him for the pizza, man.

anyone else???

One - John Rutsey

anyone else???
One to screw in the bulb and four others to talk about how much better Bonham/Purdie/Copeland/Peart would have done it?

Q: How do you get the best drummer in your town to get off of your porch?

A: Ask him to play something other than YYZ

Users who are viewing this thread