What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Gronk, Brady, Amendola, Blount wihout Edelman (1 Viewer)

bpm

Footballguy
How much of a hit do they take(Amendola get s a bump probably)? Does Gronk get more defensive coverage now?

How much of a hit do they take(Amendola get s a bump probably)? Does Gronk get more defensive coverage now?
I doubt anything changes. Amendola is an Edelman clone. And with Lafell stretching the field, more of what we've seen for the first 9 games.

Does Gronk get more defensive coverage now?
Would it matter? Teams have tried, he still gets his.

The Denver defense is the only thing left on the schedule I'd worry much about. Even then I'm not benching Brady or Gronk.

I think Brady is the only one that takes a hit. The rest probably get a bump up.

The offense will still be good I'm sure, but there's no way that losing Lewis and Edelman in consecutive weeks isn't going to hurt them.

I think Brady is the only one that takes a hit. The rest probably get a bump up.

The offense will still be good I'm sure, but there's no way that losing Lewis and Edelman in consecutive weeks isn't going to hurt them.
Unfortunately, as positive and as upbeat and as great as the Patriots have been, Brady takes a hit and you cannot replace (plug and play Amendola) into a #1 WR spot that Edelman played so well. You can hear the slight deflate in Brady's comments:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000581396/article/brady-edelman-is-too-good-to-just-put-someone-else-in

No way else to spin it?

I have Brady and Gronk, and I think losing Edelman takes it toll across the board. Yes, they will reinvent themselves. We shall see...

I doubt anything changes. Amendola is an Edelman clone. And with Lafell stretching the field, more of what we've seen for the first 9 games.
My thoughts as well. Brady does not need superstars at WR. It is mostly about the scheme with the WRs. Throw in the great Gronk and NE is not going to miss a beat.

I think Amendola can fill 90% of Edelman's role, and LaFell will get a more consistent targets. I'm rolling out Amendola until he gets hurt as a nice WR2/3 where I have him.

Maybe the shark move is to add Keshawn Martin for when Amendola gets hurt :thumbup:

I believe that the extra attention Gronk is getting (double and triple teamed at times) combined with the Patriots desire to keep him healthy has limited his touches by 20%. I think the losses of Lewis and Edelman means more targets for Gronk but at a lower efficiency.

I also think that Amendola is NOT an exact clone of Edelman and that Amendola has more big plays in him (he can run more routes than Julian) but less RAC (so WR screens on 3rd and 7 will more often result in punts). Amendola will get 70-80% of Edelman's production (fewer catches, higher YPC, fewer TDs).

Scott Chandler will be more heavily utilized (both in the redzone AND between the 20s) but likely still not enough to be more than a flex play.

Lafell's production will increase and he'll be startable as a WR3 when the Patriots 1) face teams without a pass rush 2) fix their o-line woes.

Blount will benefit but will still be suspect to being game-planned out (i.e. against the Bills this week).

Brady takes a 10-15% hit in his production as there will be fewer scoring drives.

I believe that the extra attention Gronk is getting (double and triple teamed at times) combined with the Patriots desire to keep him healthy has limited his touches by 20%. I think the losses of Lewis and Edelman means more targets for Gronk but at a lower efficiency.

I also think that Amendola is NOT an exact clone of Edelman and that Amendola has more big plays in him (he can run more routes than Julian) but less RAC (so WR screens on 3rd and 7 will more often result in punts). Amendola will get 70-80% of Edelman's production (fewer catches, higher YPC, fewer TDs).

Scott Chandler will be more heavily utilized (both in the redzone AND between the 20s) but likely still not enough to be more than a flex play.

Lafell's production will increase and he'll be startable as a WR3 when the Patriots 1) face teams without a pass rush 2) fix their o-line woes.

Blount will benefit but will still be suspect to being game-planned out (i.e. against the Bills this week).

Brady takes a 10-15% hit in his production as there will be fewer scoring drives.
I tend to agree with most of this. Though I don't think Amendola ends up with a higher YPC than Edelman. He's slower, not as quick, and even if he runs more routes it has not translated to more big plays as he still has a lower ypc than Edelman over the last 3 years in NE and their careers.

And I already saw teams doing a lot to take away Gronk. As good as Edelman was in his role I think teams still schemed with Gronk as the clear priority. They may have put a better DB on Edelman but he was not the type of player that demanded bracket coverage.

Brady has talked about Edelman and Amendola not being the same type of player and while I don't think he's a plug and play carbon copy like some here have suggested, I do see him with a very similar role and leading the WRs in targets with a ypc around 10 doing most of his work in the slot and underneath. Very similar to Edelman.

But I'd still agree with the more targets at a lower efficiency for Gronk, Amendola getting about 80% of Edelman's production, and situational bumps for Blount and LaFell.

Unfortunately, as positive and as upbeat and as great as the Patriots have been, Brady takes a hit and you cannot replace (plug and play Amendola) into a #1 WR spot that Edelman played so well. You can hear the slight deflate in Brady's comments:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000581396/article/brady-edelman-is-too-good-to-just-put-someone-else-in

No way else to spin it?

I have Brady and Gronk, and I think losing Edelman takes it toll across the board. Yes, they will reinvent themselves. We shall see...
I see what you did there.

Without Lewis or Eldelman, Brady threw for over 200 yards in the 4th quarter against the Giants. The Pats will find a way to get it done. It just may take a few more passes or incompletions to do it.

Brady was on the radio yesterday saying Martin would be seeing more playing time. White also will still get a chance to get more receptions.

I don't see the offense taking a big hit, especially when their three injured lineman come back and Gronk can go back to running more routes.

They will get used to call plays without Lewis or Edelman on the field. Lots of folks will get a couple extra targets per game. I would not drop Brady's projections at all.

:no:
Both are small, quick, good route runners and have great hands. I think the pats system tends to churn out a lot of players who seem better than they really are. Not saying Edelman isn't a true talent, but he wouldn't be a world buster on a lot of other teams. All you have to see is how Brady used Amendola on the game winning drive last Sunday. Three quick hitters. Just like he always does with Edelman. They'll be fine. Just wait.

Danny A is not IMO an Edelman clone. His low ypc is one concern, what he can do in the red zone is another. Otoh great QBs like Brees and Brady seemingly can mold any receiver to run the routes they ask and succeed.

Dola is a little bit bigger, but hes completely capable of playing Edelman's role and has in the past.

He's also been killing it this year, 40 catchable balls, 40 catches. He's been coming up huge since the playoffs last year.

I honestly think most people are overlooking amendola and are expecting way too much if they think he's taking Edelman's role. I've never seen tge pats just replace an injured player's role with "the next man up." Amendola already has his own role in the offense, if we want to believe it or not. I think the most drastic stat bump will be keahawn Martin.....going from nothing, to something when healthy

Both are small, quick, good route runners and have great hands. I think the pats system tends to churn out a lot of players who seem better than they really are. Not saying Edelman isn't a true talent, but he wouldn't be a world buster on a lot of other teams. All you have to see is how Brady used Amendola on the game winning drive last Sunday. Three quick hitters. Just like he always does with Edelman. They'll be fine. Just wait.
Like woodhead......

Like woodhead......
for every Woodhead, there's a Green-Ellis or Ridley who crapped the bed elsewhere.

Just like Jordy wouldnt hurt the Packers? Even good players like Cobb are effected by another key player missing.

To say going from Edelman to Amendola doesnt change anything are kidding themselves.

Doesnt mean they wont still be great and effective, but it changes who the defenses focus on even more.

No Lewis and no Edelman, now defense can focus all day on Gronk and let Amendola and LaFell try to beat them.

What does Edelman have to do to earn respect from people?

Last edited by a moderator:
Just like Jordy wouldnt hurt the Packers? Even good players like Cobb are effected by another key player missing.

To say going from Edelman to Amendola doesnt change anything are kidding themselves.

Doesnt mean they wont still be great and effective, but it changes who the defenses focus on even more.

No Lewis and no Edelman, now defense can focus all day on Gronk and let Amendola and LaFell try to beat them.

Amendola is a lot closer to Edelman than anyone they have is similar to Dion Lewis. When healthy, Amendola is a fine slot receiver. Great route runner and great hands. Durability has been his issue.

Not sure why you think saying that is a slight on Edelman. The two have a very similar skill set.

Without Lewis or Eldelman, Brady threw for over 200 yards in the 4th quarter against the Giants. The Pats will find a way to get it done. It just may take a few more passes or incompletions to do it.

Brady was on the radio yesterday saying Martin would be seeing more playing time. White also will still get a chance to get more receptions.

I don't see the offense taking a big hit, especially when their three injured lineman come back and Gronk can go back to running more routes.

They will get used to call plays without Lewis or Edelman on the field. Lots of folks will get a couple extra targets per game. I would not drop Brady's projections at all.
Note that much of that 200 was on a busted play where Gronk went 75 yds.

But otherwise, I agree Brady should be unaffected, unless NE decides to run the ball a lot more with Blount.

Bumps for Amendola and LaFell, Gronk is unaffected....he's still Gronk.

I think the Lewis injury affected them more than anything. With WRs, it seems like they could feature Dwayne Bowe and Cole Beasley and somehow it would turn up roses.

Danny A is not IMO an Edelman clone. His low ypc is one concern
The last 3 years Edelman's ypc is 10.5 while Amendola's is 10.2. If ypc is a concern for one it should be for the other no?

I honestly think most people are overlooking amendola and are expecting way too much if they think he's taking Edelman's role. I've never seen tge pats just replace an injured player's role with "the next man up." Amendola already has his own role in the offense, if we want to believe it or not. I think the most drastic stat bump will be keahawn Martin.....going from nothing, to something when healthy
You must have meant something else when you said overlook. But I do think Amendola takes over Edelman's role. As stated before I don't think he will match his production but I think he can come close.

I think people have forgotten that when Welker left NE in 2013 they quickly moved to replace him with Amendola and gave him $10mil guaranteed, more than Edelman got a year later. In his first game as a Pat he had 10 for 104 and was well on his way to having the Welker role before injuries derailed him.

Edelman has proven to be the better player and durability is always a concern for Amendola but the Pats brought him in thinking he was gonna to have the role that Edelman has taken the last 2.5 years. He will have the opportunity to fill that role again for as long as he can stay healthy IMO. I know there is talk about Keshawn Martin but he has to first get on the field and then prove more worthy of targets than Amendola. Could happen but I'll believe it when I see it.

Nobody else on the Packers has anything close to Jordy's skill set while Edelman and Amendola have very similar skill sets.

Losing 2 key players is a concern for any team. But the Patriots are the most prepared team in the league and do a better job of replacing players than others. And teams were always focused on stopping Gronk. Edelman is a very good player but he's never been the main weapon teams schemed against. If teams pay less attention to Amendola than they did Edelman that just means more room for him to operate underneath and in the slot.

Again, I'm not expecting Amendola to replicated Edelman's numbers. But he has a very good chance at getting 80% plus of them. I think we'll all take a FA pickup who has the chance to get 80% of WR1 production.

Like woodhead......
for every Woodhead, there's a Green-Ellis or Ridley who crapped the bed elsewhere.
Neither one of those was the sort of pass catcher you're describing. The guys like Welker, Woodhead, and Vereen have all generally had success elsewhere.

Amondola is a little lighter. He will play and play close to Julian's level but he may not be able to take the same punishment. BB and Brady are going to leave A to his job, plays might go through him more but he already had a key role in this offense. Will he get more love from Brady, most likely. Can he take the added attention and hits? We will see.

not saying amendola is edelman, but I remember some years back when people were saying Edelman was just like welker and people were saying the same type of thing. amendola's biggest issue to me is he can't stay healthy. I guess we'll know at the end of the year if he can replicate edelman's spot.

Teams are gonna change their tunes real quick if they go into games expecting to triple team gronk and leave Lafell and Dola man to man.

Users who are viewing this thread