What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Gronk Trade Value (post Week 6 redraft) (1 Viewer)

PhantomJB

Footballguy
Buying or selling?

With Dr. Andrew not clearing Gronk for week 6 his status is even murkier than before the season.

The next piece of news just as easily could be he's playing in Week 7 or he's on IR for the rest of the year.

The combination of huge upside, major downside, owners' potential urgency plus conflicting information coming from the Patriots has to make this a unique trade situation.

Not looking to hijack the Injury thread but anyone making a move and how do you come to a value?

there is no way to even guess.... one owner might give you 2012 gronk value... other owners may not want to deal with his situation... you just have to test the waters yourself by going to each owner

The better teams with good depth should be using this as a buy low speculation imo. I believe even with the uncertainty that he does have reasonable trade value in redraft.

Just sold Gronk for Ray Rice. Owner's really frustrated with his TE situation -- still I can't believe he accepted.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good thread. Hard to assess.

Sooooooooooo obvious NE needs him. Holy cow what would a healthy Gronk be doing on that team right now targets and RZ wise.

Been trying to buy him from the owner with Julius Thomas and no WRs for Antonio Brown and Jared Cook - no success.

In dynasty I offered Julius Thomas + a 2014 1st (mid-early) - no luck, holding off on working out a different offer.

Chances are at some point he's going to come back and put up some monster games. In redraft, some owners may gamble and give up some value.

Long-term, I think his value suffers from being an increased injury risk. He's currently at odds with his team over his availability and even when he does come back, will he be the same Gronk and how long can he stay healthy? Will he require future back surgery (he's already had 2 in 4 years)? Will his arm strong enough to withstand the weekly punishment? With the emergence of other TEs and the evolution taking place at the position, I think Gronk's value takes a hit. Clearly a healthy Gronkowski is head and shoulders above most other TEs, but the health concerns may enough of a question mark to lower his overall value.

ETA: didn't see "redraft" in the title.

if you've been holding him this long you cant abandon now. with amendola injured again this just boosts his value.. ride it til the wheels come off

I was offered Alfred Morris for him. I decided to hold, as I've waited this long already. Could I have overplayed my hand? Sure. But the potential payoff is too much to ignore.

I would stay away if you could. If he is holding out to protect himself, I could see him not giving it 100% to protect himself. This Patriots team is cursed this year.

I have put him on the block to see who is willing to step up. Right now everyone wants a major discount.

Been offered:

David Wilson - straight up - could not stop laughing.

Spiller / D. Wilson for Gronk / L. Miller - rejected.

Gresham /Seahawks / 2nd Round pick - rejected

V. Jackson straight up - rejected

If you own Gronk - I think you just gotta hold out unless your team has glaring needs.

I'm holding him. It is extremely unlikely that anybody would be willing to offer what I would consider accepting.

In leagues I don't own him...I'm not looking to acquire him, because I'm sure the owner would want more than I am willing to give.

Or, you might say...I'm going down with the ship.

I have put him on the block to see who is willing to step up. Right now everyone wants a major discount.

Been offered:

If you own Gronk - I think you just gotta hold out unless your team has glaring needs.
What would you (or others) say is mostly the cause of the major discount:

a) emergence of many other TE1 options (Thomas/Cameron/Davis/Gates, etc.)

b) fear Gronk won't be "Gronk" when he returns

c) just plain uncertainty what week he will return

d) that he may actually end up on IR.

Very curious how many trade partners now view d) as a distinct possibility.

Been offered:

All of the above.

Unless the potential buyer doesn't have a strong TE, in which case it's everything but A.

Been offered:

It's the uncertainty. Is it one more week? Seems more likely to be another month just by how this has "felt" and sure, IR has to be possible, all with the reality that if/when he does come back you assume some potential for less production or worse, reinjury?

That's a LOT of uncertainty for a player who is top 1/2 at his position when healthy. So it's a huge gap in potential upside/downside. Hard to trade him and get enough value, hard to trade for him and feel good about it.

Been offered:

All of the above.

Unless the potential buyer doesn't have a strong TE, in which case it's everything but A.
Many of the Gronk owners knew they needed a TE and many found good replacements. I drafted Cameron flipped him after the 2nd week and acquired Thomas. I am sure others have decent backups. The perception is that if you have a good TE and have Gronk rostered - other teams may be able to get him on the cheap.

The other angle is that many Gronk owners are probably very frustrated and may be willing to cut bait now before their current commodity becomes worthless.

A big time reminder here. In Dynasty - Gronk is only 24. When healthy he is the BEST TE in football and gives teams a clear advantage. Even if he is put on IR this year - I believe there is a very high percentage that he will return and return at 100%.

Just gotta hang on unless someone is willing to pay "healthy Gronk" value.

I am sure there are owners out there that decided Cook, Fleener, or Eifort would be their backup - and have been losing games. Those owners are probably more desperate.

Have been offered Aaron Rodgers and Greg Olsen for Andrew Luck and Gronk. Also own Heath Miller in a PPR redraft so I'm torn on it(not asking for advice, just providing an example of an offer received).

I traded gronk last week in redraft non ppr along with Chris Johnson and Larry fitz for edleman, Vernon Davis and Reggie bush. Needless to say I'm quite happy with the trade.

Been offered:

All of the above.

Many of the Gronk owners knew they needed a TE and many found good replacements. I drafted Cameron flipped him after the 2nd week and acquired Thomas. I am sure others have decent backups. The perception is that if you have a good TE and have Gronk rostered - other teams may be able to get him on the cheap.

The other angle is that many Gronk owners are probably very frustrated and may be willing to cut bait now before their current commodity becomes worthless.

A big time reminder here. In Dynasty - Gronk is only 24. When healthy he is the BEST TE in football and gives teams a clear advantage. Even if he is put on IR this year - I believe there is a very high percentage that he will return and return at 100%.

Just gotta hang on unless someone is willing to pay "healthy Gronk" value.

I am sure there are owners out there that decided Cook, Fleener, or Eifort would be their backup - and have been losing games. Those owners are probably more desperate.
That was my second TE. Freaking Cook. I started him for the first 5 weeks. Went with Cumberland last week, which meant I had 3 TE's on my roster, as I'm holding out hope on both Gronk and Cook. 3 TEs! It's madness!

But I'd still require a pretty hefty price tag to give him away. I'd rather go down with the ship all the way to IR (it's a redraft league) than trade him away only to have him be the trump card for another team during the playoff push/playoffs.

In dynasty I have seen him go for:

VJAX and Moreno

Lacy and Hilton

I'm probably missing the boat but I think that is Waaay too much to give for Gronk at this point as a straight up, no other parameters, trade. The teams that made these trades were both very deep and are clearly trying to win now and trying for the super lottery ticket (and have weak TEs) so I get it, but i think all things being equal, I don't make that trade on either case.

Users who are viewing this thread