What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Hail to the Redskins! (1 Viewer)

I thought you missed a couple, so I went ahead and added them.

11. Alexander fumbles at the skins 12yd line in which would have been a sure score early, giving the skins false confidence.

12. Skins are on there way to another 3 and out and.....

"4-8-WAS17 (14:13) D.Frost punts 42 yards to SEA 41, Center-E.Albright. J.Williams MUFFS catch, RECOVERED by WAS-P.Prioleau at SEA 39. P.Prioleau to SEA 39 for no gain (N.Koutouvides). " Giving the Skins more false confidence. And lead to the first score of the game a field goal after starting at the seahawks 39 yard line.

So as you pointed out that they once lead 3-0, if it wasn't for the seahawks own undoing, it should have actually been 7-0 Seahawks at that point, a 10 pt swing. The Skins had nothing to do with either of those seahawks turnovers. It turns out that even though the spread was 9.5 they were way off, it should have actually been 20. The skins were lucky to stay within 10, had it not been for untimely turnovers of their own doing and injuries. Bottom line they were out classed, even though they had a classy QB like Brunell. And an armpit like Taylor. If you can't beat a team that turns the ball over 3 times, you have no claims to beating them in the first place.
Since you hadn't won a playoff game in 20 years, it's clear that you're unfamiliar with how to conduct yourself following such a victory.Here's a tip -- don't be a sore winner.

I continually see people disrespecting this team. Nobody seems to think they are for real. Yet look at what they've done:

They've gone on the road and beaten a Cowboys team that is 2-0(with both of those victories coming on the road) in their other game.

They've beaten a Chicago team that is 1-1 in their other games with one great game(killing Detroit) and one poor game against a tough opponent.

People are underrating just how good this Redskins D is. Last year, I said multiple times that the Skins D was far and away the best in the league. The only reason that they weren't at the top of the league statistically was because the offense last year was incredibly mistake-prone and they left the D in terrible shape all the time. However, from watching them, I could tell that they were amazing.

If I had to compare this team to another, it would be the 2000 Ravens. Most people will say that the Skins D isn't as good, and I agree with that, but I think its a lot closer than many think. They've given up 20 points so far, which means they are on pace to give up 160 for the year, which btw would beat the Skins record for best defense of all time.

And I actually give the Redskins the advantage in offense. Don't forget just how bad that 2000 Ravens offense was to start the year. They went 5 straight games without an offensive TD!!! But then they switched their QB(just like the Skins) and played conservative and took a few shots downfield each game(just like the Skins). I think that Brunell is just like Dilfer except he has better mobility. Portis is every bit as good as Lewis. And their receiving corps are about even.

The Redskins will be in every game this year because they have a great(not good, but great) defense.Their offense and special teams will produce a few big plays here and there which will be sufficient. Otherwise, they will minimize their mistakes on offense.

The Skins are 2.5 point favorites this week. That means that they are likely to go 3-0. What will everyone say then? Will it still be a fluke then?

I predict that the Skins finish 10-6 and enter the playoffs as a wild card(just like the Ravens did). Then if they get hot at the right time, they could make a similar run.

BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR ..... BIIIAAATTTCCCHH!!

I don't even think Lavar wants to leave.
Lavar was quoted on Comcast yesterday as saying that he was interested in restructuring to remain with the team. I happen to believe it's too late for him given his in-season attitude, but we'll see.

Lavar was quoted on Comcast yesterday as saying that he was interested in restructuring to remain with the team. I happen to believe it's too late for him given his in-season attitude, but we'll see.
Interesting. I've avoided most Redskins news until now, so I didn't see that yesterday. I think I'm emotionally ready to get back into it now. :bag: Is it just me or did Lavar look slow this weekend?

Anybody who thinks Ramsey might be back with the Skins next season didn't see the footage of him packing a U-Haul trailer at Redskins Park yesterday when the team cleaned out lockers. I don't know if his house if for sale yet, but I wouldn't expect to see the #11 car anywhere near Ashburn any time soon.

He would basically have to give up the $6.5 mil roster bonus that he's spent the last two seasons bitatching about to get to a cap friendly number. And that's probably only a one year fix anyway.

Anybody who thinks Ramsey might be back with the Skins next season didn't see the footage of him packing a U-Haul trailer at Redskins Park yesterday when the team cleaned out lockers. I don't know if his house if for sale yet, but I wouldn't expect to see the #11 car anywhere near Ashburn any time soon.
Yep, my guess would be he's the one player that actually wants out. There may be one or two others, but not much more than that.But, he's not a FA, right?

Anybody who thinks Ramsey might be back with the Skins next season didn't see the footage of him packing a U-Haul trailer at Redskins Park yesterday when the team cleaned out lockers.  I don't know if his house if for sale yet, but I wouldn't expect to see the #11 car anywhere near Ashburn any time soon.
Yep, my guess would be he's the one player that actually wants out. There may be one or two others, but not much more than that.But, he's not a FA, right?
Nope. IIRC he has one more year left on his rookie contract. But that's why he has trade value.

Tom Boswell's column in the Washington Post

Before next season, the Redskins absolutely and unequivocally have to add one crucial player. Everything else is peripheral. Somehow, they must acquire a potential 1,000-yard wide receiver to complement Santana Moss. The rest of the team's decisions -- whether to keep LaVar Arrington, trade or release Patrick Ramsey -- are mere fluff by comparison.

If the Redskins get that key receiver, they should be a full-blown Super Bowl contender next season. Either that or the whole NFL will know Joe Gibbs's offensive system is no longer good enough to produce a champion. Does Gibbs's attack, which has changed little since the 1980s, work in postseason conditions in the 21st century? Or were the sputtering offensive frustrations of the past two weeks in the playoffs the best that can be expected in the future? Either way, an answer is needed.

Until Gibbs has the same kind of personnel that he used in his first era, no verdict on his system can be reached. For 12 years, Gibbs never doubted who his most valuable weapon was. Quarterbacks, running backs, H-backs and deep-threat wide receivers came and went. Four quarterbacks took the team as far as the NFC championship game. Three runners had 1,000-yard seasons. Charlie Brown and Gary Clark each started in two Super Bowls as the Redskins' fastest man on the flank. However, Art Monk was the constant. Every season, the reliable third-down possession receiver, who should be in the Hall of Fame, lined up at wide receiver opposite some burner.

Back then, Gibbs always had a hero to complement his home-run-bomb speedsters. Six times Gibbs had a pair of receivers who combined for more than 2,000 yards. Once, he even had three 1,000-yard receivers on a team. Multiple gifted wide receivers were constantly a key part of his total package. This month, however, Gibbs had zero -- zip, zilch -- to help Moss. The main reason the Redskins are out of the playoffs, instead of dreaming of a Super Bowl, is also the reason they have a right to imagine themselves in the Super Bowl in Miami next year: This season, the Redskins played offense with only 10 men.

For the last seven regular season games, plus two playoff games, Taylor Jacobs and James Thrash played the wide receiver position once manned by Monk. They caught a pathetic seven passes for no touchdowns. From the second quarter of the Arizona game to the second quarter of the Eagles' season finale, no wide receiver except Moss caught a pass. These overmatched fellows replaced injured David Patten who, in the first nine games, was little better, catching only 22 passes for just 217 yards.

For public consumption, Gibbs and others on his staff praise Patten's work ethic and Thrash's toughness. Nobody has a good word for Jacobs. (If you run off the field yelling, "I think I have a concussion," then you probably don't.) If, in private, the Redskins believe that this pair is good enough, then they are wrong. Neither has ever had an 850-yard season. Both are on the wrong side of 30. As third and fourth receivers, they'd be fine, perhaps evoking memories of Ricky Sanders. But that's all. "We know it," said one Redskins source of the gaping need at wide receiver. "Believe me, we know it.".......................

.................So, don't expect to see new formations, new strategies or significantly different play-calling next season. It's just not going to happen. Gibbs will be Gibbs. To find out if that approach to offense is good enough in the current NFL, one thing is essential. Gibbs has assembled his new Hogs and his 1,500-yard running back. He has as good a deep receiver in Moss as he's ever coached and in Chris Cooley he may have his best H-back ever. Between Mark Brunell (23 touchdown passes, only 10 interceptions) and the young Campbell, he now has quarterbacks who are comparable to his list of non-Hall-of-Famers in the past.

What Gibbs does not have is a second wide receiver who is even remotely equivalent to the kind of player his system demands. Until that void is corrected, the Redskins probably won't go any further than they did this season. If they do, then Gibbs will have a fair chance to prove that, past the age of 65, he can go all the way to a fifth Super Bowl.

If you can't beat a team that turns the ball over 3 times, you have no claims to beating them in the first place.
The odd thing here is that so many Redskin games this year were the exact opposite -- -2 or -3 on the turnovers but they still come out with a win. Same tune for Saturday's game, but this time it was Seattle in the negative but getting the W.

I probably won't be seen in the Shark Pool for a few days, so let me try to cover everything here:

1. Congrats to the Seahawks and their fans. They were the better team today, and they deserve to be where they are at.

2. The key play of the game imo was a play that didn't even get much publicity. Washington had just scored and was up 3-0. Hasselbeck threw a terrible pass the C Rogers had a chance to intercept and take in for the score. He dropped it. If the Skins go up 10-0 there, they win the game imo. Two plays later the refs gave Seattle a very generous spot after 3rd down, and they went on to score.

3. Four teams advanced farther than the Redskins this year. If fans of those teams want to come in here and gloat, I'll listen to it and take it like a man. To all of the fans of other teams: Your team did no better than the Redskins, so you have no right to brag.

4. FWIW, I was absolutely perfect in my predictions of the Redskins this year: I predicted them to go 10-6, make the playoffs as a wild card, beat TB, lose to Seattle. If anyone wants to rub it in, please consider this first.

5. I will be back in here sometime, and I will read and respond all of the trash talk that I'm sure will come. Please don't take my disappearance that is soon to come as a sign that I'm avoiding this thread. I'm just really depressed about the Skins right now and have no desire to watch or talk football.

6. How do you miss a 36 yard FG?

7. The Skins D is great. They force TOs as well as any unit in the league, they are young, they hit hard, they will only get better.

8. The Skins need a #2 WR and a QB of the future. Other than that, they have all of the pieces for a championship squad.

9. I am a bit jaded due to the fact that Washington played such a hard schedule and got such bad breaks by the refs in the regular season. If they had bee a top 2 seed, I feel like things would be differently, but I guess those are the breaks.

10. Again, congrats to Seattle and their fans.
Ok, I think I've finally gotten over everything. Ready to talk some football now and see what everyone wrote after I left....

I probably won't be seen in the Shark Pool for a few days, so let me try to cover everything here:

1. Congrats to the Seahawks and their fans. They were the better team today, and they deserve to be where they are at.

2. The key play of the game imo was a play that didn't even get much publicity. Washington had just scored and was up 3-0. Hasselbeck threw a terrible pass the C Rogers had a chance to intercept and take in for the score. He dropped it. If the Skins go up 10-0 there, they win the game imo. Two plays later the refs gave Seattle a very generous spot after 3rd down, and they went on to score.

3. Four teams advanced farther than the Redskins this year. If fans of those teams want to come in here and gloat, I'll listen to it and take it like a man. To all of the fans of other teams: Your team did no better than the Redskins, so you have no right to brag.

4. FWIW, I was absolutely perfect in my predictions of the Redskins this year: I predicted them to go 10-6, make the playoffs as a wild card, beat TB, lose to Seattle. If anyone wants to rub it in, please consider this first.

5. I will be back in here sometime, and I will read and respond all of the trash talk that I'm sure will come. Please don't take my disappearance that is soon to come as a sign that I'm avoiding this thread. I'm just really depressed about the Skins right now and have no desire to watch or talk football.

7. The Skins D is great. They force TOs as well as any unit in the league, they are young, they hit hard, they will only get better.

8. The Skins need a #2 WR and a QB of the future. Other than that, they have all of the pieces for a championship squad.

9. I am a bit jaded due to the fact that Washington played such a hard schedule and got such bad breaks by the refs in the regular season. If they had bee a top 2 seed, I feel like things would be differently, but I guess those are the breaks.

All I hear is Wah Wah Wah.Just curious....did the Hawks beat the SPREAD....ya, so you weren't right in your prediction.
Yes, the Hawks beat the spread. I have never been a great sports bettor. But I was 100% correct in my predictions of the Skins this past year, and throughout the year people continuously told me how wrong I was.

Good season, guys. We did a lot more than virtually everyone thought we would, and probably more than most of us thought we would just six weeks ago.

Seattle played well all around and deserved to win - although that punt returner needs to have some work with a wet ball against good gunners.

I'm seeing in Brunell the last two games what I saw in Brad Johnson during the second half of 1999 - a QB who is wearing down. With Brunell I'm not sure whether it's the knee, or just his age, but he just doesn't move or throw with the same decisiveness that he did earlier in the year.

We may see Campbell starting next year.
Well we got our #2 WR that we were all talking about(and a #3), but this still concerns me. How will Brunell hold up this year? Thats the big question.

Seattle is a beautiful city filled with nice people and has a solid NFL team.  Congrats on the win, Seahawk fans.  Hope you win it all.
Yes. Yes this is true. Also, we don't feel the need to start thread after thread gloating and calling the other team a bunch of choke artists. Pretty much, we're nicer than the average fan. :)
No, you just feel the need to call the refs biased ;) I say that in total jest Shick!, as I recall you being one of the classier posters following their SB loss.

I thought you missed a couple, so I went ahead and added them. 11. Alexander fumbles at the skins 12yd line in which would have been a sure score early, giving the skins false confidence.

12. Skins are on there way to another 3 and out and.....

"4-8-WAS17 (14:13) D.Frost punts 42 yards to SEA 41, Center-E.Albright. J.Williams MUFFS catch, RECOVERED by WAS-P.Prioleau at SEA 39. P.Prioleau to SEA 39 for no gain (N.Koutouvides). " Giving the Skins more false confidence. And lead to the first score of the game a field goal after starting at the seahawks 39 yard line.

So as you pointed out that they once lead 3-0, if it wasn't for the seahawks own undoing, it should have actually been 7-0 Seahawks at that point, a 10 pt swing. The Skins had nothing to do with either of those seahawks turnovers. It turns out that even though the spread was 9.5 they were way off, it should have actually been 20. The skins were lucky to stay within 10, had it not been for untimely turnovers of their own doing and injuries. Bottom line they were out classed, even though they had a classy QB like Brunell. And an armpit like Taylor. If you can't beat a team that turns the ball over 3 times, you have no claims to beating them in the first place.

I agree that the Seahawks were the better team. I still maintain that if Rogers took that possible INT for a score that the Skins would've won. But yes, once again, I agree: The Seahawks were the better team.

The thing I like about the Redskins for the future is that Gibbs seems to be building a very physical team. I can see at some point, maybe even next season, gets them to the point they are just bullying everyone around on the field. Gibbs is instilling that champion attitude. Its coming.
:thumbup: Gibbs is a god in D.C. The man can seriously do no wrong it seems like.

Bottom line they were out classed, even though they had a classy QB like Brunell. And an armpit like Taylor. If you can't beat a team that turns the ball over 3 times, you have no claims to beating them in the first place.
It feels good getting this out after 6 weeks doesn't it, congrats.
:lmao: :lmao: Us Skins fans have :own3d: so many people in this thread its not even funny.

Heading into the offseason on a positive note: 

http://sports.iwon.com/news/01162006/v9689.html

Gibbs feels he has 'core group' in place; Ramsey, Arrington still up in the air
This is the key to future success: How many players actually want to leave? Not many. I don't even think Lavar wants to leave. And, how many players will want to come to DC for something more than just a big contract? For years, the Skins have attracted guys only looking for their payday. Hopefully that will change and they can attract quality players looking for a quality team.
:goodposting:

Gibbs' Aug. 4 interview, from Redskins.com included several questions and answers over the course of a minute or so regarding Todd Collins. Most of it was fluff talking about Collins skills and leadership, but it was ended by this exchange:

Reporter: Is it still an open, I guess, competition for who's #2 and who's #3?

Gibbs: Yeah, I think he and Jason (Campbell) will compete for the whole preseason.

This is interesting for two reasons. First (and not surprisingly perhaps) there's no question that Brunell's the starter. Second, it's not guaranteed that Campbell will enter the season as the primary backup. In fact, if I had to guess right now, I'd say that this situation may closely resemble the situation with Philly last year, with Mike McMahon and Koy Detmer backing up McNabb; McMahon was almost never on the active roster, meaning that if McNabb went down during a game, Detmer would replace him in that game (the logic being that Detmer was also the holder in the place-kicking game and needed to be active anyway), however if McNabb was unable to start a game, McMahon would be the starter.

I see Campbell as being the corrollary to McMahon, while Collins is the match to Detmer here. I don't know whether that will be true to start the season given that Campbell is still raw and developing as a player, but it's my bet as to how the season will play out overall. Watch the preseason to see the status of Campbell's development to get more insight here.

Obviously this is important handcuff analysis given Brunell's injury risk.

Good posting redman.

However even if we see Collins named the #2 on depth charts, Campbell is the guy to get if you're wanting the handcuff for Brunell.

Collins just ain't that good.

Maybe Gibbs puts him in for one game if Brunell goes bye bye.

After that, it'll be Campbell.

:2cents:

Good posting redman.

However even if we see Collins named the #2 on depth charts, Campbell is the guy to get if you're wanting the handcuff for Brunell.

Collins just ain't that good.

Maybe Gibbs puts him in for one game if Brunell goes bye bye.

After that, it'll be Campbell.

:2cents:
Agreed. Camp watchers have almost universally pointed out that Collins simply never throws deep balls, even as they praise him for his obvious mastery of Saunders' offense and his quick release and accuracy on short and intermediate range throws. That's a good recipe for a QB in a relief type situation to come in and win a game against a defense that has game planned for another QB, but it's also the kind of QB who won't fare well against a defense that prepared for him all week. Campbell is definitely the guy to have (I had McMahon last year on my dynasty roster to back up McNabb) given that it's basically impossible to predict a relief appearance by a QB such that you'd start him over someone else on your fantasy team. Campbell's the long term heir to that job as things now stand anyway.

Jets | Team interested in BettsFri, 11 Aug 2006 06:31:22 -0700Rich Cimini, of the New York Daily News, reports the New York Jets reportedly have some interest in Washington Redskins RB Ladell Betts.
I haven't heard whether the Skins have any interest in this. But, with Lumsden impressing in camp, it's something to keep an eye on.

Users who are viewing this thread