What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Hail to the Redskins! (1 Viewer)

jwvdcw

Footballguy
I continually see people disrespecting this team. Nobody seems to think they are for real. Yet look at what they've done:They've gone on the road and beaten a Cowboys team that is 2-0(with both of those victories coming on the road) in their other game.They've beaten a Chicago team that is 1-1 in their other games with one great game(killing Detroit) and one poor game against a tough opponent.People are underrating just how good this Redskins D is. Last year, I said multiple times that the Skins D was far and away the best in the league. The only reason that they weren't at the top of the league statistically was because the offense last year was incredibly mistake-prone and they left the D in terrible shape all the time. However, from watching them, I could tell that they were amazing. If I had to compare this team to another, it would be the 2000 Ravens. Most people will say that the Skins D isn't as good, and I agree with that, but I think its a lot closer than many think. They've given up 20 points so far, which means they are on pace to give up 160 for the year, which btw would beat the Skins record for best defense of all time. And I actually give the Redskins the advantage in offense. Don't forget just how bad that 2000 Ravens offense was to start the year. They went 5 straight games without an offensive TD!!! But then they switched their QB(just like the Skins) and played conservative and took a few shots downfield each game(just like the Skins). I think that Brunell is just like Dilfer except he has better mobility. Portis is every bit as good as Lewis. And their receiving corps are about even.The Redskins will be in every game this year because they have a great(not good, but great) defense.Their offense and special teams will produce a few big plays here and there which will be sufficient. Otherwise, they will minimize their mistakes on offense.The Skins are 2.5 point favorites this week. That means that they are likely to go 3-0. What will everyone say then? Will it still be a fluke then?I predict that the Skins finish 10-6 and enter the playoffs as a wild card(just like the Ravens did). Then if they get hot at the right time, they could make a similar run.

Last edited by a moderator:
Easy Homer!I don't know what games you've been watching but the skins are struggling to move the ball with any consistency at all. They beat Dallas on a couple of big plays that could have easily gone the other way. Portis is not the back in WAS as he was in DEN and the passing game is far too inconsistent. The D will win some games for them and keep them in a few until the 4th Q but they will lose as many of the close ones as they win. This is still a .500 team at best. It will take another few years and a few major personnel moves before they are a playoff team.

From one Redskin fan to another, you have to admit that the Skins, especially their management, has given people good cause over past years to bash them. Some people are just in that habit and aren't going to break it until they see more than 2 wins.

But they were a few touchdowns away from the playoffs last year (losing 7 games by 7 points or less), their defense gained respect, and it hasn't dropped off at all this year. And they don't even need Lavar Arrington.

Keeping games close like last year, with a handful more TD's and/or FG's may get them additional wins this year. And 9-7 may make the playoffs.

I'm sticking with my 8-8 prediction for them now. But I'm slightly optimistic. Last year they would have lost the 2 games they won this year.

Last Year's Record

Here's the remaining schedule for the Skins . . .10/2 Seattle 1:00 pm 10/9 at Denver 4:15 pm 10/16 at Kansas City 1:00 pm 10/23 San Francisco 1:00 pm 10/30 at NY Giants 1:00 pm 11/6 Philadelphia 8:30 pm 11/13 at Tampa Bay 1:00 pm 11/20 Oakland 1:00 pm 11/27 San Diego 1:00 pm 12/4 at St. Louis 4:05 pm 12/11 at Arizona 4:05 pm 12/18 Dallas 1:00 pm 12/24 NY Giants 1:00 pm 1/1 at Philadelphia 4:15 pm I see wins against NYG, SF, ARI on the horizon--the rest are no gimmies by any stretch. They could be 6-10 easier than they could be 10-6.

Easy Homer!

I don't know what games you've been watching but the skins are struggling to move the ball with any consistency at all. They beat Dallas on a couple of big plays that could have easily gone the other way. Portis is not the back in WAS as he was in DEN and the passing game is far too inconsistent. The D will win some games for them and keep them in a few until the 4th Q but they will lose as many of the close ones as they win. This is still a .500 team at best. It will take another few years and a few major personnel moves before they are a playoff team.
Which is why I compared them to the 2000 Ravens who went 5 straight games without scoring a TD.

Little early in the week for hitting the sauce, don't you think? :banned: :banned:
lolyea, those wins against the powerhouse Bears and Cowboys just blew me away.

:excited:

you will be wearing this :bag: in a couple more weeks.

:popcorn:

Little early in the week for hitting the sauce, don't you think? :banned:   :banned:

What about the Cowboys who have 2 road wins, a QB playing at a top 5 level, a great coach, a top 10 defense, and an above average WRs corps is not impressive to you?

Every message board has these Washington homers through the first few weeks of the season then they start losing and for some strage reason the posters disappear. :shrug:

I continually see people disrespecting this team. Nobody seems to think they are for real. Yet look at what they've done:

They've gone on the road and beaten a Cowboys team that is 2-0(with both of those victories coming on the road) in their other game.

They've beaten a Chicago team that is 1-1 in their other games with one great game(killing Detroit) and one poor game against a tough opponent.

People are underrating just how good this Redskins D is. Last year, I said multiple times that the Skins D was far and away the best in the league. The only reason that they weren't at the top of the league statistically was because the offense last year was incredibly mistake-prone and they left the D in terrible shape all the time. However, from watching them, I could tell that they were amazing.

If I had to compare this team to another, it would be the 2000 Ravens. Most people will say that the Skins D isn't as good, and I agree with that, but I think its a lot closer than many think. They've given up 20 points so far, which means they are on pace to give up 160 for the year, which btw would beat the Skins record for best defense of all time.

And I actually give the Redskins the advantage in offense. Don't forget just how bad that 2000 Ravens offense was to start the year. They went 5 straight games without an offensive TD!!! But then they switched their QB(just like the Skins) and played conservative and took a few shots downfield each game(just like the Skins). I think that Brunell is just like Dilfer except he has better mobility. Portis is every bit as good as Lewis. And their receiving corps are about even.

The Redskins will be in every game this year because they have a great(not good, but great) defense.Their offense and special teams will produce a few big plays here and there which will be sufficient. Otherwise, they will minimize their mistakes on offense.

The Skins are 2.5 point favorites this week. That means that they are likely to go 3-0. What will everyone say then? Will it still be a fluke then?

I predict that the Skins finish 10-6 and enter the playoffs as a wild card(just like the Ravens did). Then if they get hot at the right time, they could make a similar run.
You will disappear by week 8.

I continually see people disrespecting this team. Nobody seems to think they are for real. Yet look at what they've done:

They've gone on the road and beaten a Cowboys team that is 2-0(with both of those victories coming on the road) in their other game.

They've beaten a Chicago team that is 1-1 in their other games with one great game(killing Detroit) and one poor game against a tough opponent.

People are underrating just how good this Redskins D is. Last year, I said multiple times that the Skins D was far and away the best in the league. The only reason that they weren't at the top of the league statistically was because the offense last year was incredibly mistake-prone and they left the D in terrible shape all the time. However, from watching them, I could tell that they were amazing.

If I had to compare this team to another, it would be the 2000 Ravens. Most people will say that the Skins D isn't as good, and I agree with that, but I think its a lot closer than many think. They've given up 20 points so far, which means they are on pace to give up 160 for the year, which btw would beat the Skins record for best defense of all time.

And I actually give the Redskins the advantage in offense. Don't forget just how bad that 2000 Ravens offense was to start the year. They went 5 straight games without an offensive TD!!! But then they switched their QB(just like the Skins) and played conservative and took a few shots downfield each game(just like the Skins). I think that Brunell is just like Dilfer except he has better mobility. Portis is every bit as good as Lewis. And their receiving corps are about even.

The Redskins will be in every game this year because they have a great(not good, but great) defense.Their offense and special teams will produce a few big plays here and there which will be sufficient. Otherwise, they will minimize their mistakes on offense.

The Skins are 2.5 point favorites this week. That means that they are likely to go 3-0. What will everyone say then? Will it still be a fluke then?

I predict that the Skins finish 10-6 and enter the playoffs as a wild card(just like the Ravens did). Then if they get hot at the right time, they could make a similar run.
You will disappear by week 8.
I challenged you to a sig bet in the other thread. You claimed that the absolute max number of games the Skins win from here on out is 4. I challenged you to a sig bet: If they win 4, we push. Less, you win. More, I win. Do you accept?

jwvdcw, I like most of your posts but let me tell you that you, and every other Skins fan will be brought down back to earth this weekend.Seattle will beat them by at least 10 points, and Jackson is going to go wild on that has-been ex hawk Springs.Seattle offense and defense ranked in the top ten right now. This will expose the Skins for the team that they really are.

jwvdcw, I like most of your posts but let me tell you that you, and every other Skins fan will be brought down back to earth this weekend.

Seattle will beat them by at least 10 points, and Jackson is going to go wild on that has-been ex hawk Springs.

Seattle offense and defense ranked in the top ten right now. This will expose the Skins for the team that they really are.
The Seahawks rule is this: they win at home, and lose on the road. This one is on the road. They will lose. :thumbup:

I agree they're underrated, however I'm not ready to go on the record with any predictions. If Brunell can remain a threat to at least occasionally hit some deep passes like we saw on MNF, then this offense has a whole different look to it. If not, then it's probably a repeat of last year's offensive nightmare, with only slight improvements in the running and passing game due to better line play. However, the interesting stat from 2004 is this: If you gave the 'Skins a measly 18 points per game, every game, their record would have been 12-4. That stat is why I'm optimistic, because they don't need all that large of an offensive improvement to be a competitive team.

Every message board has these Washington homers through the first few weeks of the season then they start losing and for some strage reason the posters disappear. :shrug:
I've been thinking how incredibly lucky we've been that the Skins have sucked so bad for so long because they have the most annoying homers on this or any other board I've ever read. We have had an enjoyable respite from all that the past few years. And, no, Pats fans do not even come close. :)

Every message board has these Washington homers through the first few weeks of the season then they start losing and for some strage reason the posters disappear.  :shrug:
I've been thinking how incredibly lucky we've been that the Skins have sucked so bad for so long because they have the most annoying homers on this or any other board I've ever read. We have had an enjoyable respite from all that the past few years. And, no, Pats fans do not even come close. :)
What do you expect from the wealthiest team in all of American sports???? Washington has always had no baseball team (till this year) and terrible basketball teams. It's all we got, so we go all out for em.

On another note, out of the 4 remaining undefeated teams (Bucs, Redskins, Bengals, Colts), all except for the Colts can be considered big surprises. Great parity in the NFL. :thumbup:

jwvdcw, I like most of your posts but let me tell you that you, and every other Skins fan will be brought down back to earth this weekend.

Seattle will beat them by at least 10 points, and Jackson is going to go wild on that has-been ex hawk Springs.

Seattle offense and defense ranked in the top ten right now. This will expose the Skins for the team that they really are.
The Redskins are 2.5 point favorites. You are predicting a Seattle win by "at least 10 points." You are a Seahawks fan. I admit that I can be a homer at times, but hopefully you'll see that you obviously are being one as well here. Regardless, how about a sig bet?

Seattle offense and defense ranked in the top ten right now.  This will expose the Skins for the team that they really are.
The Redskins are 2.5 point favorites. You are predicting a Seattle win by "at least 10 points." You are a Seahawks fan. I admit that I can be a homer at times, but hopefully you'll see that you obviously are being one as well here. Regardless, how about a sig bet?
Sometimes I can be a homer, but not in this situation. Seattle is top ten on both sides of the ball, Washington is coming off a bye week which is a momentum killer.Don't buy into the hype because they beat the Cowboys....Dallas lost that game, Washington didn't win it

I'll do a sig bet. It needs an update anyway.

Sometimes I can be a homer, but not in this situation. Seattle is top ten on both sides of the ball, Washington is coming off a bye week which is a momentum killer.Don't buy into the hype because they beat the Cowboys....Dallas lost that game, Washington didn't win it

Teams have much better records after bye weeks, not worse IIRC. And yes, Sea sucks on the road. Wash wins this game by 4.

The Redskins are the worst 2-0 team in NFL history. They barely eecked out a win against the lowly Bears who offense compares to a small college offense. Then after a major collapse from Dallas they pull out a win. I admit I am a bitter Cowboys fan that is hurting still 2 weeks later after that loss but it is comical to think that your team is playoff bound. I am putting this out there as a sig bet. Dallas will win more games than the Redskins whats up do you accept jwvdcw?For your sig"Dallas Cowboys are Americas team and the greatest team in the history of the NFL" You have to wear that sig until next season

Seattle offense and defense ranked in the top ten right now.  This will expose the Skins for the team that they really are.

Bye weeks are momentum killers? How about entire offseasons? The 'Skins were shutting down opposing RB's last year, and they're shutting them down again. Sorry but your team may not score 10 points, much less win by that much. :bye:

AND it's on the road. Seattle's like the kid who gets invited over to other kids' houses and always wets his pants.

The Redskins are the worst 2-0 team in NFL history. They barely eecked out a win against the lowly Bears who offense compares to a small college offense. Then after a major collapse from Dallas they pull out a win. I admit I am a bitter Cowboys fan that is hurting still 2 weeks later after that loss but it is comical to think that your team is playoff bound. I am putting this out there as a sig bet. Dallas will win more games than the Redskins

whats up do you accept jwvdcw?

For your sig

"Dallas Cowboys are Americas team and the greatest team in the history of the NFL"

You have to wear that sig until next season
The Cowboys play an easier schedule this season. The Redskins play at Denver and at KC, the two toughest places to play in the AFC West. The Cowboys play at Oakland and at SD (which they already won), much easier games for the road team.The Redskins play Chicago and at Tampa Bay, while the Boys play at detroit and vs. Carolina. I think these two are about even.

I do think that difference in home/away in the AFC West is significant. Denver and Kansas City are very good home teams and not so good away teams. Oakland isn't very good anywhere, and San Diego's home games aren't as stifling.

Plus, preseason I thought the Cowboys were better, and I still do. So, I wouldn't take that bet.

But this isn't about the Cowboys, its about the Redskins. Wouldn't be impossible for the NFC East to send 3 teams to the playoffs.

Anything can happen. :thumbup:

The Redskins are the worst 2-0 team in NFL history.  They barely eecked out a win against the lowly Bears who offense compares to a small college offense.  Then after a major collapse from Dallas they pull out a win.  I admit I am a bitter Cowboys fan that is hurting still 2 weeks later after that loss but it is comical to think that your team is playoff bound. I am putting this out there as a sig bet.  Dallas will win more games than the Redskins

For your sig

"Dallas Cowboys are Americas team and the greatest team in the history of the NFL" 

The Cowboys play an easier schedule this season. The Redskins play at Denver and at KC, the two toughest places to play in the AFC West. The Cowboys play at Oakland and at SD (which they already won), much easier games for the road team.The Redskins play Chicago and at Tampa Bay, while the Boys play at detroit and vs. Carolina. I think these two are about even.

I do think that difference in home/away in the AFC West is significant. Denver and Kansas City are very good home teams and not so good away teams. Oakland isn't very good anywhere, and San Diego's home games aren't as stifling.

Plus, preseason I thought the Cowboys were better, and I still do. So, I wouldn't take that bet.

But this isn't about the Cowboys, its about the Redskins. Wouldn't be impossible for the NFC East to send 3 teams to the playoffs.

Anything can happen. :thumbup:
That was some of the most intelligent insight i have ever heard from a Redskin fan :thumbup:

That was some of the most intelligent insight i have ever heard from a Redskin fan

:thumbup:
We all got together before the season and figured that if we posted enough times, someone would come up with something good. Oh, and that comment of yours I'm sure will end up as one of our sigs! :thumbup:

Bye weeks are momentum killers? How about entire offseasons? The 'Skins were shutting down opposing RB's last year, and they're shutting them down again. Sorry but your team may not score 10 points, much less win by that much. :bye:

AND it's on the road. Seattle's like the kid who gets invited over to other kids' houses and always wets his pants.
That is funny. True, but funny.

title reads as follows:Hail to the first place Redskins:This team is majorly OVER RATED!All fixed.

Little early in the week for hitting the sauce, don't you think? :banned:   :banned:

What about the Cowboys who have 2 road wins, a QB playing at a top 5 level, a great coach, a top 10 defense, and an above average WRs corps is not impressive to you?
2 road wins ? YES !1 - barely beat SD without Gates

2 - had to have a major comeback to beat SF (probably the worst team in the league)

Bledsoe is playing pretty good, but Vinny put up bigger numbers last year in this offense.

A Great Coach.

I'll give you that one.

a top 10 defense ?

well, if you throw out all those BOMBS they have given up, then they have looked pretty good. but hey, those 2 bombs from rag-armed Brunell cost them the game.

where do you see an above average WR corps ?

Keyshawn would be a decent #2 WR on most other teams.

Glenn would be a good #3 slot WR on any other team.

hell, if they both were traded to the Colts, then one would be inactive on game day.

That is to funny, I lmao. I guess you boys can get in on the sig bet if jwvdcw will quit ducking me. :hey:

I'm a Redskins fan, but I can't share quite the enthusiasm. I've seen quick starts from this team before, only to see them cave. On a bright note, Gibbs coached teams usually finish strong. Until the offense shows more of a pulse besides two bombs in desperation mode, the non-believers will have plenty of ammo. No one can doubt the D though, they're legit.

That is to funny, I lmao. I guess you boys can get in on the sig bet if jwvdcw will quit ducking me. :hey:
I'm just curious why as a Seahawk fan, you are so confident in this game? I'm not saying the Skins are winning this game for sure, but the Seahawks have a well known problem with road games. Plus, there's one team that the ol'ball coach had no problems with in his short NFL career, the Seahawks. Spurrier was 2-0 vs them. The past might have little to do with the present, but I don't see much that makes the Seahawks a lock to win this game. The NFL has shown that anything can happen, the Seahawks have shown they struggle on the road, the Redskins have had far worst teams then this beat recent year Seahawk teams. I see it as a coin-flip game at best and the Skins having a slight edge being at home.

:eek: Wow, this tread is something. I've been ripped a couple times this week because I think Portis is a GREAT buy low right now.FACT: The Skins DO have a top 3 D this year if not higher.FACT: The O-line is finally healthyFACT: The ONLY weak link on the team that stands out is Brunell, and let's face it, there have been PLENTY of teams throughout the years that have won with bad QB's so long as the other components are in place, which they are.I won't go out on any limbs and predict a record or anything, although I'd give the skins as good a chance as anyone to get the Wild Card berth.The offense should be better than last year, if only slightly, which would make a HUGE difference in the W/L column thanks in large part to the good, and improving D. If the Skins can muster 3-5 more points/game I think that's a bigger stat than most can fathom. They weren't blown out last year and if the D can give up 3-5 points less/game it's a 6-10 point swing. That isn't mind boggling, but as JWVDCW stated, the Ravens won a super bowl as such.Lastly, since the 'Hawks homers chimed in here, I must retort. The Seahawks are the most OVER RATED team in football EVERY year. Last year they were the popular pick in the NFC to make the super bowl. How'd that work out for ya?

skins fan here, but i still dont see them putting up over 20 points a game, and we know those real powerhouses like NEP and PIT will score 25 if not 35-40 a game.

skins fan here, but i still dont see them putting up over 20 points a game, and we know those real powerhouses like NEP and PIT will score 25 if not 35-40 a game.
It has already been pointed out that the Redskins don't need 20 ppg to win. 18 points in each game would have given them 11 wins last year (1 tie). Last year Pitt could only put up 16 points. You think they may double that this year?

I'll repeat those 3 facts:1.One team is a 2.5 points favorite

2.You are a fan of the other team

3. You are predicting "at least" a 10 point win for the other team.

Obvious homerism(but I do the same thing, so I don't mind).

Ok, we have a sig bet! Straight up- whichever team wins. You have to keep the sig for 3 weeks? Does that sound good to you?

Don't buy into the hype because they beat the Cowboys....Dallas lost that game, Washington didn't win it
Parcells coached teams don't usually give games away. S Moss was double teamed on both TDs. I could understand if it were simply blown coverage, but it wasn't- they had 2 men right there and MOss simply beat them both. How does that equate to giving the game away?

The D is definitley of championship calibur. But I'm not going to jump to any conclusions about the offense because Brunell made two good passes against a prevent defense. For 3 quarters and the majority of the 4th, he stunk on ice. The team didn't adequately move downfield and they were playing from behind. Maybe they'll take more stabs downfield through out the game, but if the offense plays the same way they did the first 3 quarters (6 quarters if you count the Bears game), then I'm not going to get my hopes up.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Redskins are the worst 2-0 team in NFL history. They barely eecked out a win against the lowly Bears who offense compares to a small college offense. Then after a major collapse from Dallas they pull out a win. I admit I am a bitter Cowboys fan that is hurting still 2 weeks later after that loss but it is comical to think that your team is playoff bound. I am putting this out there as a sig bet. Dallas will win more games than the Redskins

For your sig

Again, I'll ask, how did thie Cowboys give it away? The Skins took it! And don't forget that lowly bears offense scored nearly 40 points the next week.Yeah, I'm up for that sig bet...since this is an entire season long one, how long should we keep it up for? The entire offseason?

The D is definitley of championship calibur. But I'm not going to jump to any conclusions about the offense because Brunell made two good passes against a prevent defense. For 3 quarters and the majority of the 4th, he stunk on ice. The team didn't adequately move downfield and they were playing from behind.

Maybe they'll take more stabs downfield through out the game, but if the offense plays the same way they did the first 3 quarters (6 quarters if you count the Bears game), then I'm not going to get my hopes up.
FYI, prevent defenses make it harder to complete deep passes, not easier....solid overall post though.

Seahawk homer, look at how Hsselbeck performs on the road. Hasselbeck throws 3x's as many iINT's on the road vs hoome. You can't do that if you want to win on the road. Washington is a hostile enviroment and they have a great D. I think Seattle will be exposed instead.Washington wins this one.

Seahawk homer, look at how Hsselbeck performs on the road. Hasselbeck throws 3x's as many iINT's on the road vs hoome. You can't do that if you want to win on the road. Washington is a hostile enviroment and they have a great D. I think Seattle will be exposed instead.Washington wins this one.
Interesting stat. [Carson]

"I did not know that!"

[/Carson]

Users who are viewing this thread