What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Hakeem Nicks (Dynasty Value) (1 Viewer)

starks

Footballguy
Somebody please explain something to me.

Looking at DLF and Fantasypros dynasty rankings, you would think Hakeem Nicks is ready to blow up for years to come.

DLF - These guys do an okay job of updating their rankings, right now he is ranked the #13 WR on the board. They have him ahead of guys like Jordy Nelson (14), Blackmon...i know i know but still (16), Pierre Garcon (17) and Antonio Brown (21)

Fantasypros - There are only 3 experts that have updated their rankings since the beginning of the season, so it is a small sample size but Nicks still retains an average of the 10th ranked fantasy receiver in dynasty. He is ahead of all the guys mentioned above AND still ranked above Percy Harvin (11) and Josh Gordon (16). Blasphemy!

I think we can all agree that he is pretty much good as gone and will sign with another team with a contract that suggests #1 receiver. But what am I missing here with his bunk knees and case of the dropsies?

*Not sure where footballguys has him ranked in dyno as I don't have a subscription, I am a newbie here and it's by far the best site in fantasy and will undoubtably sign up for a premium account after the Super Bowl to prepare for next year. But how does FBG see him in dyno?

As a dynasty owner I used to bd high on him, but not so much anymore. I rarely start him. He's lost his edge. Maybe he can get it back. If you feel that way then I'd buy. Personally, I'd sell him if I had a good offer come my way.

FBG has him as a strong WR2. Overranked. In my leagues, the same trend has existed. At first, he was a regular starter, then his owners have benched him and moved on to smaller named WRs that are actually producing. I'm certain this isn't uncommon. I think people are getting sick of him.

FBG has him as a strong WR2. Overranked. In my leagues, the same trend has existed. At first, he was a regular starter, then his owners have benched him and moved on to smaller named WRs that are actually producing. I'm certain this isn't uncommon. I think people are getting sick of him.
Agree and looking at FBGs ranking, there are many ranked well below Nicks that I'd gladly take over him. I have in one league this year and he's currently on my bench behind Harry Douglas, Marlon Brown and DeSean Jackson. He's had 1 big year in the NFL and that was 3 seasons ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
My thoughts exactly. But how does it account for the top experts in the dynasty industry ranking him that high? I know it's subjective, I just want to know what I am missing here...

*Not sure where footballguys has him ranked in dyno as I don't have a subscription, I am a newbie here and it's by far the best site in fantasy and will undoubtably sign up for a premium account after the Super Bowl to prepare for next year. But how does FBG see him in dyno?
I'm not sure if I'm missing it, but it looks like FBG doesn't even do keeper/dynasty rankings which I am shocked by. Maybe someone can verify this or correct me if I'm wrong? If I'm correct, I sincerely hope FBG starts doing this as I don't think they do right now and that really surprises me.

I'm not sure if I'm missing it, but it looks like FBG doesn't even do keeper/dynasty rankings which I am shocked by. Maybe someone can verify this or correct me if I'm wrong? If I'm wrong, I sincerely hope FBG starts doing this as I don't think they do right now and that really surprises me.
Yes FBGs does dynasty rankings. In the paid content, Forecast>Rankings>Dynasty.

There is so much talent at WR in the NFL right now, and so much of it is ridiculously young and transcendentally talented. So rankings-wise, it's hard to justify being high on Nicks right now.

I almost sent an offer of Marlon Brown + mid 2014 2nd for Nicks. Re-thought it and sent it for Vereen instead. Rejected, like it probably should have been. I still haven't gone back and made an offer for Nicks.

I have been shopping around NIcks in my dynasty league all season (at lower prices than his rankings indicate), but it appears no one is interested. I have yet to receive an offer for him.

I'm not sure if I'm missing it, but it looks like FBG doesn't even do keeper/dynasty rankings which I am shocked by. Maybe someone can verify this or correct me if I'm wrong? If I'm wrong, I sincerely hope FBG starts doing this as I don't think they do right now and that really surprises me.
Many thanks here. Figured there was a strong chance I was wrong. Well done to FBG's. Would love for them to expand to keeper leagues as well, but beggars can't be choosers.

I firmly believe Nicks will be a top WR again once he finds his new team next season. He simply doesn't give a #### right now...
So in a contract year he doesn't care, but after he gets paid he will. Not sure about that.
Pretty much, yeah. Says a lot about his character, for sure. But the skills are still there. Why bust his ### and risk injury for a team that took him out of the gameplan this season (well before he started dropping balls) when the writing is on the wall that he's not part of their long-term plans? He checked out awhile ago, now he's just going through the motions.

Someone's going to throw the bank at him despite it, and they'll be getting a very talented player at a discount.

I firmly believe Nicks will be a top WR again once he finds his new team next season. He simply doesn't give a #### right now...
So in a contract year he doesn't care, but after he gets paid he will. Not sure about that.
Pretty much, yeah. Says a lot about his character, for sure. But the skills are still there. Why bust his ### and risk injury for a team that took him out of the gameplan this season (well before he started dropping balls) when the writing is on the wall that he's not part of their long-term plans? He checked out awhile ago, now he's just going through the motions.

Someone's going to throw the bank at him despite it, and they'll be getting a very talented player at a discount.
Team is cooked for the year and Nicks, who has a history of injuries needs to stay healthy to get a FA deal? I am buying this line of thought because, honestly, if you are a team looking to sign a WR, you know Nicks can play. The question is always "can he stay healthy" so he has more to prove in the area of staying healthy to possible suitors than he does in going out every week and catching 7 balls.

When you look at what will be the WR FA market, compare him to someone. Take Maclin, for instance. Everyone knows he can play too but he, because of his injury, will have to sign for a short-term "prove it deal because of the injury. SO, Maclin will likely sign a 1-2 year deal and Nicks, if he stays healthy, will sign a 4-5 year deal. Its just the way it is because you better believe it, if Nicks gets hurt this season, he is going to be one a 1 year deal next year.

You have HOS. Hopeful Owner Syndrome. It's harmless unless it is left unchecked. Chronic symptoms include wasted roster spots and even losing fantasy records.

He just got traded for a 2014 1st, which will likely be mid -> late.

The guy who traded for Nicks had three 1sts already and is 2 - 7 on the season. Nicks also has a 4 year contract on him. We roster 40 players with 100 contract years max.

• He's a firm hold, I have him in one league, and would love a mid first for him. No one's offering.
he can't get separation anymore, and now all of a sudden he can't catch. In fact, he looked lost a few weeks ago.

You don't need a great attitude to just play, and catch passes. Randy Moss had the worst attitude in the world, but still caught passes thrown his way unless he was going across the middle and getting decleated. Maybe his attitude is in the toilet, but you can still catch the dam ball.

Only hope I have is that when he signs with a new team, the optimism creeps back up......then I am selling.

Dude can't run....and watch him when guys get anywhere near his legs. He jumps away like they have the plague.

MoveToSkypager said:
FavreAndAwayAnIdiot said:
You have HOS. Hopeful Owner Syndrome. It's harmless unless it is left unchecked. Chronic symptoms include wasted roster spots and even losing fantasy records.
We'll see, I guess... But yeah, I'm holding.

Got tired of his low numbers in my keeper league. Cut bait on him two weeks ago to pick up Marvin Jones. Plugged Jones into my lineup that week for 4 TDs against the Jets. I'd rather not waste a roster spot on Nicks when I can use it on an up and coming young WR who has potential.

blake said:
Many thanks here. Figured there was a strong chance I was wrong. Well done to FBG's. Would love for them to expand to keeper leagues as well, but beggars can't be choosers.
It's hard to do keeper rankings, because keeper formats vary so much. Keep 3, keep 7, 3-year max limit, contracts with escalating salaries, keepers cost escalating draft picks, etc, etc. For most keeper leagues, you'll do pretty good by using a cross between the redraft and dynasty rankings. In deeper keeper leagues (say, keep 7+), put the emphasis on the dynasty rankings. In shallower keeper leagues (say, keep 3 or fewer), put the emphasis on the redraft rankings.

I traded Nicks for Dobson, 2014 1&2 a few weeks ago in a 12 man ppr dynasty. I can say he's been frustrating to own.

It's hard to do keeper rankings, because keeper formats vary so much. Keep 3, keep 7, 3-year max limit, contracts with escalating salaries, keepers cost escalating draft picks, etc, etc. For most keeper leagues, you'll do pretty good by using a cross between the redraft and dynasty rankings. In deeper keeper leagues (say, keep 7+), put the emphasis on the dynasty rankings. In shallower keeper leagues (say, keep 3 or fewer), put the emphasis on the redraft rankings.
Tremendous answer, Adam. Thanks for taking the time to reply. Your answer makes a lot of sense.

I've been of the opinion for a while that Nicks is one of the most overrated players in dynasty. I get that he's a very talented receiver, but between injuries, inconsistency and underperformance, he has basically been a fantasy bust compared to how he's been rated for the past 2 or 3 years. He's really only had one good season.

I don't see him as anything more than a replacement level WR3 with the potential to put up WR1 numbers in a given week if things break right for him. That's a similar profile to a bunch of other young WRs. I owned him the two years before this one in a keeper league and vowed to never have him on a roster again. He's a headache 95% of the time and he's almost impossible to move in a trade as well because no one seems ot want him (for good reason IMO).

I personally think he is following the same attitude that DJax did. They both have injury concerns, were playing for a bad team, & played not to get hurt before FA. Jackson also had 1 really good year & got paid.

No reason to think Nicks won't, & my guess is that he goes home, plays for the Panthers, and is successful

Zero. Looks like the Titans figured out what most of the rest of the league already knew.

Users who are viewing this thread