What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Halfway point of season, time for 1st look at 2014 NFL draft (1 Viewer)

Some interesting comments by ESPN draft analyst Todd McShay yesterday commenting on the talent/depth of the quarterbacks in the upcoming draft class.

Go to a lil-past the 1:00 mark of this audio to hear the following by McShay. I posted the transcript below the link.

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/media-center/audio/Cleveland-Browns-Daily---71/f500ca50-aa2e-44e1-a5e8-d73805e42f11#/media-center/audio/Cleveland_Browns_Daily_1029_Part_6/095c3975-cb2c-459f-b545-15388089b629

ESPN draft analyst Todd McShay

“My point is that their isn’t a player in this draft who is going to get a grade that is close to the one that Andrew Luck got. And, maybe if Mariatta continues to progress, maybe he gets a grade that is around RG III.

Teddy Bridgewater probably, when its all said and done, depending on where you graded him but probably for me would be in the same grade range that I gave Ryan Tannenhill.

So, I think its important not to confuse depth with quality.”

Interesting.

I think the Bengals would look at Hurst OT as the eventual replacement for Whit. Great pass blocker from what I've seen.

Clowney, Manziel would at least make the Buccs a front page story everywhere.
I doubt they pick Manziel after the Josh Freeman headcase debacle. I dont think the owners or GM would want to sign up for Round 2.

I think Glennon will be a better pro then Manziel anyway, and thats not saying too much. I dont think either are franchise qb's

I have a hard time believing that even the Jags could blow the first pick and not take Clowney. Clowney is special. You can't pass on a guy like that.
Bridgewater looks like the real deal, they need someone to throw the ball...Also, Blackmon is an unquestioned WR1 with Teddy at QB
I have only seen snippets of Bridgewater in the past 2 seasons so I truly do not know just how good he is. Is this a situation where Bridgewater is a clear cut top qb prospect like Newton, Luck, RG3 etc? Or is this a situation where he is just the best prospect this year and will probably go #1 just on general principal?From what I can tell is that he throws a nice catchable ball, looks to be accurate and stays in the pocket. Not overly big and doesnt run that much.
Amazingly there was debate between Gabbert and Newton, imagine that...

Bridgewater is a true pocket passer - He has all of the tools of an elite QB. I think it's a difficult argument to say any other QB in this class has more potential than Bridgewater.
The only team with a real chance to have the #1 pick that might not take Bridgewater is the Giants. And they'd trade the pick.

I doubt they pick Manziel after the Josh Freeman headcase debacle. I dont think the owners or GM would want to sign up for Round 2.

I think Glennon will be a better pro then Manziel anyway, and thats not saying too much. I dont think either are franchise qb's
Agreed. Manziel should go in the high 2nd, or maybe end of the 1st even (KC?) but he's a true risk/reward pick.

ETA: Cheese's point is legit though. The Bucs would get attention. Not to say Manziel would be a good pick for the team. Depends on who the coach is somewhat.

Last edited by a moderator:

Agreed. Manziel should go in the high 2nd, or maybe end of the 1st even (KC?) but he's a true risk/reward pick.
Yep he is an undersized qb, with a mediocre arm. Not too mention his maturity level. Those are not promising factors for a productive NFL starter

I love mock drafts.

What I don't love is people saying "There's no way team 'X' will draft player 'Y'" because invariably after the draft most of those same people say things like "I can't BELIEVE team 'X' drafted player 'Y'!"

At this time of year (actually ANY time of year), IMO, mock drafts are for a) discussing what teams need and b) how talented certain players are.

Expecting mock drafts to be accurate is ludicrous. If people had such powers of prediction they'd apply it to gambling or the stock market.

Yep he is an undersized qb, with a mediocre arm. Not too mention his maturity level. Those are not promising factors for a productive NFL starter
Yeah, but a big plus for Manziel - When s*#t hit the fan outside of football his play didn't suffer. It seems he performs on the field no matter what. I can't see a team not taking a chance on him in the first. He's one of those guys who could be better than many think he "should" be in the NFL.

Or he could flop.

Manziel seems like just the kind of guy that a "flat" organization would need to inject some life and character. I'm thinking teams like Houston, Cleveland, or Arizona.

I think "immature" will simply morph into being "brash" and it won't be a big deal after a couple years.

Since we're on the subject, I'll just put my rough draft up here. Never mind the order, I just copy/pasted in reverse order from the standings on NFL.com.

1. Jacksonville Jaguars - Teddy Bridgewater - QB - Louisville
2. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Marcus Mariota - QB - Oregon
3. Minnesota Vikings - Jadeveon Clowney - DE - South Carolina
4. New York Giants - Jake Matthews - OT - Texas A&M
5. St. Louis (from Washington Redskins) - Sammy Watkins - WR - Clemson
6. Pittsburgh Steelers - Taylor Lewan - OT - Michigan
7. Houston Texans - Anthony Barr - OLB - UCLA
8. Atlanta Falcons - Cyrus Kouandjio - OT - Alabama
9. Philadelphia Eagles - Bradley Roby - CB - Ohio State
10. Cleveland Browns - Derek Carr - QB - Fresno State
11. Buffalo Bills - Hasean Clinton-Dix - FS - Alabama
12. Tennessee Titans - Ifo Ekpre-Olomu - CB - Oregon
13. St. Louis Rams - Louis Nix - DT - Notre Dame
14. Oakland Raiders - Cameron Erving - OT - Florida State
15. Miami Dolphins - Antonio Richardson - OT - Tennessee
16. Baltimore Ravens - Khalil Mack - OLB - Buffalo
17. New York Jets - Mike Evans - WR - Texas A&M
18. Dallas Cowboys - Stephon Tuitt - DE - Notre Dame
19. Arizona Cardinals - Johnny Manziel - QB - Texas A&M
20. San Diego Chargers - Cyril Richardson - OG - Baylor
21. Chicago Bears - RaShede Hageman - DT - Minnesota
22. Carolina Panthers - Marqise Lee - WR - Southern California
23. Detroit Lions - Louchiez Purifoy - CB - Florida
24. Cleveland Browns (from Indianapolis Colts) - Jordan Matthews - WR - Vanderbilt
25. Green Bay Packers - Eric Ebron - TE - North Carolina
26. San Francisco 49ers - Allen Robinson - WR - Penn State
27. New England Patriots - Austin Seferian-Jenkins - TE - Washington
28. Cincinnati Bengals - Ryan Shazier - OLB - Ohio State
29. Seattle Seahawks - Jace Amaro - TE - Texas Tech
30. New Orleans Saints - Kyle Van Noy - OLB - Brigham Young
31. Denver Broncos - Vic Beasley - DE - Clemson
32. Kansas City Chiefs - Jason Verrett - CB - TCU

No way Baalke drafts a WR in the 1st round at their projected position. It'll be either CB or defensive line. Unless they can somehow jump up a few spots and get Mike Evans if he falls into the 20s.
Why wouldn't he? Because of Jenkins? Who he drafted in the 1st round?

ebsteelers said:
love the ha ha clinton dix pick for the steelers

hate the lewan pick, not cause of him more so because they would have to use another top pick on an o linemen

would love to see something like

round 1: Mike Evans wr the big wr ben wants

round 2: ha-ha clinton-dix
Agreed, I dont think there's a chance the Steelers go OL in the 1st -- I think they go offense playmaker (WR) or Defensive playmaker (CB/S/NT) in the 1st; team happy with Beachum at LT.

ebsteelers said:

hate the lewan pick, not cause of him more so because they would have to use another top pick on an o linemen

Agreed, I dont think there's a chance the Steelers go OL in the 1st -- I think they go offense playmaker (WR) or Defensive playmaker (CB/S/NT) in the 1st; team happy with Beachum at LT.
That can't be right. Why'd they trade for Levi Brown if they're happy with their tackle situation. Didn't Tomlin bench someone too?

Manziel seems like just the kind of guy that a "flat" organization would need to inject some life and character. I'm thinking teams like Houston, Cleveland, or Arizona.

I think "immature" will simply morph into being "brash" and it won't be a big deal after a couple years.
Personally, I think Manziel is the type of QB Philly would look at. Someone who can run around in Kelly's offense.

ebsteelers said:

That can't be right. Why'd they trade for Levi Brown if they're happy with their tackle situation. Didn't Tomlin bench someone too?
Mike Adams was benched, they traded for Levi Brown for T depth after they moved Beachum to LT. Adams still young, has time to turn it around. The right side of the line is solid with DeCastro (having a breakout year) and Gilbert. C has Pouncey who, when healthy, is solid. Ramon Foster is a weak spot at G.

I love mock drafts.

What I don't love is people saying "There's no way team 'X' will draft player 'Y'" because invariably after the draft most of those same people say things like "I can't BELIEVE team 'X' drafted player 'Y'!"

At this time of year (actually ANY time of year), IMO, mock drafts are for a) discussing what teams need and b) how talented certain players are.

Expecting mock drafts to be accurate is ludicrous. If people had such powers of prediction they'd apply it to gambling or the stock market.
Thank you for saying what needed to be said.

Also, is there anyone who tracks mock draft accuracy the way we track fantasy projections? It would be interesting to see if anybody comes even close to 50% right on guessing what NFL teams are going to do, especially since the public has almost zero access to the behind-the-scenes workings of a given franchise.

I think the Bengals would look at Hurst OT as the eventual replacement for Whit. Great pass blocker from what I've seen.
I don't see OT as a real possibility in the first for the Bengals.

Whitworth is only 31, playing at a Pro Bowl level and won't be a FA until 2016. I think he is locked in as the starter for the next 2.5 years.

I don't think any team is so deep that they are drafting a guy in the 1st round with the plan that he is just going to sit on the bench for 2 seasons. Especially at a position like OL that doesn't rotate backups into the game.

In terms of some of the players, I think miller vastly overrates a few guys-

CJ Mosely is a good, though slightly undersized, Weakside LB with injury issues. Draft analysts ALWAYS mock these guys way too high. Last year Arthur Brown was a good example. He was consistently mocked in the mid-1st and then went around 60th in the real draft. I would bet my house that Mosely does not go ahead of Barr.

Tajh Boyd is a good college QB, but he is not a great NFL prospect. I think he is more of a mid-rounder than an early 1st. He is undersized, inaccurate, average arm strength and a product of his system. He is my pick to have a Matt Barkley type fall this year to the 4th.

Since we're on the subject, I'll just put my rough draft up here. Never mind the order, I just copy/pasted in reverse order from the standings on NFL.com.

I like Mariota, and if Tampa finishes with the #2, it's probably a fair indication that Glennon isn't their future star. but I think they win a few games and end up with the #5 or so. Minnesota might end up with him instead but that would indicate they realize Freeman was a mistake. I'll call Mariota to Cleveland.

I like Mariota, and if Tampa finishes with the #2, it's probably a fair indication that Glennon isn't their future star. but I think they win a few games and end up with the #5 or so. Minnesota might end up with him instead but that would indicate they realize Freeman was a mistake. I'll call Mariota to Cleveland.
Minnesota only has Freeman signed through the end of the year, then he's a free agent.

I don't think they'll win another game, in which case I'm hoping that Jacksonville and Tampa manage to luck into a couple.

I think someone in the Freeman/Schiano relationship was a headcase and a debacle, but I'm not so sure it was Josh Freeman...

Yeah, but a big plus for Manziel - When s*#t hit the fan outside of football his play didn't suffer. It seems he performs on the field no matter what. I can't see a team not taking a chance on him in the first. He's one of those guys who could be better than many think he "should" be in the NFL.

Or he could flop.
I don't know enough about Johnny Manziel's off-field antics to comment on his particular case, so I won't. However, if a franchise is going to spend a high draft pick with the intention of taking a 'franchise quarterback' then charector is a huge concern,

Think of quarterbacks who have gone down in flames because the pressure of being an NFL quarterback was simply not a match with their charector.

One guy I always think of is Broncos quarterback Brian Griese who was drafted in the third round by the Denver Broncos. People think backwards and say, 'oh he was terrible', um not true. He had a lot of pressue taking over for Hall of Fame QB John Elway and getting handed the keys to a two-time Super Bowl winning team with a solid O-Line, Terrell Davis, McCaffery Rod Smith, and Shannan Sharpe, add in Mike Shanahan and his staff providing stable coaching, He was set-up to succeed and he hit the ground running going to the Pro Bowl with a QB passer rating of over 100 but he had off-field issues.

http://www.cbsnews.com/2100-400_162-245154.html

February 11, 2009, 9:36 PM

Broncos' Griese Nabbed For DUIDenver Broncos quarterback Brian Griese takes complete responsibility for actions that led to his weekend arrest on charges of driving under the influence.

"I'm going to stand up and take it like a man, go on from there," he said Monday.

Griese was pulled over Saturday on an interstate outside Denver. Police said he was traveling 80 mph in a 65 mph zone.

He said at a news conference that he had a couple of drinks at dinner with a friend before heading home.

"I understand the seriousness of the charges and I'm going to take full responsibility for it because that's just the way that I am," he said.

Griese faces a Jan. 16 court date.

He failed roadside sobriety and breathalyzer tests and was taken to a detoxification facility in Aurora, Colorado State Patrol trooper Rob Marone said. Griese's blood-alcohol content was above the 0.10-percent legal limit, but Marone would not be more specific....
Turns out Greise downed 14 beers at noon with one of his offensive linemen and then hit a busy highway at rush hour.

I remember hearing that story and think that you would NEVER hear of a guy like Elway or Marino, or Aikman, etc, doing something like that.

To a much lessor degree, but still showing incredible immaturity is the following example from Jets rookie QB Marc Sanchez who was caught eating a hotdog on the sidelines DURING A GAME.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mh71pVqGKTc

Jets QB Mark Sanchez Eats a Hot Dog on Sidelines -

Unbelievably immature and not someone who seems to be in-touch with his responsibilties to his team or honoring his role as being a 'franchise quarterback'.

Another example of charector issues that seemed to be evident early-on to doom a 'franchise quarterback' was the rookie year of Cincinatti quarterback Akil Smith who, after winning his first NFL game, gestrured a 'throat slash' at the Cleveland bench and then went to the Dawg Pound to thump his chest and taunt Cleveland fans.

http://lubbockonline.com/stories/112499/pro_112499098.shtml

... After leading a game-winning drive earlier this season in Cleveland, Cincinnati Bengals rookie quarterback Akili Smith pounded his chest at the Browns' bench and taunted the fans in the Dawg Pound by making the throat-slash gesture.
I think that any team considering using a high draft pick on a franchise QB have to be completely sold on the charector of the individual who will be leading men onto the field and who will be expected to be the face of the team.

I don't know enough about Johnny Manziel but i'm positive that every NFL team is and will continue to turn over rocks on every possible red-flag with his charector.

I don't see OT as a real possibility in the first for the Bengals.

Whitworth is only 31, playing at a Pro Bowl level and won't be a FA until 2016. I think he is locked in as the starter for the next 2.5 years.

I don't think any team is so deep that they are drafting a guy in the 1st round with the plan that he is just going to sit on the bench for 2 seasons. Especially at a position like OL that doesn't rotate backups into the game.
So there would be a 2 year overlap if he plays out his contract. It wouldn't be the first time the Bengals essentially red-shirted a 1st round pick and having a 3rd OT would be pretty helpful in the mean time. Look how many times ACollins has been pressed into action. If I'm being completely honest though, I simply think Whit is starting to show signs of breaking down. I would be pleasantly surprised if he's playing at a high level for 16 games in 2015. Hurst seems to have a similar game to Whit so I'm viewing the overlap to learn from him as a plus.

I get your point about Whit having a long-term deal though. You can definitely make a case for or against several positions.

Some interesting comments by ESPN draft analyst Todd McShay yesterday commenting on the talent/depth of the quarterbacks in the upcoming draft class.

Go to a lil-past the 1:00 mark of this audio to hear the following by McShay. I posted the transcript below the link.

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/media-center/audio/Cleveland-Browns-Daily---71/f500ca50-aa2e-44e1-a5e8-d73805e42f11#/media-center/audio/Cleveland_Browns_Daily_1029_Part_6/095c3975-cb2c-459f-b545-15388089b629

My point is that their isnt a player in this draft who is going to get a grade that is close to the one that Andrew Luck got. And, maybe if Mariatta continues to progress, maybe he gets a grade that is around RG III.

Teddy Bridgewater probably, when its all said and done, depending on where you graded him but probably for me would be in the same grade range that I gave Ryan Tannenhill.

So, I think its important not to confuse depth with quality.

Interesting.
It's amazing to me that McShay is equating Bridgewater to a converted WR who went into the draft with one year of experience.

Tex A & M wr Mike Evans is going to be a fast riser at the combine
He's one of my top guys to watch at the combine. I just don't think he's as good as he's being rated right now. He doesn't look like a fluid athlete to me and I think he will struggle at the combine but I want to see. Maybe he's a better athlete than I think.

Tex A & M wr Mike Evans is going to be a fast riser at the combine
He could go either way. We know he's huge and can jump over defenders/fight for the ball but if he comes out and runs a 4.7-4.8 40 he's going to fall.

Do the Rams really need another LB picked that high? They already have Laurenitis and Ogletree there, is that 3rd guy that neccesary to be a stud as well? Just seems like they could use help in a LOT of other positions than taking a LB at #6 overall.

Matt Miller put out his mid-season Redraft of last year's first round.

Didn't want to open a new draft thread but it fits here.

Go to the link for the full explanations of each pick.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1831087-matt-millers-midseason-2013-nfl-re-draft

1. Kansas City Chiefs

Original Pick: OT Eric Fisher, Central

Re-Draft Pick: DE Sheldon Richardson, Missouri

2. Jacksonville Jaguars

Original Pick: OT Luke Joeckel, Texas A&M

Re-Draft Pick: QB EJ Manuel, FSU

3. Oakland Raiders

Original Pick: CB D.J. Hayden, Houston

Re-Draft Pick: DE/OLB Dion Jordan, Oregon

4. Philadelphia Eagles

Original Pick: OT Lane Johnson, Oklahoma

Re-Draft Pick: OT D.J. Fluker, Alabama

5. Detroit Lions

Original Pick: DE Ezekiel Ansah, BYU

Re-Draft Pick: DE Ezekiel Ansah, BYU

6. Cleveland Browns

Original Pick: OLB Barkevious Mingo, LSU

Re-Draft Pick: QB Geno Smith, West Virginia

7. Arizona Cardinals

Original Pick: OG Jonathan Cooper, North Carolina

Re-Draft Pick: OT Luke Joeckel, Texas A&M

8. Buffalo Bills

Original Pick: QB EJ Manuel, FSU

Re-Draft Pick: ILB Kiko Alonso, Oregon

9. New York Jets

Original Pick: CB Dee Milliner, Alabama

Re-Draft Pick: OLB Barkevious Mingo, LSU

10. Tennessee Titans

Original Pick: OG Chance Warmack, Alabama

Re-Draft Pick: OG Chance Warmack, Alabama

11. San Diego Chargers

Original Pick: OT D.J. Fluker, Alabama

Re-Draft Pick: WR Keenan Allen, California

12. Miami Dolphins

Original Pick: DE Dion Jordan, Oregon

Re-Draft Pick: OG Larry Warford, Kentucky

13. New York Jets

Original Pick: DE Sheldon Richardson, Missouri

Re-Draft Pick: DT Star Lotulelei, Utah

14. Carolina Panthers

Original Pick: DT Star Lotulelei, Utah

Re-Draft Pick: CB/S Tyrann Mathieu, LSU

15. New Orleans Saints

Original Pick: FS Kenny Vaccaro, Texas

Re-Draft Pick: FS Kenny Vaccaro, Texas

16. St. Louis Rams

Original Pick: WR Tavon Austin, West Virginia

Re-Draft Pick: WR DeAndre Hopkins, Clemson

17. Pittsburgh Steelers

Original Pick: OLB Jarvis Jones, Georgia

Re-Draft Pick: CB Marcus Cooper, Rutgers

18. Dallas Cowboys

Original Pick: C Travis Frederick, Wisconsin

Re-Draft Pick: WR Terrance Williams, Baylor

19. New York Giants

Original Pick: OT Justin Pugh, Syracuse

Re-Draft Pick: DT Kawann Short, Purdue

20. Chicago Bears

Original Pick: OG Kyle Long, Oregon

Re-Draft Pick: OG Kyle Long, Oregon

21. Cincinnati Bengals

Original Pick: TE Tyler Eifert, Notre Dame

Re-Draft Pick: TE Tyler Eifert, Notre Dame

22. St. Louis Rams (from Washington)

Original Pick: OLB Alec Ogletree, Georgia

Re-Draft Pick: RB Eddie Lacy, Alabama

23. Minnesota Vikings

Original Pick: DT Sharrif Floyd, Florida

Re-Draft Pick: DT Sharrif Floyd, Florida

24. Indianapolis Colts

Original Pick: OLB Bjoern Werner, FSU

Re-Draft Pick: WR Cordarrelle Patterson, Tennessee

25. Minnesota Vikings (from Seattle)

Original Pick: CB Xavier Rhodes, FSU

Re-Draft Pick: CB Xavier Rhodes, FSU

26. Green Bay Packers

Original Pick: DE Datone Jones, UCLA

Re-Draft Pick: OT David Bakhtiari, Colorado

27. Houston Texans

Original Pick: WR DeAndre Hopkins, Clemson

Re-Draft Pick: WR Tavon Austin, West Virginia

28. Denver Broncos

Original Pick: DT Sylvester Williams, North Carolina

Re-Draft Pick: CB Desmond Trufant, Washington

29. New England Patriots

Original Pick: OLB Jamie Collins, Southern Miss

Re-Draft Pick: WR Robert Woods, USC

30. Atlanta Falcons

Original Pick: CB Desmond Trufant, Washington

Re-Draft Pick: CB Johnthan Banks, Mississippi State

31. San Francisco 49ers

Original Pick: FS Eric Reid, LSU

Re-Draft Pick: FS Eric Reid, LSU

32. Baltimore Ravens

Original Pick: SS Matt Elam, Florida

Re-Draft Pick: WR Kenny Stills, Oklahoma

Also PFF has been putting out grades for each first round draft pick and they just updated them the other day.

I've been posting the defensive players on the IDP board but here is the full first round draft grades for the first round according to Pro Football Focus

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/10/29/first-rounders-in-focus-week-8/

First Rounders in Focus: Week 8

Khaled Elsayed | October 29, 2013

1.Eric Fisher, T, Kansas City Chiefs

Grade: -17.9
Snaps: 466
Analysis: If the Chiefs were not 8-0 there would be a lot more scrutiny of the first overall pick. In short, he hasn’t been very good. Flagged for six penalties and with his run and pass blocking earning negative grades, the fans will hope he’s learning on the job.

2. Luke Joeckel, T, Jacksonville Jaguars

Grade: -6.1
Snaps: 280
Analysis: Since last we spoke, Joeckel has been recovering after landing on Injured Reserve. It means he’ll avoid some of the stink of the Jaguars so far winless season, hoping to return to a roster filled out with a few more starting caliber players.

3. Dion Jordan, DE, Miami Dolphins

Grade: +3.2
Snaps: 145
Analysis: Purely a situational player and even then it’s a strictly obvious passing downs one. That means we can’t expect the kind of contribution we saw from Aldon Smith in his rookie year but his 14 quarterback disruptions on 94 pass rushing snaps are a useful return. Playing time is the biggest thing holding him back.

4. Lane Johnson, T, Philadelphia Eagles

Grade: -11.7
Snaps: 580
Analysis: Amongst some moments of solid play, Johnson has generally been found wanting with his pass protection where all of his negative grade (and some) comes from. He’s already surrendered seven sacks, five hits and 30 hurries.

5. Ezekial Ansah, DE, Detroit Lions

Grade: -4.7
Snaps: 343
Analysis: The four sacks are a nice return, but his pass rushing production hasn’t been quite what the team might have hoped. He has more total pressure than Jordan (17 QB disruptions) but it’s taken him an extra 105 snaps to earn it. His work in the run game has warranted a positive grade, though.

6. Barkevious Mingo, OLB, Cleveland Browns

Grade: -4.4
Snaps: 362
Analysis: Got plenty of action with Jabaal Sheard out injured, and now that he’s back Mingo is still seeing the field but not doing enough to suggest he should be starting. Much like the man selected above him, not producing enough pressure relative to how many times he’s rushing the passer. Have been flashes.

7. Jonathan Cooper, G, Arizona Cardinals

Grade: n/a
Snaps: n/a
Analysis: Injured in preseason. 2014 will be when he gets to test himself.

8. Tavon Austin, WR, St Louis Rams

Grade: -3.9
Snaps: 276
Analysis: A tough start to things for Austin who has dropped five of his 46 targets and is averaging only 6.7 yards per catch. His luck is rotten enough that even when he does hit a home run it gets called back (as in the Panthers game). This isn’t what the Rams imagined when they brought him in.

9. Dee Milliner, CB, New York Jets

Grade: -8.1
Snaps: 226
Analysis: Here’s a riddle. Who has more benchings than pass break ups, but fewer benchings than touchdowns he allowed? Of course the answer is Milliner who has endured a very tricky start to life in the NFL, picking up the second-lowest coverage grade of all cornerbacks and being saved on more than one occasion by some erratic quarterback play.

10. Chance Warmack, G, Tennessee Titans

Grade: -4.5
Snaps: 463
Analysis: While Warmack hasn’t exactly excelled in the run game, he’s been a lot better there then in pass protection where he’s already allowed four sacks, one hit and 14 hurries. Advertised as being a stud from Day 1, he’s only served to show that the gap from college to the pros is more significant than some might think.

11. D.J. Fluker, T, San Diego Chargers

Grade: +3.4
Snaps: 440
Analysis: Grade would arguably be higher but for a stint at left tackle when the team lost linemen like it was going out of fashion. Had his pass protection exposed there, but has strangely been unable to really impose himself in the run game yet.

12. D.J. Hayden, CB, Oakland Raiders

Grade: -3.8
Snaps: 317
Analysis: Has been a lot better since missing a frankly ridiculous six tackles versus the Broncos (outside of that he has just one miss). That bodes well and he’s settling into life as the team’s outside corner in their sub-package defense.

13. Sheldon Richardson, DE, New York Jets

Grade: +13.9
Snaps: 446
Analysis: After a hot start he’s slowed down a little, but our Race for Rookie of the Year still has him top of the charts. The team might have been expecting more pressure but it’s been against the run that Richardson has starred. That’s why he’s our sixth-ranked 3-4 end.

14. Star Lotulelei, DT, Carolina Panthers

Grade: +11.1
Snaps: 270
Analysis: Arguably the form rookie right now with his work against the run standing out as much as any other. It’s not just that he’s clogging up running lanes, but he has a real knack for getting off the ball as his 12.5 Run Stop Percentage shows. That’s fourth best of all defensive tackles.

15. Kenny Vacaro, S, New Orleans Saints

Grade: -4.7
Snaps: 445
Analysis: Certainly making his presence felt and has earned a positive for his good work in the run game where he really shows off his instincts. Less effective rushing the passer (and the team isn’t shy about blitzing him) and has been found wanting in coverage on more than one occasion.

16. E.J. Manuel, QB, Buffalo Bills

Grade: -11.6
Snaps: 358
Analysis: Hasn’t played since picking up a knock versus the Browns. Unfortunately for him, in that period no player has done enough to take him off the bottom of our quarterback rankings.

17. Jarvis Jones, OLB, Pittsburgh Steelers

Grade: -2.2
Snaps: 209
Analysis: Was handed the starting job but then lost it because of blowing assignments. Just six QB disruptions on 75 pass rushes speaks to his lack of opportunity, but when he has been on the field he’s hardly wowed. Slow start.

18. Eric Reid, S, San Francisco 49ers

Grade: +5.4
Snaps: 513
Analysis: Despite his poor tackling (nine missed tackles) he’s taken to the task of replacing Dashon Goldon extremely well, rarely putting a foot wrong in coverage and making a number of big plays on the ball. The team is better for his ability.

19. Justin Pugh, RT, New York Giants

Grade: -3.4
Snaps: 536
Analysis: Has got better after his tough opening quarter to the season, and amassed a +3.8 grade over his last four games. No longer the liability he once appeared to be in pass protection, the Giants will no doubt be both happy with how he is coming along, but eager to see more.

20. Kyle Long, G, Chicago Bears

Grade: -0.5
Snaps: 446
Analysis: A tale of two players. On one hand you’ve got the man with our 10th-highest rating among guards with his run blocking. On the other, 52 guards have a higher pass blocking grade and Long has allowed 17 quarterback disruptions. A promising first season.

21. Tyler Eifert, TE, Cincinnati Bengals

Grade: +1.8
Snaps: 341
Analysis: With 293 yards passing, Eifert is certainly being eased into things as the Bengals become a predominantly two tight end team. Three drops on 34 targets isn’t great, but there have been glimpses of what led the team to spend a first-round pick on him.

22. Desmond Trufant, CB, Atlanta Falcons

Grade: +3.0
Snaps: 437
Analysis: Has rather interestingly managed to pick up at least one pass break up in each of his seven starts. Not too shabby. Of course there’s more to life in the NFL than just PDs (he’s been flagged for three penalties, for example), but it’s been a steady to start to things for Trufant.

23. Shariff Floyd, DT, Minnesota Vikings

Grade: -3.6
Snaps: 198
Analysis: Hasn’t really proved anyone wrong yet with his draft day drop. A part of the Vikings’ rotation, he has seven quarterback disruptions but has failed to make a real impression against the run. The team is easing him into a more prominent role in the years to come.

24. Bjorn Werner, OLB, Indianapolis Colts

Grade: -2.8
Snaps: 86
Analysis: Is close to returning after picking up an injury after two snaps against the Jaguars in Week 4. Hardly set the world alight in that period, but they will be hoping he comes back better for the time off.

25. Xavier Rhodes, CB, Minnesota Vikings

Grade: -1.9
Snaps: 337
Analysis: An uneventful time of things outside of getting flagged a poor four times. Yet to allow a touchdown and does a decent job for the most part of not letting receivers in behind him with the 19 catches he’s allowed averaging just 9.6 yards.

26. Datone Jones, DE, Green Bay Packers

Grade: -5.8
Snaps: 138
Analysis: He’s being eased into things as the snap count would suggest, with the team expecting him to make a contribution in their sub-package, obvious passing situation defense. He hasn’t. Not yet, anyway, but it should be noted he’s had two stronger performances in his last three weeks. Baby steps.

27. DeAndre Hopkins, WR, Houston Texans

Grade: +2.1
Snaps: 472
Analysis: It’s been a bit of a roller coaster for Hopkins. When Andre Johnson was down he was making plays, but with him back he’d found his opportunities to impress somewhat limited. After 19 targets in the first two weeks he’s had 23 in the following five. A knack for making plays though.

28. Sylvester Williams, DT, Denver Broncos

Grade: -4.0
Snaps: 87
Analysis: Featured in all bar one game but yet to manage more than 20 snaps. The team clearly hasn’t deemed him ready to play in a meaningful manner and with as many missed tackles (two) as tackles (and just the one quarterback disruption), you can see why.

29. Cordarrelle Patterson, WR, Minnesota Vikings

Grade: +1.7
Snaps: 103
Analysis: Well he hasn’t exactly seen a lot of playing time on offense has he? But where he has made a big contribution is on special teams where his kick returning sees him leading our rankings in that department. Still is there a logical reason why he’s not getting more snaps?

30. Alec Ogletree, LB, St Louis Rams

Grade: -3.0
Snaps: 484
Analysis: The every-down linebacker has certainly made his share of plays and definitely has a nose for the ball-carrier. Of course eight tackles are too many for him to miss and he’s been a pretty ineffective blitzer. Small gripes but the team will no doubt be happy with him.

31. Travis Frederick, C, Dallas Cowboys

Grade: +2.6
Snaps: 521
Analysis: One of the most scrutinized draft picks, Frederick has come in and upgraded a position of weakness for the Cowboys. Can you ask much more than that? Possibly. If he was as good in pass protection as he was with his run blocking he’d be higher than 10th in our center rankings.

32. Matt Elam, S, Baltimore Ravens

Grade: -2.5
Snaps: 418
Analysis: Might be better in the long run playing the role that James Ihedigbo has excelled in, but is adjusting to what is being asked of him, with his best performance of the year coming against the Steelers.

I'd don't get the Dion Jordan love in that redraft or grading. All he needs is playing time? He's not getting playing time because he's a one dimensional guy who isn't even doing that one thing well. He's got what, 1 sack on the year? Pretty much the entire negative column of his scouting report is rearing it's ugly head so far and very little of the positive is. He'd be a mid-first selection at best in a do over IMO.

I'm just of the mind that you don't take non-Left Tackle linemen in the top half of the draft. They could take one at the 2nd first rounder, but they need more skill players on offense.
Um no. There were two guards and a RT taken in the first eleven picks last year. If a player can play, you take him.

Do the Rams really need another LB picked that high? They already have Laurenitis and Ogletree there, is that 3rd guy that neccesary to be a stud as well? Just seems like they could use help in a LOT of other positions than taking a LB at #6 overall.
I agree, IMO safety is most needed position.if they have two top ten picks, I think they take dixon, alabama safety, consensus top at position, with second... MAYBE after a trade down, but that would probably be too risky, especially if he tests like a blue chip athlete at combine...

don't think there is any way he drops to second round, the safety position has become too valuable... he might be a comparable prospect to vaccaro and reid, in what was an outstanding year for safeties...

they need CB more than LB (finnegan looks like he is hitting the wall with seriously eroding skills, making $15 mil this year) and maybe DT, too... brockers is a future star, but langford not a difference maker, and makes more than he is worth.

on offense, they need OL (OT and several interior OL), stacy playing well but seastrunk and gordon could be upgrades (and teams need two, I think richardson will end being a stopgap)...

they are probably more likely to go in first than thomas...

everybody agrees STL needs a QB, just not on whether starter or upgraded backup/developmental-type... even if they don't use a first, they might use a second, depending on who is else is there (at that point, if they haven't already taken one by then, I hope they use no later than a third, and get a prospect like the Georgia QB)...

some think despite drafting four WRs since 2012, they still don't have a WR1, and should get watkins, evans or lee...

with cook and kendricks, TE might be only offensive position not likely to be at least in play for a high pick... than again, cook hasn't lit it up, and kendricks will be in the third year of his contract... but I don't see it in first.

i think OL and safety most likely with two firsts.

too many permutations by second...

To think the bucs would blow a pick on Clowney would make me hurl. Clowney is a collegiate superstar that is waiting for his nfl payday.... He is a slacker and only plays 50% of his snaps. Fakes injuries... Etc.

As fun as Johnny football sounds, again, collegiate superstar that doesnt look to translate to the nfl.

To think the bucs would blow a pick on Clowney would make me hurl. Clowney is a collegiate superstar that is waiting for his nfl payday.... He is a slacker and only plays 50% of his snaps. Fakes injuries... Etc.

As fun as Johnny football sounds, again, collegiate superstar that doesnt look to translate to the nfl.
Clowney is playing for free right now so there's no incentive for him to give 100%. While he could slack in the NFL once he gets his $20M guaranteed, the really big money is after his rookie deal is over.

With that said, I'd be amazed if they take him over a potential franchise QB.

6. Cleveland Browns

Original Pick: OLB Barkevious Mingo, LSU

Re-Draft Pick: QB Geno Smith, West Virginia
I just find this funny based on the pre-draft debates and his falling. His redraft is close to where some had him going before his apparently baseless (not sure if that's the right word, but wrongful?) fall.

Clowney is playing for free right now so there's no incentive for him to give 100%. While he could slack in the NFL once he gets his $20M guaranteed, the really big money is after his rookie deal is over.

Agreed. If Tampa has a top 3 pick it's likely because Glennon isn't looking like a star. BUT, if the Giants or Steelers get a top pick, Clowney will likely be their guy.

Sorry, but anyone who says QB to TEN Rd 2 is a %^&*@! who never watches a game or even plays fantasy football in a deeper league.

My point is that their isnt a player in this draft who is going to get a grade that is close to the one that Andrew Luck got. And, maybe if Mariatta continues to progress, maybe he gets a grade that is around RG III.

So, I think its important not to confuse depth with quality.

Interesting.
It's amazing to me that McShay is equating Bridgewater to a converted WR who went into the draft with one year of experience.
McShay is a hack- he's the one who dissed Luck all thru his senior year.

Sorry, but anyone who says QB to TEN Rd 2 is a %^&*@! who never watches a game or even plays fantasy football in a deeper league.
That seems a little over the top. But I do agree that there are probably 10-20 other positions they need more.

Agreed. If Tampa has a top 3 pick it's likely because Glennon isn't looking like a star. BUT, if the Giants or Steelers get a top pick, Clowney will likely be their guy.
Agreed. There is no chance TB doesn't draft a QB at #2, or trade down with a team that will, a very smart thing to do.

No doubt the teams after the Vikings, Bucs and Jags are drooling over him.

I'm just of the mind that you don't take non-Left Tackle linemen in the top half of the draft. They could take one at the 2nd first rounder, but they need more skill players on offense.
Um no. There were two guards and a RT taken in the first eleven picks last year. If a player can play, you take him.
And what has it done for the teams that did that?
Fluker was the rookie of the week filling in at LT.

Users who are viewing this thread