What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Have black QBs been discriminated against (1 Viewer)

Chase Stuart

Footballguy
Post over at the PFR blog today that takes a scientific look at whether black QBs have been discriminated against. Would love some feedback.

Have black QBs been discriminated in the draft? It’s a complicated question that’s probably impossible to fully answer. Akili Smith was a bust. Randall Cunningham was a steal. Those are easy, but how do we look at the whole group? Here’s one way.

I looked at every QB selected in the first 224 picks of the 30 drafts from 1970-1999 (224 was chosen because that’s how many picks there are in a 7-round, 32 team draft), and I then gave each QB drafted the pick value associated with that draft pick (a sample pick value chart can be found here). So Tim Couch, Peyton Manning, Drew Bledsoe, Jeff George, Troy Aikman, Vinny Testaverde, John Elway, Steve Bartkowski, Jim Plunkett and Terry Bradshaw were all assigned 3,000 points, since that’s what the number one pick is worth. Trent Green — pick 222 of the 1993 draft was assigned 2.6 points, and every other QB fell somewhere in between. There were 289 quarterbacks that met these criteria.
The rest can be read here: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/blog/?p=491

I took a look at what you put together and all that math gave me a headache. So I will refrain from commenting on the math part (which I'm sure was diligently prepared and accurate).

I will wonder, though, if there is a secondary effect that may be at work here. For starters, the sample size is a bit on the small size. There have not been a ton of black QBs to begin with, so the results will seem magnified no matter what.

But what I noticed was that a fair amount of the QBs in the data set came from smaller schools (or at the very least not from perenial power house schools) . . .

Randall Cunningham - UNLV

Aaron Brooks - Virginia

Jeff Blake and David Garrard - East Carolina

Daunte Culpepper - Central Florida

Tarvaris Jackson - Alabama State

Charlie Batch - Eastern Michigan

So IMO, the success of those players may have steemed from a bias against smaller schools. Which then brings us to the question whether the issue was what school they attended or whether they were black.

Sort of like last week's medical report that came out and tried to conclude the following: Overweight people drink diet soda. Therefore diet soda makes you overweight.

I'm not saying that the black QB situation is on that level, only that the schools they attended may have something to do with that.

The black QBs drafted more recetnly have not fared as well and also went to bigger schools, so I am wondering where the black bias is there (if any).

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, not knowing the results for white QBs (at least I didn't see them included) makes it hard to tell if the results for black QBs are better, worse, or the same compared to white QBs.

Don't even get me started.

If Akili Smith was white, He would still be the start in Cincinnati.

He played at Oregon not a small school.

No. If someone is going to go through the trouble of finding out if black QBs have been discriminated against they should also see if Asians or Hispanics or Whites or Blacks are being discriminated against in any other position. The player pool isnt diverse enough to make these findings any more scientific then for me to say that white running backs are discriminated against.

I have to agree that the sample size for black qbs is a lot smaller than the one for white qbs so to treat them the same is kinda like comparing apples and oranges. I think another thing to consider is that it hasn't been until the past decade or so where we've seen the collegiate powerhouses like Ohio state and Florida, etc go with a black qb as their starter. As black qbs get more exposure at the college level you start seeing them becoming first round picks on a more regular basis when they do come out

Post over at the PFR blog today that takes a scientific look at whether black QBs have been discriminated against. Would love some feedback.

Have black QBs been discriminated in the draft? It’s a complicated question that’s probably impossible to fully answer. Akili Smith was a bust. Randall Cunningham was a steal. Those are easy, but how do we look at the whole group? Here’s one way.

I looked at every QB selected in the first 224 picks of the 30 drafts from 1970-1999 (224 was chosen because that’s how many picks there are in a 7-round, 32 team draft), and I then gave each QB drafted the pick value associated with that draft pick (a sample pick value chart can be found here). So Tim Couch, Peyton Manning, Drew Bledsoe, Jeff George, Troy Aikman, Vinny Testaverde, John Elway, Steve Bartkowski, Jim Plunkett and Terry Bradshaw were all assigned 3,000 points, since that’s what the number one pick is worth. Trent Green — pick 222 of the 1993 draft was assigned 2.6 points, and every other QB fell somewhere in between. There were 289 quarterbacks that met these criteria.
Plain and simply, No.

No. If someone is going to go through the trouble of finding out if black QBs have been discriminated against they should also see if Asians or Hispanics or Whites or Blacks are being discriminated against in any other position. The player pool isnt diverse enough to make these findings any more scientific then for me to say that white running backs are discriminated against.
:goodposting: Timmy Chang wasn't given a fair chance either :thumbup:

Chase your proposal is ridiculous.

What i have realized, is that many of the starting black QBs in the NFL have horrible WR to throw to.

Donovan Mcnabb: Curtis, Reggie Brown, Greg Lewis

Jason Campbell: Santana Moss, Antwaan Randle El, James Thrash

Tavaris Jackson: Sidney Rice, Troy Williamson, Bobby Wade

Vince Young: Roydell Williams, Justin Gage, Brandon Jones

David Garrard: Reggie Williams, Dennis Northcutt, Matt Jones

Cleo Lemon: Ted Ginn, Greg Camarillo, Derek Hagan

Im pretty sure that it is just a coincidence, but i still find it interesting.

Last edited:
Also, not knowing the results for white QBs (at least I didn't see them included) makes it hard to tell if the results for black QBs are better, worse, or the same compared to white QBs.
I know you mentioned you skipped over some of the math, so here's the abbreviated version:I looked at all QBs (the majority of which are white). I saw how they played in the NFL, relative to their draft position. This enabled me to put a number on what's intuitive -- i.e., Qbs drafted in the 1st round perform better than Qbs drafted in the third round; Qbs in the second round perform better than Qbs drafted in the fifth round. I could put a number on how much better they performed.Then, I saw whether or not all black QBs have outperformed or underperformed their draft position. You could go down the list with no data, and come to similar results. It's easy to see that Ware was a bust, Cunningham a good pick, Aaron Brooks a steal, Mike Vick an underperformer, Jeff Blake an overperformer, etc. But this just put some math on those numbers.I then, with several caveats, gave some theories that might explain the data. Make sense?

Warren Moon changed the tide.
That's certainly true. That doesn't answer the questions, though, of whether there was discrimination against black QBs before the Moon era (perhaps surprisingly, of the four black QBs drafted before Moon came to the NFL, the answer appears to be no) and whether Moon changed the tide or completely ended the discrimination.

I know you mentioned you skipped over some of the math, so here's the abbreviated version:I looked at all QBs (the majority of which are white). I saw how they played in the NFL, relative to their draft position. This enabled me to put a number on what's intuitive -- i.e., Qbs drafted in the 1st round perform better than Qbs drafted in the third round; Qbs in the second round perform better than Qbs drafted in the fifth round. I could put a number on how much better they performed.Then, I saw whether or not all black QBs have outperformed or underperformed their draft position. You could go down the list with no data, and come to similar results. It's easy to see that Ware was a bust, Cunningham a good pick, Aaron Brooks a steal, Mike Vick an underperformer, Jeff Blake an overperformer, etc. But this just put some math on those numbers.I then, with several caveats, gave some theories that might explain the data. Make sense?
I understand what you were doing . . . but I did not see where there was conclusion A for white QBs and conclusion B for black QBs.For example, if the average expected return for white QBs was 682 points and they returned a score of 477 points. And by comparison, the black QBs returned 844 points on an expected return of 522 (or whatever the numbers turn out to be).

I think we should ask Tony Romo what he thinks!

I took a look at what you put together and all that math gave me a headache. So I will refrain from commenting on the math part (which I'm sure was diligently prepared and accurate).I will wonder, though, if there is a secondary effect that may be at work here. For starters, the sample size is a bit on the small size. There have not been a ton of black QBs to begin with, so the results will seem magnified no matter what.But what I noticed was that a fair amount of the QBs in the data set came from smaller schools (or at the very least not from perenial power house schools) . . .Randall Cunningham - UNLVAaron Brooks - VirginiaJeff Blake and David Garrard - East CarolinaDaunte Culpepper - Central FloridaTarvaris Jackson - Alabama StateCharlie Batch - Eastern MichiganSo IMO, the success of those players may have steemed from a bias against smaller schools. Which then brings us to the question whether the issue was what school they attended or whether they were black.Sort of like last week's medical report that came out and tried to conclude the following: Overweight people drink diet soda. Therefore diet soda makes you overweight.I'm not saying that the black QB situation is on that level, only that the schools they attended may have something to do with that.The black QBs drafted more recetnly have not fared as well and also went to bigger schools, so I am wondering where the black bias is there (if any).
Definitely an interesting point. I am working on a study to see if players from smaller schools have been discriminated against in the draft. One study I did with WRs showed that not to be true, but that work wasn't conclusive, and may not apply to all positions.

I have to agree that the sample size for black qbs is a lot smaller than the one for white qbs so to treat them the same is kinda like comparing apples and oranges. I think another thing to consider is that it hasn't been until the past decade or so where we've seen the collegiate powerhouses like Ohio state and Florida, etc go with a black qb as their starter. As black qbs get more exposure at the college level you start seeing them becoming first round picks on a more regular basis when they do come out
The sample size is definitely small, too small to make a definitive conclusion. Arguably that's also an effect of discrimination, though. The sample size in recent years is much larger, and there doesn't appear to be any discrimination going on anymore when it comes to drafting black QBs.

I wonder if you're cherrypicking your stats a bit, Chase. Since you're weighting value according to quality seasons, I don't think having a prerequisite 9 years experience matters as much. What about the stats from, say, 2000-2007? (They may be similar, I'm just wondering if the recent numbers fit or throw the curve.)

Plus, there's the sociological impact that should be taken into account. How long had black players been treated as equal ability in the NFL before 1970, or was the acceptance still forming through that decade (as I suspect).

Inversely, were non-black RB & WR discriminated against, through the last 29 years? Guys like McCaffery and Alstott are generally seen as the exception to the rule these days.

I think a more accurate measure would be, during the same time period, the percentage of quality college QBs (e.g. draftable) by race compared the percentage in the NFL.

Chase your proposal is ridiculous.What i have realized, is that many of the starting black QBs in the NFL have horrible WR to throw to.Donovan Mcnabb: Curtis, Reggie Brown, Greg LewisJason Campbell: Santana Moss, Antwaan Randle El, James ThrashTavaris Jackson: Sidney Rice, Troy Williamson, Bobby WadeVince Young: Roydell Williams, Justin Gage, Brandon JonesDavid Garrard: Reggie Williams, Dennis Northcutt, Matt JonesCleo Lemon: Ted Ginn, Greg Camarillo, Derek HaganIm pretty sure that it is just a coincidence, but i still find it interesting.
What proposal is ridiculous?

stp-d said:
I think you should consider that there may have been discrimination going on from all sides which may have affected who they were drafted by or where they went to school.
Can you explain this? I don't exactly follow.

I understand what you were doing . . . but I did not see where there was conclusion A for white QBs and conclusion B for black QBs.For example, if the average expected return for white QBs was 682 points and they returned a score of 477 points. And by comparison, the black QBs returned 844 points on an expected return of 522 (or whatever the numbers turn out to be).
By definition, the average expected return for all QBs equals what they actually returned. The average expected return for white QBs couldn't possibly be that low, since they're the overwhelming majority of the study.

Nothing backtracks the plight of African-Americans more than these type of topics. While watching the Super Bowl of yesteryear, an over abundance of press was given to the "black" vs "black" matchup of Dungy vs Lovie.

How could a black person not sit back in their recliner and think, "Why is it such a big deal that two coaches of the same color could coach in such a big game?!?!" If everybody is truly equal, then we should not throw tidbits on the table that suggest otherwise.

I wonder if you're cherrypicking your stats a bit, Chase. Since you're weighting value according to quality seasons, I don't think having a prerequisite 9 years experience matters as much. What about the stats from, say, 2000-2007? (They may be similar, I'm just wondering if the recent numbers fit or throw the curve.)
I don't think you'd want to run this on any players that started their career in 2000. There's just not enough time, IMO. There are still guys like Manning from '98 running up numbers. I'm valuing quality, yes, but quantity is also being weighed quite a bit.And there's no cherrypicking from an intentional standpoint.
Plus, there's the sociological impact that should be taken into account. How long had black players been treated as equal ability in the NFL before 1970, or was the acceptance still forming through that decade (as I suspect).
I'm not really sure what you mean.
Inversely, were non-black RB & WR discriminated against, through the last 29 years? Guys like McCaffery and Alstott are generally seen as the exception to the rule these days.
Possibly.
I think a more accurate measure would be, during the same time period, the percentage of quality college QBs (e.g. draftable) by race compared the percentage in the NFL.
How would you determine who is a draftable college QB? I also don't have a large database full of college players. I think looking at those drafted, and seeing if they over or underperformed their draft position, is a better way to do it.

Don't even get me started.If Akili Smith was white, He would still be the start in Cincinnati.He played at Oregon not a small school.
He wasnt very good dont matter if he was white green black purple . he sucked . Thats why he didnt make it in the NFL.

By definition, the average expected return for all QBs equals what they actually returned. The average expected return for white QBs couldn't possibly be that low, since they're the overwhelming majority of the study.
My point was, that unless you have a baseline for comparison you have no idea what the results mean.For example, it's conceivable that QB as a whole (black, white, green, or purple) have a universal prediliction that they are overvalued or undervalued.You plugged in the numbers based on point values, draft positions, and returns. That could show that QBs are worth where they are drafted or not. Follow that up with a breakdown between whire, black, purple, and green QBs and then you have more to look at.Having just the numbers for black QBs is only a puzzle piece but not a puzzle. But that's just how I see it.

I know you mentioned you skipped over some of the math, so here's the abbreviated version:I looked at all QBs (the majority of which are white). I saw how they played in the NFL, relative to their draft position. This enabled me to put a number on what's intuitive -- i.e., Qbs drafted in the 1st round perform better than Qbs drafted in the third round; Qbs in the second round perform better than Qbs drafted in the fifth round. I could put a number on how much better they performed.

Then, I saw whether or not all black QBs have outperformed or underperformed their draft position. You could go down the list with no data, and come to similar results. It's easy to see that Ware was a bust, Cunningham a good pick, Aaron Brooks a steal, Mike Vick an underperformer, Jeff Blake an overperformer, etc. But this just put some math on those numbers.

I then, with several caveats, gave some theories that might explain the data. Make sense?
My point was, that unless you have a baseline for comparison you have no idea what the results mean.For example, it's conceivable that QB as a whole (black, white, green, or purple) have a universal prediliction that they are overvalued or undervalued.
Actually, that's where the confusion lies. That's inconceivable, based on how I did this study. Think of it as adding up all the draft values for QBs, adding up all the career value of those QBs, then assign a career value for each draft value. The average (or total, if you prefer) has to be perfectly valued.

I know you mentioned you skipped over some of the math, so here's the abbreviated version:I looked at all QBs (the majority of which are white). I saw how they played in the NFL, relative to their draft position. This enabled me to put a number on what's intuitive -- i.e., Qbs drafted in the 1st round perform better than Qbs drafted in the third round; Qbs in the second round perform better than Qbs drafted in the fifth round. I could put a number on how much better they performed.

Then, I saw whether or not all black QBs have outperformed or underperformed their draft position. You could go down the list with no data, and come to similar results. It's easy to see that Ware was a bust, Cunningham a good pick, Aaron Brooks a steal, Mike Vick an underperformer, Jeff Blake an overperformer, etc. But this just put some math on those numbers.

I then, with several caveats, gave some theories that might explain the data. Make sense?
My point was, that unless you have a baseline for comparison you have no idea what the results mean.For example, it's conceivable that QB as a whole (black, white, green, or purple) have a universal prediliction that they are overvalued or undervalued.
Actually, that's where the confusion lies. That's inconceivable, based on how I did this study. Think of it as adding up all the draft values for QBs, adding up all the career value of those QBs, then assign a career value for each draft value. The average (or total, if you prefer) has to be perfectly valued.
I get it now. You added up the results to determine the baseline, so the results are the baseline (if I said that right).

Last edited by a moderator:
If everybody is truly equal, then we should not throw tidbits on the table that suggest otherwise.
Hey WD,Who is suggesting otherwise?
You.Please read the title of the thread.
The title of the thread asks a question; it doesn't make a suggestion. "Does water fall in the opposite direction of gravity" doesn't make a suggestion, either.Additionally, even if the title did make a suggestion -- say, black QBs have been discriminated against -- that wouldn't suggest that black QBs are not equal to white QBs. It would just suggest that other people have discriminated against black QBs.

There's no suggestion anywhere that I've opined that everybody is not truly equal. I'm not sure why you saw that.

Chase

I get it now. You added up the results to determine the baseline, so the results are the baseline (if I said that right).
:thumbup:

I'm not really sure what you mean.
For many years, black players were significantly less marketable and popular to the American public as a whole, thus they didn't receive the same consideration (and for many years, comparable salaries) as white players. QB as one of the most marketable positions, drew the fans. I think there was inequality but some (or possibly a significant amount) was driven by market forces. Make the consumers happy if you want them to buy your product.
How would you determine who is a draftable college QB? I also don't have a large database full of college players. I think looking at those drafted, and seeing if they over or underperformed their draft position, is a better way to do it.
Alternately, over the same time period, look at all the colleges who had players drafted and break down by race all QBs from those colleges over the whole range.For example (caveat - these numbers are pulled outta my...): say Virginia had 9 QBs drafted during that 29 year stretch and a total of 31 starting QBs over that time. 2 of the 9 drafted QBs were black; 4 of the starting 31 were black.Because, realistically, how many QBs succeed in the NFL if they're not college starting QBs?I don't think it's an easy stat to track, mind, just possibly another piece to the equation.

What do you all consider small schools?
I would suspect most would consider non-BCS schools, weak non-BCS schools, or D-III schools fit most people's definition. A strict definition would include just D-III schools, and a broad one would include all non-BCS schools.
Oh, ok. I didn't know if you were going by size or what. East Carolina is the third largest University in NC, with a little over 24,000 students. I know some schools have twice that many students. ECU isn't a BCS school. When Jeff Blake was the quarterback, ECU wasn't even in a conference, they were Independent. When David Garrard was quarterback ECU was in (and still is) Conference USA. I thought David would go before the 4th round in the draft, but he didn't. He still holds 28 school records in football. He was really good. In 1997 he was the states top-rated high school quarterback, and he got several scholarships to football powerhouse schools, but because of his size they wanted him to play linebacker or DE. He went to a summer football camp at ECU, and Steve Logan noticed him and this is a direct quote from Logan: "He came to our football camp and I asked him where he played. I was figuring he was a defensive lineman. He said, 'quarterback.' Then he threw one over the elementary school [from the football stadium], and I thought, 'Maybe you are a quarterback."

For example (caveat - these numbers are pulled outta my...): say Virginia had 9 QBs drafted during that 29 year stretch and a total of 31 starting QBs over that time. 2 of the 9 drafted QBs were black; 4 of the starting 31 were black.Because, realistically, how many QBs succeed in the NFL if they're not college starting QBs?
End result: the NFL is generally limited by its selection pool; was "trickle up" inequality from college programs a significant factor?

If everybody is truly equal, then we should not throw tidbits on the table that suggest otherwise.
The title of the thread asks a question; it doesn't make a suggestion. "Does water fall in the opposite direction of gravity" doesn't make a suggestion, either.Additionally, even if the title did make a suggestion -- say, black QBs have been discriminated against -- that wouldn't suggest that black QBs are not equal to white QBs. It would just suggest that other people have discriminated against black QBs.

There's no suggestion anywhere that I've opined that everybody is not truly equal. I'm not sure why you saw that.

Chase
Semantics.It's nothing personal against your thread, but the act of shining a light on a topic will obviously bring implied thoughts. I think good examples lies northward in this thread. Why is there rarely discussion of Chinese, Latino, etc QB's being discriminated against?? If your answer is, "The sample size is too small," I would reply, "What is a proper sample size to conduct such a topic??

For example (caveat - these numbers are pulled outta my...): say Virginia had 9 QBs drafted during that 29 year stretch and a total of 31 starting QBs over that time. 2 of the 9 drafted QBs were black; 4 of the starting 31 were black.Because, realistically, how many QBs succeed in the NFL if they're not college starting QBs?
End result: the NFL is generally limited by its selection pool; was "trickle up" inequality from college programs a significant factor?
This is very likely a real effect, though much harder to measure. It seems likely that blacks who could play QB in Pop Warner and high school are often directed towards positions like WR and RB, as whites who could play RB and CB seem to be directed towards positions like QB, LB, and S.

Chase
Semantics.It's nothing personal against your thread, but the act of shining a light on a topic will obviously bring implied thoughts. I think good examples lies northward in this thread. Why is there rarely discussion of Chinese, Latino, etc QB's being discriminated against?? If your answer is, "The sample size is too small," I would reply, "What is a proper sample size to conduct such a topic??
Semantics matter quite a bit when you make an attack on another poster.I think it's an interesting topic, and a somewhat topical one considering it's Black History Month, and the proper perspective we now have on the '80s and '90s drafts. If you want to have a discussion on Chinese QBs, I don't think anyone would stop you.

Not really. A regression line isn't an "average" value in the way that you're describing it.

Users who are viewing this thread