What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Hawaii....help me (1 Viewer)

http://www.ritzcarlton.com/en/Properties/KapaluaMaui/Default.htm

going here next year for 7 days for my wife and my 5 year anniversary
Be careful, we ended up with a daughter out of that 5th Anniversary deal.

Daughter's middle name is Makena, named after the beach where we tied the knot. Just down the road from the Four Seasons. There's a RC property there too, and a Marriott (Category 7, if you're planning to use points).

I prefer that side of the island personally. I've stayed at all of the above properties and the Hyatt Regency Kaanapali. For our 10th, I doubt we'll leave Wailea/Makena.

There's no wrong way to go, it depends on what you're looking for. My wife and I like to rent a pool cabana, have long dinners, wake up early and split time lounging at the beach and at the cabana. And make babies, apparently. That's about it for us, so take the above info from that perspective.

Wider search of Kauai on the same sight and I find 1 bedroom condos with oceanfront/beachfront views for as little as $750 for the week, that's a GD steal if you ask me. Get away from the hotels, they cost silly money.

http://www.kauaivacationrentals.com/rental/results.html?User=KVR3600&Photos=&Limit=20&Start=1&Avail=&Stay=&NR=87&msg=&type=&complete=
Man, some of those look great. Looks like they only have weekly rates.....I wonder if anyone would do a 4-night deal!
Call, they will

A couple pages into the thread, and no love for the big island?! :kicksrock:

I know Maui is absolutely stunning. And I've spent about a month on Kauai when I was younger (aunt and uncle lived on the island). But for me, the big island is it. Some incredible beaches on the West side of the island. South Point (for whale watching and just being an insignificant speck of dust as you watch the sun go down) and Volcanoes on the South/SE end (all-kinds of hiking opportunities, if you like that sort of thing). Black sand beaches (clothing optional) and marijuana smoke so thick you probably get a buzz just walking by all those naked hippies on the East end, if that's your scene (South of Hilo a ways). A whole different vibe and gorgeous views up toward Waimea in the North. And of course, Mauna Kea. Heaven (especially if you are an astronomy geek)...and the place I hope my ashes are spread to the wind someday.

The big island has it all...except for the crowds, the expense, and all the hustle and bustle. Oahu is my least favorite island to visit, as that's not Hawaii to me. Kauai, Maui, and (for me, especially) the big island is where it's at.

Just starting some basic research for a 10th anniversary trip to Hawaii next fall. At this point, I'm not even sure what island(s) to go to. We've done a lot of all-inclusive type places in Cancun, etc, where we just lay on the beach all day. I want a little of that for this trip but some unique expereinces as well.

What island is the best for a combination of activites? How easy is it to hit multiple? We will only have 6 days since we are leaving young kids behind. Not even sure what specific activites we'd like to do but some sort of hike/bike/waterfall/volcano/type stuff. Probably 1-2 rounds of golf too. I'll shut up and listen.
Big Island is amazing but really is spread out so 6 days (2 of those are really taken up by traveling) might be a bit tight if you want to spend at least a couple of days just lounging at the hotel. There is a lot to see but I'd imagine you be staying on the Kona side and it really takes a large part of your day to drive around.

Maui has a lot of similar stuff but is smaller so you will save time there. Southwest part of Maui, near Wailea-Makena has a lot of really nice resorts and is a little more built up. The north part of the island is beautiful and less built up but can be windy and a bit wetter.

IMO you can't go wrong with either place if you are in a nice hotel. Can't say enough good things about Hawaii.

I have stayed at:

Ritz Carlton on Maui - Beautiful property, very nice rooms, was really windy which I was told is normal in the winter. Great beach really close.

Marriott Waliea Beach on Maui - Not as nice as Ritz but sunnier and less windy. Had a non kids pool which was great. A lot of great looking places just south of here if you want to spend more money.

Some cheap place near Lahaina on Maui - Would not recommend, get a place with a nice pool.

Rented houses on Big Island north of Kona near Fairmont Orchid on a couple of trips and a house near Volcanoes National Park near Hilo. Fun with a big group but not so much if just you and the wife.

Never been to Kauai or Oahu so have nothing to offer there.

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel as strongly about Kauai as datonn does about the big island, but we agree that Oahu is not where it's at. It's all a matter of what you want. Different strokes.

datonn said:
A couple pages into the thread, and no love for the big island?! :kicksrock:

I know Maui is absolutely stunning. And I've spent about a month on Kauai when I was younger (aunt and uncle lived on the island). But for me, the big island is it. Some incredible beaches on the West side of the island. South Point (for whale watching and just being an insignificant speck of dust as you watch the sun go down) and Volcanoes on the South/SE end (all-kinds of hiking opportunities, if you like that sort of thing). Black sand beaches (clothing optional) and marijuana smoke so thick you probably get a buzz just walking by all those naked hippies on the East end, if that's your scene (South of Hilo a ways). A whole different vibe and gorgeous views up toward Waimea in the North. And of course, Mauna Kea. Heaven (especially if you are an astronomy geek)...and the place I hope my ashes are spread to the wind someday.

The big island has it all...except for the crowds, the expense, and all the hustle and bustle. Oahu is my least favorite island to visit, as that's not Hawaii to me. Kauai, Maui, and (for me, especially) the big island is where it's at.
+1. Love the Big Island. Kailua Kona, Waikoloa, Volcano National Park, rainforest tours, etc... So much variety there.

Here's a 6 day itinerary for Kauai for someone who wants to get a good mix of experiences.

Day 1: Hang out at the hotel pool/beach. You just had a longish flight. Relax. If you're not staying at a hotel/resort that's located right on a beach, you're doing it wrong.

Day 2: Drive to Hanalei Bay for more beach time. Spend some time in Kapa'a and Princeville on the way. It's a great drive.

Day 3: Drive to some Waimea Canyon overlook spots. Alternatively, the hikes around here are some of the best if you are in decent shape. You can also fit in Poipu in the same day. At night, take a sunset dinner cruise of the Na'Pali coast. You also have the option of taking a snorkel cruise of the coast.

Day 4: More beach/lounging time. This is what you do in a place like Hawaii. Maybe learn to do that stand up surfboard thing everybody there does.

Day 5: Kayak the Wailua River. This is not to be missed IMO. It's beautiful. You can rent your own kayak or take the tour if inexperienced.

Day 6: You may be tired after the kayaking so some more lazy beach time is not out of the question. You can also catch a luau if you're so inclined. Another option for the adventurous is a helicopter tour of the island.

I'd have to look up the exact spots, but best shave ice on Kauai is either a place in Poipu or a beat up truck just outside of Hanalei. This is another must do.

Perfect amount of time to take in the best of the island. I don't know what I would want to take off that list if I were inclined to island hop.

In extreme general, on Maui if you were to draw a line from Kahului to Kehei, anything east of there is interesting and fun. Anything west of there...not really.

zoonation said:
Aaron Rudnicki said:
zoonation said:
With only 6 days multiple islands is totally out of the question.
disagree3 days on Maui and 3 days on Kaui
So 3 total travel days? 50%.

IMO six days isn't even enough time to go period. There is significant jet lag the first morning too.

10 days is too short to change islands. I've done it, but that was on a 17 day trip. The travel day is not a proper vacation day.
17 days? Child's play. Don't even bother if you don't have a month. A year is better though and probably would allow for some inter-island travel but not too much.

If you go on any of the travel forums the universal opinion will be that 10 days isn't worth it to switch islands. 6 days is insane IMO. Just enough time to wish you had more of it on each island. Like I said, to each their own I guess.

Hawaii is a place I go to relax. Not try to keep up with the Griswald itinerary.

Assuming you travelled to Kauai on day three, it would be crazy IMO to do the Napali Coast, which I agree is a must - best hike I've ever been on by a mile (and takes 7 hours if you hit the falls) - on day 4 and then drive all the way over to the west coast (2 hours each way) to see Waimea on day 5. that leaves your travel day to do something like snorkel at Tunnels, spend the day hanging at Hanalei Bay, take a surf lesson or rent a paddle board. Or cruising the cool shops in Kapaa is a nice way to spend an afternoon.

Go to the Hawaii trip advisor forums. My guess is you'll find 1 out of 10 people who would even consider switching islands on a 6 day trip. I guess it can be done, but it would very unusual.

zoonation said:
Aaron Rudnicki said:
zoonation said:
With only 6 days multiple islands is totally out of the question.
disagree3 days on Maui and 3 days on Kaui
So 3 total travel days? 50%.

IMO six days isn't even enough time to go period. There is significant jet lag the first morning too.

10 days is too short to change islands. I've done it, but that was on a 17 day trip. The travel day is not a proper vacation day.
17 days? Child's play. Don't even bother if you don't have a month. A year is better though and probably would allow for some inter-island travel but not too much.
lol. 17 days is so crazy...

If you go on any of the travel forums the universal opinion will be that 10 days isn't worth it to switch islands. 6 days is insane IMO. Just enough time to wish you had more of it on each island. Like I said, to each their own I guess.

Hawaii is a place I go to relax. Not try to keep up with the Griswald itinerary.

Assuming you travelled to Kauai on day three, it would be crazy IMO to do the Napali Coast, which I agree is a must - best hike I've ever been on by a mile (and takes 7 hours if you hit the falls) - on day 4 and then drive all the way over to the west coast (2 hours each way) to see Waimea on day 5. that leaves your travel day to do something like snorkel at Tunnels, spend the day hanging at Hanalei Bay, take a surf lesson or rent a paddle board. Or cruising the cool shops in Kapaa is a nice way to spend an afternoon.

Go to the Hawaii trip advisor forums. My guess is you'll find 1 out of 10 people who would even consider switching islands on a 6 day trip. I guess it can be done, but it would very unusual.
:goodposting:

We took a cruise there and are very happy. Like Rude said, we looked at it as a once in a lifetime thing. Maybe we can save the money and go back in another 15 years or so, but we knew we might not get back. We hit every island and did something on each. Sure, we didnt really get a great feel for the islands as a whole, but we cant say, I wish we would have gone there.

You cant really go wrong IMO

INSANE to take a 1 hour flight!?

lolol
give a sample itinerary of a six day trip that includes island hopping. I can only speak for Kauai, but there is no way you can soak in the majority of what it has to offer in just 3 days, no, 2.5 days because half of one of those days being travel time.

lolol
it's not just the 1 hour though is it? If you stayed in Kihei it is a 45 minute drive to the airport and you have to be there an hour early. Then from the airport in Kauai to the north shore (where I would recommend staying) is another 45 minute-1 hour drive after you get your bags and rental car (30 mins to an hour) it is a 4 hour process easily. Just what you want on what is already a very tight trip when you have taken a 7+ hour flight just to get there.

Float the idea at trip advisor and report back. I know...ALL of those people are wrong too.

lolol
give a sample itinerary of a six day trip that includes island hopping. I can only speak for Kauai, but there is no way you can soak in the majority of what it has to offer in just 3 days, no, 2.5 days because half of one of those days being travel time.
You can't soak in the majority of what any of the islands has to offer in 3-6 months...so what's the difference?! :shrug:

And I know you didn't mean it this way...but travel IMHO isn't about crossing 60 items off a To Do List. A list of sites and activities that you've "conquered." It's about just "being" without having to worry about work, deadlines, et al. If someone is going to Hawaii and thinking "I've gotta do these hundred things and visit these hundred places so I can say I've been there (and/or impress all my friends and family back home and on Facebook)," they're doing it wrong. Completely wrong.

My wife and I spent a week on the big island last March, then bugged out to Oahu for three days...so she could say she had seen A/B/C/X/Y/Z (Diamond Head, USS Arizona memorial, Waikiki Beach, et al). And while the first seven days of our vacation were completely about the "chillax" and meandering, WONDERFUL...seeing what was around the next rock outcropping or bend in the road with no places to be or rush/deadlines, the last three days felt like we were running a 5K. And as we were flying home, she said "I'm glad I saw that stuff on Oahu. But if I had to do it again? I would have spent three more days on the big island...as Oahu wasn't relaxing at all." Amen. That's what I tried to tell her...the previous October (when we were booking the tickets and lodging), but anyone who is married knows that when it comes to children, family, or travel plans, "women know best." Even if they don't have a clue about a lot of things...but they'll still remind you that they are one heck of a lot smarter than you are. :P

lolol
Kauai:

Day 1: Land early, drive to see Waimea. Have a nice dinner at the Beach House.

Day 2: Head up to the north shore. See Hanalei Bay. Take a hike along the Na Pali Coast. Take a helicopter tour of the island.

Day 3: Do whatever else you want to do.

Maui:

Day 1: Drive up Haleakala. Maybe throw in a luau. Take a boat out to snorkel Molokini.

Day 2: Road to Hana

OMG, that's INSANE!!!!!!!

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28932-i36-k6963973-Please_help_me_with_itinerary-Hawaii.html

Family planning a 12 day trip and people in the thread recommend only 2 islands, which is what I would agree with. They also agree that a flight is more than just 1 hour, it will take up half a day.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28932-i36-k6958483-20_days_Big_Island_Maui_Kauai-Hawaii.html

Here is a thread with someone planning 3 islands on a 20 day trip and still there is someone recommending 2 islands. I think you could fit 3 in with this length of time.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28932-i36-k3450636-Island_hopping-Hawaii.html#24758914

Someone asking about island hopping on a 9 day trip and the response for that suggests that 2 islands is close to pushing it.

I can find more if needed. The vast majority of people who island hop are on trips longer than 1 week.

lolol
Kauai:

Day 2: Head up to the north shore. See Hanalei Bay. Take a hike along the Na Pali Coast. Take a helicopter tour of the island.

Maui:

Day 1: Drive up Haleakala

Day 3: Do whatever else you want to do

Day 2 of Kauai is way too loaded. Napali coast hike is hours and you will be exhausted. You have to choose one of those three options and skip the rest.

That itinerary also has no down time at all. The vacation will go by in a heartbeat and you will be exhausted after it. I've done both kinds of trips and Hawaii is by far best when you have downtime days at the beach in between your activities.

I can find more if needed. The vast majority of people who island hop are on trips longer than 1 week.
It's not needed. What works for you and others doesn't mean it's "insane" or "impossible" or whatever other ridiculous words you want to use here for anyone else who may want to see more of the islands on there first trip there.

Let's see your 2 island six day itinerary there Clark...
scroll up, Copernicus

I know it's no 17-day adventure like you are used to, but it allows one to hit the high points of both islands in a short trip.

That itinerary also has no down time at all.
I have 2 DAYS with NOTHING PLANNED

:lmao:
So your idea of seeing Kauai is just seeing Waimea canyon, having dinner, and picking one of helicopter/Napali/Hanalei? I could not in good faith give this as a suggested intinerary for someone who wanted to see the island.

you also skipped the flight to Maui on your itinerary. that's half of one of those days, not just one hour like you claim.

You're assuming you land in Kauai early on the first day but that doesn't really happen. If you leave the mainland early, you're not getting to Kauai until mid day. If there are red eye flights, you will be exhausted.

I am partial to The Big Island, having gone to high school there, but Maui, Kauai or Big Island, you can't really go wrong.

Put me down for the condo rental over the expensive, touristy luxury hotel. Also don't forget about B&B's. We stayed at a nice one in Kona a few years back & would def go that route again. My Aunt owns a B&B in Hilo, but I won't recommend Hilo as a vacation destination as it is not what most tourists are looking for in a Hawaiian Holiday (sorry Auntie C!)

If you do go Big Island, make sure to hike Kilauea Iki in Volcanoes Nat'l Park. Fantastic 3 mile hike across the floor of volcano crater.

lolol
Kauai:

Maui:

Day 1: Drive up Haleakala. Maybe throw in a luau. Take a boat out to snorkel Molokini.

lol. I'm done here. That itinerary is bonkers and day 2 in Kauai isn't even possible.

"Hey Dad, can we stop for lunch?"

"No time Russ. We gotta drive back to the other side of the island to get on helicopter now!"

"Do whatever you want to do" = get on a plane that day.

"Hey everyone, I went to Hawaii and had the most exhausting trip ever! BUT I SAW TWO ISLANDS!!!!"

So your idea of seeing Kauai is just seeing Waimea canyon, having dinner, and picking one of helicopter/Napali/Hanalei? I could not in good faith give this as a suggested intinerary for someone who wanted to see the island.

you also skipped the flight to Maui on your itinerary. that's half of one of those days, not just one hour like you claim.

You're assuming you land in Kauai early on the first day but that doesn't really happen. If you leave the mainland early, you're not getting to Kauai until mid day. If there are red eye flights, you will be exhausted.
when I went last year, we flew into Maui in the evening so that was a day of travel which didn't leave a chance to do much.

then we had 3 full days on the island. did Road to Hana for one full day. went diving off Molokini one morning and had a luau in Lahaina in the evening with some relaxing beach time in between. the other day I know we did sunset on Haleakala but I don't even remember what else we did.

we flew to Kauai very early on the 4th day and arrived in time to have breakfast. we actually didn't do much that day other than drive around a bit and have a nice dinner at the Beach House. then the next day we drove to Waimea in the morning and made our way up to the North Shore for a helicopter tour late in the day. The third day we went back up and spent the day hiking the Na Pali Coast and hanging out around Hanalei Bay and Princeville.

Next day we got up to watch the sunrise and then headed off to the airport to fly back home.

So, we were there 7 nights total but had 6 full days of time to enjoy both islands and I'm glad we did. Sure, we could have used an extra day or so at either to relax or explore more. But it worked for us and I would have regretted it if we didn't make it to both places since I don't know when I'll ever get a chance to return.

I am partial to The Big Island, having gone to high school there, but Maui, Kauai or Big Island, you can't really go wrong.

Put me down for the condo rental over the expensive, touristy luxury hotel. Also don't forget about B&B's. We stayed at a nice one in Kona a few years back & would def go that route again. My Aunt owns a B&B in Hilo, but I won't recommend Hilo as a vacation destination as it is not what most tourists are looking for in a Hawaiian Holiday (sorry Auntie C!)

If you do go Big Island, make sure to hike Kilauea Iki in Volcanoes Nat'l Park. Fantastic 3 mile hike across the floor of volcano crater.
^ This. My wife and I actually rented a small cottage on a fruit farm for a week...about 20-25 minutes North of Hilo. Kona seems to be where most of the tourist action is. But we try our darnedest to not be "tourists" when we're visiting places (racing from one destination to the next, worried more about checking places off our To See List than actually enjoying where we are). The Pacific Tsunami Museum in Hilo was interesting. And Hilo actually was a decent "home base" from which to strike-out in various directions each day to explore the island. I wouldn't have wanted to spend a lot of our time in Hilo though...as it wasn't the greatest, and it rained ALL...THE...TIME.

Kilauea Iki is phenomenal too...one of our favorite memories of our time on the island. Though for me, Mauna Kea is it. Talking to the park ranger about the hike (kind of giving you an "interview" to make sure you're physically and mentally fit enough to make the climb), checking in (in case they need to come searching for you if you don't make it back down), then slowly but steadily making your way up to the telescopes, through the clouds that day. I made it to within about 1.25 miles of the top...but it was very cold (even with my winter hat/coat/gloves), and the sun was setting, so I had to end my hike and head over to the road. On my way down, an ex-Navy guy and his wife were kind enough to ask if I wanted a ride...and they brought me up to the top with them. Phenomenal. Worth the ridicule I took from people asking why I packed Winter clothes for a vacation to Hawaii! :)

Actually, if it were up to me? I'd love to stay somewhere close to Mauna Kea in the CENTER of the island...then pick a different direction to head out from there each day. But part of the beauty of Mauna Kea is that it's so quiet/remote. And watching the sun go down in the midst of Keck and those other telescopes...seeing Maui off in the distance? I could SOOOOOO spend the rest of my life there...just "being."

when I went last year, we flew into Maui in the evening so that was a day of travel which didn't leave a chance to do much.

then we had 3 full days on the island. did Road to Hana for one full day. went diving off Molokini one morning and had a luau in Lahaina in the evening with some relaxing beach time in between. the other day I know we did sunset on Haleakala but I don't even remember what else we did.

we flew to Kauai very early on the 4th day and arrived in time to have breakfast. we actually didn't do much that day other than drive around a bit and have a nice dinner at the Beach House. then the next day we drove to Waimea in the morning and made our way up to the North Shore for a helicopter tour late in the day. The third day we went back up and spent the day hiking the Na Pali Coast and hanging out around Hanalei Bay and Princeville.

Next day we got up to watch the sunrise and then headed off to the airport to fly back home.

So, we were there 7 nights total but had 6 full days of time to enjoy both islands and I'm glad we did. Sure, we could have used an extra day or so at either to relax or explore more. But it worked for us and I would have regretted it if we didn't make it to both places since I don't know when I'll ever get a chance to return.
this is very much a case of what works for one person doesn't work for the other, but you need to realize that such a trip to Hawaii is not going to be recommended by a lot of experienced travelers. I think you need to state this when making the recommendation of such a hectic trip.

lolol
it's not just the 1 hour though is it? If you stayed in Kihei it is a 45 minute drive to the airport and you have to be there an hour early. Then from the airport in Kauai to the north shore (where I would recommend staying) is another 45 minute-1 hour drive after you get your bags and rental car (30 mins to an hour) it is a 4 hour process easily. Just what you want on what is already a very tight trip when you have taken a 7+ hour flight just to get there.

Float the idea at trip advisor and report back. I know...ALL of those people are wrong too.
lol

Why is trip advisor the king of travel itinerary advice? Analogous to listening to the idiots in the Shark Pool for Magic Football advice. Just a bunch of lemmings following each other off the cliff in both places.

Seems to me to be a personal choice issue. Trip advisor is probably ok for hotel or restaurant advice but there's no way I'd rely on them to plan my itinerary.

lolol

lol

Why is trip advisor the king of travel itinerary advice? Analogous to listening to the idiots in the Shark Pool for Magic Football advice. Just a bunch of lemmings following each other off the cliff in both places.

Seems to me to be a personal choice issue. Trip advisor is probably ok for hotel or restaurant advice but there's no way I'd rely on them to plan my itinerary.
Wrong. the trip advisor forums are an incredibly good resource. I used them for all my Hawaii trips, and for my 20 day multi-city European honeymoon. There's some good advice from experienced travelers on those forums.

this is very much a case of what works for one person doesn't work for the other
I've said as much.

I'm not the one in here saying someone is "INSANE" to change islands unless they are in Hawaii for a minimum of 10 days.

flying from one island to another is about a 4 hour block of time from hotel door to door depending on where you are staying. those airports are tiny. it's more like a commuter train station when you're jumping from one island to another.

lolol
Kauai:

Maui:

We got half way to Hana and decided to turn around and go back to the beach. We waited too late in our schedule to spend a day in the car.

Kauai

Day 1: Check in and agree with Scores, just hit the beach and get settled in, maybe a nice dinner.

Day 2: Tunnels beach for snorkeling, highly recommend you do this early on because you might want to come back to it. There are other things you can do in the same day but we're talking a shaved ice over macadamia nut ice cream expedition. QUUEN'S BATH needs to be explored, not sure if that is Princeville, might be close to it.

Another thing is you are gonna be ZONKED at the end of these days. I am a night owl but once you check into your condo in the evening and you sit on that balcony with the waves crashing into the rocks-soothing, you are gonna be lights out after a glass or two of wine. You will find yourself going to bed by 8:00 at night because Kauai is not about nightlife, it's about getting up early and soaking in as much of the day as possible IMO.

-BUY THAT BLUE BOOK I LINKED ASAP, you and your wife will love reading thru it and get all kinds of good ideas.

Day 3: We took a helicopter ride with no doors(scary as hell for me) over the very top of the mountains on the island and then we landed by a waterfall and ate lunch, swam near the waterfall, climb back in and back to the landing pad after some more beautiful sight seeing including the Na Pali Coastline which you can then gauge of you want to hike this thing in the next couple days. I am encouraging you to stay in a condo type place, you can visit the resorts and have lunch/dinner/drinks there but with all the $$$ you save you can go on amazing daily excursions.

Day 4: I would go on one of the boat rides that takes you out by the Na Pali Coast and then into tunnels where you would never be able to see if not on these boats. Usually a 3-4 hour trip and you want the boats that have a cover to top else you roast out there, it's hot in Hawaii. Afteroon some more beach and sight seeing.

Day 5: Either the hike on the Na Pali or at least a hike around it that is a little less rigorous and amazing scenes. Afternoon head to Princeville, you can go in some of the resorts and act like you are staying there but just cozy up for a drink and the view. You might really like Princeville.

Day 6: Bye Bye Kauai

There's a Wal Mart near the airport when you fly in, don't waste a lot of space packing tons of stuff, just pick some essentials up when you get there. I wouldn't pack a lot of pants, you'll never wear them other than maybe a night or two at a fancy place if that fancies you.

BUY THE BLUE BOOK!!!

this is very much a case of what works for one person doesn't work for the other
I've said as much.

I'm not the one in here saying someone is "INSANE" to change islands unless they are in Hawaii for a minimum of 10 days.

flying from one island to another is about a 4 hour block of time from hotel door to door depending on where you are staying. those airports are tiny. it's more like a commuter train station when you're jumping from one island to another.
"INSANE" is a bit hyperbole (I don't think I'm the one who said it), but it's not far off from it either. Most people go to Hawaii partially to relax, and cramming two islands in 6 days is not going to be very relaxing, it's going to be hectic. OP, keep that in mind when/if deciding to island hop.

lolol

lol

Wrong. the trip advisor forums are an incredibly good resource. I used them for all my Hawaii trips, and for my 20 day multi-city European honeymoon. There's some good advice from experienced travelers on those forums.
OK Scoresman. Like I said, probably ok for certain types of advice i.e. hotels and restaurants and I will add that you can probably get info on excursions but relying on their advice as to whether you should break up a 6-day trip is stupid. Even then, some of their advice is terrible--my wife booked a hotel in Mexico based on the 4- and 5-star ratings from past guests and it was terrible. A bunch of people who'd never been out of the country before giving advice as if they're experts.

I've traveled more than most--lived on 3 different contingents and have ~3MM miles on AA. Probably ~1MM on other airlines. One thing I know for sure is that my family and I have our own way of doing things and taking itinerary advice from someone named "Scoresman" or idiots on Trip Advisor isn't one of them.

lolol

lol

OK Scoresman. Like I said, probably ok for certain types of advice i.e. hotels and restaurants and I will add that you can probably get info on excursions but relying on their advice as to whether you should break up a 6-day trip is stupid. Even then, some of their advice is terrible--my wife booked a hotel in Mexico based on the 4- and 5-star ratings from past guests and it was terrible. A bunch of people who'd never been out of the country before giving advice as if they're experts.

I've traveled more than most--lived on 3 different contingents and have ~3MM miles on AA. Probably ~1MM on other airlines. One thing I know for sure is that my family and I have our own way of doing things and taking itinerary advice from someone named "Scoresman" or idiots on Trip Advisor isn't one of them.
OK "Whitetail Hunter"

I've said as much.

"INSANE" is a bit hyperbole (I don't think I'm the one who said it), but it's not far off from it either. Most people go to Hawaii partially to relax, and cramming two islands in 6 days is not going to be very relaxing, it's going to be hectic. OP, keep that in mind when/if deciding to island hop.
Scoresman has been to Europe and Hawaii--he knows travel!!!

And no offense Aaron but 1 hour to get into the airport, pass thru security, board the plane, not long int the air, then land, get your bags, there is no way you are on and off the plane, in and out of the airport in 1 hour.

I would say with driving to the airport, security checks, landing, get to the new place...you are looking at like 3-4 hours IMO, maybe you can do it in 2-3. I'm not gonna say it is half your day but that kind of stuff wears me out.

I would focus on one island whether it's Maui or Kauai. I also think if you come form a more rural part of the country, Maui might be better as they have a much bigger nightlife. Kauai is peaceful, relaxing, a good place to become one with nature.

I've said as much.

Scoresman has been to Europe and Hawaii--he knows travel!!!
yes because those are the only two places I mentioned, those must be the only two places I've been.

lolol

lol

OK "Whitetail Hunter"

I am well known on this board but my original name got banned until December. This is an alias account.

Was your trip to Europe your first time out of the country?

And you must must must do a luau while you are there. It might not sound great but they cook a few pigs down int he ground Hawaii style, there are several companies and outfits that specialize in it, we loved it and we went with one that wasn't so cheesy, the dancers were entertaining and they had fire rings, food was delicious.

And no offense Aaron but 1 hour to get into the airport, pass thru security, board the plane, not long int the air, then land, get your bags, there is no way you are on and off the plane, in and out of the airport in 1 hour.
get your bags? from the overhead compartment?

it's a 6-day vacation in Hawaii. How many flip flops and Tommy Bahama shirts are you packing that you would need to check luggage?

maybe these awesome TripAdvisor forums we keep hearing about can give some better advice for you guys on getting in and out of an airport more efficiently.

the security line at Maui for inter-island flights was about 90 seconds long when I was there last October.

lolol

lol

OK "Whitetail Hunter"

I am well known on this board but my original name got banned until December. This is an alias account.

Was your trip to Europe your first time out of the country?
No, I lost count how many times I've been out of the country. My wife and I do not have kids. Our passion is travel. There is no need to get into a pissing contest of who has traveled more. It's obvious we are both experienced.

get your bags? from the overhead compartment?

it's a 6-day vacation in Hawaii. How many flip flops and Tommy Bahama shirts are you packing that you would need to check luggage?

Users who are viewing this thread