What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Hawks Land Julian Peterson! (1 Viewer)

AWESOME!!!!

PLease say that Abraham is next!!!
or a CB like Law or Woodson.
:X both VERY over-rated for the money they want!!!
With the way the Seattle FO approaches it, I think you will be surprised at what they sign for. Seattle isn't going to be stupid and overpay.
I hope not.Still, Peterson and Burleson offsets a bad Hutch day.
I think Abraham will be signed in the next few days as well. According to Schefter, the Hawks have exclusive negotiating rights for Abraham.

AWESOME!!!!

With the way the Seattle FO approaches it, I think you will be surprised at what they sign for. Seattle isn't going to be stupid and overpay.
I think Abraham will be signed in the next few days as well. According to Schefter, the Hawks have exclusive negotiating rights for Abraham.
oooh, I like where this is going.GO RUSKELL GO!!!

AWESOME!!!!

oooh, I like where this is going.GO RUSKELL GO!!!
I was a little taken back when Hutsh was first given the trans tag but I knew that R & R knew what they were doing after cleaning up last year. So long Hutch, thanks for the hard work and enjoy your dough. Keep it coming Tim and Mike, sign these #####es and lets go back to the SB!

Peterson has been hidden on a bad 49ers team for too long. His stock will soar with the exposure that comes from playing for the Super Bowl champs*.

7 yrs $54 million!!!!! yowza. that's pretty f'n steep.
Per ESPN:One of the busiest teams of the offseason struck again when the Seattle Seahawks reached agreement with former San Francisco linebacker Julian Peterson on a blockbuster seven-year, $54 million deal.

The deal, which the Seahawks and agent Kevin Poston spent today finalizing, includes $18.5 million worth of guarantees, including $10 million this season.

FWIW:

18.5 in guarantees sure seems like a lot to me.

7 yrs $54 million!!!!!  yowza.  that's pretty f'n steep.
Per ESPN:One of the busiest teams of the offseason struck again when the Seattle Seahawks reached agreement with former San Francisco linebacker Julian Peterson on a blockbuster seven-year, $54 million deal.

The deal, which the Seahawks and agent Kevin Poston spent today finalizing, includes $18.5 million worth of guarantees, including $10 million this season.

FWIW:

:lmao: HORRIBLE

I guess thats why the Postons have clients though.

7 yrs $54 million!!!!! yowza. that's pretty f'n steep.

FWIW:

Seems alot less than 49 million now doesn't it. ;) There is supposedly a 10 million hit this year which means that the other 6 years only has 8 million of guaranteed money. 8.5 million over 6 years is very good.

The Hawks had lots of cap room to take the big hit this year and sign him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Peterson has been hidden on a bad 49ers team for too long.
Very true. For those that haven't seen Peterson play it won't mean much, but he's the real deal. A real difference maker.

Peterson has been hidden on a bad 49ers team for too long. His stock will soar with the exposure that comes from playing for the Super Bowl champs*.
Unfortunately he has been hidden on injured reserve. You can only pay for "potential" for so long before you look back and realize how much you have overpaid for so long.

Unfortunately he has been hidden on injured reserve. You can only pay for "potential" for so long before you look back and realize how much you have overpaid for so long.
He was earning his $ before the injury, actually playing above his salary. Whether or not he gets back to that level remains to be seen but he was one of the best in the league at the time of his injury and was still improving.

i'm stoked because i have peterson in a few dynasty IDP leagues... i traded for him a year ago in one league & didn't trade him in another in which i just inherited a roster because i knew this day was coming & hoped he would land in a good situation...

things to like... good surrounding talent in wistrom, fisher, bernard & tubbs on DL, tatupu & hill at LB... trufant & boulware in secondary...

he is only 27...

already two time pro bowler despite achilles injury in 2004 & mixed year last sesaon in which he was probably still recovering...

before he went down he was graded by some scouts as one of the top OLBs in the game along with derrick brooks...

one of the top athletes in the game with julius peppers... probably the only player in modern NFL history (maybe ever?) to have lined up at DE, LB, S & CORNERBACK... IN THE SAME GAME!! :)

may have some untapped value in that he primarily played in past at SLB (former college DE who is a good blitzer & obviously athletic enough to cover TEs, so his skill set meshes there)... the ugly, freckled, redheaded step-child of LB positions... only a few LBs score well there (marcus washington is top 20... anthony simmons in his prime racked up some serious production at one time)... if he gets to play WLB, as was speculated before he landed with a team even, he could be even more of a sideline-to-sideline playmaker, able to unleash his phenomenal pursuit speed from the backside & relatively unencumbered by blocks compared to before...

this might make the best blitzing LB trio in the NFL (may not even have to use blitzing qualifier, as noted upthread)...

peterson has the talent & skills to crack the top 20 this year... with upside...

Very true. For those that haven't seen Peterson play it won't mean much, but he's the real deal. A real difference maker.
This is bit of a gamble on the Hawks because Peterson hasn't been a difference maker for the last two seasons. Hopefully this yr he shows that he is fully recovered from the torn achilles, but that is a boat load of money for some wishful thinking on the Hawks part. Hutchinson would have been the smart money play. Hutchinson>>>>Peterson.

WLB: Hill

MLB: Tatapu

SLB: Peterson

Not to shabby. If the Hawks land Abraham, you're probably looking at next year's Super Bowl champs.

This is bit of a gamble on the Hawks because Peterson hasn't been a difference maker for the last two seasons. Hopefully this yr he shows that he is fully recovered from the torn achilles, but that is a boat load of money for some wishful thinking on the Hawks part. Hutchinson would have been the smart money play.
Exactly. They best hope for a stud OL to fall in the draft.

It's been a long time since Peterson was a real difference maker. Most peoples exposure to Peterson came 3 years ago in a game against the Chiefs when the announcers slobbered for 3 hours how amazing it was that he blanketed Gonzo the whole game. He had a great season in 2003 but I would hesitate to call it a top 2 linebacker type year. He has not beeen the same since, because of injuries, & I would have cringed if the 49ers had offered him this same contract. As a Superbowl contender with the cap space, I guess it's an ok gamble, on a rebuilding team I just don't think he is worth 10% of the cap this year.One of the negatives on Peterson coming out of college was that he was a little slow with the playbook. It did take him awhile to come around with the 49ers. He didn't play poorly his first 3 years but he certainly wasn't the player he was in his career year. I don't think he's the type of guy that you can plug in & expect immediate results.

Not to shabby. If the Hawks land Abraham, you're probably looking at next year's Super Bowl champs.
I would think that the hawks are signing Peterson because they can't get Abraham. Rumors I've heard on ESPN (sorry I couldn't find the link) is that they cant get a contract deal done with him, because he prefers Atlanta.

Not to pick at a scab here, but if they want to be a Super Bowl champ then they need to sign a Super Bowl officiating crew :nerd:

Wow...awesome move for the NFC's best team.
Add Peterson...lose Hutchinson...hmmmm. In that perspective this is maybe not so good. Breaking continuity in a top offensive line with a strong run based offense is usually not a good thing. But I would still currently rank Seattle as the #2 NFC team in 2006 behind Dallas. Six games against San Francisco, St Louis and Arizona give the Hawks a nice jump on homefield versus the rest of the NFC... :football:
:lmao: :loco: :confused: :eek: :thumbdown: :shock: :rolleyes: nuff said

7 yrs $54 million!!!!!  yowza.  that's pretty f'n steep.

FWIW:

Seems alot less than 49 million now doesn't it. ;) There is supposedly a 10 million hit this year which means that the other 6 years only has 8 million of guaranteed money. 8.5 million over 6 years is very good.

The Hawks had lots of cap room to take the big hit this year and sign him.
Well, it's $8.5M over 6 years plus base salary. But yeah, your original point that the overall dollar figure is basically meaningless is valid. It looks like it was front-loaded because the 'hawks have cap space to burn this year but don't want to commit future cap space to someone just yet. Looks like a sound plan.

"trying to buy a Super Bowl", blah, blah, blah . . . ;)

Wow...awesome move for the NFC's best team.
Add Peterson...lose Hutchinson...hmmmm. In that perspective this is maybe not so good. Breaking continuity in a top offensive line with a strong run based offense is usually not a good thing. But I would still currently rank Seattle as the #2 NFC team in 2006 behind Dallas. Six games against San Francisco, St Louis and Arizona give the Hawks a nice jump on homefield versus the rest of the NFC... :football:
Even if they lose 20% of their run based offense (BTW they're 50-50 run/pass) that's still over 1500 yds and over 20 TDs. They'll stick a starting caliber lineman in there so I'd say the dropoff would be a lot less than 20%. This is a guard we're talking about, not Walter Jones. And whoever is in there will be sandwiched between 2 probowlers, with another probowler (Strong) behind them. As for Dallas as #1, that's a good one. Bledsoe and Julius "I hurt all over" Jones over ProBowl starters Hass and Alexander. And an improved D who already started out as tops against the run. You;re right, we better watch out for Dallas.

They have Hutch. :bye: Hawks to let Hutchinson go

Hours after losing a ruling by an arbitrator, the Seahawks apparently have decided to let a deadline pass to match a rich offer sheet to offensive lineman Steve Hutchinson, who will become a Minnesota Viking. Details shortly.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/
As a Rams fan, I love Hutch leaving. Not so happy with Peterson going there though. Not with a new Offense being instilled. I hope SJax gets the blocking schemes down or Bulger could be killed with those Seahawk Linebackers flying around....

Very true. For those that haven't seen Peterson play it won't mean much, but he's the real deal. A real difference maker.e
It's been a long time sinc Peterson was a real difference maker. Most peoples exposure to Peterson came 3 years ago in a game against the Chiefs when the announcers slobbered for 3 hours how amazing it was that he blanketed Gonzo the whole game. He had a great season in 2003 but I would hesitate to call it a top 2 linebacker type year. He has not beeen the same since, because of injuries, & I would have cringed if the 49ers had offered him this same contract. As a Superbowl contender with the cap space, I guess it's an ok gamble, on a rebuilding team I just don't think he is worth 10% of the cap this year.One of the negatives on Peterson coming out of college was that he was a little slow with the playbook. It did take him awhile to come around with the 49ers. He didn't play poorly his first 3 years but he certainly wasn't the player he was in his career year. I don't think he's the type of guy that you can plug in & expect immediate results.
:goodposting: He hasn't been a playmaker since 2003. If he can revert to pre-injury form, good deal. Thats a big if right now, however.

As a dynasty owner of JP, I'm not thrilled to see him at SLB for the Hawks.

As a 49er fan, I hope he plays like the JP of old for 14/16 games... ;) He was a good dude while on the 49ers.

Seattle isn't going to be stupid and overpay.
:shock: They just did with Peterson.
We have no idea yet. We have to see how the contract is structured to determine how long it actually is and the breakdown for each year. A 7 year - 54 million contract means nothing.
Agreed. This is what I and many other 'Skins fans have been trying to explain for a while now. Those big numbers make for flashy press conferences to announce signings and nothing more. The only difference here is that this appears to be a front-loaded contract, whereas the 'Skins tend to back-load theirs. But it's the same idea. It's the cap number, stupid.

Remind me, how did the H2H game last year between Dallas and Seattle go? Last second field goal by Brown won it for Seattle, right? I don't remember your Pro Bowlers Alexander and Hass doing too much in that one...and Dallas will likely have Flozell Adams, Owens, Jones and Fabini the next time they play. Hmmm.... :bye:
You do remember that the only reason it was close is because of a phantom TD by Keyshawn, right? Ok just checking.

That's a really steep price for a guy that hasn't done anything in the past two seasons. Last year he recorded only 3 sacks, and 2.5 of them came in the very first game of the season against the Rams. I hope he does well, but I think it's another good move by the 49ers to not pay this guy. It's amazing how guys like Carter and Peterson are getting paid huge when they were the key reasons why the 49ers had the worse defense in the league last year.

Wow that kind of money for a SLB. He better get double digit sacks or he is not worth it. Also I can see in two or three years him holding out and asking for more money. If you saw him the last two years you would not be this happy to get him. He isnt as fast as he once was and freelances way too much. Hope they can fill the huge hole of the offensive line. Real winners are the Vikings!!!

Remind me, how did the H2H game last year between Dallas and Seattle go? Last second field goal by Brown won it for Seattle, right? I don't remember your Pro Bowlers Alexander and Hass doing too much in that one...and Dallas will likely have Flozell Adams, Owens, Jones and Fabini the next time they play. Hmmm.... :bye:
You do remember that the only reason it was close is because of a phantom TD by Keyshawn, right? Ok just checking.
What I remember most is Alexander being held to roughly 60 yards rushing, while the Hawks leading receiver (Jurevicius) had a whopping 60 yards to his credit...at least Dallas was able to run on the Hawks as backup RB MB III had close to a 100 on the ground. And of course I do remember the fact that Dallas was missing Adams, Owens, Jones and Fabini as well...on the other side Seattle was missing DJax if I remember correctly. :football:
How did Bledsoe do? Is 124 yards, a phantom TD and 2 Ints a good game?You were missing Owens? Last time I checked, Owens was on the Eagles last season.

You can squak all you want, the Hawks beat the Cowboys last year, even with a TD that was not a TD. I find it so funny that you are trying to brag, when the Cowboys not only lost, but they lost after getting a phantom TD.

The Hawks were missing BOTH of their starting WRs, in Jackson and Engram.

That's a really steep price for a guy that hasn't done anything in the past two seasons. Last year he recorded only 3 sacks, and 2.5 of them came in the very first game of the season against the Rams. I hope he does well, but I think it's another good move by the 49ers to not pay this guy. It's amazing how guys like Carter and Peterson are getting paid huge when they were the key reasons why the 49ers had the worse defense in the league last year.
I totally agree. He has huge potential but just seems to be injured all the time and mails it in far too often. I dont think JP is worthy of a 7 year deal with $18.5MM in guaranteed money. That's not giving a guy a shot, it is commitment.

Remind me, how did the H2H game last year between Dallas and Seattle go? Last second field goal by Brown won it for Seattle, right? I don't remember your Pro Bowlers Alexander and Hass doing too much in that one...and Dallas will likely have Flozell Adams, Owens, Jones and Fabini the next time they play. Hmmm....  :bye:
What I remember most is Alexander being held to roughly 60 yards rushing, while the Hawks leading receiver (Jurevicius) had a whopping 60 yards to his credit...at least Dallas was able to run on the Hawks as backup RB MB III had close to a 100 on the ground. And of course I do remember the fact that Dallas was missing Adams, Owens, Jones and Fabini as well...on the other side Seattle was missing DJax if I remember correctly. :football:
These are all excellent points. It reminds me of that lousy game the Redskins played in week 2 where they still pulled out a win at Dallas. The Cowboys sure must have dominated the rematch. :mellow:

Users who are viewing this thread