What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

HBO Series "The Night Of" (1 Viewer)

I can't believe I have to wait almost two more weeks for episode two.  Loved it, and I think that deer head will obviously come into play.  I am sad the girl died.  She was SMOKIN hot.

Crazy that my two favorite girls on TV/Movies could use some upgrades.  Never saw that coming...

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm really mad we have to wait two more weeks for the next one.  Any chance it leaks?

I'm not sure he had only two shots. They only showed him have two shots. But when she initially got the tequila bottle out of the cupboard, it was at least two-thirds full, maybe more like three-fourths. Before she poured the first shot that we see, the bottle appears to be about half full, maybe a little less. (That might be a continuity error rather than on purpose.) Also, when he put the knife through her hand, she didn't even flinch. I don't think I've ever been drunk enough to avoid flinching in that situation, so they could have been drinking for a while before the first shots we see.

On the other hand, they weren't really slurring when they started kissing, so it didn't seem like they were nearly drunk enough to pass out. Also, he went from naked upstairs in her bedroom to somewhat clothed (undershirt and shorts) downstairs in the kitchen area when he came to. Getting dressed doesn't seem likely in pass-out mode. So something seems a bit off.

On the whole, he had a pill at the river (MDMA?), two or more shots of tequila, and some cocaine. Shortly after he came to, the female cop thought he was impaired, but the male cop said he wasn't drunk. Based on all of that, it doesn't really seem like he should have passed out or blacked out or slept through a murder. Maybe he was roofied?

If the murder was committed by somebody we've already met (besides Nas), it must be either the limo driver (who seemed to follow them out of the gas station) or Bodie's friend with the creepy stare. I kind of doubt it was a suicide, but if anybody could produce those wounds by self-infliction, I guess it's the girl who is happily unfazed when stabbed.

I'm not sure he had only two shots. They only showed him have two shots. But when she initially got the tequila bottle out of the cupboard, it was at least two-thirds full, maybe more like three-fourths. Before she poured the first shot that we see, the bottle appears to be about half full, maybe a little less. (That might be a continuity error rather than on purpose.) Also, when he put the knife through her hand, she didn't even flinch. I don't think I've ever been drunk enough to avoid flinching in that situation, so they could have been drinking for a while before the first shots we see.

On the other hand, they weren't really slurring when they started kissing, so it didn't seem like they were nearly drunk enough to pass out. Also, he went from naked upstairs in her bedroom to somewhat clothed (undershirt and shorts) downstairs in the kitchen area when he came to. Getting dressed doesn't seem likely in pass-out mode. So something seems a bit off.

On the whole, he had a pill at the river (MDMA?), two or more shots of tequila, and some cocaine. Shortly after he came to, the female cop thought he was impaired, but the male cop said he wasn't drunk. Based on all of that, it doesn't really seem like he should have passed out or blacked out or slept through a murder. Maybe he was roofied?

If the murder was committed by somebody we've already met (besides Nas), it must be either the limo driver (who seemed to follow them out of the gas station) or Bodie's friend with the creepy stare. I kind of doubt it was a suicide, but if anybody could produce those wounds by self-infliction, I guess it's the girl who is happily unfazed when stabbed.
I think she fell on the deer antlers and it was an accident.

Just watched the pilot. I'm in.  The pacing was slow but I liked it. Helped build the suspense.

Obviously a mountain of evidence against the kid but they certainly laid the ground work for the police botching the investigation. They never Mirandized him, screwed up the chain of evidence (the CSI guys that came in to do the swabbing note that the precinct cops took his clothes out of the station when they shouldn't have) and kept finger printing him after he asked for a lawyer. Hell, the black female cop touched him, his car and his clothes before she went to the crime scene. Obviously that wouldn't explain all the DNA he likely left at the scene but it would still be a red flag.

Would have been cool to see what Gandolfini would have done with the Torturro role (he was originally slated to star) but Turturro is great as well.

I could be wrong, but I think this series is giving off the wrong impression. I'm not so sure it's a murder mystery so much as a "this is how the system can screw over an innocent person" story. I wouldn't be shocked if we find out the real killer sooner than later and see that juxtaposed against the evidence that could convict Nas.  I think the bigger takeaways are the detective being friendly to Nas and coercing him in not so many words to give up his clothes and answer questions without a lawyer. 

I could be wrong, but I think this series is giving off the wrong impression. I'm not so sure it's a murder mystery so much as a "this is how the system can screw over an innocent person" story. I wouldn't be shocked if we find out the real killer sooner than later and see that juxtaposed against the evidence that could convict Nas.  I think the bigger takeaways are the detective being friendly to Nas and coercing him in not so many words to give up his clothes and answer questions without a lawyer. 
agreed 100%. I think everyone just assumes it will be a murder mystery. Im not so sure that will be the case.

bigmarc27 said:
I think the bigger takeaways are the detective being friendly to Nas and coercing him in not so many words to give up his clothes and answer questions without a lawyer. 
Given that they arrested him for a valid reason, they don't need his consent or a warrant to take his clothes. They're allowed to coerce him all they want in that respect -- by using force if necessary, which means that being friendly should be permissible as well.

And if they told him that he had a right to remain silent and a right to an attorney but he answered questions anyway, there's nothing wrong with that, either.

He said he didn't drink, so the shots may have been more affecting than normal.

Finally caught this last night.

Could he have gone more out of his way to touch everything on his way out of the apartment and then back in?

Could he have been more obvious?

Not one thing so far is going his way.

That being said, it was a good 90 minutes of TV and I'll stick around to see where it's heading.

bigmarc27 said:
If you want to see a great movie around this concept check out "The Lost Honour of Christopher Jefferies" on Netflix.  Great flick. 

In for the series. Mountain of evidence for the state, looks open shut. Only thin that's a shadow of doubt, "Bodie" says he was walking by himself, clearly was not. Turturo is going to have to prove the other guy some how broke in and killed the girl while Naz was passed out without needing to break the door or this is case closed.

Timeline wise, Bodies saw them at 10pm iish, he had 2 shots of tequila and a rail of coke, banged the chick, passed out in the kitchen and came to around 1am ish. Pretty small window for the other guy with Bodie to break in and kill her, and the motive would be a hard sell for Bodies buddy.

In for turturo, but hard to see how this plays another way from Naz doing it. Never did coke before, can you black out doing it? Struggling with that too, he only had 2 shots so it couldn't have been the booze.

Enough Q's to keep me tuned in.
They made a point of him being allergic to the cat and showed her putting it out. Looked to me like she didn't close the gate/door all the way.  Could be a way in without breaking the front door.

Amused to Death said:
They made a point of him being allergic to the cat and showed her putting it out. Looked to me like she didn't close the gate/door all the way.  Could be a way in without breaking the front door.
:thumbup:

Missed that or didn't take note mentally. That would do it! It's a foot in the door (no pun intended), State still has a lot to work with. Should be very entertaining.

Wasn't a limo driver, he was driving a hearse.  Dude put out her cigarette and alluded to him giving her a ride because of the smoking. :spookymusic:

Users who are viewing this thread