What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

HBO - Song of Ice&Fire Series -Varsity Thread - no TV only whiners (4 Viewers)

been wathcing this series on demand. only two episodes left then ill check back in here. the series almost lost me during episode three which was so boring i fell asleep. glad i stuck around cuz its been fantastic since then. :thumbup:
I will be interested to hear your opinion after the final 2 episodes as some serious ish goes down.
####in amazing. Dont know how I missed this show the first time through but so glad I came onboard late. The scene with the dragons that ended the season was amazing. Cant wait for season 2.Joffrey is such a little #####, I want the Starks to kill him so badly
Regarding comeuppance...
Be prepared to be disappointed. Martin apparently does not really believe in the feelgood comeuppance. Most of the villians in his stories just meet some unfortunate end or get killed by someone they haven't really wronged.
Except of course Tywin Lannister.

Last edited by a moderator:
been wathcing this series on demand. only two episodes left then ill check back in here. the series almost lost me during episode three which was so boring i fell asleep. glad i stuck around cuz its been fantastic since then. :thumbup:
I will be interested to hear your opinion after the final 2 episodes as some serious ish goes down.
####in amazing. Dont know how I missed this show the first time through but so glad I came onboard late. The scene with the dragons that ended the season was amazing. Cant wait for season 2.Joffrey is such a little #####, I want the Starks to kill him so badly
Regarding comeuppance...
Be prepared to be disappointed. Martin apparently does not really believe in the feelgood comeuppance. Most of the villians in his stories just meet some unfortunate end or get killed by someone they haven't really wronged.
Except of course Tywin Lannister.
Janos Slynt's demise was kinda :excited:

How many years are slated to pass over the course of the books vs. how much time will pass in real life if they manage to get to the end of the series on HBO in consecutive seasons? I mean, maybe it's giving too much credit, but I'd think the producers of the show have taken this into account already. IIRC they've already started some of the characters off a few years older in the show than they were in the books, I don't think that's an accident, they must have reasons for it beyond being unable to find decent enough younger actors.

I thought the murder of Tywin (& Shae) & the "execution" of Janos were all $#!+y
comeuppance...
All great deaths to be sure, but not at the hands you want. Martin kinda messes with you in that way. Like when Theon finds Raff or whoever is dying from gout and just kills him out of pity. If Ramsay Bolton does not die a truly awful, terrible death at the hands of Jon Snow or Stannis I am going to be :hot: .

That's about what I figured. Seems like commensurate aging would be the expected course of events in the show as well.I also always figured Arya was going to have some sort of ugly duckling/tomboy to beautiful woman sub plot, though my thoughts on that have changed a bit given the developments in her plot arc. Could still be part of the mix though.Plus, given that it seems like she's going to become an adept faceless (wo)man, the age/development stage of the actress playing her in her Arya form might not be as paramount.

I think a lot of it has to with the sex and violence. I am not sure they could get away with some of the sex scenes with a 14 year old Dany.

I think a lot of it has to with the sex and violence. I am not sure they could get away with some of the sex scenes with a 14 year old Dany.
True. I don't think the show staff did that and didn't have some idea about dealing with the repercussions of using "older" actors. Not a big deal either way to me actually. The main point is seeing if/how these characters develop through all the #### that's getting thrown at them. Maturing physically along the way, no big deal at worst, goes along with the character development at best.

True. I don't think the show staff did that and didn't have some idea about dealing with the repercussions of using "older" actors. Not a big deal either way to me actually. The main point is seeing if/how these characters develop through all the #### that's getting thrown at them. Maturing physically along the way, no big deal at worst, goes along with the character development at best.
We saw Tony Soprano and his family age, it worked well with the stories. The biggest worry IMO is a key character wanting too much money or a kid actor getting into trouble. Although with the way Martin kills characters, it may reduce the odds.

We saw Tony Soprano and his family age, it worked well with the stories. The biggest worry IMO is a key character wanting too much money or a kid actor getting into trouble. Although with the way Martin kills characters, it may reduce the odds.
Im sure they signed multi season deals.

:lmao: Oh, so you want 10x your salary? Let's see - I've got at least two more books to go, it'd be a shame if I had to go all Ned on your character.

Meanwhile, Back At The Wall . . .

GRRM can :bye: . Now, I did not hate Crows. I actually really enjoyed much of it. I liked getting to know Jaime more and seeing Cersei make mistake after ####y mistake. I even like Sansa/Alayne's chapters really for the first time in the series. I also didn't mind learning more about Dorne, although that whole thing was rather drawn out as was the whole Iron Island thing. My issue, however, is that the book seems almost completely unnecessary. I feel like what moved forward here did not need a complete stand alone novel. GRRM could have left it all in Dragons if he cut out a lot of the fluff and seemingly useless storylines. And I feel horrible for all of you readers who began the Ice and Fire series long ago. GRRM says Dragons was to be released in about a year, and then takes SIX!?!?!

So now we have Marwyn of Old Town looking for Dany, Quentyn from Dorne going to court/claim her, and Victarion going to kidnap? her for the Crow's Eye?

So the Alchemist has assumed Pate's identity. The Alchemist told Pate he was "no one" just as Arya has been trained. So The Alchemist is a faceless man? The same one who was with Arya at Harrenhall? Is he some super spy from across the narrow sea?

And so now we have another element introduced . . .the Citadel isn't as innocent as made to seem. They made sure the dragons were extinct? Do they want the White Walkers to rule or something?

Littlefinger is lying in wait for Sansa to win back Winterfell and take it for himself perhaps? I'm not sure exactly what he is trying to do. He seems to have multiple angles.

We haven't heard from Varys, but I assume he is with Tyrion, and he/they to are looking for Dany. It seems as if Varys has been tracking her and as he said to Ned Stark, he is only looking to protect the realm. And it seems that most who are not self-serving, are of the mind that Dany and her Dragons are what is best.

What book will Dany, Tyrion and Jon ride in on the dragons together and save everybody? Or will all 3 be dead by the Winds of Winter?

GRRM can :bye: . Now, I did not hate Crows. I actually really enjoyed much of it. I liked getting to know Jaime more and seeing Cersei make mistake after ####y mistake. I even like Sansa/Alayne's chapters really for the first time in the series. I also didn't mind learning more about Dorne, although that whole thing was rather drawn out as was the whole Iron Island thing. My issue, however, is that the book seems almost completely unnecessary. I feel like what moved forward here did not need a complete stand alone novel. GRRM could have left it all in Dragons if he cut out a lot of the fluff and seemingly useless storylines. And I feel horrible for all of you readers who began the Ice and Fire series long ago. GRRM says Dragons was to be released in about a year, and then takes SIX!?!?!So now we have Marwyn of Old Town looking for Dany, Quentyn from Dorne going to court/claim her, and Victarion going to kidnap? her for the Crow's Eye?So the Alchemist has assumed Pate's identity. The Alchemist told Pate he was "no one" just as Arya has been trained. So The Alchemist is a faceless man? The same one who was with Arya at Harrenhall? Is he some super spy from across the narrow sea? And so now we have another element introduced . . .the Citadel isn't as innocent as made to seem. They made sure the dragons were extinct? Do they want the White Walkers to rule or something?Littlefinger is lying in wait for Sansa to win back Winterfell and take it for himself perhaps? I'm not sure exactly what he is trying to do. He seems to have multiple angles.We haven't heard from Varys, but I assume he is with Tyrion, and he/they to are looking for Dany. It seems as if Varys has been tracking her and as he said to Ned Stark, he is only looking to protect the realm. And it seems that most who are not self-serving, are of the mind that Dany and her Dragons are what is best.What book will Dany, Tyrion and Jon ride in on the dragons together and save everybody? Or will all 3 be dead by the Winds of Winter?
Before reading this I just want to know when it takes place...I just started Swords

GRRM can :bye: . Now, I did not hate Crows. I actually really enjoyed much of it. I liked getting to know Jaime more and seeing Cersei make mistake after ####y mistake. I even like Sansa/Alayne's chapters really for the first time in the series. I also didn't mind learning more about Dorne, although that whole thing was rather drawn out as was the whole Iron Island thing. My issue, however, is that the book seems almost completely unnecessary. I feel like what moved forward here did not need a complete stand alone novel. GRRM could have left it all in Dragons if he cut out a lot of the fluff and seemingly useless storylines. And I feel horrible for all of you readers who began the Ice and Fire series long ago. GRRM says Dragons was to be released in about a year, and then takes SIX!?!?!So now we have Marwyn of Old Town looking for Dany, Quentyn from Dorne going to court/claim her, and Victarion going to kidnap? her for the Crow's Eye?So the Alchemist has assumed Pate's identity. The Alchemist told Pate he was "no one" just as Arya has been trained. So The Alchemist is a faceless man? The same one who was with Arya at Harrenhall? Is he some super spy from across the narrow sea? And so now we have another element introduced . . .the Citadel isn't as innocent as made to seem. They made sure the dragons were extinct? Do they want the White Walkers to rule or something?Littlefinger is lying in wait for Sansa to win back Winterfell and take it for himself perhaps? I'm not sure exactly what he is trying to do. He seems to have multiple angles.We haven't heard from Varys, but I assume he is with Tyrion, and he/they to are looking for Dany. It seems as if Varys has been tracking her and as he said to Ned Stark, he is only looking to protect the realm. And it seems that most who are not self-serving, are of the mind that Dany and her Dragons are what is best.What book will Dany, Tyrion and Jon ride in on the dragons together and save everybody? Or will all 3 be dead by the Winds of Winter?
Before reading this I just want to know when it takes place...I just started SwordsSorry, just finished A Feast for Crows.

So I just read the Prolouge of Dragons last night and was looking at the chapter summary and comments on it over at the Tower of the Hand. A few comments jumped out at me about things I either missed or didn't get to yet.

In context, I believe that wargs are humans who bond with wolves, whereas skinchangers can bond with anything. All the Stark children are wargs, but Bran is more than that, as he has taken Hodor.
I think one important point was, once again, the closing sentence. Wight-Thistle somehow identifies Varamyr, implying that dead risen by The Others are not without exception brainless zombies, but are able to keep some identity if their resolve/feelings are strong enough. Foreshadowing Benjen Stark as Coldhands? Makes me wonder who is stuck in the Old Bear's raven.

So I just read the Prolouge of Dragons last night and was looking at the chapter summary and comments on it over at the Tower of the Hand. A few comments jumped out at me about things I either missed or didn't get to yet.

In context, I believe that wargs are humans who bond with wolves, whereas skinchangers can bond with anything. All the Stark children are wargs, but Bran is more than that, as he has taken Hodor.
I think one important point was, once again, the closing sentence. Wight-Thistle somehow identifies Varamyr, implying that dead risen by The Others are not without exception brainless zombies, but are able to keep some identity if their resolve/feelings are strong enough. Foreshadowing Benjen Stark as Coldhands? Makes me wonder who is stuck in the Old Bear's raven.
Tower of the Hand does a pretty good job of trying to filter spoilers but I would suggest not reading chapter summaries/comments from a book until you finish the entire book :2cents:
Warg and skinchanger are interchangable terms.

Bran wargs into Hodor in ASoS at the Nightfort.

We can discuss Coldhands/Mormont's Raven seperate from ADwD or after you finish ADwD. No need to get into a conversation during your read.

Before reading this I just want to know when it takes place...I just started Swords
Sorry, just finished A Feast for Crows.
good stuff. Didn't considered Benjen, totally slipped my mind.As for Bran and his abilities, I just figured the fall brought him face to face with it and he's accepted, therefore, he has more power

Tower of the Hand does a pretty good job of trying to filter spoilers but I would suggest not reading chapter summaries/comments from a book until you finish the entire book :2cents:
Warg and skinchanger are interchangable terms.

We can discuss Coldhands/Mormont's Raven seperate from ADwD or after you finish ADwD. No need to get into a conversation during your read.
Good advice probably.I forgot about what happened at the Nightfort with them. Even reading all these one after the other, I forget or miss details. There is so much going on. How many times have you all read the books? I feel like I am going to finish Dragons and then start over with Thrones and Kings again in time for Season 2..

Tower of the Hand does a pretty good job of trying to filter spoilers but I would suggest not reading chapter summaries/comments from a book until you finish the entire book :2cents: Warg and skinchanger are interchangable terms.

Good advice probably.I forgot about what happened at the Nightfort with them. Even reading all these one after the other, I forget or miss details. There is so much going on. How many times have you all read the books? I feel like I am going to finish Dragons and then start over with Thrones and Kings again in time for Season 2..

Except for Dance I have read them all 4 times. Like Jon Snow, you know nothing until at least your first reread

Tower of the Hand does a pretty good job of trying to filter spoilers but I would suggest not reading chapter summaries/comments from a book until you finish the entire book :2cents: Warg and skinchanger are interchangable terms.

When I started reading, the 3rd book had just been published. So I have my original read with them, then a reread of them leading up to Feast. I think I did a reread sometime in '08 or '09 of all 4 books, then another reread of them when Dance was coming out. So, the first 3 - 4 times; Feast - 3 times; Dance - once.Agree with Dingo about staying away from the chapter summaries that are ahead of where ever you are in the series. But they're a great refresher if you don't wanna reread the books.

was curious about some of the casting, here is Brienne for next year. "Congrats, you won the part (because you are sort of odd looking and Brienne is a real dog in the books).

From Westeros.org

January 16, 2012

Peter Dinklage Takes Home a Globe

And he did it again: Peter Dinklage took home the Golden Globe for Best Supporting Actor for his role as Tyrion Lannister , which certainly made up for any sadness over Game of Thrones losing out to the (exceptional) Homeland for Best TV Drama.

Thanking George R.R. Martin, executive producers David Benioff and Dan Weiss, and more, Dinklage finished his acceptance speech by noting he was thinking of Martin Henderson, whom he suggested viewers Google; Henderson is a dwarf in Britain who received serious injuries when he was attacked in apparent “dwarf tossing” incident.

Here’s Dinklage’s acceptance speech below:

http://www.nbc.com/whitney/video/Supporting-Actor-TV-Series-Peter-Dinklage/1379179

ackstage Dinklage made some further remarks, and touched on what Tyrion would be doing in the second season of Game of Thrones. Like GRRM, the producers, and others, he also indicates that A Storm of Swords will take two seasons to cover according to “hearsay”, but we think that’s solid (the rumors of back-to-back filming on seasons 3 and 4, on the other hand, we’re more dubious about).

HBO’s official After Party saw Jason Momoa, Lena Headey, and Emilia Clarke join Dinklage, GRRM, Benioff and Weiss, and it looks like a fun time was had. We’re particularly keen on this photo of Momoa with Martin—you can imagine a headlock is about to follow with a demand that he bring Drogo back into the story!—and another with Momoa goofing around with Peter Dinklage and Parris (GRRM’s wife).

A few other photos: Lena Headey, Emilia Clarke, George & Parris on the red carpet, Jason Momoa & Peter Dinklage, David Benioff & D.B. Weiss.
So if Storm of Swords is broken into seasons 3 and 4, where do we think season 3 would end??Also, I am assuming that some things that are at the beginning of Storm of Swords which take place at the same time as events in Clash of Kings, will be this season. Same thing once we get to Crows and Dragons I would think.

I am bummed that no Tullys or Reeds have been cast for season 2.
Where is the Season 2 cast list? I cannot seem to find anything complete? No Reeds would really change things, wouldn't it? They may be combining them into Osha? But that doesn't make sense for the Bran and Rickon stories.

Gives us more to look forward to in season 3. :D
Some quick searching shows no Reek or Ramsay either.
This plus no Reeds may mean that the fall of Winterfell and seeming death of Bran and Rickon are pushed to next season or the story is vastly changed. I don't like either. They can't replace the Reeds with Osha without changing Rickon's story either. Edmure Tully isn't really necessary for this season I guess. Refresh my memory if I am mistaken, but he is only responcible for fighting back the Lannisters at the (I forget where) and while this turns the tide of the Blackwater, it need not be Tully who makes this error. We just need him for the Red Wedding in Season 3 or probably 4. It's looking like the remainder of the books will be a little more interwoven and broken up for the series. It seems this will need to be something like 10 seasons to tell the whole thing, and that's if GRRM sticks to 7 books. When is the last time HBO had a show with that kind of run? I'm glad I am reading the books, because I am starting to doubt HBO will be able to tell the whole story.

Where is the Season 2 cast list? I cannot seem to find anything complete? No Reeds would really change things, wouldn't it? They may be combining them into Osha? But that doesn't make sense for the Bran and Rickon stories.
Not sure if a better list exists...http://winteriscoming.net/features/cast/season-two/
Based on that I am still excited for the season but
it seems that the whole siege of Winterfell may be pushed into next season. No Big and Little Walder either, which is fine by me. So this season will culminate with Jon and the halfhand and the battle of black water. Next season will be the fall of winterfell and what? I assume the Red Wedding is then pushed to Season 4 (probably to keep Robb around a bit longer as much as anything else for TV), but how will that fit in chronologically?

Just started Dragons. Went back and read a recap of Crows, and after reading it thought, "wow, that sounds like an awesome book, too bad I don't remember it being so". I must not have been in the right mindset, or put off right away by the additional characters. I'll definitely need to go back and reread all the books, but at my pace that'll be in 2018.

Just started Dragons. Went back and read a recap of Crows, and after reading it thought, "wow, that sounds like an awesome book, too bad I don't remember it being so". I must not have been in the right mindset, or put off right away by the additional characters. I'll definitely need to go back and reread all the books, but at my pace that'll be in 2018.
I think your feelings are pretty typical about Feast. It feels unbalanced to a lot of people (because it is). I think it would be cool - once the series is done - to reorder all gazillion chapters in the story into book-chronological order, or as close as one could come. I think that would restore some balance, though not completely (______'s recent chapters are spaced waaay farther apart in time than some other characters' and _____ would probably have several chapters close together).Of course, once the series is done, new readers won't have the same level of frustration that those along for the ride now do. It would just be for whatever length of time it takes to read an individual book instead of 6 friggin years.

I think your feelings are pretty typical about Feast. It feels unbalanced to a lot of people (because it is). I think it would be cool - once the series is done - to reorder all gazillion chapters in the story into book-chronological order, or as close as one could come. I think that would restore some balance, though not completely (______'s recent chapters are spaced waaay farther apart in time than some other characters' and _____ would probably have several chapters close together).Of course, once the series is done, new readers won't have the same level of frustration that those along for the ride now do. It would just be for whatever length of time it takes to read an individual book instead of 6 friggin years.
ya, I feel for the folks who had to wait for Crows and Dragons. I was lucky enough to read them all back to back to back, so it didn't bother me much.

one thing that is sorta...interesting? maybe mildly wtf, is the number of new Point of Views he is putting into Dragons.

Selmy? didn't expect that one. (I am probably 3/4 through Dragons).

Users who are viewing this thread